Movie News & Miscellany

DOWNSIZED sounds like a garbage movie, but MovieBob'ss gimmick (for lack of a better term) for this review is hilarious. Reminds me when he did the film noir narration gimmick for Sin City 2 (unlike most, I liked the review).

Logan has been nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay.
I think it deserves at least a nomination or two. I wouldn't call it the best movie of the year or even the best superhero movie of the year, but it was damn good.

My only issue is a lot of people are calling it the first comic book movie to be nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. Ghost World has that honour.

I think it deserves at least a nomination or two. I wouldn't call it the best movie of the year or even the best superhero movie of the year, but it was damn good.

My only issue is a lot of people are calling it the first comic book movie to be nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. Ghost World has that honour.
"Best Adapted Screenplay Of A Comic More Than 200 People Remember Reading"?

A world where Boss Baby is an Oscar nominated movie and stuff like Your Name isn't is a travesty. And I'm not exactly anime's biggest defender, but God damn...Boss Baby?

it really is, boss baby is plain kids entertainment with a very creative story, but nothing ground breaking. They snubbed fucking A Silent Voice too!
A deaf elementary school girl, Shoko Nishimiya, upon transferring, meets a boy named Shoya Ishida in her new class. Shoya, who is not deaf, leads the class in bullying Shoko, because she is deaf. As the bullying continues, the class starts to bully Shoya for bullying Shoko. After graduating from elementary school, Shoko and Shoya do not speak to each other… until later, when Shoya, tormented over his past, decides he must see Shoko once more. Shoya wants to make amends for what he did in elementary school and be Shoko's friend.
A story about a mans redemption from his past and just how much he is willing to pay to make things right. -_- but no, boss baby...

A world where Boss Baby is an Oscar nominated movie and stuff like Your Name isn't is a travesty. And I'm not exactly anime's biggest defender, but God damn...Boss Baby?
I have to find it again, but someone had pointed out it's eligiblity would have to been last year, and something else about it's release time period.

But yeah, Boss Baby. I dunno, man.

I'm just glad the Breadwinner is up there. It's not going to win because of Coco (and fuck the academy for taking the safe choice every year) but at least it got fucking nominated.

I hope Boss Baby wins.
I thought Boss Baby was a lot of fun especially the wizard bits. Coco was the better film IMO. Ferdinand is a wonderful book, but a boring flashy movie. I haven't seen the other two.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
1. Coco
2.The Boss Baby

3. Ferdinand
?Loving Vincent
?The Breadwinner

I thought Boss Baby was a lot of fun especially the wizard bits. Coco was the better film IMO. Ferdinand is a wonderful book, but a boring flashy movie. I haven't seen the other two.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
1. Coco
2.The Boss Baby
3. Ferdinand
?Loving Vincent
?The Breadwinner
Synopsis for The Breadwinner? Hmm... a young girl in modern day Afghanistan impersonates her brother when her father is taken by the Taliban, becoming the sole provider for her household (Hence the title). It's done by Cartoon Saloon, the folks behind The Secret of Kells, The Song of the Sea, and the upcoming Wolfwalkers.

Synopsis for The Breadwinner? Hmm... a young girl in modern day Afghanistan impersonates her brother when her father is taken by the Taliban, becoming the sole provider for her household (Hence the title). It's done by Cartoon Saloon, the folks behind The Secret of Kells, The Song of the Sea, and the upcoming Wolfwalkers.
So you're saying its about someone working without much oversight, despite being much younger than expected for such a situation?

Definitely seems like a Boss Baby ripoff.

Blumhouse has picked up the movie adaptation of Five Nights at Freddy's, now with Chris Columbus lined up to write and direct it.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/five-nights-at-freddys-chris-columbus-harry-potter-blumhouse-1202286349/
This movie is going to flop and it's ONLY because they've been taking too fucking long to make it. If this had come out... this year? Major bank. But with the main series (seemingly) tied up with the latest game, who knows if this has any juice by the time it comes out.

fade

Staff member
I feel old in that I only vaguely know what five nights at Freddy's is. I think it's some kind of what if Chuck e cheese came to life and murdered people, but not 100% on that.

GasBandit

Staff member
I feel old in that I only vaguely know what five nights at Freddy's is. I think it's some kind of what if Chuck e cheese came to life and murdered people, but not 100% on that.
Pretty much. It's "A Night at the Museum" but at Chuck E Cheese's, and it's a jumpscare horror game where you play the night shift security guard.

It's a shit game, and I fully expect the movie to be shit as well... and as Ash said, they didn't even strike while the iron was hot, so we can hope it will deservedly flop.

Pretty much. It's "A Night at the Museum" but at Chuck E Cheese's, and it's a jumpscare horror game where you play the night shift security guard.

It's a shit game, and I fully expect the movie to be shit as well... and as Ash said, they didn't even strike while the iron was hot, so we can hope it will deservedly flop.
It's... actually not a shit game? Yes, it's SIMPLE game with a simple mechanic, but as a franchise it has a fairly complex story going thanks to Scott's storytelling (and the 3 books they've put out). There isn't much mystery about the series any more but the question of what exactly was going on and how it happened and what WOULD happen was actually kind of a big deal to fans. Scott Cawthon deserves every fucking dollar he's made off of this and good on him for sending tons of it to charities.

Again, the movie's going to flop but conceptually (Haunted Animatronics go nuts every night and someone's got to stop it) isn't THAT much dumber than something like Maximum Overdirve (Car's have taken over the world!) or other B-movie fare. Hell, I hope it's good even. I'll probably go see it in theaters if it gets a theatrical release!

GasBandit

Staff member
It's... actually not a shit game? Yes, it's SIMPLE game with a simple mechanic, but as a franchise it has a fairly complex story going thanks to Scott's storytelling (and the 3 books they've put out). There isn't much mystery about the series any more but the question of what exactly was going on and how it happened and what WOULD happen was actually kind of a big deal to fans. Scott Cawthon deserves every fucking dollar he's made off of this and good on him for sending tons of it to charities.

Again, the movie's going to flop but conceptually (Haunted Animatronics go nuts every night and someone's got to stop it) isn't THAT much dumber than something like Maximum Overdirve (Car's have taken over the world!) or other B-movie fare. Hell, I hope it's good even. I'll probably go see it in theaters if it gets a theatrical release!
I played it (the first one anyway). Yes, it's a shit game.

Yeah, I'm not wild about the games, but the concept could at least make for a solid horror film.

The interesting thing is getting Chris Columbus. I'm hoping that perhaps it manages to be made into some sort of "family horror" film.

figmentPez

Staff member
Most Triumphant: Bill & Ted 3 Is Officially Set to Rock Our Socks Off

Currently in pre-production, Bill & Ted Face the Music will see the duo long past their days as time-traveling teenagers and now weighed down by middle age and the responsibilities of family. They’ve written thousands of tunes, but they have yet to write a good one, much less the greatest song ever written. With the fabric of time and space tearing around them, a visitor from the future warns our heroes that only their song can save life as we know it. Out of luck and fresh out of inspiration, Bill and Ted set out on a time travel adventure to seek the song that will set their world right and bring harmony in the universe as we know it. Together with the aid of their daughters, a new crop of historical figures, and some sympathetic music legends, they find much, much more than just a song.
Dean Parisot (Galaxy Quest) will direct the film from a script by original writers Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon. Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves will reprise their roles as Bill & Ted.