Minor victory thread

The coating portion of the ingredients section is

https://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyGuidanceManual/ucm074446.htm

Blame the chocolate lobby. The industry only wants actual chocolate to be labelled chocolate. Foods which contain cocoa but do not contain the necessary ingredients to be considered chocolate (ie, typical chocolate bar with cocoa, one of a specific set of fats, and one of a specific set of sugars in specific proportions) may not be labeled "chocolate" except where consumers have long expected that to be the case. So chocolate pudding, as an example, isn't "chocolate" by definition, but is still allowed to be called "chocolate pudding" because it's been that way for so long.

The FDA may fine food producers who label cocoa containing items as "chocolate" if they do not match the expected definition of chocolate.

Thus, it's a "chocolatey" coating, not a chocolate coating. Get a real chocolate coated ice cream bar and compare the two - this one is easy to bite and consume without the chocolate flaking off or being hard to bite through, while an icecream bar with real chocolate has to have such a thin shell that it has very little chocolate flavor, or it cracks and is hard to bite through.
It will surprise no-one that I am firmly on the side of the chocolate industry here. Don't call something that isn't chocolate, chocolate. I think the FDA rules aren't strict enough, honestly. And yes, there can be valid reasons to use something chocolate-flavored or chocolate-like instead of actual chocolate, such as in flash-frozen or deep-frozen foods, or in deep-fried foods. Still doesn't mean you can suddenyl call it chocolate. Laminate is easier to transport and cheaper and lighter and can make prettier corners than actual marble, but calling your laminate flooring "marble" still doesn't make it so.

Still unemployed, but OTOH...

The first actual non-vacation weekends I've had in over SEVEN YEARS.

Places that don't open until noon I can go to without worrying about sleep.

McDonald's or Sheetz aren't the only options open when I want something from out for lunch.

SUNLIGHT!

Watching live sporting events instead of having to read about it after I wake up.

I finally can live like a human being again.

GasBandit

Staff member
My station now has its own app. Never thought I'd see the day.

As in, not "get this other app that specializes in radio stations and search for my station, it's in there somewhere," but an actual standalone app that has our branding and streams only my station.

Guess it's time to flip the format again and ruin everything, eh?

My station now has its own app. Never thought I'd see the day.

As in, not "get this other app that specializes in radio stations and search for my station, it's in there somewhere," but an actual standalone app that has our branding and streams only my station.

Guess it's time to flip the format again and ruin everything, eh?
I feel like having your own app and NOT being part of something like I<3Radio is actually behind the times. Unless they have delusions of grandeur about how popular they are.

GasBandit

Staff member
I feel like having your own app and NOT being part of something like I<3Radio is actually behind the times. Unless they have delusions of grandeur about how popular they are.
Iheart is just clear channel renamed. They are literally a competitor.

Basically what you just said is "I feel like if you're a restaurant but your food is not served at mcdonald's, you're just behind the times."

But yeah, our station's also on TuneIn and has been for years.

Iheart is just clear channel renamed. They are literally a competitor.

Basically what you just said is "I feel like if you're a restaurant but your food is not served at mcdonald's, you're just behind the times."

But yeah, our station's also on TuneIn and has been for years.
I feel like there's a different set of criteria for a radio station vs. a restaurant. A local station having their own app just seems like a waste of resources.

GasBandit

Staff member
I feel like there's a different set of criteria for a radio station vs. a restaurant. A local station having their own app just seems like a waste of resources.
I'm sure Clear Channel Radio IHeartRadio is gratified you feel that way.

I mean, they are literally the reason why radio sucks so bad now and has for decades, and are a big part of why everything you see and hear is owned by the same 6 companies, but hey, w/e. :p

I mean, they are literally the reason why radio sucks so bad now and has for decades, and are a big part of why everything you see and hear is owned by the same 6 companies, but hey, w/e. :p
I didn't say it had to be that one, I said like that one, which you said your station already uses as well. If you actually think a station that can't even pay to hold its own shit together and is basically in a holding pattern to be sold by it's cheapskate owner needs an app, so be it.

I heard a rumor that Clear Channel started as a single radio station in Ohio called WPIG.

GasBandit

Staff member
I didn't say it had to be that one, I said like that one, which you said your station already uses as well. If you actually think a station that can't even pay to hold its own shit together and is basically in a holding pattern to be sold by it's cheapskate owner needs an app, so be it.
Well, I did say I was surprised and never thought I'd see it happen. As you note, it is not like him to spend money.

But if Internet Explorer still has the balls to ask you to be your default browser, my little station can launch an app :p

Well, I did say I was surprised and never thought I'd see it happen. As you note, it is not like him to spend money.

But if Internet Explorer still has the balls to ask you to be your default browser, my little station can launch an app :p
It's Edge now, you GD old man.

Tbh, I use Chrome, but I also don't live in a cave under a rock.

Unless you ask me about modern music. My music tastes stopped somewhere around the late 90s early 2000s.

There was a Reddit thread talking about how crazy popular the song Despacito is. I had to look it up on Youtube as I'd never even heard about it until that moment. This was maybe last week.

GasBandit

Staff member
I saw it on a react video a couple weeks ago (that I didn't bother posting here) and was all, what, this is a thing? I've never heard of this, and I hear 11 songs a day that sound just like this wafting out of the studio of our spanish station.

As a middle school teacher, I am well-versed in shitty pop music that is super popular. Trust me, you don't want to see how deep that rabbit hole goes.

And don't get me started on dabbing, bottle flipping, fidget spinners, or YouTubers.

fade

Staff member
Does anyone have a primer on why ClearChannel is the devil? I am too tired of "everything is bad" to go digging and sorting the truth from speculation and rumor.

Does anyone have a primer on why ClearChannel is the devil? I am too tired of "everything is bad" to go digging and sorting the truth from speculation and rumor.
Short version is they're the Engulf and Devour of the radio world. Buying up everything in sight and destroying competition. Making everything so rigidly formatted that the dial is full of lousy rotten stinking sampling stations.

But hey, deregulation was good, yes?

GasBandit

Staff member
Short version? Their business model was to buy a radio station, gut it for capital, leave it running on a shoestring with a skeleton staff so that they'd have money to buy another station, and gut it for capital, and so on and so forth, across half the stations in the country. This was a large factor in why all radio stations started to sound the same (and crappy), because they WERE the same (and crappy). Most Clear Channel stations of a given genre were actually all networked off the same one station, using voicetracking and automation extensively, so that they basically became the McDonalds of radio - where no matter what city you're in, you get the same experience - and that experience was created as cheaply as possible. At least the actual mcdonalds doesn't buy out/close down competing restaurants in the various markets it gets in to. And there are other things too, but this is the root of how they damaged broadcast radio as an industry.

Last edited:
Short version? Their business model was to buy a radio station, gut it for capital, leave it running on a shoestring with a skeleton staff so that they'd have money to buy another station, and gut it for capital, and so on and so forth, across half the stations in the country. This was a large factor in why all radio stations started to sound the same (and crappy), because they WERE the same (and crappy). Most Clear Channel stations of a given genre were actually all networked off the same one station, using voicetracking and automation extensively, so that they basically became the McDonalds of radio - where no matter what city you're in, you get the same experience - and that experience was created as cheaply as possible. At least the actual mcdonalds doesn't buy out/close down competing restaurants in the various markets it gets in to. And there are other things too, but this is the root of how they damaged broadcast radio as an industry.
But hey, deregulation, free market, and all that jazz! Has to be good, yes? :troll:

GasBandit

Staff member
But hey, deregulation, free market, and all that jazz! Has to be good, yes? :troll:
I've spoken quite often on how I believe that trustbusting is a crucial role of government, even in a libertarian utopia. Competition is what makes markets work, and monoplies/trusts strangle competition. Breaking up AT&T was good for the advancement of the telecom industry, in the long run, and especially good for consumers.

Besides, now that corporations are people, it should be illegal for one to own another, right? :D