[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

My wife lost her job this morning. No explanation given. Basically, it was a "pack up your shit and get out". Funny, that a few months ago she got an exceptional performance review. I am not exaggerating when I say the review could not have been any better. There had been no feedback since. They came to her this morning and gave her the boot.

This is an organization that we've been involved with for a very, very, long time. Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed at them right now.

My wife lost her job this morning. No explanation given. Basically, it was a "pack up your shit and get out". Funny, that a few months ago she got an exceptional performance review. I am not exaggerating when I say the review could not have been any better. There had been no feedback since. They came to her this morning and gave her the boot.

This is an organization that we've been involved with for a very, very, long time. Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed at them right now.
Does she have any recourse? That seems shady.

The valley I live in is filled with smoke from several forest fires. One cannot go outside without the strong stench of a campfire, which smells nice enough but not something I want to breath constantly. I'm trapped here teaching classes for two more weeks but I think my wife and son may go visit my parents for a while.

The valley I live in is filled with smoke from several forest fires. One cannot go outside without the strong stench of a campfire, which smells nice enough but not something I want to breath constantly. I'm trapped here teaching classes for two more weeks but I think my wife and son may go visit my parents for a while.
Alternatively, s'mores forever!

Dave

Staff member
So I was telling someone online about the Anton LaVey thing and they asked for a picture. Now, it's been a long time since I've done this....and the resemblance is gone. Anton being dead and a static picture while I gained 20 years, 40 pounds, and gray hair. I no longer look like Anton LaVey. I think my storytime is over.

Today, I tried to go running downtown at this cool park with this winding pathway that wraps around water.... but there were geese everywhere and they kept hissing at me and I tried to run through them really fast but then they all chased me and I wanted to cry it was so horrible and they're so scary why do they have to be such assholes

So I was telling someone online about the Anton LaVey thing and they asked for a picture. Now, it's been a long time since I've done this....and the resemblance is gone. Anton being dead and a static picture while I gained 20 years, 40 pounds, and gray hair. I no longer look like Anton LaVey. I think my storytime is over.
You do what everyone does online, which is post a picture of yourself from 20 years ago and pretend it's current.

God, it's like you've never catfished anyone.[DOUBLEPOST=1375382991][/DOUBLEPOST]
Today, I tried to go running downtown at this cool park with this winding pathway that wraps around water.... but there were geese everywhere and they kept hissing at me and I tried to run through them really fast but then they all chased me and I wanted to cry it was so horrible and they're so scary why do they have to be such assholes
Maybe it's like an I Am Legend thing, and really, you're the scary one to them.

You do what everyone does online, which is post a picture of yourself from 20 years ago and pretend it's current.

God, it's like you've never catfished anyone.[DOUBLEPOST=1375382991][/DOUBLEPOST]

Maybe it's like an I Am Legend thing, and really, you're the scary one to them.
My most recent picture with my husband:

Does she have any recourse? That seems shady.
It's super shady. They offered her a severance package, but she hasn't signed it yet. We had a good friend who is a very good lawyer look over all the documentation, and as far as he is concerned, it was termination without cause. He says we can take them to court, and we'd likely win, but at what cost? After legal fees we'd probably end up with the same amount they are offering in severance, plus all the added stress (which we don't need at the moment).
She was the admin assistant for a department of about 80, stretching from Vancouver to St. John's (she worked in Toronto) for a major international non-profit, at the national HQ for Canada.
Without going into great detail, the whole thing stinks, and stinks bad. A lot of her former co-workers are very upset that she is gone, because there has been no reason given.

I am a generally quiet guy IRL. I tend to mind my own business when I am out and about town. Well, last night I did the opposite. I was in line at the supermarket deli and this "lady" in front of me kept berating this teenage guy at the counter. She was very condescending and rude. The kid had not said or done anything remotely douchey. She was just being a bitch. I told her to knock it off or go somewhere else if she doesn't like the service here. I said that kid has a shit job and he doesn't need you bitching at him. This didn't go over well. She seemed quite stunned. She must not have a lot of people telling her to dry up. She told me to mind my own business and then asked for the manager and proceeded to give me the stink eye for the remainder of her time there. Of course she was friendly to the manager. Bitch.
The kid thanked me. I told him I worked at McDonalds for years, and people treat you like dirt and it's uncool. I hate that shit.

edit: my grammar sucks - i need an editor.

My 'moment of cool' was when a customer was berating a girl at the counter that was taking his order and doing nothing wrong, at all. I stepped near him and said in a loud enough voice to be heard by all the diners. "You know, you should not fuck with somebody that handles your food."

I am a generally quiet guy IRL. I tend to mind my own business when I am out and about town. Well, last night I did the opposite. I was in line at the deli at the supermarket and this "lady" in front of me kept berating this teenage guy at the counter - very condescending and rude. The kid had not said or done anything remotely douchey. She was just being a bitch. I told her to knock it off or go somewhere else if she doesn't like the service here. I told that kid has a shit job and he doesn't need you bitching at him. This didn't go over well. She seemed quite stunned. Must not have a lot of people telling her to dry up. She told me to mind her own business and then asked for the manager and proceeded to give me the stink eye for the remainder of her time there. Of course she was friendly to the manager. Bitch.
The kid thanked me. I told him I worked at McDonalds for years, and people treat you like dirt and it's uncool. I hate that shit.
Good for you. I still remember the one person who did something similar for me when I worked customer service.[DOUBLEPOST=1375458044][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's super shady. They offered her a severance package, but she hasn't signed it yet. We had a good friend who is a very good lawyer look over all the documentation, and as far as he is concerned, it was termination without cause. He says we can take them to court, and we'd likely win, but at what cost? After legal fees we'd probably end up with the same amount they are offering in severance, plus all the added stress (which we don't need at the moment).
She was the admin assistant for a department of about 80, stretching from Vancouver to St. John's (she worked in Toronto) for a major international non-profit, at the national HQ for Canada.
Without going into great detail, the whole thing stinks, and stinks bad. A lot of her former co-workers are very upset that she is gone, because there has been no reason given.
I'm sorry. That is awful. You're probably right that making it a legal case may be justifiable but the monetary and emotional cost may not be worth it. Taking the severance and running must seem like you're letting the bad guys win, though.

Good for you. I still remember the one person who did something similar for me when I worked customer service.

I promised that I wouldn't talk down to folks in the service industry. I also worked customer service for Directv. I had someone threaten to choke me if he didn't get to watch the Sopranos. :confused:

I promised that I wouldn't talk down to folks in the service industry. I also worked customer service for Directv. I had someone threaten to choke me if he didn't get to watch the Sopranos. :confused:
Oh. The stuff that gets said to customer service people... I stopped by my pub of choice for a pint last night, and this guy was RAGING pissed that the waitress at the bar wouldn't leave the bar to serve his table, and that he had to ask the waitress who was in his section. HOW DARE YOU MAKE SOMEONE ELSE BRING MY GUYS JAGERBOMBS. Meanwhile, she was a machine up at the bar; I don't think I saw her take a breath while I was there, and she was completely composed in light of his agitation. I didn't get involved -it was 'suggested' he go back and have his seat, and wait by a very large employee whose fist was larger than the whiner's head.

Good for you. I still remember the one person who did something similar for me when I worked customer service.[DOUBLEPOST=1375458044][/DOUBLEPOST]

I'm sorry. That is awful. You're probably right that making it a legal case may be justifiable but the monetary and emotional cost may not be worth it. Taking the severance and running must seem like you're letting the bad guys win, though.
It feels exactly like that. The hardest part is that we've been involved with this organization basically our whole lives. And when she went to work for them, she got treated like absolute shit.[DOUBLEPOST=1375470698][/DOUBLEPOST]
Dollars to doughnuts says that her replacement is a good friend/relative of some top nacho in the company...
Well that's pretty well what we think. I didn't want to go into all the details, but that's what it comes down to.

As someone who's worked in custoemr service for about 12 years now, I'm often the guy who will stick up for myself. The customer is not always right and I refused to be treated like the scum of the earth because you're having a bad day.