Minor victory thread

GasBandit

Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth
Staff member
The power went out here at work.

Everything important managed to stay up and running on UPS backups for the 10 seconds it took for the emergency generator to kick in!

(For once.)[DOUBLEPOST=1518203791,1518203249][/DOUBLEPOST]As luck would have it, I was in the middle of laying down a voice track for a commercial I'm cutting when the power went out, along with the lights. Computer stayed on though, so you get to hear what it sounded like.

Attachments

The power went out here at work.

Everything important managed to stay up and running on UPS backups for the 10 seconds it took for the emergency generator to kick in!

(For once.)[DOUBLEPOST=1518203791,1518203249][/DOUBLEPOST]As luck would have it, I was in the middle of laying down a voice track for a commercial I'm cutting when the power went out, along with the lights. Computer stayed on though, so you get to hear what it sounded like.
*steaks dumped all over announcer by backing up dump truck*

GasBandit

Staff member
*steaks dumped all over announcer by backing up dump truck*
They actually are selling the steaks out of the back of a truck. Well, an 18 wheeler, and they're vacuum packed and all that, but it's pretty fly-by-night.

But hey, 20 ribeyes for $25.

(Reviews online say they are 1/4" thick, 4 oz steaks, and quality is very, very suspect).

Last edited:

Squidleybits

Pika Pika Choo Choo!
Very minor, but it’s nice to know that I can still negotiate. My daughter destroyed her iPhone and I called up our cell phone company today and explained very nicely that all of our contracts were over and that we could all go on Bring Our Own Devices plans or just walk and asked what they could do to make us want to stay. Buddy gave me a massive discount on a new phone :)

The prices that they advertise online require their most expensive plan, which I don’t have and refuse to get. The prices with my plan are completely out of control.

Just got my monthly stack of comics today. Some good stuff I've been waiting to see. Astro City is always one of my first books that I read each month, got to the end of this issue, and discovered that I got Lett of the Month for issue #50. I'm surprised. and rather honored to have that.

I have the full 15 volume set of The Sesame Street Library (I think they were published in '78?) and they used to be one of my favorite things to read as a kid. Each one is filled with different stories and artwork and craft ideas and recipes, plus no Elmo! They're still in near-mint condition, so couple of years ago I gave them to Li'l Z. Recently I realized that he's never really touched them and he's more-or-less moved on from Sesame Street, but these books are so good, I couldn't let them go without a fighting chance. So a few weeks ago, I pulled out Volume 1 as our nightly bedtime book, and he didn't seem to keen on it at first. Now it's been three weeks, we're on our second read-through of the entire series, and he can't/won't go to sleep without it. He loves it, and I won't lie, I love rereading the stories and doing the voices and seeing him love all the stuff I loved about the older run of Sesame Street. I had forgotten about characters like Sherlock Hemlock, Little Bird, and Herbert Birdsfoot, and that they'd actually use the word "stupid". I'm hoping these will have a special place in his heart like they did for me, even when he gets "too old" to read them regularly.

My work announced that they're changing the vacation system, and while it's not official, I've heard through the grapevine that it effectively means I'm gonna get another week of vacation starting next year rather than in 2021 as currently scheduled.

fade

Now with 14% more raisins
Staff member
Hope it won't be like this company. I have 5 weeks now, but I never get to take it because I am the only person who knows how to do my part in this $11M project that the client is always breathing down our necks about.

I'm not worried about that. There's a project here that I'm the only person that can really manage. I give the customer notice and they understand that they're not getting help unless it's a dire emergency. My boss has my cell phone number, but I trust him to not bother me unless it's necessary.

Bubble181

The odd one out
Well, I don't know if it belongs here or in the minor rant thread or the crap thread or whatever.... But guess who got fired today? No fault, so they're paying me because they don't want me to work my term. Oh well.

I wanted out and I was getting depressed going there, but it still feels like a personal failure. I think a dozen people have already told me it really isn't my fault...We'll see how I feel in a few days. Definitely will have to step up my job search game, though.

Dei

Always shooting Terrik
Well, I don't know if it belongs here or in the minor rant thread or the crap thread or whatever.... But guess who got fired today? No fault, so they're paying me because they don't want me to work my term. Oh well.

I wanted out and I was getting depressed going there, but it still feels like a personal failure. I think a dozen people have already told me it really isn't my fault...We'll see how I feel in a few days. Definitely will have to step up my job search game, though.
Wasn't getting fired with no fault kind of what you wanted so that you'd still get paid though? Maybe you should start thinking of it as an Epic Win instead! ;)

Bubble181

The odd one out
Wasn't getting fired with no fault kind of what you wanted so that you'd still get paid though? Maybe you should start thinking of it as an Epic Win instead! ;)
Well, yes - that's why it ended up in a Victory thread. I feel kind of bad about feeling liberated, and guilty about not caring, and guilty over getting fired because even though I know it isn't really my fault it still feels like it is.

stienman

GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF ENERGY
No fault, so they're paying me
Sweet! You get the personal health break you wanted, and hopefully it's enough time to reset, recharge, reevaluate, and get a new job.

...it still feels like a personal failure.
It can feel that way, and probably will for awhile. The only thing I've been able to do in situations like this is to push that thought away and ignore it when it pops up.

Focus on the future. Learn what you can from the past, sure, but don't let the past become wall or challenge. Write them off and move on.

From what you've told us over the years, they were no longer a good fit for you and you've needed to leave for a very long time now. They've done you a favor, and there's no need to believe that you've failed in any way, shape, or form. You two simply didn't match up any more, you've both felt the friction of the mismatch, and this is for the best.

Whenever I leave a job, voluntarily or involuntarily, I celebrate with my wife, it's somewhat of a tradition. The responsibilities, annoyances, etc are gone, and while we both understand there's some difficulty ahead, it's worth recognizing and celebrating the loss of all the negative aspects of the job I'm leaving behind. The celebration actually seems to offset a lot of the negative feelings I'd normally have for such a loss, and gives a clean break for both of us allowing us to move forward.

That and I've recognized over the years that I tend to like comfort bubbles - once I become comfortable in a position, regardless of the difficulties it might cause, I tend to stay simply because it's what I know. Leaving such places behind and forcing myself out of my comfort zone has always been beneficial. I've never (cross my fingers) left a job so far and not landed in a better place overall for myself and my family. So I look back on previous breaks when I'm feeling bad about my current break and recognize that it's generally for the best. Hopefully your previous job changes have always been positive - if so, keep that in mind and look forward to the next, probably better for you, opportunity.

Squidleybits

Pika Pika Choo Choo!

I’m really sorry that it had to come to this, but something had to happen soon. The stress was really starting to impact your health in some pretty scary ways.

How long will you have benefits and/or be paid for?

There was certainly a failure there, but it wasn’t yours. Your immediate supervisor sounds like a complete idiot. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got himself in some serious trouble without you there to hold him up in the next few months. He will be at fault when he goes. Please tell us all about that when you find out.

I hope that you can find something awesome once you’ve taken a break.[DOUBLEPOST=1518666189,1518666023][/DOUBLEPOST]
I always owe money. I could adjust my withholdings or whatever but by the refund logic, this is basically an interest free loan from the government to me.
Mine is a refund due to RRSP contributions and other non-work items and special credits that I’m entitled to. I honestly don’t think the payroll people could manage anything beyond the standard withholding to the government so I just enjoy my refund each year.

fade

Now with 14% more raisins
Staff member
I never owed money until I started a nicely salaried job. Now I always owe. Sometimes a lot. My exemptions are all the way down. I guess I could fill in that "hold additional money from my check" box, but I'd rather just pay in April.

Bubble181

The odd one out
I’m really sorry that it had to come to this, but something had to happen soon. The stress was really starting to impact your health in some pretty scary ways.

How long will you have benefits and/or be paid for?

There was certainly a failure there, but it wasn’t yours. Your immediate supervisor sounds like a complete idiot. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got himself in some serious trouble without you there to hold him up in the next few months. He will be at fault when he goes. Please tell us all about that when you find out.

I hope that you can find something awesome once you’ve taken a break.

Six weeks, after that it's unemployment, which is 65% of my last paycheck for the first few months, then 60% for the rest of the first year.[DOUBLEPOST=1518706654,1518706566][/DOUBLEPOST]And thank you :)

GasBandit

Staff member
I never owed money until I started a nicely salaried job. Now I always owe. Sometimes a lot. My exemptions are all the way down. I guess I could fill in that "hold additional money from my check" box, but I'd rather just pay in April.
It's better to pay than to get a refund, IMO (though of course rigging it so you pay as close to 0 as possible is the best). No interest-free loans to the government!