[Announcement] New Subforum.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, we like movies here. I mean really like movies. So I got us a cool little addon that uses the API from TMDb and posts information about the movies. But I have a couple of things about it.
  • Only TMDb things can be put into this sub. Apparently, it messes things up if you try anything else. But each movie has a discussion thread so it's not a big deal.
  • If there is a YouTube preview, it will automatically put it into the first post.
  • We can rate movies, but once you rate it you can't change your rating so no changing your mind!
  • Why TMDb and not IMDB? Apparently the IMDB API is wonky and breaks things a lot.
Let me know what you think about it.

Dave

Staff member
Theoretically, this is supposed to automatically update the first post if stuff changes from the TMDb site. Like if a YouTube preview gets added for Ant-Man, it should update an Ant-Man thread to show the trailer. What I don't know is if this would show up as a new thread or not. Or if it works. Hope so.

edit: It does not update automatically.

Last edited:
Theoretically, this is supposed to automatically update the first post if stuff changes from the TMDb site. Like if a YouTube preview gets added for Ant-Man, it should update an Ant-Man thread to show the trailer. What I don't know is if this would show up as a new thread or not. Or if it works. Hope so.
Because we were doing such a bad job of it before?

I don't understand why you'd want to replace one of the interactive things about this place with something automatic.

GasBandit

Staff member
So how do we work this magic? Just start a thread with a title? Do we paste the TMDB link in the post?

Dave

Staff member
Because we were doing such a bad job of it before?

I don't understand why you'd want to replace one of the interactive things about this place with something automatic.
That wasn't my intention. Plus it doesn't update. I was just looking at the information and it only puts these things in new posts, not already existing. So if a movie - like Ant-Man - is updated, the information will still have to be added by hand. Win-win, baby![DOUBLEPOST=1391714273,1391714241][/DOUBLEPOST]
So how do we work this magic? Just start a thread with a title? Do we paste the TMDB link in the post?
You can either use just the number from the TMDb or the whole URL as the thread title.

Dave

Staff member
Blinking? :confused:

I see no blinking.

What browser are you on?[DOUBLEPOST=1391714777,1391714707][/DOUBLEPOST]I see it now. If nobody has rated it it blinks. That's...different.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ohh. That. I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.[DOUBLEPOST=1391715313,1391714877][/DOUBLEPOST]Neat. I like it. The subforum that is, I'm ambivalent about the blinking.

Dave

Staff member
No more blinky. I edited the blink from 1.5 seconds in the css to 0.0 seconds. Bye bye blinking.

My main complaint is that the "New Posts" link is much less accessible when you are in this subforum, because it removes you from the standard Forum menu. If there was a way to add it back in under Movies or as a main menu link, that'd fix it, I think.

Dave

Staff member
My main complaint is that the "New Posts" link is much less accessible when you are in this subforum, because it removes you from the standard Forum menu. If there was a way to add it back in under Movies or as a main menu link, that'd fix it, I think.
I'm working on this now.

My only complaint is that my New Posts tab is now clogged with a crapton of new movie posts. I'm hoping this will decrease in time.

Dave

Staff member
My only complaint is that my New Posts tab is now clogged with a crapton of new movie posts. I'm hoping this will decrease in time.
It will. I could always take that away from the New Posts for a while if you'd like.

Dave

Staff member
Can I just block that thread?
I believe you can. Just go to your name in the top right, arrow over it and click "Ignore New Posts".

I turned it back on because when I didn't have it on, nobody did anything. It'll die down.

No, I agree, it's annoying. Wouldn't be so bad if I could mark the movie sub-forum as read, but there isn't an option for that. Blech!

Right now, I'm just marking the forums as read as the page fills up and hope that the threads I'm actually interested show up in my notifications.

Just an FYI: the formatting for the movie threads sucks in Tapatalk. But that's on them, not you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

proposition!

I think the movies subforum, with the rating and what not should be mainly for discussion of THE MOVIE. Like, after it's come out. This means like, a line of demarcation saying that upcoming movie discussion, and non spoiler discussion is in Media Madness. But everything in the MMM is a spoiler zone, and fair game, and posting only for people that have seen the movie.

What do y'all think?

proposition!

I think the movies subforum, with the rating and what not should be mainly for discussion of THE MOVIE. Like, after it's come out. This means like, a line of demarcation saying that upcoming movie discussion, and non spoiler discussion is in Media Madness. But everything in the MMM is a spoiler zone, and fair game, and posting only for people that have seen the movie.

What do y'all think?
Absolutely.

It also means that we can discuss movies that are in development or even just rumors but aren't in the database yet.

I don't like it because it's different and things that are different are bad and scary, so change it back because I want everything to be the same.

It's cool.