Minor victory thread

Sorry.

Oh no, I'M sorry.

No! I'M sorry.

Not as sorry as I am!

I'm sorrier than you are!

UN Mediator: What the fuck am I doing here?
Bitch, please. I'm involved in this one and I'm bringing doomweasels and moose calvary to this apology fight.

Sorry.

Oh no, I'M sorry.

No! I'M sorry.

Not as sorry as I am!

I'm sorrier than you are!

UN Mediator: What the fuck am I doing here?
You drop the puck so we can get this started already.[DOUBLEPOST=1494279970,1494279910][/DOUBLEPOST]
Or a hi Squidleybits???[DOUBLEPOST=1494253404,1494253368][/DOUBLEPOST]
And yes, all the fun ones.
Yay I'm fun![DOUBLEPOST=1494280019][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are all the Canadians here from Halifax?!?
So watch doin?

Meh. This just means the Westerners will forget to hate on Ontario for a couple days.
Don't worry, our hatred of Quebec outshines any other animosity, though possibly not our feelings towards that pit of hell also known as Toronto.

Hi @Jay

;)

(Yes I'm in Halifax too with @Dirona, but that doesn't mean I'm still not an Albertan on some level)

Eye surgery finished around 11. I came home and took a nap, mostly because I slept like shit last night. The Xanax probably took the edge of my anxiety off, but I never hit totally relaxed/I don't give a fuck. But it was enough to quash the anxiety I had left long enough to get through it. Vision is better (low bar), but can't see great right now, and probably won't be able to for a few days because my eyes need to heal first. Writing this post is pretty interesting, so if there's any typos, fuck off.

figmentPez

Staff member
After nearly 9 years* I ordered a new computer! I spotted a good deal on Woot and decided to grab it. It's nothing spectacular, but it's pretty good deal for $450, certainly better than I could build out of parts for the same price.

*Motherboard, processor, RAM, PSU, etc are original and were ordered on 2008-05-25. Graphics card was replaced a few months in when the first was was causing trouble, and I sold off the RMA'd original. Hard drive has been replaced twice. DVD-RW has been replaced. A pretty damn good run for the core components, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
After nearly 9 years* I ordered a new computer! I spotted a good deal on Woot and decided to grab it. It's nothing spectacular, but it's pretty good deal for $450, certainly better than I could build out of parts for the same price.

*Motherboard, processor, RAM, PSU, etc are original and were ordered on 2008-05-25. Graphics card was replaced a few months in when the first was was causing trouble, and I sold off the RMA'd original. Hard drive has been replaced twice. DVD-RW has been replaced. A pretty damn good run for the core components, though.
That's a decent deal. The Radeon RX 480 isn't as strong as the GTX 1060 3 gig, but it's still an excellent value (and as long as you're staying at 1080p it's probably more than enough for 99% of games out there on max settings).

Only thing I might recommend is it could be worth it to throw in another 8 gigs of ram in there, but that's not critical (and can be done cheaply the longer you wait, DDR4 is coming down in price rapidly).

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Only thing I might recommend is it could be worth it to throw in another 8 gigs of ram in there, but that's not critical (and can be done cheaply the longer you wait, DDR4 is coming down in price rapidly).
That thought had crossed my mind, but since it's not necessary it may have to wait. Good to know prices are coming down, though.

I'm pretty exicted. My current rig can't even play 1080p Youtube video anymore (though that's more down to how horribly inefficient web-based video is. VLC can handle 1080p no problem).

GasBandit

Staff member
That thought had crossed my mind, but since it's not necessary it may have to wait. Good to know prices are coming down, though.

I'm pretty exicted. My current rig can't even play 1080p Youtube video anymore (though that's more down to how horribly inefficient web-based video is. VLC can handle 1080p no problem).
I'll tell you one thing, the "wait for pez to load" days of Left 4 Dead are gonna be fuckin' over.

Save up to increase the amount of RAM/SSD, and that's actually not a bad rig. As always I'm a little leery of "factory standard" PSUs, but the rest of the components look solid.

--Patrick

Guys? Guys! GUYS! Okay, don't panic, everyone, but there's this giant ball of fire in the sky.

Now, I don't know much about science, but after weeks and weeks and weeks of cloudy skies and rain, I DON'T think this thing is natural.

And yet...there's something inviting about this giant ball of fire. It makes me want to go outside and bask in its glory. In fact, I think I might do that all day tomorrow. On my bike.

Guys? Guys! GUYS! Okay, don't panic, everyone, but there's this giant ball of fire in the sky.

Now, I don't know much about science, but after weeks and weeks and weeks of cloudy skies and rain, I DON'T think this thing is natural.

And yet...there's something inviting about this giant ball of fire. It makes me want to go outside and bask in its glory. In fact, I think I might do that all day tomorrow. On my bike.
Just make sure you sacrifice some lives, or it won't be hanging around for long.

Paid the 2nd half of the car insurance premium. I'm clear of that expense until at least September. It was... about the same amount as what was cut from this month's cable bill. :p

Got most of the stuff from the future son-in-law's apartment moved to the new townhouse they will be sharing. Next up, getting HER stuff moved over, then the wedding, and she's out the door.

Well yesterday my vision completely fuzzed out (I was told to expect it because that would be the day the cells over my line of vision would start filling back in), but today I can actually read my phone and books without needing to squint and guess. I was told I could probably start driving again around Monday or Tuesday and so far that seems spot on. :)

I joined an art group and they introduced me to the best website for lessons!

I'm just about the slowest ever so in addition to learning a lot, I hope that I pick up some speed too.

Sure! I should have my drawing for my first lesson done later today :)[DOUBLEPOST=1495107216,1495107148][/DOUBLEPOST]Or if you mean the website, I can do that too :)

I took a week off work to decompress and just basically laze around not doing anything. Managed to get through most of an entire playthrough of GTA 5.

Now I have no vacation days left, and my first day back to work today is looking like it's going to be a series of firefighting emergencies, but still... that was one glorious week.

Started quitting caffeine two weekends ago (dropped from 3-5 sodas daily, plus powdered pills and misc. coffee/tea, to 1 cup of tea daily). Dropped the tea this Saturday, and so far so good. Figure I'll go back to a wake-me-up cup of tea after a week or so, and keep it there.

Last time I quit, 5-6 years ago, it took two weeks of extreme irascibility and pressure headaches, so this was unexpectedly pleasant.

fade

Staff member
I dropped coffee for a few weeks near the beginning of this year. It didn't seem to make any real difference in my life (except that my pee didn't smell like a nice dark roast), so I started drinking it again.

I dropped coffee for a few weeks near the beginning of this year. It didn't seem to make any real difference in my life (except that my pee didn't smell like a nice dark roast), so I started drinking it again.
I get the usual boosting effects from it, but I want soda (and caffeine pills) out of my household budget. Figured it'd be easier to cut it down, rather than substitute.

fade

Staff member
I get the usual boosting effects from it, but I want soda (and caffeine pills) out of my household budget. Figured it'd be easier to cut it down, rather than substitute.
Yeah, I can see that. I don't drink much soda, and we have a free coffee service at work that isn't terrible. It's not great, either, but it's free.

Cutting out soda and replacing it with Perrier and La Croix was more expensive, but it has been worth it in the long run. I haven't had any diet soda this year, and just one bottle regular soda (a Moxie).

Well, the good news is that the garage we sent my car to fought the insurance company tooth and nail to get my car fully repaired and it's not being totaled. The garage even called Ford and is getting factory parts for the same price as the off market parts, so we don't have to worry about that either. The bad news is that the car won't be ready until the middle of June, but I'll take it.

Last edited:
When I cut the cable service, the comcast rep convinced me to keep the local channels, so I did that plus the HD and DVR for the X1.

And then I didn't turn the TV on for another three weeks.

So this morning I cut it all the way to internet only. 200Mbps for $87.95 plus $10 for using their box plus taxes and fees. The bill before I started chopping was around $230 per month.