Minor victory thread

fade

Staff member
Blue Bell's pimping out their new flavor, so that means everybody here at the station gets free ice cream. Noiiice.[DOUBLEPOST=1487956022,1487955429][/DOUBLEPOST]View attachment 23365

Verdict: SO worth risking Listeria.
Blue bell is the best thing to come out of Texas. They can kill hundreds of old farts with listeria, and people will crawl back for more. While vomiting.

Sold my 1 year old gtx 970 for 150€, bought a brand new never used RX 480 from a friend (he got his hands on a 1080 from a family member who is quitting gaming) for 200€. It has Doom included. Think I got out quite well from this deal. :)

Sold my 1 year old gtx 970 for 150€, bought a brand new never used RX 480 from a friend (he got his hands on a 1080 from a family member who is quitting gaming) for 200€. It has Doom included. Think I got out quite well from this deal. :)
The two are almost equivalent in performance, though if you got more VRAM out of the deal (970 usually has 4GB, 480 can have 8GB) then it's a nice step up.

--Patrick

Yep. Its the 8GB version. Its the red and black one from MSI which looks awsome in my tower. xD

And since I was planning on buying DOOM anyway, I havent lost any money in this trade.

I know that I often share bad news about my health here, so I wanted to share some good health news too! I went for an eye exam to get my eyes cleared to start one of the medications being offered as a treatment option. Not only was I cleared, but I've regained the vision I lost during my last few flares. No active inflammation either!!

Came around a corner last night on my way home and almost plowed into a herd of deer crossing the road.
Didn't.
Had to fish my Thermos out from up under the front dash thanks to Newton's first law of motion, though.

--Patrick

Client comes to us with some weird feedback. The case was originally handled by another editor, but he's not sure how to deal with it, and our supervisor doesn't know for sure either. She comes to me and asks for my opinion. I immediately come up with a procedure for what we need to do ("We can handle A, B, and C right away, but D and E will need to wait until we clarify the requirements with the client. Ask the client these specific questions, with these specific examples...")

My supervisor and the other editor were all like, "Whoa, that's great! Now we've got a plan!" My procedure wasn't anything brilliant either, but it was the result of having worked here for four-plus years and accumulating a smidgen of experience in dealing with clients.

This is the first time I've felt like I know what I'm doing around here.

GasBandit

Staff member
Client comes to us with some weird feedback. The case was originally handled by another editor, but he's not sure how to deal with it, and our supervisor doesn't know for sure either. She comes to me and asks for my opinion. I immediately come up with a procedure for what we need to do ("We can handle A, B, and C right away, but D and E will need to wait until we clarify the requirements with the client. Ask the client these specific questions, with these specific examples...")

My supervisor and the other editor were all like, "Whoa, that's great! Now we've got a plan!" My procedure wasn't anything brilliant either, but it was the result of having worked here for four-plus years and accumulating a smidgen of experience in dealing with clients.

This is the first time I've felt like I know what I'm doing around here.

"It was your lack of experience that did you in. Get some!" - Joseph Joestar

I FINALLY figured out how the rest of Dill's new adventure works. I'm at around 42,000 words and I'm right at the big final action scene.

I had troubles figuring out how it played out, though. Largely because Dill wasn't doing his usual thing of figuring it out himself in the spur of the moment. Then I realized the crap that needs to go down next isn't up to him; it's up to the person he's trying to help. Of course, that might not exactly be a good thing for Dill.

So I'll do some wake up yoga, have breakfast, and head to Starbucks.

I always assume the climactic scene goes something like:
Villain: "I have a gun! BANG! BANG!"
<smoke clears>
Villain:"What? How are you still alive?"
Dill: "Did you forget? I am an armadillo! I can roll into a protective ball that resists bullets!"
Villain: "Darn it! Well, back to the pokey for me, I guess."

--Patrick

I always assume the climactic scene goes something like:
Villain: "I have a gun! BANG! BANG!"
<smoke clears>
Villain:"What? How are you still alive?"
Dill: "Did you forget? I am an armadillo! I can roll into a protective ball that resists bullets!"
Villain: "Darn it! Well, back to the pokey for me, I guess."

--Patrick
Heh, well, Dill's a 9-banded armadillo, so he can't roll up into a ball. Only 3-banded armadillos can do that.

But people HAVE tried to shoot him with low-caliber guns. It doesn't work out well for them.

In this case? The baddie doesn't have guns, but Dill will WISH that's all he had.

I miss Whataburger too. The nearest one to me is over 2 hrs away. Easily the best chain-burger. Though, I've never had In-and-Out.

I assume that you can't get good barbecue in your neck of the woods either.

I miss Whataburger too. The nearest one to me is over 2 hrs away. Easily the best chain-burger. Though, I've never had In-and-Out.

I assume that you can't get good barbecue in your neck of the woods either.
Surprisingly, there's good BBQ, steak and Mexican food up here, if you look hard enough. (That last link is to a little hole-in-the-wall mexican joint that is just like the scores of them I've eaten at in Houston and Pasadena)

fade

Staff member
The great thing about BBQ in my opinion is that every region has their own style, and I haven't really met one I don't like.

I can't find good mexican around here. Hell, I can barely find good tex-mex around here. @Covar might know where to look.

I am not a fan of Carolina bbq. I prefer a Memphis-Texas style. No sweet sauce. No white sauce. Preferably, no sauce. Doesn't need it if done right, IMO.[DOUBLEPOST=1490202945,1490202816][/DOUBLEPOST]
The great thing about BBQ in my opinion is that every region has their own style, and I haven't really met one I don't like.
I don't like sweet bbq. Whatever style puts sugar in everything isn't for me. I am fine with bbq sauce having a sweet element (e.g. molasses or ketchup), but it shouldn't be sickly HFC sweet.

fade

Staff member
Which Carolina? NC and SC are pretty different. SC is a savory, spicy mustard based sauce without much sweetness.

I can't find good mexican around here. Hell, I can barely find good tex-mex around here. @Covar might know where to look.

I am not a fan of Carolina bbq. I prefer a Memphis-Texas style. No sweet sauce. No white sauce. Preferably, no sauce. Doesn't need it if done right, IMO.[DOUBLEPOST=1490202945,1490202816][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't like sweet bbq. Whatever style puts sugar in everything isn't for me. I am fine with bbq sauce having a sweet element (e.g. molasses or ketchup), but it shouldn't be sickly HFC sweet.
I use to know a pretty good Mexican place, but somewhere along the way the service took a huge nose dive, and after waiting 45 minutes for a check and getting into it with the waitress for having dared asked for it instead of going up to the front to pay, I no longer go back. There's also a place right above my comic shop that wasn't to bad, but after having to get the property manager to force them to fix their plumbing (some pipes were leaking, damaged about $200 worth of trades) I'm afraid to eat there. I don't have good luck with Mexican restaurants. :( I know a good Baja place though!

Also Eastern NC BBQ is the best, I've got places to recommend for that. SC BBQ is the worst.

Which Carolina? NC and SC are pretty different. SC is a savory, spicy mustard based sauce without much sweetness.
I've only had Melvin's in Charleston, SC. It was dry-rubbed spicy beef ribs. It was quite good. Does that count as SC?

I meant NC bbq. I've had western (Asheville) bbq and eastern (triangle-wilmington) bbq. Not a fan of most of it. It's not terrible. I prefer a good amount of smoke flavor with dry rub and sauce on the side. Most of the meat around here has very little flavor on its own. I don't dislike the vinegar or mustard. I just think the meat should be the star, not the sauce.[DOUBLEPOST=1490204176,1490204039][/DOUBLEPOST]
I use to know a pretty good Mexican place, but somewhere along the way the service took a huge nose dive, and after waiting 45 minutes for a check and getting into it with the waitress for having dared asked for it instead of going up to the front to pay, I no longer go back. There's also a place right above my comic shop that wasn't to bad, but after having to get the property manager to force them to fix their plumbing (some pipes were leaking, damaged about $200 worth of trades) I'm afraid to eat there. I don't have good luck with Mexican restaurants. :( I know a good Baja place though!

Also Eastern NC BBQ is the best, I've got places to recommend for that. SC BBQ is the worst.
Where's your shop? I am very rarely in Raleigh, but next time I am, I'll try to stop by.

Good mexican food is hard to find, sadly.

fade

Staff member
I've only had Melvin's in Charleston, SC. It was dry-rubbed spicy beef ribs. It was quite good. Does that count as SC?
Sounds like some Texas ex-pats. SC is a wet sauce and almost exclusively pork-based. It actually comes out dry after cooking, though, and they serve extra sauce on the side. Usually pulled pork served with cracklin and hash over rice (another big SC staple). If you don't know what SC BBQ hash is, probably best not to ask. Think of it as a delicious concoction made from the leftover bits of BBQ. The TX equivalent is beef chop, only it's wetter than chop.

I meant NC bbq. I've had western (Asheville) bbq and eastern (triangle-wilmington) bbq. Not a fan of most of it. It's not terrible. I prefer a good amount of smoke flavor with dry rub and sauce on the side. Most of the meat around here has very little flavor on its own. I don't dislike the vinegar or mustard. I just think the meat should be the star, not the sauce.[DOUBLEPOST=1490204176,1490204039][/DOUBLEPOST]
Where's your shop? I am very rarely in Raleigh, but next time I am, I'll try to stop by.

Good mexican food is hard to find, sadly.
Fight or Flight Comics off of Falls of Neuse Rd. http://fightorflightcomics.com My business partners are there most days, I usually only work Sunday. That said they're very helpful and friendly.

It actually comes out dry after cooking, though,
Huh. Now I want to try it. I went to a BBQ place with all sorts of styles of sauce and I thought the mustard sauce was disgusting. If it's supposed to be dried in while it's cooked though, I could see it working.

So I had this song stuck in my head, and couldn't figure out what it was, but I'd been humming it all night. I couldn't think of the name of it, and I had never learned to play it before. But it was stuck in there really good--like every note crystal clear good.

So I pulled out my whistle, taught myself to play the tune from what was stuck in my head. It only took a minute or two. Then I played it to TunePal on my iPhone (like Shazam or SoundHound, but for traditional tunes), which told me it was Planxty Fanny Power with 90% confidence. So I looked up the sheet music and found that I had about 90% of it exactly right already from what I'd learned from my head.

I love it when a plan comes together. It's days like this that I feel like a real musician or something. Here's a video of a harpist playing the tune.