Minor victory thread

fade

Staff member
I know I don't speak for the entire South, but that's yet another one of those so-called "southern" things I've mostly ever seen in movies about the south rather than in real life. The only times I've really heard it are old farts, people quoting movies, or saying it dripping with so much sarcasm that there's no need for the above explanation.

fade

Staff member
Every time I say that, you counter that it happens there. I'm starting to think Hollywood did all their research about the south in Savannah.

I'm in the west GA area (near Atlanta's perimeter) and I've heard that saying used many times.

Starting to suspect @fade is a replicant with imperfect memories.

Every time I say that, you counter that it happens there. I'm starting to think Hollywood did all their research about the south in Savannah.
Uh, pretty much, Georgia is such a huge movie making state that they base all the "South" off of it. That's why you have very Georgia idioms that show up on shows based in Texas.

fade

Staff member
Man in rural SC less than an hour and a half away, I really have only heard the old farts use it. Maybe it has to do with moving out of state before really being an adult. The kids sure didn't use it.

The only ice cream that is better that Blue Bell is Ben and Jerry's. Then it is at 3 times the price.
Ben and Jerry's is really great.

This is my list:
Cold Stone Creamery > BnJ > Mayfield > Blue Bell > Breyers > everything else

I think Mayfield is a regional thing though. It's better than Blue Bell. Trust me.[DOUBLEPOST=1500040592,1500040482][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ben and Jerry's is really great.

This is my list:
Cold Stone Creamery > BnJ > Mayfield > Blue Bell > Breyers > everything else

I think Mayfield is a regional thing though. It's better than Blue Bell. Trust me.
Also, I grew up in Oklahoma and "bless your heart" was an old lady thing to say. My mom never said it growing up, but now that she is near 70, she says it all the time. The one that gets me is when she says, "Oh bless her little baby heart!" :confused:

figmentPez

Staff member
My favorite ice creams are Tillamook, and Trader Joe's. Honorable mentions to Magnum bars, Blue Bunny, Ben & Jerry's, and those amazing Mickey Mouse shaped ice cream bars you can only get inside parks (these, not these).

I don't believe Belgian's can make a quality ice cream. You'd better send a case over so I can verify if it's any good or not.

I don't believe Belgian's can make a quality ice cream. You'd better send a case over so I can verify if it's any good or not.
No problem, I'll send over a case of s trawberry ice cream. You're responsible for explaining to USPS why they have a box dripping red liquid to transport, though.

It's probably made with cocoa powder but not cocoa butter, which is actually a better thing for a frozen dessert because it's hard to get cocoa butter to melt in your mouth when it's that cold.
The coating portion of the ingredients section is

coating (sugar, chocolate, coconut oil, Dutch processed cocoa powder, soybean oil, cocoa butter, dairy oil, soy lecithin, artificial flavors)
https://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyGuidanceManual/ucm074446.htm

Blame the chocolate lobby. The industry only wants actual chocolate to be labelled chocolate. Foods which contain cocoa but do not contain the necessary ingredients to be considered chocolate (ie, typical chocolate bar with cocoa, one of a specific set of fats, and one of a specific set of sugars in specific proportions) may not be labeled "chocolate" except where consumers have long expected that to be the case. So chocolate pudding, as an example, isn't "chocolate" by definition, but is still allowed to be called "chocolate pudding" because it's been that way for so long.

The FDA may fine food producers who label cocoa containing items as "chocolate" if they do not match the expected definition of chocolate.

Thus, it's a "chocolatey" coating, not a chocolate coating. Get a real chocolate coated ice cream bar and compare the two - this one is easy to bite and consume without the chocolate flaking off or being hard to bite through, while an icecream bar with real chocolate has to have such a thin shell that it has very little chocolate flavor, or it cracks and is hard to bite through.