Minor victory thread

Really busy day today with strange start times at work. One of the dispatchers jokingly asked me to pick up a box of donuts.

So - I went up to the Dunkin Donuts a few blocks away, grabbed a dozen and 25 munchkins, and brought them back before leaving.

Had a job interview today.
First talk with the interim guy, went well so he took me along for a chat with the team leader.
That went well too, so he took me along to see the place I'd be working and the people.
That went pretty OK, too.
Afterwards, the team leader said they had some more candidates to see, some other potentials, and I'd probably hear back in a week or so.
20 minutes later, on my drive home, they called me to ask me to come work for them. :thumbsup:

Now, I had a pretty good feeling about the place and the co-workers... And the pay is, well, OK - a few hundred a month less than I was making previously, but several hundred a month more than I'd get for a harder, more challenging job I've been eyeing. Pay is weird sometimes, it's messed up if I can make more doing first line tech support than as a supervisor of 20 people with disabilities in a social work space. But anyway.
The downside is that - well, it is first line tech support. I'm looking at maybe switching to IT/tech, and in that sense it's a good entry job to get some grounding and take some courses and stuff. But it's first line phone support, which I've pretty much done for 10 years - going back to a similar thing with 2 masters degrees is kind of a downer.

I haven't decided whether or not I'll take it - my GF seems to be in favor because I'd be busy again and that part would definitely be good, and it's a fairly low-stress job (when I clock out, I'm finished - no worries at home about work). So....I'll probably take it.
Either way, being received so positively and getting the offer feels pretty nice, a lot better than getting rejected over and over.

I agree. Just being busy and in a low-stress environment can work wonders. Also, entry-level implies upward mobility for when you want more.

I got stung by a wasp and got a sunburn, but I still got a gold medal in the last outdoor tourney of the season. But that means outdoor season is over. I dun wanna go back to indoor archery. :cry: (but I will)

I got stung by a wasp and got a sunburn, but I still got a gold medal in the last outdoor tourney of the season. But that means outdoor season is over. I dun wanna go back to indoor archery. :cry: (but I will)
I want to both Like and Hug this, so Boo!/Yay!/Boo!

Zappit

Staff member
First forum post from my iPad Pro! Dang, having up to date tech makes a world of difference!

I’ve still got to set it up with all my art apps, fonts, etc...that will take a while...

Zappit

Staff member
And you're using the Pencil, I assume.
You'll have to tell me if it's as good as they say it is.

--Patrick
I did get the Pencil, but haven't worked with it yet. I'm still loading fonts into the new iPad, transferring files, etc... I'm actually finishing up my comic on my old iPad. I will update once I've gotten a chance to play around with the Pencil.

Zappit

Staff member
And you're using the Pencil, I assume.
You'll have to tell me if it's as good as they say it is.

--Patrick
Started using it today. It. Is. Glorious. It has perfect sensitivity, no discernible lag, and is smooth on the screen. I’ve already drawn a panel for a Friday’s Supervillainous, and it makes me want to draw more.

The battery life is okay. Got a good amount of time right out of the box. It won’t be fun to charge, though. That part’s awkward.

I got confirmed as a full teacher last week and just got my first adult-sized paycheck. After that awful year of adjuncting it's nice to pay the bills without double-checking my bank account or feeling guilty about buying a $15 dinner.

My committee chair told me that he understands how disappointing it can be to not have the job you want or deserve. He knows that I spent seven years training to be a professor and busting my ass to graduate, just to see the full-time faculty jobs disappear. However, this is stability until something better comes along. I like teaching and the kids are starting to open up to me. Chapel Hill is a town of just over one thousand people. I've lived in six countries on three continents. They think I'm fascinating.

Cajungal

Staff member
Good news/bad news situation.

Long story short: I knew I was in the wrong grad school class this semester, or at least I very strongly believed it. My advisor gave me the wrong class number, but I trusted her instead of double checking. My job is paying for my education, so now I'm fighting tooth and nail to get their money back.

When I met with the head of school to explain the situation, apologize, and declare my intention to pay my own way next semester, here's what she said,

"Well, the PD fund is pretty tight, but I'll see what we can do for you if the worst happens. And isn't this just the universe telling you to take a semester off and look after your new teaching partner?" I almost cried with graitude. Then, as if that weren't enough, she said, "Forgot the mandated time limit that used to exist (The old school head instituted one.) You are not going anywhere unless you choose to quit. If you need 10 more years for this degree, you take it."

My new teaching partner is used to pure inquiry and expedition schools in Europe. I'm having to teach her simple things, like how to put together multiple choice tests. This extra time is a gift. I'm bummed that my progress has been slowed down, but what a relief to have my boss behind me. And how amazing to know that I have job security. I mean, I knew I was good at my job, but how nice to hear it.