[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Yeah, no, look. If your boss tells you"the enxt one to speak gets fired", and you speak up, and you get fired, you're going to say your boss was wrong?
A couple of kids are fighting in the playground. Teacher pulls them apart, tells both to stop it; they continue. Teacher pulls them apart again, tells them the next one to misbehave gets to write lines. Your reaction? Sticking out your tongue to the teacher. Well, then you can do the lines, too.

Guess what. Being told by a person in authority "stop it now or else", going on to troll, and then disagreeing when what you were warned about happens? That's just your own stupidity. I admit NR was in a bad mood and might not've gone as far had he been in a bad mood - but that doesn't mean it's suddenly OK. If he'd been playing around, he wouldn't've used the big red text. If you really couldn't get out of that conversation that he was pissed and you were about -> || <- this far from a ban...well, learn to read.

North_Ranger

Staff member
He banned me because he doesn't like me, and that's bullshit.
If you wished to know why you were banned, you could have talked to me in PM. And I would have answered you.

But it would seem that you do not wish for rational conversation and moving on with having fun in the forums. You will rather try and stir up trouble. When everyone else has moved on, you come in with your personal tale of woe. Of course you will edit your piece to leave out the parts that do not suit you. The PMs actually defending you in the original topic. Your posts stirring up a fight when the matter was almost settled. The e-mails explaining in clear, rational terms why you were banned. They don't make a good story, so you leave them out. All so that everyone will feel sorry for you for getting banned by the big bad mods.

And you say I'm the clown?

If you wished to know why you were banned, you could have talked to me in PM. And I would have answered you.

But it would seem that you do not wish for rational conversation and moving on with having fun in the forums. You will rather try and stir up trouble. When everyone else has moved on, you come in with your personal tale of woe. Of course you will edit your piece to leave out the parts that do not suit you. The PMs actually defending you in the original topic. Your posts stirring up a fight when the matter was almost settled. The e-mails explaining in clear, rational terms why you were banned. They don't make a good story, so you leave them out. All so that everyone will feel sorry for you for getting banned by the big bad mods.

And you say I'm the clown?

I left out most of the PM because it was about Null, and it really had nothing to do with the context of why you banned me. Furthermore, nothing was edited. I just copy/pasted the PM onto here. Once again, you're the hero Halforums deserves.

<incoming> pictures of hammers and larger font, red text. I'm shakin' now!

you're the hero Halforums deserves.
Look, even if you're angry and annoyed and completely convinced you're in the right - either you honestly can't see this is STUPID, in which case, good luck next time a cop pulls you over for speeding; or you DO know it, and you're deliberately insulting a moderator, which is against the rules.

Oh, let's be honest here: you're deliberately insulting and heckling a moderator to goad him into banning you, so that you can keep going on about his "mad power trip" or whatever. You're breaking the rules. You're delivering personal isults. You're tackling the man instead of the ball. I'm approximately 99.6% (margin of error: 0.4%) sure you'll be banned again before the day is out.
What's the point? Size of you e-balls? Being vindicated and being able to yell "Ha! See? He banned me again! Power-hungry I tell you!"? Either you like it here and want to talk and have fun, and you should lay off the intentionally harassing people, or you don't like it here and should just leave. Liking it here but not wanting to be accountable for anything you do, and thinking you're above the rules because you're you? That just means you're self-aggrandizing, entitled, self-centered jerk and a bully.

Look, even if you're angry and annoyed and completely convinced you're in the right - either you honestly can't see this is STUPID, in which case, good luck next time a cop pulls you over for speeding; or you DO know it, and you're deliberately insulting a moderator, which is against the rules.

Oh, let's be honest here: you're deliberately insulting and heckling a moderator to goad him into banning you, so that you can keep going on about his "mad power trip" or whatever. You're breaking the rules. You're delivering personal isults. You're tackling the man instead of the ball. I'm approximately 99.6% (margin of error: 0.4%) sure you'll be banned again before the day is out.
What's the point? Size of you e-balls? Being vindicated and being able to yell "Ha! See? He banned me again! Power-hungry I tell you!"? Either you like it here and want to talk and have fun, and you should lay off the intentionally harassing people, or you don't like it here and should just leave. Liking it here but not wanting to be accountable for anything you do, and thinking you're above the rules because you're you? That just means you're self-aggrandizing, entitled, self-centered jerk and a bully.

An apology would be nice. Along the lines of "Sorry, bro, I was frustrated that day and I banned you for little reason. I was being a douchebag, my bad."

Really?
You're going there?

Ouch.

I mean, fuck man. Someone disagrees with you and you go for the fucking throat don't you?
A delicious, maple syrup covered throat.

And letting shit like this go is exactly how people get bullied. So, no. I won't stop until NR acknowledges that what he did was in the wrong.

A delicious, maple syrup covered throat.
I'm so tempted to go a few rounds with you.

However, I like this forum. I like the people here. I don't want them to think less of me for being baited by you.

You're just an verbally impotent guy on the internet, after all.

Me? I fuckin' rock.

An apology would be nice. Along the lines of "Sorry, bro, I was frustrated that day and I banned you for little reason. I was being a douchebag, my bad."
And the best way of getting someone to apologize is by antagonizing and verbally attacking them. Right-oh. Here I was thinking "talking about it like adults" or "being the bigger man" were better ways of dealing with such things. Heck, perhaps acknowledging, from your side, that you stepped over the line would help him in admitting he was a bit quick on the trigger.

A: troll
B: warns
A: trolls some more
B: bans
A: trolls
... Guess what happens?

vs

A: troll
B: warns
A: trolls some more
B: bans
A: is adult and non-confrontational
B: replies in kind

I'm not saying he was right or wrong in banning you for a week. I admit, if I was mod I'd probably have banned you for a day or so instead of a week - but I *would* have banned you. He warned you, you crossed the line - he has to ban you or his threats carry no more weight. Had he been in a super duper happy mood, maybe he'd have been more lenient - but that's not your call to make. It's not bullying if it's rules enforcement with ways of appeal...Such as PMing Dave and/or asking for a discussion over it on the mod board.

Cajungal

Staff member
Bubs(and everyone who wants to take a crack at arguing this), may I ask that we remove this conversation from this thread? I know it's a rant thread, but I don't want it to turn into one person's soapbox.

Dave

Staff member
Good morning! I'm now here and I have something to say.

To NR: You let Mathias get to you way too easily sometimes. I do not believe this was one of those times. We had the situation diffused sufficiently and Mathias came in guns ablazing and escalated it again with smart-ass comments and trolling. I thought it was initially a 24 hour ban moved to a week when Mathias posted as a guest but it turns out that it started as a week and NR did not make it a month when the ban was circumvented - not exactly the action of someone who was flying off the handle with a power trip.

To Mathias: How can someone so smart be so fucking stupid? You can claim ignorance all you want, but you knew exactly what you were doing and what was going to happen. Does NR take his position seriously? You damned right. I'd expect nothing less. I've always said this is not my board but all of ours. The only problem with that is it gives some people the idea that they can act in any damn fool way they want to and can hide behind the monikers of "joking" or "I had a bad day". If this were an isolated incident I'd be more willing to let it slide but it's been something that is systemic with you and the fact that you then ask for an apology from someone for doing their job is laughable.

To everyone: Mathias posted the PM that we had been having. Great. Wonder why he didn't post the very next post in the PM?

My note to Mathias after he sent me an email:

Geez. I go to the store for a few hours and what the hell...

Here's my thoughts:
  • The whole thing had been diffused. Null was being oversensitive and I slapped him down. I added you to that thread only because you were being discussed and I thought that you had a right to know.
  • Why in God's name did you keep poking at NR? Had you done that to me I'd have done the exact same thing no matter who you were. You knew exactly what you were doing and although you think NR was being a douche, you were out-douching him.
  • When you went in as a guest and posted that was a clear violation. The rule is neither new nor vague.
  • I'll look into the PM thing. But I think it's blocked because it won't allow you to send any. That's to prevent someone being banned and then coming in and causing havoc.
You saw we were blaming Null for this, right? Could you not tell by the tone of the IMs that we were all sick of the petty shit between the two of you - regardless of who started what? All you had to do was either not say anything or thank us for keeping a level head about the whole thing. Instead you kept picking at it.

Bottom line...I'll check the PM thing but I'll see you on the 30th, my friend.
So here it is. Here is my thought. Mathias, you are not banned. I'm giving you the chance to make it right. You have 2 choices:

1. Apologize to NR and the community - especially those like LittleSin. You have this way of taking the slightest thing and going from 0 to asshole in 0.3 seconds. There's no middle ground with you.
  2. Permaban
I'm sick of it. I'm sick of standing up for you and being constantly disappointed. I like you, Mathias. I really do. I think you're a good dude, a great husband and father and whip-smart. But when it comes to a forum you are less than spectacular. You're a really, really smart person and it kills me to see you acting like this sometimes. My message to Null stands:
Why can't you put him on ignore? Why would that be so hard? And you're not the problem - well, not completely. Yes, he has a history - but that doesn't mean he's a bad guy. Have you noticed that there are a number of people who traet him differently? You know why that is? Because we've been on vent with him. We've been in co-op or pvp games with him. We know him as more than just "Chaz". Maybe his humor isn't to your taste and that's fine, but not everything he posts is the rantings of a raving asshole. He jokes a lot. And his humor can be a bit abrasive. But no more so than anyone else's can be at times. Most of the time people can pick up when someone is messing around or when someone is being an asshole. I think you lack the gene of "recognizing Mathias's humor". But here's the thing. Have you ever once asked him what he meant by something? Have you ever looked at a post of his - or anyone (and that goes for a lot of us not just you) - and thought, "Well, THAT was kinda mean!" and then proceeded to say, "I took that as being pretty mean. Did you really mean it that way?"

It's weird to me sometimes how misunderstanding breeds incivility and it goes into some kind of perpetual shit spiral.
You can just read how much I do respect you as a person. As a poster? Not so much.

So state your case. Make us understand why we should keep you around. Everyone can now weigh in.

Dave

Staff member
When you ban someone they can't get to the boards at all. There's nothing I can do about it. When they are banned they can't read posts, they can get to their PMs, they can't do shit. So I'm giving Mathias a chance to apologize and explain.

S

SeraRelm

It was more directed to all the shit before your post, you sneaked in ahead of me while I was reading it all.

From the Wikipedia article on Tit for Tat:
This strategy is dependent on four conditions, which have allowed it to become the most successful strategy for the iterated prisoner's dilemma:[1]
  1. Unless provoked, the agent will always cooperate
  2. If provoked, the agent will retaliate
  3. The agent is quick to forgive
  4. The agent must have a good chance of competing against the opponent more than once.
Mathias, you seem to be stuck on step 2. Perhaps it is time to move on to step 3.
But don't take my word for it. Some other very smart people have some words for you, too.
http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab-blogland/2010/dec/14/prisoners-dilemma/

TL;DR: In Life, learn to forgive, or else be eliminated.

--Patrick

M

makare

I can't wait for my step-dad's sister to leave. She is a really annoying house guest. On the upside next week my cousin Taylor is visiting. Now she is someone I like having stay over.

I can't wait for my step-dad's sister to leave. She is a really annoying house guest.
I've only ever had one annoying house guest. It was a friend of mine that had moved away some ten years before hand but we kept (and still do) keep in close, nearly daily, contact. So I invited him to my wedding.

Holy shit. The stuff this guy was doing...it just disgusted me. Microwaving stuff with out using a plate and not cleaning up after himself, shaving and leaving his hairs all over the place, etc. He wouldn't eat any of my home cooking....but he would drink 3 2liters of pop a day...pop we would buy and ask us in a passive agreesive way to take him to get 'good food'.

I was glad when he left. I think we're better long distance friends.

fade

Staff member
When I did an internship in grad school, I rented a room in a townhouse from some lady who did it for the interns every year. She was the opposite. She obsessed over things. She said I left a mess in the microwave once, which she saved to show me. I really needed to look hard to see the one or two specks of tomato sauce in the microwave. That was typical.

When I did an internship in grad school, I rented a room in a townhouse from some lady who did it for the interns every year. She was the opposite. She obsessed over things. She said I left a mess in the microwave once, which she saved to show me. I really needed to look hard to see the one or two specks of tomato sauce in the microwave. That was typical.
Ah, I see you've met my mother.

M

makare

Probably became that way over time. This chick who is staying with us leaves little messes everywhere she goes and no problem with eating our food. She eats a lot. Which is ok just surprising. Like the other night we had a big steak dinner and then cake and ice cream for dessert (it was my mom's birthday) at 6. By the time she went to bed at 9:30 she had seconds and thirds of cake and ice cream. It made my stomach hurt to think about it. That isn't really a complaint about her I mean I don't care what she eats I am just amazed by it.