[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

True story: I dated a girl in high school who told me her parents were police officers. She didn't tell me that her dad worked undercover with biker gangs. When I went to her house the first time, I met her mom, and then a giant, leather-clad, bearded monster with a glass eye walked in, pulled a handgun out, put it on top of the fridge, and then introduced himself.

Fortunately, I was too stupid to be intimidated.

The only thing my parents were super annoying about was that they didn't like me hanging out with just boys (since I was a total geek and thus had more fun hanging out with geeky boys than other girls most of the time). They were worried that if I was the only girl terrible things could happen to me. I don't think my parents really understand geek culture. ;)

Honestly, I'm going to try and avoid being too strict with her in high school, because I've seen just how THAT can backfire...
Just don't take it too far.
"But dad, we've only been dating for a week..."
"I DON'T CARE! HE IS TO GET TO NO LESS THAN 3RD BASE! I AM PROGRESSIVE, DAMN IT!"

-If this is my last post ever, Charon got me. Sorry guys.

fade

Staff member
I feel you @Officer_Charon. I don't talk about it a lot, but my 10 year old has real honest-to-God ADHD. Not the soccer mom can't be bothered with mild behavior issues stuff. You know the difference when you see it. He just cannot control impulses. He doesn't jitter and talk out of turn--that's normal kid behavior. He gets up and walks around in the middle of class (as one of the milder examples), and then when questioned about it, he truly doesn't realize he's even doing it, and even less why he's doing it. We tried everything, avoiding medicine like the plague. When that didn't work, we broke down and tried several kinds. We finally went with a combo of Concerta and Intuiv as a booster. The Concerta alone didn't do much, but the Intuiv was like a godsend. It was like someone picked him up and set him on the right path. We still struggle, and it doesn't help that he has also tested as profoundly gifted (IQ > 99th percentile), and is just plain bored. Long story short, and a bit of unsolicited advice from a very dark place in my life: don't let overdiagnosis by parents who don't want to be parents stop you from medication if your child truly needs it.

I feel you @Officer_Charon. I don't talk about it a lot, but my 10 year old has real honest-to-God ADHD. Not the soccer mom can't be bothered with mild behavior issues stuff. You know the difference when you see it. He just cannot control impulses. He doesn't jitter and talk out of turn--that's normal kid behavior. He gets up and walks around in the middle of class (as one of the milder examples), and then when questioned about it, he truly doesn't realize he's even doing it, and even less why he's doing it. We tried everything, avoiding medicine like the plague. When that didn't work, we broke down and tried several kinds. We finally went with a combo of Concerta and Intuiv as a booster. The Concerta alone didn't do much, but the Intuiv was like a godsend. It was like someone picked him up and set him on the right path. We still struggle, and it doesn't help that he has also tested as profoundly gifted (IQ > 99th percentile), and is just plain bored. Long story short, and a bit of unsolicited advice from a very dark place in my life: don't let overdiagnosis by parents who don't want to be parents stop you from medication if your child truly needs it.
Wow sounds almost like the exact story/path of one of my cousins. Glad things worked out for you guys similarly :)

I SWORE it was recycle week this week, now I feel like a jack ass leaving my cans out there. I swore I saw other people bring there cans out, am I being punked? Is that thing people still do?

The Ritalin had nasty side effects
As someone who used to be on (a low dose of) Ritalin, the wost side effect I can describe (aside from appetite fluctuations) is that being on Ritalin trains your brain to expect a certain level of stimulus. Before Ritalin, you weren't getting it, and so you would do lots of things ("hyperactivity") to bring the level of combined input up to the point where you can really "feel it." When on Ritalin, it's like you have to reach 100 before your brain is happy, but the Ritalin starts you off at 50 instead of 0, so it is easier to reach the point where your brain is "satisfied." However, once the Ritalin is removed, the booster seat gets yanked out, you start off at 0 again, and your body is still so used to being satisfied by adding +50 that it is extremely difficult to figure out what to do to add +100.

Now, later in life, it is extremely difficult to get motivated or excited*, at least to the point where the reaction can sustain itself. This is different from adolescence, when I could get wrapped up in a video game and play it for 36hrs straight until I had solved every nook and cranny, or so into a book that I would finish the entire thing in under 18hrs even though 8hrs of that was my shift at work. I suppose it's a bit like depression, except that a mental activity level measuring "depression" for an ADD/ADHD is more like "normal" for normal folks, since an ADD/ADHD person has to keep more plates spinning to maintain the same level of functionality as the average person. I suppose this would be true for any sort of recovering amphetamine user, no matter the age, but of course the majority of stimulants** are considered Schedule II Controlled Substances, and so are not available to the general public, so it's exceedingly hard to self-medicate.

I'm of two minds, really. There are advantages to not being a Robin Williams*** during daily life, but I miss the ability to multi-task on a dozen things simultaneously.

--Patrick
*Unfortunately, this also includes the fight/flight response, though this does mean a very high resistance to panic.
**Except for Caffeine and Pseudoephedrine, but Pseudoephedrine is tightly regulated, and Caffeine tries hard to get itself excreted, meaning it has a short half-life.
***Though granted, Robin Williams was someone who managed to obtain the means to self-medicate, so not sure if endorsement or condemnation.

As someone who used to be on (a low dose of) Ritalin, the wost side effect I can describe (aside from appetite fluctuations) is that being on Ritalin trains your brain to expect a certain level of stimulus. Before Ritalin, you weren't getting it, and so you would do lots of things ("hyperactivity") to bring the level of combined input up to the point where you can really "feel it." When on Ritalin, it's like you have to reach 100 before your brain is happy, but the Ritalin starts you off at 50 instead of 0, so it is easier to reach the point where your brain is "satisfied." However, once the Ritalin is removed, the booster seat gets yanked out, you start off at 0 again, and your body is still so used to being satisfied by adding +50 that it is extremely difficult to figure out what to do to add +100.

Now, later in life, it is extremely difficult to get motivated or excited*, at least to the point where the reaction can sustain itself. This is different from adolescence, when I could get wrapped up in a video game and play it for 36hrs straight until I had solved every nook and cranny, or so into a book that I would finish the entire thing in under 18hrs even though 8hrs of that was my shift at work. I suppose it's a bit like depression, except that a mental activity level measuring "depression" for an ADD/ADHD is more like "normal" for normal folks, since an ADD/ADHD person has to keep more plates spinning to maintain the same level of functionality as the average person. I suppose this would be true for any sort of recovering amphetamine user, no matter the age, but of course the majority of stimulants** are considered Schedule II Controlled Substances, and so are not available to the general public, so it's exceedingly hard to self-medicate.

I'm of two minds, really. There are advantages to not being a Robin Williams*** during daily life, but I miss the ability to multi-task on a dozen things simultaneously.

--Patrick
*Unfortunately, this also includes the fight/flight response, though this does mean a very high resistance to panic.
**Except for Caffeine and Pseudoephedrine, but Pseudoephedrine is tightly regulated, and Caffeine tries hard to get itself excreted, meaning it has a short half-life.
***Though granted, Robin Williams was someone who managed to obtain the means to self-medicate, so not sure if endorsement or condemnation.
This is fascinating to me for a few reasons. I don't have time to elaborate as I'd like to but your brief note about managing depression and the 0-100 scale for happiness, as well as the struggle for motivation... Highly relatable. This information is possible useful to me, in an analytical way.

Good friend of mine and my whole family's has been in the hospital for a few days. He never wants to be a bother so very few people knew. Silly old man. He should be released today, but it scares me... He's dying of cancer, so any time he has a surprise stay in the hospital, my mind goes to worst. I wish he'd tell more people, dammit! Ah, well. Glad he'll be out shortly.

GasBandit

Staff member
Welp, my company's General manager has apparently agreed to run 30 commercials a week dirt cheap (at like 1/3rd normal price) for a company peddling HCG drops. The FDA says such things are illegal and started cracking down on HCG sellers/advertisers last year (though sellers of HGC seem to pop up as fast as they shut them down).

Surely this can only end well. It never ceases to amaze me how much my company's ownership/upper management is willing to sabotage ourselves in the long term in the name of (very small) short term profit.

My wife was just informed that her facility will no longer require two NPs to see patients, and since she has less seniority, she's relieved of her job at the end of the month.

Nervous breakdown in 5...4...3...2..

It never ceases to amaze me how much my company's ownership/upper management is willing to sabotage ourselves in the long term in the name of (very small) short term profit.
It amazes me how many people live their lives as if they can just start over again with little/no effort, or like they think they can go back to a save point.

--Patrick

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, add XKCD's What If? to the list of RSS feeds that Feedly is screwing up for me. Oh, it has the most recent edition in the feed, but for some reason it thinks that it happened 25 days go (when in reality it was just 4), and never showed it as unread.

Dammit Feedly, you are failing as an RSS reader.

figmentPez

Staff member
Add Real Life Comics to the list of feeds that Feedly isn't updating.

Edit: and Her Universe gets added to the list.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Why is a good RSS reader so damn hard to come by?
Because google did it so thoroughly right that there wasn't a point in anyone else trying, and now that google has arbitrarily decided to discontinue it, there's a void where it used to be and others are having their growing pains trying to figure out how to fill that void.

Really, all the stuff google (and a couple other companies) has done in the last couple years have shown me how right I've been all along to distrust cloud/web based applications. Give me an exe on my hard drive any day, that can't be taken away or "updated" without my say so.

My six-year-old son keeps having his imagination shattered by assholes at his day care. Every time I introduce him to something he really likes (Star Wars, Avatar, TMNT, super heroes), he comes home distraught the following week because his friends tell him it's stupid make believe stuff that only babies would like.

Cajungal

Staff member
My six-year-old son keeps having his imagination shattered by assholes at his day care. Every time I introduce him to something he really likes (Star Wars, Avatar, TMNT, super heroes), he comes home distraught the following week because his friends tell him it's stupid make believe stuff that only babies would like.
I love kids... until they fuck with my niece. Then they suck. I know it must be different for a parent, but ever since my godchild started going to school, I just feel like other stupid people's kids are ruining her. I know it's important to socialize, but God, little girls... :(

He knows they all have some sort of secret shame, right?

Right?

--Patrick

Don't pull "manager said I could," if you don't want me checking with him. Especially at 1 in the morning when you're not supposed to be here in the first place. There's a reason I've been here three years and people like you barely last three weeks.