Movie News & Miscellany

I feel like anyone who gets "The Man With the Golden Goldfinger" is also the sort that would introduce themself as "lastname, firstname lastname."

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I legit thought this was going to be some shitty animated film about Chester Cheetah. I never thought I'd be so relived to see a biopic about a janitor inventing spicy corn chips.
And then going on to become an executive at Pepsi Co, and the “godfather of multicultural marketing.”

But they're not a monopoly! Other people are still free to make their own movies. This is in no way an unfair amount of control over the market. </SARCASM>
I'd say this has more to do with the CRAPTACULAR state of copyright law (life of the author plus 75 (85? 95?) years) and how long things are literally locked up for. Separate discussion on abuse of power for what gets made and marketed new (which is more about monopoly IMO).

I'd say this has more to do with the CRAPTACULAR state of copyright law (life of the author plus 75 (85? 95?) years) and how long things are literally locked up for. Separate discussion on abuse of power for what gets made and marketed new (which is more about monopoly IMO).

Another article yesterday talked about how it won't happen, because audiences are united in their disdain for remaking it. There's no market or desire for it.

I don't think casting would be the problem. I'm sure there are people who could fill the roles well enough (Hafthor as Fezzig, anyone?), I just don't think anyone could recreate the level of camp in the original without making it a shot-for-shot remake, and then why bother remaking it?

--Patrick

I don't think casting would be the problem. I'm sure there are people who could fill the roles well enough (Hafthor as Fezzig, anyone?), I just don't think anyone could recreate the level of camp in the original without making it a shot-for-shot remake, and then why bother remaking it?

--Patrick
I SAID THE EXACT SAME THING!

Andre was such a weird one of a kind. No other giant has his odd charisma. I'd honestly hate to see anyone replace him.

But the question always comes back to this: why? Sure, we could cast someone who would be good... but why? Remakes should be reserved for situations when either a) the original is too dated to connect with modern audiences, or b) the original was seriously flawed enough that a remake is a clear improvement. Neither one of those is true for The Princess Bride.

But the question always comes back to this: why? Sure, we could cast someone who would be good... but why? Remakes should be reserved for situations when either a) the original is too dated to connect with modern audiences, or b) the original was seriously flawed enough that a remake is a clear improvement. Neither one of those is true for The Princess Bride.
what we really need to do is remake the OG Star Wars Trilogy!

I would add that you might also want to tell the same story in a different way. For example, they could make it more like the book, which would be a terrible idea. Artistic reinterpretation just seems like a legitimate reason to remake something, IMO.

what we really need to do is remake the OG Star Wars Trilogy!
Disney's... sort of done this already, with some anime style shorts that reuse the voicework from the original movie. They are actually pretty good? I'd pay to see them do the entire trilogy that way.