Minor victory thread

fade

Staff member
I found the white album, meet the beatles, and a few others in an estate sale once. Wish I still had them, but they got me through a rough patch in grad school.

I found the white album, meet the beatles, and a few others in an estate sale once. Wish I still had them, but they got me through a rough patch in grad school.
I feel the same way about the Apple stock I bought for $52 back in 2006 (and sold later in 2006 for $58).
I think about what could've been, but I also think about how much I enjoy eating.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Had a really awesome impromptu lunch date with a hottie. And she actually was well spoken, articulate, funny, sweet. Colour Adam impressed.

@Tinwhistler I contacted the beatles4me guy, sent pics of cover and label per his request. It's the more common version of that album. His take, ~$50 tops.

I might have paid as much as a buck for it. :)

As of right now, I'm on vacation. Going to Austin with my wife (she has a job related training there for 3 weeks) for a week and getting away from here.

I've been selected by my hotel management to attend a three day manager training course in Milwaukee at the company's core hotel. Yeah.... it's Milwaukee... but regardless I could use the break.

So I'm not much of a bar fan. Sensitive hearing and a low tolerance for alcohol. But my hottie lunch date told me about a Beatles tribute show so I went solo for a couple laughs. And then her and her friends showed up. Wow.

I've never been that guy that the girls just fawn over but last night, I was a piece of meat and these girls were hungry. And the lunch hottie was just all over me all night. And then her hottie friends. And then random girls in the bar approaching me. Was it a full moon?

Spent the day largely playing a game involving fake pets, stopping only for food or to clean up after real pets. Later we'll order a discounted pizza because my wife wants pizza and fuck the man, I'm getting her pizza.

Noting this because I think this is the laziest we've been in many weekends, and while usually that bothers me, today it doesn't.

How do you medicate someone with a bandaged arm?
Is it something you have to incorporate into your diet? "Apply dressing, then eat."

--Patrick

Heh. That's one expensive car! The rear wheel on this motorcycle is more powerful than one of the wheels on that mini cooper, but the acceleration is still limited. 0-60 is 14 seconds here. I'll have to ask them why that is - perhaps a little tuning is in order...
I assume the acceleration is limited for safety reasons, but more powerful than the Cooper motors? That doesn't sound right. The specs page for the cycle says its motor is only 5kW, but the Cooper article says each motor is 160hp. Since 5kW = 6-7hp, it seems like there's a huuuuuge difference.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Finally got off my lazy ass and applied for a job I wanted, got through the first screening, passed the written test as well now. Just the interview to go... Wiould be a major victory if not for the fact that I'm completely freaked out, I've been completely bullshitting my way through - all of my education and learning on the topics at hand (the legal framework etc) are 5 or more years out of date, all of my information on their own projects and ideas comes straight from their own web site.
I do want the job, but I'm pretty much sure I'm going to do hiorrible on the oral examination/interview. I'm a nervous wreck anyhow, with tics, and I mumble, and I stutter....Ahem. Still, it's nice to be able to pass 2 tiers of elimination so far.

Cajungal

Staff member
I got some KICKASS professional development--incorporating movement and theatre in the science class. I want to try everything right away!

July, August and September have been CRAPPY months for me, but things are finally looking up!

Nate and I finally finished paying for this semester (we're doing it all out of pocket - no student loans). We paid our friends back for doing the down payment on our Disney trip (a bunch of us are going to Disneyland in January and the money for the hotel and passes was due at the end of August. Which we couldn't pay, so our friends paid our portion for us. I have the best friends).

So now, we are completely debt free! It feels so good.

July, August and September have been CRAPPY months for me, but things are finally looking up!

Nate and I finally finished paying for this semester (we're doing it all out of pocket - no student loans). We paid our friends back for doing the down payment on our Disney trip (a bunch of us are going to Disneyland in January and the money for the hotel and passes was due at the end of August. Which we couldn't pay, so our friends paid our portion for us. I have the best friends).

So now, we are completely debt free! It feels so good.
Make too much to be eligible for a Pell Grant? I know that I'm a year in and haven't had to pay a dime, nor take out any loans... though I am doing my associates at a reputable community college.

Make too much to be eligible for a Pell Grant? I know that I'm a year in and haven't had to pay a dime, nor take out any loans... though I am doing my associates at a reputable community college.
Sort of. We do get a Pell Grant, but we still have to pay half of tuition plus books. So, this past semester we've had to pay $1,500, plus books (I'm just glad this semester Nate had the author of one of his books as his professor, so he didn't have to buy the book. It was the expensive book too, $200). And we have to pay that much about every 4 months, as the new semseter rolls around. Which, really, isn't a lot, I know. But, considering our finances (which no one probably really cares to know about), it takes it's toll. I would rather do it this way though, it seems to be working out and he only has 2 full semesters left.

As some of you will recall I heard that the site I am at is being closed down except for 300 people. And other than that I had no info on how it would effect my job. I finally got word that they were cutting 3 people but luckily none of them were mine. Basically they are going to use me to handle the jobs of the three people who were let go. They expect that with less people I should be able to handle all 3 jobs (which in reality shouldn't be a problem). They said they may decide to change things again in June on 2014 but even than they do not currently expect to lose my position. So while I feel bad for my coworkers it is nice to know that my job is safe for at least the time being.

Only problem is, the more jobs you take on, the more jobs they'll expect you to do in the future.

And it sounds eerily like what happened to me in the years prior to our site being shut down.

Just bought my parents a new microwave, because they needed one and I wanted to help. It's a win because a) I like helping them out after all the years they helped me, and b) it's nice to be a financial situation where I can just make a large purchase for someone else without breaking a sweat.

c) You'll have to get it to stop flashing 12:00 for them at least once every couple of months, ensuring repeat visits.

--Patrick

Delayed reaction win. Last payday I bought a used copy of Close to the Edge at Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh for $5. The previous owner took care of his vinyl. It's almost pristine. That's fine, but not the win.

Fast forward to a few days later on another forum. The discussion turns to this album and issues with various pressings and how to tell if you have a good one or a really good one. (Hint: look for GP in the deadwax.) I go check my copy and that is exactly what I have. :D

The new platter mat has arrived, and I've finally fixed the entertainment center's level, so I have some records to go listen to.

Delayed reaction win. Last payday I bought a used copy of Close to the Edge at Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh for $5. The previous owner took care of his vinyl. It's almost pristine. That's fine, but not the win.

Fast forward to a few days later on another forum. The discussion turns to this album and issues with various pressings and how to tell if you have a good one or a really good one. (Hint: look for GP in the deadwax.) I go check my copy and that is exactly what I have. :D
I'll have to check my copy, since I bought that set back in high school for a buck.

--Patrick

Since high school, I've never been able to comfortably fit into any pair of pants smaller than a 36" waste. Today... I'm comfortably wearing 33's.