My Fault I'm Female

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

Chaz, reel it in.

I like apple pies the best, personally.

I took a short term unpaid work experience job as an editing assistant in a small film company.
Now, my job was to edit. It didn’t surprise me I was also asked to make the coffee and lay out snacks for visiting clients. Fair enough – I was the bottom of the pile, after all.
But the only other woman working for the company was the project manager. When I wasn’t making the coffee, she was. And get this – she cleaned the offices every morning.
I asked her why on earth she’d do that if it’s not in her job description. She gave me to answers: because the boss refused to hire a cleaning staff, and the other employees refused to clean. If she didn’t do it, the place would be a “pigsty”.
I told her, let it become a pigsty and see how well they like it, maybe that’ll make them hire a cleaner. But she just shook her head and picked up the broom.
#HFSF, of course.

I don't get it.

Wait, so if someone makes a false accusation, then the actual instances are no longer relevant?

Not sure that is how it works.

Were you just socially pressured into stfu?

I'm not "qualified" either, other than by dint of me having an opinion, and voicing it, waiting to see whose opposing viewpoint makes more sense about this kind of shit than mine. If a different perspective/belief helps me understand men/others in general more, then I'll happily listen. But god damn it's maddening to see threads like this devolve into <video joke> instead actually speaking your mind. If I'm guilty about whinging that threads i like are tragically derailed by lulzerz, that's fine, but I think it's a cop out answer.
The reason I gave myself, and what I meant by not being qualified, was that the sexism I see the females around me suffering is kinda different of what I've been seeing in this thread, and that I don't have a clear enough opinion on this matters nor am I sufficiently sure of it.

The real reason, though, yes I guess you could say it was social pressure somehow. I just felt too much emotion and anger around and I hate in my guts feeling like I'm causing that. So I chickened out.

I'm having a very emotional day, so I guess that's part of it. I'm getting over it now, so lets keep discussing? (I mean that I'm 'back' into the discussion)

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

You really hate this place, don't you?
I don't hate it, but I think the "bitching" stories discredit the actual instances of sexism.[/QUOTE]

Then say so instead of trolling.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

The sexism I see my girl friends and girlfriend suffer is more on the lines of being regarded partly as sexual objects. It's not a job thing at all. It seems that they actually have it easier at job interviews and all that! I have also seen some female classmates get higher marks because they were females. The catch was that they were given those because 'oh poor women they won't get anywhere in science'. A bit humiliating in my opinion. It may be the same in some instances of getting jobs or getting to work in certain labs... the guy hiring or choosing them thinks, inadvertedly or not, partly or fully, with his penis.

It's just one of those easy excuses to make in life.

"They're overreacting - I disregard them."

Although not quite as pompous as my favourite:

"They're just jealous - I disregard them."

Truth, but that's almost another example!

There are a LOT of people, where as soon as they can marginalize a person as overreacting, jealous, or a "hater", assume that their protestations can just be ignored.

I actually agree with Chaz that that story about the person cleaning up after everyone else isn't really sexist. It could be anyone that has a lower breaking point of filth than others. I wouldn't post those stories if I were in charge of that blog! But I'm not. That doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of good examples of casual sexism on that site. I still think more good examples than not.

Certainly within any group of people, there will be some who have legitimate complaints and others who are just feeling victimized. The story way back on the first page about the women playing the instrument was an example of that, I thought. It's hard to say for sure whether the man who thought she was learning was commenting on her sloppy performance, or was making some hurtful commentary about "wimmin can't play no musics", but to ASSUME that he was startin' shit is kind of a leap to make.

If nothing else, can we all agree that maybe this blog is kinda... sensationalist?

C

Chibibar

I learn a while back (from having female friends) that "venting" works differently from male and female.

Note: The following are from my viewpoint and from my female friends. Not all male and female are built the same way. Kinda like the book "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus" (not a bad read to get the basic idea)

Most of the time, men vent and hope to get a solution.
Women vent, just to vent. kinda like "Get off their chest" and it is all good.

The problem arise when Women vent to a man. The man automatically assume she is seeking a solution (unless they learn a while back just to listen) and thus compile the "venting" and figure out a solution. If the solution is so simple or the problem seem to be "not worth the effort" the man would normally just say "you are just taking way out of context"

This is the same for women when a man vent to a women. The women will just listen and then move on while the man is waiting for a solution. (generally)

Of course there are time where both sex just want to vent and do not seek solution. This is where the "miscommunication" comes into play. The site is just a place to vent like Not Always Right | Funny & Stupid Customer Quotes but since the OP site is more gender base, men and women interpret it differently.

Of course the deeper issue would be that sometimes men are oblivious (not an excuse but it is true) there are time when a girl tells me something and it just goes totally over my head (totally didn't get it or got the wrong message) and of course the women might get offended cause the "man" ignoring her or thought he is being sexist while in some cases, the woman is not speaking the right "code" for the response she is looking for.

After reading a few (couple of pages) I can see some of the miscommunication and "seeing too much" into it. Of course some ARE legit and pure sexist or even harassment, but most seem to be just generally clueless to either sex.

that is what I see.

I think that's a gross oversimplification. I personally rant and vent more often to blow off steam than to seek a solution, as I'm normally fully capable of forming a solution on my own. If I want help with a solution, I generally outline a course of action I've been thinking about, and ask for feeback and/or alternatives. Similarly, I've had plenty of female friends who rant in search of a solution.

But, as sensible people might realize, it's impossible to generalize even when looking at an individual, let alone an entire gender. I don't know a single person on God's green earth that rants exclusively in one format over the other. Not even the terribly negative people that I know who just rant (read: complain) about everything.

C

Chibibar

Yeah, what Chibi said is just more of the bullshit "oh women are just so different, these problems are just because they're so fundamentally different"
heh. I don't think it is pure BS personally consider that women are different in terms of their logic and things. If human do think somewhat similar, then men and women wouldn't have so much problem with each other (what I have observe) the successful couple (long term commitment and marriage) usually understand each other or at least know what the other is talking about or at least crack the "code" of course not all code are the same. What I finally learn about my wife may not apply to other women's thinking.

I was waiting at the bus terminal and writing in my notebook. There were a few people nearby, one being a young woman, probably 22. I heard some guy come up to her. "You know, I don't normally do this, but..." Proceeding to ask her if she'd want to go to dinner or something. She said she wasn't interested and thanked him.

Should've ended there.

Onward we go! "Well, why not?" She said she wasn't interested again. "You have a man?" She said no. "Well, so if you don't have a man, you're available." -_- She started some stuff that sounded like BS, about how there was a guy she liked but hadn't talked to him yet, and the guy near her kept pushing--basically, if she wasn't with a guy, there was no reason not to go with him.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Yeah, what Chibi said is just more of the bullshit "oh women are just so different, these problems are just because they're so fundamentally different"
heh. I don't think it is pure BS personally consider that women are different in terms of their logic and things. If human do think somewhat similar, then men and women wouldn't have so much problem with each other (what I have observe) the successful couple (long term commitment and marriage) usually understand each other or at least know what the other is talking about or at least crack the "code" of course not all code are the same. What I finally learn about my wife may not apply to other women's thinking.[/QUOTE]

So why isn't it just that different people have different logic? My mother and I certainly do not think of things on the same terms. Neither do my best friend and I. Since the three of us are women, by what you've posted, shouldn't we all have the same logic?
I think different people look at things differently, have varying styles of communication, and handle stress/conflict differently. It has very little to do with being male or female.

C

crono1224

There are basic differences between men and women, but there are also differences between the sexes. Clearly not all the men on this board think the same, so why would women?

I was waiting at the bus terminal and writing in my notebook. There were a few people nearby, one being a young woman, probably 22. I heard some guy come up to her. "You know, I don't normally do this, but..." Proceeding to ask her if she'd want to go to dinner or something. She said she wasn't interested and thanked him.

Should've ended there.

Onward we go! "Well, why not?" She said she wasn't interested again. "You have a man?" She said no. "Well, so if you don't have a man, you're available." -_- She started some stuff that sounded like BS, about how there was a guy she liked but hadn't talked to him yet, and the guy near her kept pushing--basically, if she wasn't with a guy, there was no reason not to go with him.
See ... that's the kind of shit I can't stand. Does this guy have such an ego that he thinks that he is manliness prime? Three billion women in the world would date him if only he asked, and they had been wise enough to forgo other relationships.

That or they're lesbian, in which case I'm sure he believes he has the right to watch.

C

crono1224

There are basic differences between men and women, but there are also differences between the sexes.
*applause*[/QUOTE]

Figured I break down the thread into a sentence, then we can get back to derailing it :D.[/QUOTE]

:/ I don't have the heart to tell you...[/QUOTE]

Boo I see I poorly wrote the second part of my sentence it should have been "differences between people of the same sex". Well either way derailment activate, "No-no its pronounced a-nal-ra-pist".

Status
Not open for further replies.