My Fault I'm Female

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kind of like FML with a sexist/feminist twist. Stories of people being terrible and sexist that get me all mad at the world. It's mostly UK-based, but there are US stories too.

My Fault, I'm Female

I thought it was kind of cool and is a collection of tangible stories of sexism women face every day.

Dave

Staff member
None of these things ever happen to men. Seriously. Read the very first one and then ThatGuy's situation. Tell me why it is more terrible if the victim is a woman as opposed to a man. The difference I see in the two situations are that ThatGuy says, "I love her and still wish things would work out."

She says, "...his son is a lazy, cheating, selfish bastard..."

some of those things have nothing to do with someone being female....just people being over sensitive
A few years ago I was working in a music store that sold primarily guitars, so as you can imagine: lots of male customers. I play violin (and had for about 11 years at the time) and decided to pick up a mandolin to play for a bit, which has the same strings and tuning as a violin, during a lull in activity. A male customer walked by…
Customer: Aw, you learning how to play?
Me: (incredulous) No… I AM playing.
Guess I should’ve realized that women aren’t supposed to have recreational abilities outside of knitting and organizing recipe cards. #MFIF
KM
For instance. Maybe she looked hesitant on a new instrument, or maybe she just wasn't playing it that well. Asking someone if they're new or just learning to play has nothing to do with their vaginas.

Dave

Staff member
She's getting blamed because she's talking to in-laws and they are on the guy's side.

Come on, man. You are so reaching on these. I love man-hating sites and you're fine with them.

You sexist.

M

makare

The only sexist issue i have to deal with regularly has to do with competence. I can generally prove to be competent at what I do very quickly but what annoys me is that with many things I have to prove competence while a guy in the same position is presumed competent. In all fairness everyone should have to prove themselves but it seems that women have to prove themselves more than men. Also, a lot of the people that treat women that way are not sexist assholes, chauvinists or misogynists it is simply that the expectation of competence in certain areas is so ingrained in culture that it just IS.

It can go both ways too. Women are presumed more competent in certain things like cooking or child rearing. But the fact that most of life is outside of the expected realm of female competence is what makes the gender bias towards women more frustrating on a cultural scale.

ps. I can't cook. Just saying.

Dave

Staff member
I agree that sexism exists. But this site is more man-bashing than anything. But that's okay because it's women doing it. It's that old feminist double-standard.

M

makare

I think it's ok because it's just a site. And we can read it and bitch about the site. It's not like it is a law or the government doing it.

Im sure there are women bashing sites out there too and Im ok with that as well. As long as I can bitch about the bitching it's a-ok with me.

ElJuski

Staff member
There's a great line from this RJD2 album (feat. Mota Mouth, yo):

If you innocent be cool, only the guilty's catching offense
Which reminds me of how this forum is to so rabidly combat for this vague notion of "sexism is not there, not ever". Obviously context and rationale could make some of those stories moot...but really, does every little line have to go under a fine-toothed comb? It becomes an act of self-defense at that point, instead of saying, "You know, sometimes it's true that men DO treat women poorly"?

W

Wasabi Poptart

@makare - I used to run into the same thing when I worked for my parents' business. They run a saw sharpening business, so most of the customers were carpenters, yacht builders, people who did custom cabinetry, and so on. I was a younger female, therefore I was an idiot. I had one guy who gave me a bunch of crap one day call my boss (aka: Dad) to tell him that I was "a belligerent bitch". Why? Because when he yelled at me, I yelled right back at him and held my ground. I embarrassed him by dishing out exactly what he was giving me in front of his co-workers. My dad told him to fuck off. lol

Dave

Staff member

Which reminds me of how this forum is to so rabidly combat for this vague notion of "sexism is not there, not ever". Obviously context and rationale could make some of those stories moot...but really, does every little line have to go under a fine-toothed comb? It becomes an act of self-defense at that point, instead of saying, "You know, sometimes it's true that men DO treat women poorly"?
Mostly this is due because of who posted it. Like when Jon posts stuff about the military. There's just such a bias going into the topic that things get over-analyzed.

I object! To what? Oh, I don't know. I haven't clicked the site yet because it's better to post without knowing what's going on than to waste time actually reading, amirite?

M

makare

oh yeah the other sexist thing i ran into was last month. I can kind of forgive this guy because he is a Hutterite and women are treated pretty archaically in their culture. He came with his family to camp and first off I went to the passenger window, as I always do, and was going to talk to his wife. That's just kind of how this works the passenger is usually the one who deals with the booth attendant. That kind of set us off on the wrong foot. This woman would try not to even look at me and when she did she had this really mean contemptuous look on her face. I was like wtf did I do. Then the man got out and proceeded to talk to me like I was a child, which really messed with me because I wasn't even spoken to like I was a child when I actually was a child. I told him everything he was supposed to do etc but he wouldn't listen. The park volunteer guy came and told the man everything I had just told him and then everything was fine. I said to the volunteer, "I just said that!" I was so pissed off that day.

Sexism exists. People being way over sensitive and blowing things out of proportion also exists. I don't choose to ignore one in favor of the other.

Dave

Staff member

Sexism exists. People being way over sensitive and blowing things out of proportion also exists. I don't choose to ignore one in favor of the other.[/QUOTE]

We have a WINNAR!!

M

makare

You two are completely ruining a thread that could be about dealing with sexism in our own lives.

you two suck.

ElJuski

Staff member

Mostly this is due because of who posted it. Like when Jon posts stuff about the military. There's just such a bias going into the topic that things get over-analyzed.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I can respect that as an answer because I know I have done that in the past, even though I know I shouldn't.

I get tired of the self inflicted sexism from some of my users. I walk them through a couple of steps to set up some software, or to get the to quit hitting cancel during an install.

"Give me a break, I'm computer stupid."

I feel like yelling.

"YOU'VE WORKED HERE 10 YEARS, AND YOU ARE AN ANALYST!!! YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO READ!!!"

C

Chazwozel

some of those things have nothing to do with someone being female....just people being over sensitive
A few years ago I was working in a music store that sold primarily guitars, so as you can imagine: lots of male customers. I play violin (and had for about 11 years at the time) and decided to pick up a mandolin to play for a bit, which has the same strings and tuning as a violin, during a lull in activity. A male customer walked by…
Customer: Aw, you learning how to play?
Me: (incredulous) No… I AM playing.
Guess I should’ve realized that women aren’t supposed to have recreational abilities outside of knitting and organizing recipe cards. #MFIF
KM
For instance. Maybe she wasn't playing well, or perhaps she looked hesitant on a new instrument, or maybe she just wasn't playing it that well. Asking someone if they're new or just learning to play has nothing to do with their vaginas.
Socratic dialogue

July 26, 2010 by mfif I go to University in the US, currently studying to get my undergraduate degree. I’m a philosophy major, who plans to go to grad school to eventually get my PhD. In addition, I am a philosophy major who gets constant encouragement from my professors, who think I am very smart, capable, and prepared for graduate level work. In class, I am outspoken, and I almost always have something I can positively contribute to class.
One day, in my ancient philosophy class, we were studying the Crito, one of Plato’s early Socratic dialogues. My professor assigned us groups, and in my group the male/female ratio was about even. We had read the work before coming to class, and it was our first day discussing it in class. There was this part in the Crito, where Plato has Socrates defend his decision to allow the Athenians execute him by constructing a discussion between himself (Socrates) and “The Laws.”
I noticed that there was something going on with these “Laws” that was more than just “the laws of humans!” or “the laws of Athens!” There was something there, something complex and fascinating (which, as revealed by my professor later, was true). So, of course, as fascinated by this as I am, I bring it up to my group.
“No, I’m pretty sure they’re just the laws of Athens,” says the rest of my group.
I keep trying to convince them that I’m right and that there’s something going on there that they’re not paying attention to, when suddenly-
“Yeah, I think there’s something going on here,” says one of my fellow (male) group members.
Immediately, the rest of the group sees it! They are convinced that Socrates meant something more than just the laws of Athens! And they all join in, pointing out evidence and interesting passages that point to that direction.
I was dumbfounded. It wasn’t like they had a past history together in their classes; it wasn’t like any of us knew each other at all. But I did know that I had just spent several minutes trying to make the concept clear, while they constantly tried to make it seem like I was “reading too much into things.” But THE. VERY. MINUTE. that my MALE classmate said anything that agreed with me, they suddenly understood.
But I guess I shouldn’t be upset about it! After all, it’s #MFIF.
Nothing to do with sexism. Just happened to be a male that agreed with her. She convinced a second person to voice that there was something else in the text, the rest of the group began to agree. Stupid bitch.

Male hysterics

July 25, 2010 by mfif I left chicken on the counter to defrost for the next day. Since I didn’t put a towel under it, there was a slight puddle. Any normal person would wipe up the puddle and be done with it. My “significant other” threw a fit because he noticed it. He asked me if he needed to start cleaning up when he got home from work. “So now I have to do two jobs!”, were his words.
So, he’s too good to work a full-time job and help around the house. I on the other hand can get up before him, get the kids ready and out the door, go to school myself, go to work, then come home to cook dinner and clean house?? I didn’t realize it was so hard on a man to wash the dishes… #MFIF
Case of two dipshits. Not sexism. He could of put a towel down. She should have put one down in the first place. Sounds to me like a stupid bitch complaining about her stupid ass husband.

Ah found a good one:
When no means keep asking

July 24, 2010 by mfif Conversation (very abridged) with a male coworker today:
Him: So when am I coming to your place?
Me: You’re not.
Him: But you invited me to your place for dinner.
Me: No, you invited yourself.
Him: So when am I coming? Are you free on Saturday night?
Me: No, why would I be? (today being Thursday already)
Him: Are you free on Friday night?
Me: No.
Him: So can I call you on Saturday?
Him: So when are you free?
Me: I’m always busy. I have a very busy life.
Him: So you’re always busy for me, is that it?
Me: Yes, that’s right.
10 minutes later:
Him: So when are you going to make time for me?
Me: You know, it’s really rude to keep pushing when a woman has already said no.
Him: But you didn’t say no. Ok ok, I won’t say anything more.
Later:
Him: So, will you give me a hug after work today?
Him: That’s ok, you can give me one tomorrow.
Me: No, I won’t. It is not going to happen.
Repeat ad nauseum.
Finally:
Me: You know, this could really be construed as sexual harassment.
Him: Whoa whoa, I’m just joking.
Me: No, to be a joke it actually has to be funny to someone other than yourself.
Him: Calm down, I say it to all the girls.
#MFIF.
Sarah, London

This is sexual harassment and that asshole should be fired for it.

M

makare

You guys do realize that it is a site for bitching... they know they are blowing stuff out of proportion that is what the site is for. Let them vent, it's not like it is a political movement. It's more like how women talk when they are alone....

M

makare

I call some women stupid bitches, but only the stupid bitches.

And if I start saying that fucking ****... I REALLY mean it.

aw my post got smurfed.. that smurfing smurfs!

C

Chibibar

Chaz: hehe. I don't see the sexism on other case and agree with you. In discussion group, that happen all the time, it usually takes one to agree before the rest of the group agrees (not sure why) but that happen a lot regardless of sex.

C

Chazwozel

An Uplifiting Explanation

July 23, 2010 by mfif I was minding my own business in the gym, deadlifting. Unfortunately it seems to attract a lot of attention from less enlightened people, as while I am female my top sets are still in the range of 230-260 pounds. This particular time, someone approached me mid-set, and when I ignored him, he stood over the bar so I could not pick it up until he had said his piece.
He told me I needed to lean back at the top of the repetition to “make my back stronger”. I told him hyperextension of the back is both bad form and can lead to injury, and went back to lifting with proper form. He stood there for the rest of my set, shaking his head. I guess all the mansplanation I get in the gym is #MFIF for liking to lift big weights.

You're supposed to extend your hips forward which causes your shoulders to slightly lean back in a deadlift. The "sexist pig" was correct. Stupid bitch.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

He could [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] have put a towel down.
ftfy[/QUOTE]

Sexism!

Dave

Staff member
They're both dumb anyway. Juice from raw chicken you don't just mop up with a towel. There's germs in them there juices.

Status
Not open for further replies.