New Picture Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
So, in case anybody's curious what "catastrophic failure of an electric meter jack" looks like, here's a photo my engineer brought back from my station's tower site.

Meter Jack Damage 041117.JPG

That's 000 gauge wire there that got sploded.

fade

Staff member
That was the incoming wire from the pole that burnt. Looks like it arced over to the box wall on the right maybe? Neat.

So, in case anybody's curious what "catastrophic failure of an electric meter jack" looks like, here's a photo my engineer brought back from my station's tower site.

View attachment 23664

That's 000 gauge wire there that got sploded.
sombody didnt use Anti-Ox on those wires and they didnt so much explode as you had a massive arcing event from all that oxidation build-up and the cable basically cleaved its good wire from the oxed up shit on the lug. I bet you could kill the supply, replace the lug and still have enough decent wire to reattach and restart service.

GasBandit

Staff member
That was the incoming wire from the pole that burnt. Looks like it arced over to the box wall on the right maybe? Neat.
I wish he'd gotten a picture/video of it happening. It didn't happen until after the power company managed to restore power, which was a several-hour ordeal because, in his words -

"... the internal fuse for the pad mounted high voltage step down transformer is not a standard line fuse, so none of the crews that responded had any on their trucks. And additional factor that slowed things down was that access to the transformer enclosure required a special tool that only the supervisor carries on their truck. It took over and hour and a half to even identify the fuse. This type of transformer and underground feed are unique to (my station) and there are no others like it in the Hearne system. It took numerous phone calls and texting of photos to Joe Templeton of Templeton electric to identify the fuse. It was at first thought that there were no fuses at all in Hearne, however one of the linemen found a box of them in the Electric Shop. There is now a spare on site, and all of the crews were shown how to change the fuse so this delay should not occur again."

Then when the power was restored, BZZT-KAPOW.

Then when THAT was fixed... (emphasis mine)

"... it was discovered that there was a short circuit in the high voltage power supply for the Energy-Onix transmitter. The source of the fault was traced to a shorted capacitor. Locating a replacement was hampered by the fact that Energy-Onix is no longer in business and there is no longer a source for factory parts for these transmitters. I had to go back to the original vendor of the capacitor to order a replacement. The cost for the replacement capacitor will be $890 plus overnight shipping. Owing to the fact that it was 1800 in North Carolina where the vendor is located when the order was finalized it was too late to ship yesterday, so it will be shipped today for delivery tomorrow (Thursday). The high voltage capacitor s a specialized part that is not common nor easy to locate. It is very large and not a high demand item, so they're generally not stocked by distributors. Normally this is an item that is kept in stock by the transmitter manufacturer, however since Energy-Onix ceased operations and did not transfer parts or service to another company that was not an option. We lucked out in finding that the vendor had two on the shelf. I was advised that the last production run for that capacitor was over five years ago and none were scheduled to be produced again since it was a special item for broadcast and they've receive no orders for it in over eight years."

Ha ha ha ha, I hope the budget will allow for a new transmitter for my station in the next year or two, or we're probably gonna be fuuuuuuucked.

The high voltage capacitor s a specialized part that is not common nor easy to locate. It is very large and not a high demand item, so they're generally not stocked by distributors. Normally this is an item that is kept in stock by the transmitter manufacturer, however since Energy-Onix ceased operations and did not transfer parts or service to another company that was not an option. We lucked out in finding that the vendor had two on the shelf. I was advised that the last production run for that capacitor was over five years ago and none were scheduled to be produced again since it was a special item for broadcast and they've receive no orders for it in over eight years."
You know, you might not be able to get one from a distributor, but there's always the chance you could get one custom-made for you by one of those quarter-shrinking guys. Some of those guys actually build their own capacitors since buying them premade is so expensive. The quality varies, of course.

--Patrick