Minor victory thread

For the first time in weeks, I finally feel good. My body has been really really sick for a while now, but this morning, I wake up with no headache, no stomach pain AND best of all, my eyes are back to normal. I can finally put in my contacts without irritating my right eye an insane amount!

I just feel...happy today. =^^= This month has sucked hardcore for me, so I'm excited to finally feel like I'm back to my normal self.

Free hugs to everyone having a bad day!

I just got notice that part 2 of Last Exile: The Silver Wings shipped...a month early....
why is it a minor victory? part one has not shipped yet >_>

Installed a new spring on my Smith & Wesson SD9VE, bringing the trigger pull down to about 5.5 lbs (bought the gun at a gun show and it had Maryland regulation trigger springs--a monster 10lb pull!)

The guy in the video makes it look so easy, but putting the trigger mechanism back together requires lining up about 5 moving parts, and it took me 3 times to get it right. But now, I have a much easier draw on the trigger.

Oh my god. I am packing everything up to move, and I realise how much I love throwing things away. Like, bags and bags of things that I just don't need. It feels soooo good to be free of it, even before the move.

Oh my god. I am packing everything up to move, and I realise how much I love throwing things away. Like, bags and bags of things that I just don't need. It feels soooo good to be free of it, even before the move.
That's the key that so many miss. Get rid of the stuff and don't pack it saying "I'll get rid of it after we get moved." Ain't gonna happen. You move it, you're gonna keep it. We downsized from a large 4 bedroom house, down to a 3 bedroom apartment and got rid of sooooo much stuff that we didn't have a use for, or the space to pack into the apartment. It is very liberating.

That's the key that so many miss. Get rid of the stuff and don't pack it saying "I'll get rid of it after we get moved." Ain't gonna happen. You move it, you're gonna keep it. We downsized from a large 4 bedroom house, down to a 3 bedroom apartment and got rid of sooooo much stuff that we didn't have a use for, or the space to pack into the apartment. It is very liberating.
I'm going from a one-bedroom to a slightly-bigger-one-bedroom apartment. So, it should seem... extra... bigger...? heh. A lot of what I got to toss was in my storage closet, so I'll have a lot of storage space left over in this new place, I suppose.

Today begins the first day of a week-long* vacation from my job.

I am not going back.

Instead, when my vacation ends, I will be transferring to a different location, one which is closer to my wife and child. Some of you may know that we recently celebrated our 1-yr anniversary apart** and this means we get to be together as a family again. Why is this not in the EWT? Well, to be blunt, it's because I'm terrified.

In order to pull this off, I need to uproot and move more or less immediately, which means a hasty half-assed move and I leave behind an empty house that I will still have to maintain and make payments on until some sort of solution can be found. My commute will increase by approximately 40mi/day (round trip-that's about an extra tank a week) which will be a drain on time and money. Due to the timing of the transfer, I will have to give up my chance at a raise this year. Kati will also lose her daddy-doesn't-live-with-us benefits, which means she will have to get at least a PT job to make up for this loss. Things are going to be tighter than they are right now, if that's possible. Hence, terror.

However, we will finally get to be a family again, and instead of only talking to my wife and kid for 2-3hrs a night via Skype, we will get to pillow fight/glare/laugh/eat with one another in person. So the net result is most definitely positive, even though it's nowhere near as high above the x-axis as I would prefer.

Also if I'm scarce for the next couple weeks, y'all will know why.

--Patrick
*9-day (2+5+2)
**Aug 23rd, and it was done solely for logistical reasons. No relationship issues, no drama. No worries.

Tooth extraction not as painful to the wallet as feared. Plans for a new iPhone5S appear to still be a go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

After dealing with flooding going on all around me the last two days, my neighborhood is dry, but surrounded by flooding enough that we can't actually leave town to the west or south. On the upside as well, my number was not picked to have to try to get to Jury Duty on Monday.

Tooth was just enough of a hit to preclude grabbing the new iPhone for a bit. So instead I hit the local mega mart for edible goodies on the way home from work.

Munching on pretzel chips and roasted garlic hummus in between rounds of WoW. :D

My wife got up from bed while I was cooking something extra for my lunch tomorrow. I was all set to explain it was for lunch tomorrow, but she's so used to my heavy appetite caused by super-charged metabolism that she didn't bat an eye at my boiling a pot of tortellinis at 11:00 at night.

BUAHAH! Snuck into the conference room while those people were at lunch and snagged my smoothie! Yay food!

(for reference: see 'whine like a baby' thread)

Someone asked me if I was losing weight today. I was all casual and not "Why yes, I have been eating incredibly healthy foods and working my ass off in the gym every day for the past three months."

iPhone 5s release day is today. Traded in my old 4s for it. Trade in value=$200. New phone=$199. :D

On;y out of pocket outlay was for a spare cable and a case.

Now you need to post slow motion videos of you making the durr face.
-Record the 120fps video of durr face
-Import into Shake/AfterEffects/Whatever
-Interpolate/retime to 240fps using optical flow
-sssssssllllllllooooooowwwwwww dddddoooooowwwwnnnnnn......

--Patrick

We've been clapping to kill gnats for a while now. One flew in front of my computer screen--CLAP--mother fucker is dead.

Went to the sink, washed my hands, turned around--there's another in my face. CLAP. Got that asshole too.

Then I got on Monster Hunter 3 and killed an armored bear.

Watch out, animal kingdom. Today, I am the hunter.

Cajungal

Staff member
I feel funny, because I'm also about to post a whine about work, but I'm also feeling really good about work.

Not sure if it's because I didn't have a wedding to worry about shortly before the school year started this time, but I feel so refreshed and completely prepared this year so far... not as negative as last year. I think it has something to do with the "bad" class that drive everyone crazy last year. Our head of school didn't want the teachers to feel that bowled-over by a group of unmanageable students (and parents) again this year, so we had a meeting to discuss preemptive steps we would take to set a better tone for the beginning of the year.

Not only that, but teachers are emailing me left and right with glowing compliments and thank-yous. I'm committee chair of our Chapel and Hands-to-Work programs this year, and they are both huge successes. That makes me feel really proud.

Cajungal

Staff member
Our head of school made me smile when we met to decide on chapel chair. I was sure she'd ask our school chaplain, but she was remaining really silent in the corner.. Then our music director (who's new) wasn't interested. I shifted uncomfortably and said, "well, I'm not really Christian. I love chapel, but mine are a little unorthodox." And she smiled and said, "We love your unorthodox chapels." ^_^ I love chapel. Playing uke for small children makes me feel like a rock star.

The good: Upgraded to a salaried position the day that all hourly employees have to cut back to 36 hours a week due to a slowdown in available work.

The also good: Now I can work as many hours as I need to in order to make sure everything that needs to get done does get done.

The bad: It kinda looks like that's going to be 50 - 60 hours a week.

Today I had to go to the land registry to get some documents I need for a loan. In that office there was a lot of signs telling the requisites for that document, so I left and got them. When I returned, there was at least 5 people in line before me and each one of them didn't read the signs and had to leave. First time I am glad because most people don't like to read.

I've put the household in financial lock-down, meaning we only buy what we need, until the government shutdown ends. The fortunate bits:

- I'm one of two employees in my department that my company decided should get full hours and pay for the time-being. This may change if the shut-down goes past October, but for now I can keep gaining.
- (I know this will sound stupid) Because I've put us in financial lock-down, video games are one of those things we aren't buying. So I'm kind of glad my wife and I loaded up $40 onto our 3DS's over a month ago in preparation for the new Pokemon games. We can't get that money back, so it's nice that even though we can't spend money on other luxuries, we'll still get to play Pokemon together next weekend.

May or may not have posted this in the win thread before. Can't remember.

Anyway, I found this album at a tag sale last year:

Schoolgirl scribbles on the cover and label, and the inner sleeve is a little worse for wear. Otherwise it's in okay condition. The playing surface is in excellent shape. It's the second version of the album, with Ask Me Why and Please Please Me.

Going to a record store in Pittsburgh in a few to have it looked at. And maybe come home with a haul of albums.

(And after that, order a turntable...)

That's one of their "American" albums - much derided and disliked by the band themselves.

Still, it's a Beatles record.

EDIT: (Looks at WP entry) Wow.

Uh, DA? You might be holding something worth a bit more than just "a few more records"... What does the back of the album look like?

It's legit. But it's the mono version (relatively common), and the scribbles knock it's worth down to ~$20 per Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh.
The back:

We might want to know more about this "tag sale."

--Patrick
Just your standard estate sale. Record store guy said that was the best place to make the really good finds. Typically a relative that wants to clear out the contents in order to sell the house. :)