Minor victory thread

The horrible engine noise was not the engine giving up the ghost, it was the muffler detached from the exhaust pipe. A much less painful repair, but I have to wait for a part to come in.

Depends on the purity of the water and the pressure of the environment. Beyond that you may also want to be pedantic about the phrase "ice cold", since there's no such thing as "cold".

For weeks now my wife and I have been living under a misconception that a lot of people were overreacting about regional weather patterns and how quickly newcomers might adjust to them. Namely - everyone from the gas station attendants to the seller's agent on the house we're in the process of buying has warned us about how windy it gets in Port Orford / Curry County, OR. Now, every region has it's own thing that they talk about, so this isn't really surprising; and I've lived in windy areas before, so surely this can't be as big a deal as they're making it, right? Yeah... we finally got clued in last weekend when we had to run down and do a walkthrough with our inspection report (it's a bit rough but can all be fixed for pretty cheap before the appraisal). They close the schools when the winds hit 70 mph - but they usually know a few days to a week in advance of a storm hitting and they rarely lose power for more than 3 days.

Y'know... I've really missed storms.

$300 in new equipment later, and I can use the target to aim at 60 yards instead of vaguely aiming in the air and hoping for the best. Yay! (I haven't tried farther back yet :x)

For weeks now my wife and I have been living under a misconception that a lot of people were overreacting about regional weather patterns and how quickly newcomers might adjust to them. Namely - everyone from the gas station attendants to the seller's agent on the house we're in the process of buying has warned us about how windy it gets in Port Orford / Curry County, OR. Now, every region has it's own thing that they talk about, so this isn't really surprising; and I've lived in windy areas before, so surely this can't be as big a deal as they're making it, right? Yeah... we finally got clued in last weekend when we had to run down and do a walkthrough with our inspection report (it's a bit rough but can all be fixed for pretty cheap before the appraisal). They close the schools when the winds hit 70 mph - but they usually know a few days to a week in advance of a storm hitting and they rarely lose power for more than 3 days.

Y'know... I've really missed storms.
I certainly don't begrudge you the storms and a serious storm is no laughing matter, but 70 mph seems...Fairly quickly? I mean, we occasionally get 120KPH wind gusts (which is roughly 75-80 MPH) here in stormy weather, and nobody really cares except people have to tie down their parasols and stuff. Or do you mean *continuous* winds over 70MPH with gusts up to 90 or whatever?

I certainly don't begrudge you the storms and a serious storm is no laughing matter, but 70 mph seems...Fairly quickly? I mean, we occasionally get 120KPH wind gusts (which is roughly 75-80 MPH) here in stormy weather, and nobody really cares except people have to tie down their parasols and stuff. Or do you mean *continuous* winds over 70MPH with gusts up to 90 or whatever?
I have a feeling they probably mean sustained winds with higher gusts. Now that I've taken a brief moment to look around, articles about past storms tend to mention things like the entire school roof being blown off, planes crashing as they try to land, entire (new-growth) forests being blown down... stuff like that.

I have a feeling they probably mean sustained winds with higher gusts. Now that I've taken a brief moment to look around, articles about past storms tend to mention things like the entire school roof being blown off, planes crashing as they try to land, entire (new-growth) forests being blown down... stuff like that.
Well, sure, that's an average weekend. :p

Well, sure, that's an average weekend. :p
I've got the perfect theme song for that!

GasBandit

Staff member
One of the air jocks from our Spanish station (who is a native Spanish speaker, naturally) just told me my accent is "beautiful" when I speak Spanish.

I mean, I barely know ANY Spanish, full disclosure, and what I do know has very limited utility. But I guess I got the accent down![DOUBLEPOST=1498758229,1498757818][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and just for reference, the phrase I spoke to elicit this comment was "El niño muerto está en el bote de basura." To illustrate that I first learned Spanish while living in El Paso.

Isn't your Spanish knowledge something about calling back later when you have to answer the Spanish station phone?

GasBandit

Staff member
Isn't your Spanish knowledge something about calling back later when you have to answer the Spanish station phone?
That's a large chunk of it, actually, yes.

"La unica persona que habla Espanol aqui ahora es Gregorio, en el Estudio. El numero es siete siete seis..."

"Señora Carolina no esta en su Oficina. Desea dejarle un mensaje en el correo de voz?"

That kind of thing. And my grammar isn't always perfect, but apparently if you speak fast enough grammar doesn't matter.[DOUBLEPOST=1498758675,1498758522][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's a shame she's not a redhead.
He. He's actually a Professor at A&M for his "real job." Just moonlights on the radio because he likes it. And yes, he teaches Spanish :p

That's a large chunk of it, actually, yes.

"La unica persona que habla Espanol aqui ahora es Gregorio, en el Estudio. El numero es siete siete seis..."

"Señora Carolina no esta en su Oficina. Desea dejarle un mensaje en el correo de voz?"

That kind of thing. And my grammar isn't always perfect, but apparently if you speak fast enough grammar doesn't matter.[DOUBLEPOST=1498758675,1498758522][/DOUBLEPOST]
He. He's actually a Professor at A&M for his "real job." Just moonlights on the radio because he likes it. And yes, he teaches Spanish :p
My first "usable" spanish I learned outside of high school was "Uso de blanqueadores para desinfectar"

I've decided to adopt the Spanish lisp when I speak Spanish. I'm glad I didn't have it in high school though. Probably would've gotten comments (the fact that I kinda have a lisp in general doesn't help).

I learned Spanish from teachers/profs who were Italian, Hungarian, Indian, and Jewish (plus of course exposure to Sesame Street, etc.). I grew up in an area full of people who are Black, Chaldean, Jewish, and Polish. I get to Spain, and people tell me my accent makes it sound like I'm from Central/South America. Go figure.

--Patrick

The car is not falling apart. Most of the "holding the exhaust pipes in place" bits had fallen off over the last few years, and that issue finally hit critical mass. Most of the horrible noises were due to the exhaust rubbing where it wasn't supposed to. It also explains a few of the clankity clank "what just fell off" noises I'd heard from the back end. After that was repaired, the state inspection just needed a couple of lights to pass. Total damages, $353 on the family credit card. NOT to my checking account. :D