Minor victory thread

That's the one I was just looking at on Best Buy. I have a Netgear dual band gigabit router that's been idle since the Xfinity box arrived.
I'm happy with it thus far, it's able to deliver at/above the contracted speeds, which is all it really needs to do. Using a TP-Link router from my Charter days with it.

Not sure how involved setting the modem up is, since I paid for a Comcast tech to come out (I knew that they would have to run new cable to this house, plus change bad coax plugs).

I'm happy with it thus far, it's able to deliver at/above the contracted speeds, which is all it really needs to do. Using a TP-Link router from my Charter days with it.

Not sure how involved setting the modem up is, since I paid for a Comcast tech to come out (I knew that they would have to run new cable to this house, plus change bad coax plugs).
Without looking at the documentation, it should be as easy as a web page or a phone call. I already have the Xfinity modem/router with wi-fi ac, so there's no need for a Comcast tech to visit. I'd just have to go to their store to return the box once it's swapped out. Like I'm about to do to return the X1 box.

fade

Staff member
I got a good docsis 3 modem from eBay for 15 bucks, just FYI. A router will be more, but well worth it.

I've managed to recruit an editor to help replace the ones we've lost so far in my department. He's a friend of mine, we went to grad school together, so I know he's got what it takes. He's also quite good looking, but hopefully that won't affect anything...

I don't have a passport, I have to watch over the house and the cats, and my Chinese language skills are virtually nil, but otherwise I'm available. :p

I don't have a passport, I have to watch over the house and the cats, and my Chinese language skills are virtually nil, but otherwise I'm available. :p
You're hired. We'll smuggle you into Taiwan via my suitcase, and you can bring your cats too. You have the whole flight to brush up on your Chinese skills (admittedly it's a pretty long flight, like fifteen hours or so), which should be plenty of time. Bring a flashlight so that you'll be able to read in the suitcase.

You're hired. We'll smuggle you into Taiwan via my suitcase, and you can bring your cats too. You have the whole flight to brush up on your Chinese skills (admittedly it's a pretty long flight, like fifteen hours or so), which should be plenty of time. Bring a flashlight so that you'll be able to read in the suitcase.
You know, about a decade ago, someone offered to get me a job as an English teacher in Japan...because they didn't have a tinwhistler in their local irish session. :D

Being headhunted for a CEO job in Saskatchewan at a pretty decently sized organization. Wife says I can take it, but I have to commute. It's only a five hour commute each way, that's doable, right?

Being headhunted for a CEO job in Saskatchewan at a pretty decently sized organization. Wife says I can take it, but I have to commute. It's only a five hour commute each way, that's doable, right?
Negotiate for a company driver, vehicle, and timeturner :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I might have a line on a Cessna you could buy, cut that commute down to 2 hours maybe.

fade

Staff member
My wife keeps giving me a similar line, too. You can take the job, but we're not moving again. Not sure how to take that.

I got a similar offer for a CTO job with a national wine and beer chain. But I would've had to work in New York. I declined.

I wasn't willing to move to NY, nor was I willing to live in NY during the work week, and commute home for the weekends. The pay was about $36K more than I'm making now, but I'm not sure I would have wound up on top financially.

GasBandit

Staff member
My wife keeps giving me a similar line, too. You can take the job, but we're not moving again. Not sure how to take that.
You know exactly how to take that.

It means "no," but you aren't allowed to get mad because she's pretending to compromise.

My problem's a little different. I already live 3 hours away. A hook-up every couple of weeks is great and all, but fuck, I want more and I want more with her. But one of us has to quit our job currently for that to happen and that's not going to happen.

Oh well, Sadface McWoeisme.

fade

Staff member
Would you be willing to quit your job and relocate near Frank?

(Joking aside, I'm sorry you both are in less-than-ideal situations.)
Can I relocate to Jersey instead?*

*the poster hereby apologizes for the creepiness of this post inflicted upon the receiving party. Party to the first party twice removed. Requiem en terra pax. Klattu barrada nikto. Tax, title, and tags.

Can I relocate to Jersey instead?*

*the poster hereby apologizes for the creepiness of this post inflicted upon the receiving party. Party to the first party twice removed. Requiem en terra pax. Klattu barrada nikto. Tax, title, and tags.

On the otherhand, Mr. Z would probably approve if this left him more time for gaming. :D