Export thread

New Subforum.

Dave

Dave

Okay, we like movies here. I mean really like movies. So I got us a cool little addon that uses the API from TMDb and posts information about the movies. But I have a couple of things about it.
  • Only TMDb things can be put into this sub. Apparently, it messes things up if you try anything else. But each movie has a discussion thread so it's not a big deal.
  • If there is a YouTube preview, it will automatically put it into the first post.
  • We can rate movies, but once you rate it you can't change your rating so no changing your mind!
  • Why TMDb and not IMDB? Apparently the IMDB API is wonky and breaks things a lot.
Let me know what you think about it.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I retract my "what the hell is this" in the other thread!

Also I love this since I like rating things and obsessively talking about movies

Dave

Dave

Theoretically, this is supposed to automatically update the first post if stuff changes from the TMDb site. Like if a YouTube preview gets added for Ant-Man, it should update an Ant-Man thread to show the trailer. What I don't know is if this would show up as a new thread or not. Or if it works. Hope so.

edit: It does not update automatically.

evilmike

evilmike

Theoretically, this is supposed to automatically update the first post if stuff changes from the TMDb site. Like if a YouTube preview gets added for Ant-Man, it should update an Ant-Man thread to show the trailer. What I don't know is if this would show up as a new thread or not. Or if it works. Hope so.
Because we were doing such a bad job of it before?

I don't understand why you'd want to replace one of the interactive things about this place with something automatic.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So how do we work this magic? Just start a thread with a title? Do we paste the TMDB link in the post?

Dave

Dave

Because we were doing such a bad job of it before?

I don't understand why you'd want to replace one of the interactive things about this place with something automatic.
That wasn't my intention. Plus it doesn't update. I was just looking at the information and it only puts these things in new posts, not already existing. So if a movie - like Ant-Man - is updated, the information will still have to be added by hand. Win-win, baby![DOUBLEPOST=1391714273,1391714241][/DOUBLEPOST]
So how do we work this magic? Just start a thread with a title? Do we paste the TMDB link in the post?
You can either use just the number from the TMDb or the whole URL as the thread title.

Dave

Dave

Blinking? :confused:

I see no blinking.

What browser are you on?[DOUBLEPOST=1391714777,1391714707][/DOUBLEPOST]I see it now. If nobody has rated it it blinks. That's...different.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I also see no blinking on firefox in Blackend-Blue

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ohh. That. I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.[DOUBLEPOST=1391715313,1391714877][/DOUBLEPOST]Neat. I like it. The subforum that is, I'm ambivalent about the blinking.

Dave

Dave

No more blinky. I edited the blink from 1.5 seconds in the css to 0.0 seconds. Bye bye blinking.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

JULIE! *glomp!*

MindDetective

MindDetective

My main complaint is that the "New Posts" link is much less accessible when you are in this subforum, because it removes you from the standard Forum menu. If there was a way to add it back in under Movies or as a main menu link, that'd fix it, I think.

Dave

Dave

My main complaint is that the "New Posts" link is much less accessible when you are in this subforum, because it removes you from the standard Forum menu. If there was a way to add it back in under Movies or as a main menu link, that'd fix it, I think.
I'm working on this now.

Dave

Dave

How's that?

MindDetective

MindDetective

How's that?
Awesome! Thanks Dave.

Dave

Dave

Awesome! Thanks Dave.
I actually really like that. It also helps in the Arcade, Books, Member List...Why did I not do this before?

Bowielee

Bowielee

My only complaint is that my New Posts tab is now clogged with a crapton of new movie posts. I'm hoping this will decrease in time.

Dave

Dave

My only complaint is that my New Posts tab is now clogged with a crapton of new movie posts. I'm hoping this will decrease in time.
It will. I could always take that away from the New Posts for a while if you'd like.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'd prefer it, but if I'm in the minority, I'm fine with that.

Dave

Dave

I turned it off for a bit. But I may turn it back on to help generate interest.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Can I just block that thread?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Be around more, dangit!

Dave

Dave

Can I just block that thread?
I believe you can. Just go to your name in the top right, arrow over it and click "Ignore New Posts".

I turned it back on because when I didn't have it on, nobody did anything. It'll die down.

Bowielee

Bowielee

FYI, I've blocked the thread, but they're still popping up in my new posts.

Krisken

Krisken

No, I agree, it's annoying. Wouldn't be so bad if I could mark the movie sub-forum as read, but there isn't an option for that. Blech!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Right now, I'm just marking the forums as read as the page fills up and hope that the threads I'm actually interested show up in my notifications.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Just an FYI: the formatting for the movie threads sucks in Tapatalk. But that's on them, not you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bowielee

Bowielee

I hated Tapatalk so much.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

proposition!

I think the movies subforum, with the rating and what not should be mainly for discussion of THE MOVIE. Like, after it's come out. This means like, a line of demarcation saying that upcoming movie discussion, and non spoiler discussion is in Media Madness. But everything in the MMM is a spoiler zone, and fair game, and posting only for people that have seen the movie.

What do y'all think?

Krisken

Krisken

Sounds good to me.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Yep, good idea on that.

evilmike

evilmike

proposition!

I think the movies subforum, with the rating and what not should be mainly for discussion of THE MOVIE. Like, after it's come out. This means like, a line of demarcation saying that upcoming movie discussion, and non spoiler discussion is in Media Madness. But everything in the MMM is a spoiler zone, and fair game, and posting only for people that have seen the movie.

What do y'all think?
Absolutely.

It also means that we can discuss movies that are in development or even just rumors but aren't in the database yet.

Jay

Jay

FYI, I've blocked the thread, but they're still popping up in my new posts.
Same, spam galore.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't like it because it's different and things that are different are bad and scary, so change it back because I want everything to be the same.

It's cool.

evilmike

evilmike

I don't like it because it's different and things that are different are bad and scary, so change it back because I want everything to be the same.

It's cool.
Yeah, because every add-on Dave has ever tried has worked perfectly.

Jay

Jay

It's cool.
No, it's not that and it's not what I'm insinuating. Don't be like that AND a casual gamer.

I don't mind the add-on and honestly hope other folks like it. I might even peruse it when I feel like it without needing to see the content from the NEW POSTS option.

I however do mind the non-stop spam on movie content that I don't care for and I'd like it removed from my New Post feed as at this point over 50% of all new content is coming from that sub-forum. It's spam and I want it gone. I'd simply like to ignore that forum in that context just like I did to other sub-forums such as Politics & Religion. Such as it is, it doesn't work as the feature is broken.

YEY ME.

I'm sure other folks would like the same and a forum fix would be nice. Heck, I can't even quickly go to that sub-forum and click on MARK ALL READ because guess what, IT'S NOT THERE.

New site content is neat as long as it doesn't fuck up the forum experience for its members and at this point, it is. Nothing personal to Dave or anyone else involved. It is.

I don't think my opinion on this is unreasonable.

Furthermore, the politics forum cannot be ignored now as well, so I guess more broken features to look at.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I actually agree with Jay on this, especially since there's a lot of... uh, not to be mean, but really weird bizarre movies that no one has ever heard of, much less seen, being posted in there.

Dave

Dave

There is going to be an update to the addon that addresses the New Posts thing. I talked to the dev and he assures me it's only going to be about a week, if that. It's a case where it's conflicting with another addon. So be patient, it'll get fixed.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I didn't even read the responses to the OP. Mine was a joke about being a grumpy old man.

Man, you guys can be insecure.

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks Dave, appreciate you looked into it.

Jay

Jay

it's only going to be about a week......conflicting with another addon...... So be patient
K9Fn1.gif

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

okay retracting agreement with Jay due to reddit image macro dot gif

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wasted ten minutes looking for a specific gif that I can't find, so just pretend I posted something funny that sounded like a complaint at Dave.

Krisken

Krisken

I agree!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I wasted ten minutes looking for a specific gif that I can't find, so just pretend I posted something funny that sounded like a complaint at Dave.
Psst. Hey. Buddy. Have a look under my trenchcoat here.

You want a gif? I got gifs. Have a look.

strawman

strawman

Well, I may be in the minority here, but I'd rather see significant plot points in the movies, movies, movies section spoilered. It would be nice if I could read a movies reviews from members here without having significant parts given away, without clicking on spoiler buttons.

It doesn't seem like we have much spoiler discussion happening in the movie threads right now anyway, so adding a spoiler tag for the occasional thin sounds good.

When a movie demands extended discussion with spoiler info, then maybe someone could post a message with big text converting the remainder of the thread into open spoilers, perhaps a few weeks after the movie has been released. This way we don't need multiple threads, it gives a good chance for people to read several spoiler free or hidden reviews prior to the open spoiler discussion before they've seen it.

Or rather than going by weeks we could just go by pages, posts on here first page should be spoiler tagged after the first page it's fair game, open spoiler season. That way old movies would still provide functional reviews and if extended discussion occurs the participants will be able to stop spoiler in their stuff pretty quickly once the first page is full.

Well, I can hope, anyway.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I agree with stienman.

I suspect that the movies sub-forum is going to naturally become where people talk about movies in general instead of the general media sub-forum, so I think we should do one of two things.

1) Have some metric for when movies threads can go spoiler-tag free. I like the first page, or first 20 posts idea, or once the theater run is done, or when the DVD comes out, or somnething. This would be my preferred option, because people should be able to find spoiler-free reviews of specific movies, and it's not too different from what we already do.

2) If that's unpalatable, have a permanent sticky thread in the movies sub-forum for spoiler free reviews of movies just seen that is explicitly not for discussion/arguments/etc., just personal reviews. Functionally, this would split the current thread in the media forums into two: spoiler discussion would go into the individual threads in the movies sub-forum, and non-spoiler reviews would actually be moved to the sub-forum that's actually about movies.

Open to other suggestions as well, of course.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I would also like some guarantee of no spoilers before a given point.
I have a big problem keeping up on movies (time/money, but mostly time), and so I don't want a movie ruined (old OR new) just because I didn't go see it on release day, or on demand release day, or DVD/Blu-Ray release day, or even bargain bin release day. The same holds true for movies I just haven't heard about, but might've discovered years after release.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Should be fixed now. Ignore away!

Jay

Jay

k2VylmW.gif

Dave

Dave

Patience is not one of your virtues, is it? :p

Jay

Jay

Patience is not one of your virtues, is it? :p
jggXyuJ.gif

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

now I'm free to start a topic in Movies Movies Movies about my short film "Why Jay is the Worst"