Minor victory thread

Finally managed to donate blood :D It had been 7 years since the last time because Spain has a 1-month exclusion for U.S. travelers/residents, and the U.S. has a lifetime exclusion for long-term E.U. residents.

IMG_20180829_100708777.jpg

Finally managed to donate blood :D It had been 7 years since the last time because Spain has a 1-month exclusion for U.S. travelers/residents, and the U.S. has a lifetime exclusion for long-term E.U. residents.

View attachment 27502
Nice! I have a lifetime ban from donating blood in Taiwan cause I've lived too long in the UK, and they suspect I might have Mad Cow Disease. I mean, it would explain a lot, but still.

In the same boat as you, bhamster. I spent two years in the UK from 1979 to 1981, so the risk of mad cow disqualifies me.

Yes, even though I turned 2 in 1981.

He may be, but that's the actual situation in Canada AND with Quebec's own blood-collection service.

Or at least it was when I checked, which was a few years ago.

Wait. Bhamster's not joking?
Nope, not joking. I actually went and rechecked the regulations online, just in case they've been changed, but alas, people who've lived in the UK for more than five years are still banned from donating blood in Taiwan.

I got my computer to finally turn on and to complete its updates. Turns out my wireless network card was incompatible with windows 10, and that causes the system to freeze when performing updates on boot up.

So this is a really minor victory because the only way to get internet on my computer now is by running an Ethernet cable across the room, until I can afford an up to date network card.

I got my computer to finally turn on and to complete its updates. Turns out my wireless network card was incompatible with windows 10, and that causes the system to freeze when performing updates on boot up.

So this is a really minor victory because the only way to get internet on my computer now is by running an Ethernet cable across the room, until I can afford an up to date network card.
Plug-and-play USB adapters are pretty cheap these days, and (at least the USB3 ones) get up to the speeds an internal card gets. Much easier to troubleshoot and replace too. I'm happy I made the switch, at least.

I've used two USB wifi adaptors for my desktop and they were both great - one of them was eaten by the Fall Creator's Update and the other was so small I lost the damn thing in the move - but they do work great these days.

my wireless network card was incompatible with windows 10, and that causes the system to freeze when performing updates on boot up.
A wireless card interfering with boot is actually such a common problem that one of first troubleshooting steps for a computer that hangs during boot no matter WHAT operating system you are using is to remove the wireless card and try again.

—Patrick

I’m O - and donated as often as I could until the Mad Cow thing.

Now having the genetic marker for my autoimmune disease means they won’t touch me with a ten foot pole. It’s a specific question for bone marrow. My PFO for that was pretty cold. I guess I should have know not to waste their time once it was listed? Not very pleasant.

I haven't given blood in years, but I'm AB- so I don't feel that bad about it. Not having a job means I don't get reminded by blood drives on a regular basis so it slips my mind.

I haven't given blood in years, but I'm AB- so I don't feel that bad about it. Not having a job means I don't get reminded by blood drives on a regular basis so it slips my mind.
Plus being AB- means you can take anyone, so you’re set almost no matter what.

—Patrick

Well, anyone with a - blood type. :p
Nope, you can take + as well. People who are + can only receive from +, but people who are - can receive from both + and -, because being - means your system doesn’t care about Rh factor, while being + means your system will care.
Welp looks like I’ve had it backwards since,..forever, I guess.

—Patrick

Last edited:
Believe me, when you are - blood type and have children, the doctors are all up in your business, even if you swear the father is also -. :p

I'm ineligible for bone marrow donation thanks to a head injury I had a decade ago. I actually was called up twice (which was surprising because they said only around 15 percent of people get called once in their life and I was on the list for about a year and a half). The first time I told them about everything, even had a blood test done and was told that while I was a match, they found a better one. The second time I let them know they said they had to review it. When they called me back to let me know I was permanently ineligible, the person on the phone was very clearly crying. It was quite uncomfortable.

They were all up in Kati’s business, too, but they seemed most interested in whether or not she was “pregnant under duress/against her will.”

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
DI.FM added a true "Synthwave" channel (previously they just had a "Future Synthpop" channel where everything sounded like depeche mode). It's badass. I just re-upped my premium subscription for another year.

DI.FM added a true "Synthwave" channel (previously they just had a "Future Synthpop" channel where everything sounded like depeche mode). It's badass. I just re-upped my premium subscription for another year.
From what I’ve been seeing lately, Synthwave is making an actual comeback, so you might have to suffer through additional newly-created content as people jump on the bandwagon.

<wonka-no-please-stop.gif>

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
From what I’ve been seeing lately, Synthwave is making an actual comeback, so you might have to suffer through additional newly-created content as people jump on the bandwagon.

<wonka-no-please-stop.gif>

—Patrick
I've been listening to it all day, it's top shelf stuff, so far. It's gratifying, seeing as how I lobbied them for a Synthwave channel for the last couple years (citing Stranger Things and Thor: Ragnarok as evidence that Synthwave was making a comeback).

In that case, what a time to be alive.
On a semi-related note, there’s a different thing that I see is making a comeback (its last peak was in the 80’s) and it fills me with the bestest sort of joy, so I have some idea of how that makes you feel.

EDIT: Sorry, @Dave - that would be telling.

—Patrick

Last edited: