[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I still, apparently, look younger than I am. I've had people openly question me when I tell them I'm been married for 26 years.

Some Dickhead called my office yesterday wanting his VPN reset. He gave me a name I did not recognize, an ID with the wrong format, then told me he worked for MY AGENCY, in the wrong building. -click-

He called back. "We seemed to have been disconnected." "It's because I hung up on you." -click-

He called back again. "I work for you!" "NO, YOU, DON'T." -click-

It was the worst social engineering attempt I have heard so far. It does not help that he had a totally wrong accent. And I personally know everyone in my agency.

This isn't so much a rant as it is whining.
The online dating has not been super successful, but two weeks ago I met a girl who just floored me. we have basically everything you can imagine in common. looking for the same things, same outlook on life, same ideals. all the important stuff. when we met up we found even the small stuff we got in common: same diet, same taste in music ( I sheepishly mentioned i was going to an upcoming Reel big Fish show and she cut me off- "I *LOVE* Reel Big Fish!"- do you know how rare that is to find?!). We got along fantastic, and after only a couple days, honestly I knew her better already than some of my friends I've had since high school.
We went on a few more dates over the two weeks and they all went amazingly.
but, it might be coming to an end already. She actually just got divorced in October, and as great as we are together, she's revealed to me that she's not really doing so well when she's on her own. and she isn't sure if she should be dating at all right now. and I know she's probably right about that. it just sucks, because honestly I don't think I've ever met anyone who has made such an impact on me in just two weeks. I'm pretty f****** bummed out about it, and I hope that after she talks it out with her friend and/or therapist, she comes to the conclusion that dating is healthy for her right now. but I kind of doubt that will happen, because even I don't think it's very healthy for her right now. so I'm torn, because she is just such an incredible lovely person that I don't want it to end and if it does end I can't cut her out of my life. I need a person like her in my life even if it's only as a friend. But I also don't want to be the stray puppy dog hanging on desperately waiting because that's not very healthy for either of us.
So back to the online dating I go, but everyone on here is so f****** boring, or just outright awful.

Last edited:
A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm at a breaking point I think. I have sunk into depression over the last 15 years or so. I don't smile. I don't laugh. I don't enjoy anything and I get angry easily. It's gotten to the point I think where there are two choices. Quit life or quit depression. The first is less attractive because the only thing I like less that just about everything else is giving up. There are times when a deep bout of depression hits and I know at the start that I'm making the conscious choice to slip into it because it's an elixir. I frankly don't care how many other people suffering from depression that pisses off. Though I don't know why it should. It's no different from any other drug addiction, except these barbiturates are intangible. I know the moment of choice is there and I'm at one now. Give up or get on with it. Make the best of situations and stop consciously seeing the worse in everything. This is why depressed people's friends resort to aphorisms. Not because they don't think depression is real but because the wisdom of everyone who has been at that crux and survived it has been distilled into those quips.

The long story short is that I'm out of this depression game. I'm tired of hanging black clouds on everything. I see that there was a point of something like pride to it. It won't be instant but I am going to try.

Cajungal

Staff member
I know what you mean about choosing to slip into that feeling. I've never been clinically depressed, but when I was at my worst a few years back that's what I felt like. Something was hanging over me, and there was a moment when I chose to let the bad feelings wash over me and erase anything good. It's a tough habit to break. On my end, it was hard because feeling like a victim felt safer than putting in the effort to become stronger. If I'm weak, I have an excuse to stand still and not improve my life. I'm weak; it's just how I am.

Best of luck to you. I hope that better days are ahead.

This isn't so much a rant as it is whining.
The online dating has not been super successful, but two weeks ago I met a girl who just floored me. we have basically everything you can imagine in common. looking for the same things, same outlook on life, same ideals. all the important stuff. when we met up we found even the small stuff we got in common: same diet, same taste in music ( I sheepishly mentioned i was going to an upcoming Reel big Fish show and she cut me off- "I *LOVE* Reel Big Fish!"- do you know how rare that is to find?!). We got along fantastic, and after only a couple days, honestly I knew her better already than some of my friends I've had since high school.
We went on a few more dayes over the two weeks and they all went amazingly.
but, it might be coming to an end already. She actually just got divorced in October, and as great as we are together, she's revealed to me that she's not really doing so well when she's on her own. and she isn't sure if she should be dating at all right now. and I know she's probably right about that. it just sucks, because honestly I don't think I've ever met anyone who has made such an impact on me in just two weeks. I'm pretty f****** bummed out about it, and I hope that after she talks it out with her friend and/or therapist, she comes to the conclusion that dating is healthy for her right now. but I kind of doubt that will happen, because even I don't think it's very healthy for her right now. so I'm torn, because she is just such an incredible lovely person that I don't want it to end and if it does end I can't cut her out of my life. I need a person like her in my life even if it's only as a friend. But I also don't want to be the stray puppy dog hanging on desperately waiting because that's not very healthy for either of us.
So back to the online dating I go, but everyone on here is so f****** boring, or just outright awful.
I know this doesn't really help your situation, but I love Turn the Radio Off.
I think your doing the right thing by still seeing what's out there, but it wouldn't be bad to keep in touch with her, even as a friend.

fade

Staff member
Well. I just hit another pothole, which I couldn't even see. With the other front wheel. Now I have two bent wheels. I am thinking about trading in this car. I can see maintenance going up, and now it has two bent wheels, which they probably won't notice when I trade in.

Well. I just hit another pothole, which I couldn't even see. With the other front wheel. Now I have two bent wheels. I am thinking about trading in this car. I can see maintenance going up, and now it has two bent wheels, which they probably won't notice when I trade in.
That sucks man. Are there any other options for wheels for those cars? It sounds like the factory put cheap wheels on it. Is this problem known for Minis?

I'll TL;DR the story for you guys, because I'm seriously not ready to go into details. Long story short, best friend is leaving the country, "girlfriend" is going with him.
Jesus. You are a cooler frood than me making this a minor rant.

GasBandit

Staff member
Shit, that's how I read it, but now I'm reading it as his friend's 'girlfriend'.
It's an important distinction. In my mind it could be read two ways, his girlfriend is leaving the country with his best friend, or his best friend is leaving the country with someone who is purportedly, but not necessarily, the best friend's girlfriend.

I don't want to jump to conclusions.

It's an important distinction. In my mind it could be read two ways, his girlfriend is leaving the country with his best friend, or his best friend is leaving the country with someone who is purportedly, but not necessarily, the best friend's girlfriend.

I don't want to jump to conclusions.
I'm definitely a jumper who wishes he could jump back. Damn this verbal gravity.

Sorry for the confusion, he's not leaving with my girlfriend. I and my girlfriend, however, are good friends with his current/ex-girlfriend who just got dumped in a brutal manner. He's been increasingly erratic. Deciding out of the blue to move to another country with another woman has taken the cake.

So, I am conflicted, and therefore, am going to drink and play Witcher 3 so I don't have to deal with it. Hence the minor rant.

So he out of the blue dumped his girlfriend and is moving out of the country with some other girl. Ok, now it's sorta making sense in a "holy fuck that's some crazy shit" kind of way.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sorry for the confusion, he's not leaving with my girlfriend. I and my girlfriend, however, are good friends with his current/ex-girlfriend who just got dumped in a brutal manner. He's been increasingly erratic. Deciding out of the blue to move to another country with another woman has taken the cake.

So, I am conflicted, and therefore, am going to drink and play Witcher 3 so I don't have to deal with it. Hence the minor rant.
Well, I'm glad YOUR girlfriend is not leaving the country with your best friend, at least.

GasBandit

Staff member
Captain Millenial, who I mentioned previously about having to yell at for not doing his job and not giving a shit about it, didn't do his job again, and it caused a domino chain of shit going all the way up to the general manager, who then started blowing up my phone with SMS messages.

I've yelled at the kid, I've gotten his supervisor involved (who sided with me), I've done everything but threaten to fire him - which I'm pretty sure isn't actually within my authority because he's not my direct subordinate (Oh the joys of being a dotted line boss).

He's left me no choice, I've just informed the General Manager of everything, and that I can't be at all confident that any task given to him will be completed. I've even made it a point to check up on him every day this week at 20 mins before the task in question was scheduled to go out over the air to make sure it got done, and remind him to do it if it wasn't.

I reminded him at 3pm. It failed to air at 3:20. I yelled at him at 3:30. He had gotten caught up in working on something else far less important with a much later deadline. He should have dropped everything at 3 when I reminded him, or at the VERY least have told me that he couldn't get to it (and have a damn good reason why) and ask me to cover for him.

Cajungal

Staff member
We had our own "Captain Millenial" last year. He quit within a month because it was too hard. No notice, just left. We had to come up with a new music teacher quickly and had to contract these conservatory teachers who were a bad fit. All because of his "heart problems" he made up to get sympathy from our principal.

We had our own "Captain Millenial" last year. He quit within a month because it was too hard. No notice, just left. We had to come up with a new music teacher quickly and had to contract these conservatory teachers who were a bad fit. All because of his "heart problems" he made up to get sympathy from our principal.
My mother had a new teacher quit after a single day about 10 years ago. It's not terribly uncommon for people to realize they can't do the job until they are actually in front of the class without a wing man, so this isn't a "millennial" thing.

GasBandit

Staff member
Had to look that up.

--Patrick
For the studio audience, if it's not clear from the urbandictionary link, the phrase is: "Come to Jesus" meeting. It's said with dire, inquisitorial overtones.

This is basically a meeting between a boss and employee that officially tells him to "shape up or ship out," IE, "If you don't stop this immediately, you're gone." It's the last ditch effort to try to get someone you'd rather not have to fire to do right.