[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I feel like I'm early 20's, myself.
My wife's theory is that you will always be the person you were when you graduated high school, just older.

--Patrick
I feel like a far, far different person than I was while in highschool, or for that matter, even ten years ago. Maybe this only applies to people without mental illness.

I dunno, I feel like mentally, I'm who I was when I graduated college. I see my body and the world around me changing, but I'm wondering when I truly going to feel like a grownup, and not just "fake it 'til you make it".

I feel like a far, far different person than I was while in highschool, or for that matter, even ten years ago. Maybe this only applies to people without mental illness.
I feel like I'm the same person I was in ... college, I guess? But I also feel like I have gained a lot more understanding about who that person really is in the the time since.

--Patrick

Ever been in a meeting where two people suddenly get into an argument about something that only they know about, and it sort of just hijacks the meeting and everyone else has to wait for the two of them to finish yelling at each other, while barely understanding the topic of what they're arguing about in the first place?

Ever been in a meeting where two people suddenly get into an argument about something that only they know about, and it sort of just hijacks the meeting and everyone else has to wait for the two of them to finish yelling at each other, while barely understanding the topic of what they're arguing about in the first place?
Or the inverse, where two people are arguing about something apparently neither of them knows about, and everyone else has to listen to them because they're management?

Yes that's called "meetosis" and is usually just splits the meeting into two smaller meetings.

--Patrick

Yes that's called "meetosis" and is usually just splits the meeting into two smaller meetings.

--Patrick
We couldn't do that because one of the arguers was ostensibly supposed to be chairing the meeting. So all we could do was look around awkwardly while they spent ten minutes debating the definition of something or another and whether it falls under the purview of the TM department or the TB department.

Brother's dumb, covid denying girlfriend has also jumped on 15-minutes cities as the next thing she's gonna champion and rally against.
Made the mistake of pointing out how through a manufacturing issue, a lot of the LED street lights they have installed are going to turn purple/blue which spiraled into a "You know those cones on the top of the street lights? They were never there before and don't do anything. They've only been added now so they can be removed later and they can put in scanners and cameras in their place to force you to stay in your zone."

Didn't get into how I know I remember them from at least 30 years ago, there is photographic evidence of them from long before that and how they DO serve a purpose as the photocell sensors that tell them when it's dark enough so they turn on. It's just not worth it.

1686762144934.png

Mentioned it to my brother later, who is an electrician, and he said "Oh did she get on that stupid shit again? I've already told her what the things are for."

Last edited:
Wow. For him to put up with that dumbshittery repeatedly... I can only imagine she must have some serious proficiencies in other areas.
Must be cause they constantly bicker about everything, especially cause she's the type that always needs to be right and rarely if ever is.

She pissed me off while I was there too about something innocuous. Something about the release date of a song, I said one thing, she said another and long after we'd dropped it I was curious and googled it without intending to bring it up either way, I just like to know the right answer so in the future I don't continue to spout off something that isn't true. You know like someone that actively learns?

Anyway she "caught" that I was doing that and whipped out a "Oh yeah he's googling it now. Those Nidoff's always have to be right.":facepalm:

Just parroted the oft-used by her "Just doing my own research." and left it there again cause I don't have the energy to be in constant arguments and it's easier to just drop it.

I remember them from at least 40 years ago.

--Patrick
I'm only 35 and haven't finished my time machine yet so 30 years back is about my limit for now.

I'm only 35 and haven't finished my time machine yet so 30 years back is about my limit for now.
Hmph. Slacker. If you were doing it properly your future self would have given you a copy of the time machine to use until you have finished your own one.

As noted in the Random Crap thread, school is out today, and the thing I most looked forward to was not having to set an alarm tomorrow for the first time in aaaaaaaages. But then Li'l Z's All Star coach decides that since it was raining today, he's going to schedule a 3-hour practice tomorrow starting at 8 am. ArgleblargleafdfdsnjgdfkangkrejwhwdSGjfgjn!!!!

...I miss sleep.

I've been making it a point to go to bed earlier lately. Sometimes as early as 9:30p!
...it's still not enough to make up for the days where I'm having to get up at 5:30a.

--Patrick
I go to bed at midnight and get up at 5am every day, maybe I've just long since forgotten what sleep is

My sleep app says my sleep is "about the same" as last year, going from an average of 5:58/night to 6:03/night.
...progress?

--Patrick
pat and me, the low sleep club for a multitude of the same reasons and some different -_-. slept from 2 am to 6 am, and now here I sit working on stuff.

Really frustrating bike ride into work today. One, there were there several spots on my route under construction, which was confusing and frustrating.

Two, I saw two drivers turn without signaling. And one asshlole blatantly speed up to blast through a red light.

With the construction, in both instances, there were no clear markers for an alternative route. In both cases, one of the workers had to point it out to me when I tried to find my own path.

Really frustrating bike ride into work today. One, there were there several spots on my route under construction, which was confusing and frustrating.

Two, I saw two drivers turn without signaling. And one asshlole blatantly speed up to blast through a red light.

With the construction, in both instances, there were no clear markers for an alternative route. In both cases, one of the workers had to point it out to me when I tried to find my own path.
That sounds really frustrating. I hope it resolves itself soon.

As you might imagine, I can empathize. On my last long ride, I ran into a stretch of at least 3 miles where one of the more bike friendly cities was retrofitting the sidewalk into a proper multi-use path, but they blocked the bike lane that already exists with the construction! Fortunately, I was able to use the sidewalk on the other side of the road to muddle through. It's a hazard of doing a big loop with the return leg on the barrier islands. If I run into a traffic issue, there are stretches where I have no practical alternate route.

To say this is causing an absolute shit show at work would be an understatement. A LOT of customers are talking about canceling or switching providers. The queue for customer service has blown up. The average wait times to reach a lowly agent like me is over an hour. People are PISSED and I don't blame them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first nail in the coffin for the company.

I firmly believe this is a result of Rogers buying Shaw. Shaw owns Corus, who own these channels being removed.

View attachment 45203
The calls have been getting progressively worse since I posted this. Customers are leaving in droves. Our queue has exploded to the point that the wait time to speak with a lowly agent like me is over TWO HOURS.

I've had so many people screaming at me over this. Over TV channels. Fucking TV channels.

God, I hate this job. But I have literally no other possible employment options. I'm trapped here for the rest of my pathetic life or if the company shuts down, whichever comes first.

Friday afternoon, my wife got disoriented and wobbly, felt like she was drunk and couldn't hear anymore at work; she heard a loud PLOP in the back of her head. Went to pick her up, dropped her off at the GP.
After work I got to bring her to Emergency, and after some more tests she was admitted to the hospital for observation. It's now Monday afternoon and while most of her symptoms are gone, walking for a few hundred meters is still enough to make her lose balance.
MRI, CT, ear consult, heart rhythm, heart echo, so far everything seems to be OK. EEG and EKG planned for tomorrow. :-(

Friday afternoon, my wife got disoriented and wobbly, felt like she was drunk and couldn't hear anymore at work; she heard a loud PLOP in the back of her head. Went to pick her up, dropped her off at the GP.
After work I got to bring her to Emergency, and after some more tests she was admitted to the hospital for observation. It's now Monday afternoon and while most of her symptoms are gone, walking for a few hundred meters is still enough to make her lose balance.
MRI, CT, ear consult, heart rhythm, heart echo, so far everything seems to be OK. EEG and EKG planned for tomorrow. :-(
Hoping for a good outcome. Take care Bubbles!

Well, the MRI results are in and out was a minor stroke. Now for the fun bit of finding out why - heart issues, clotting issues, congenital issues, whatever... Having a stroke at 37 isn't really that normal
Not trying to be a downer, but this is an issue I've been working through since March. I still don't have an answer to why. They're fairly sure that it was a small clot, but nothing has been conclusive to the cause of my stroke, but they did label it as a "major" stroke. I'm pretty much fully functional, but still learning things that I shouldn't do because it sets things off kilter. For instance, I should not lean over and shake my head from side to side while playing with our dog, it sets off immediate dizziness that will last until I get back to an upright position. I fully believe it can all be overcome, but almost 4 months later I'm still learning things about this.

Could it be possible in both cases these are post-Covid related? It has been reported that clots, brain issues such as dizziness, etc. have been associated with those who have recovered from Covid-19. I'm far from an expert, but with no prior history for either of you, it could be a possibility.

Hasn’t been mentioned at all in my case. My stroke didn’t include the “classic” symptoms such as slurred speech, weakness to one side, or loss of coordination. The worst ongoing problem I’ve had (other than balance) is that the saline solution they used on me was a high sodium solution, like 5% when the normal is .9%, and it appears to have done some nerve damage to my left hand so that I have an occasional feeling of “dead hand” even though I can feel everything with it. It’s like after the tingly phase of cut off circulation, but before you can really use it yet.

My stepson's wife had a stroke and passed away earlier this year, at like 27. They couldn't figure out why she had such a massive stroke so young. But she also had covid like 4 times. I feel there's some correlation--studies are pointing at covid as increasing stroke risk.