[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah that seems illegal?

I'm not a finance guy though.
Yeah, the C-Suite is at the "how much illegality can we get away with to keep us in business because we are so very very fucked" stage. That's why I'm not horribly concerned about her losing her job... because I'm pretty sure it'd be gone by June anyway, when they have a whole bunch of debt coming due. (GF is the accountant, so she also sees the writing on the wall, just with a heavy "boy I hope I'm not right about what I'm seeing" sauce)

Trying to sell some things because I need to pay off credit card debt. Had a PS5 headset that I only bought so me and girlfriend at the time could play separate games in the same room.

Originally paid $130 plus tax. Been trying to sell it for the past month or two. First listed it at $100.

This guy lowballs me down to $70. I begrudgingly agree...and then no response.

Today, I lowered the price again, from $80 to $70. They must have received a notification that I lowered the price because nearly a month later, I suddenly hear back from them...with $50.

FUUUUUUCK YOU. You don't just agree to an offer, ghost me, and come back with a lower offer. Asshole.
Screenshot_20240405_181743_Messenger.jpg

Last edited:
Found out today that it's going to be a 7-12 month wait to get a test done for my arm. Rules. Would love to find out what is going on with it. So far all xrays and ultrasounds show nothing particularly out of whack but my fingers are still numb and I can still barely hold anything with my left hand. Very frustrating. The crippled state of healthcare here is so awesome.

What the source text said: "The wind turbines for this offshore wind farm will be located in areas with an ocean depth of 30m or greater."

What the translator wrote: "The wind turbines for this offshore wind farm will be placed underwater at a depth of 30m or greater."

How the reviewer (ie me) reacted: "How do you envision these wind turbines working, exactly?"

What the source text said: "The wind turbines for this offshore wind farm will be located in areas with an ocean depth of 30m or greater."

What the translator wrote: "The wind turbines for this offshore wind farm will be placed underwater at a depth of 30m or greater."

How the reviewer (ie me) reacted: "How do you envision these wind turbines working, exactly?"
Well, turbines underwater definitely can produce power. But probably not entirely the same type :D

Teacher rant time!

Each of my English classes returned their copies of "Romeo and Juliet" to the bookroom today.

I get an email near the end of the day. One of my students, let's call her Jennifer, went crying to the librarian! She received a fine for a water damaged book, but it's not her fault! She was absent back in March on the day that the students all picked up their books (true), and I picked up her copy for her (true). When she got the book it had tons of water damage (nope!) but she just decided to put up with it because, hey, that's what her teacher gave her! She struggled during the unit to read it (nope), but I refused to get her a new book (never said a thing to me). So now the librarian demands to know why I didn't report the water damage when I picked it up, and why I wouldn't let her get a new book. And then she advocates that the admin forgive the student fine (the replacement cost of the book) since it clearly wasn't her fault.

Ready for the punchline? The guy who works in our bookroom brings the book over to the librarian and shows her that it's still fucking wet. It's probably still wet as you, dear reader, are seeing this post.

To be fair, the librarian apologized to me. I did appreciate that. The student, though, will be residing on my shit list for the next month until summer break begins.

Teacher rant time!

Each of my English classes returned their copies of "Romeo and Juliet" to the bookroom today.

I get an email near the end of the day. One of my students, let's call her Jennifer, went crying to the librarian! She received a fine for a water damaged book, but it's not her fault! She was absent back in March on the day that the students all picked up their books (true), and I picked up her copy for her (true). When she got the book it had tons of water damage (nope!) but she just decided to put up with it because, hey, that's what her teacher gave her! She struggled during the unit to read it (nope), but I refused to get her a new book (never said a thing to me). So now the librarian demands to know why I didn't report the water damage when I picked it up, and why I wouldn't let her get a new book. And then she advocates that the admin forgive the student fine (the replacement cost of the book) since it clearly wasn't her fault.

Ready for the punchline? The guy who works in our bookroom brings the book over to the librarian and shows her that it's still fucking wet. It's probably still wet as you, dear reader, are seeing this post.

To be fair, the librarian apologized to me. I did appreciate that. The student, though, will be residing on my shit list for the next month until summer break begins.
This story had so many ups and downs, I almost called it a rollercoaster ride.

But I guess it's more of a flume ride.

Dave

Staff member
I just won 2 containers of Madrinas Boba coffee for National Boba Day. My wife is currently on a keto diet. I do not drink coffee.

My friend had 3 strokes since Thursday and we have no idea if he will pull through. One of the nicest, good natured people I know, engaged to a gal with a pre-teen and they just bought a house together last year. If he was a decent age to expect it, that would be one thing, but he's in his 30's. It's just not fair, like most of life.

I just won 2 containers of Madrinas Boba coffee for National Boba Day. My wife is currently on a keto diet. I do not drink coffee.
A shelter like Nick said wouldn’t be bad, but if you’re on Facebook there’s 100% a buy nothing group for your area. Buy nothing groups are basically the last good thing Facebook has.

Dave

Staff member
My friend had 3 strokes since Thursday and we have no idea if he will pull through. One of the nicest, good natured people I know, engaged to a gal with a pre-teen and they just bought a house together last year. If he was a decent age to expect it, that would be one thing, but he's in his 30's. It's just not fair, like most of life.
This is so not a minor rant. Very sorry to hear this, man. Makes my boba post seem kinda trivial.

Speaking of boba, Madrinas is a coffee company. I don’t know shit about boba or coffee. I made an assumption.