[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Ah, it’s that time of year again!

I got an angry parent email because their kid didn’t turn in a major project, but they are now “disappointed and upset” at the bad grade they got.

Why didn’t you send a reminder? Oh, you did send TWO reminders and spoke to them in class about it? You must not have been clear enough when you said “Turn it in no later than Friday” last week! I now demand that you allow my kid to redo the entire assignment with no penalty! If I write enough angry emails and name drop the principal, you’ll give me what I want!

(Spoiler alert: no I won’t)

Last edited:
So I'm watching my wife walk up the stairs and the cat decides to attack me since I'm distracted. But not at the feet or ankles but with a running pounce on my hand that is holding the railing. Stupid cat.

So I'm watching my wife walk up the stairs and the cat decides to attack me since I'm distracted. But not at the feet or ankles but with a running pounce on my hand that is holding the railing. Stupid cat.
So what I'm hearing is the cat made an attack of opportunity on an unaware opponent and instead of targeting feet or ankles which are potentially protected by socks or shoes, it went for the unarmoured vulnerable hand.

That's not a stupid cat, that's a smart sneaky cat.

Ah, it’s that time of year again!

I got an angry parent email because their kid didn’t turn in a major project, but they are now “disappointed and upset” at the bad grade they got.

Why didn’t you send a reminder? Oh, you did send TWO reminders and spoke to them in class about it? You must not have been clear enough when you said “Turn it in no later than Friday” last week! I now demand that you allow my kid to redo the entire assignment with no penalty! If I write enough angry emails and name drop the principal, you’ll give me what I want!

(Spoiler alert: no I won’t)
At the university level, we just refer irate pirates to the dean. Then we hear crickets.

So what I'm hearing is the cat made an attack of opportunity on an unaware opponent and instead of targeting feet or ankles which are potentially protected by socks or shoes, it went for the unarmoured vulnerable hand.

That's not a stupid cat, that's a smart sneaky cat.
Butterball is many things, but smart isn’t one of them :)

To say this is causing an absolute shit show at work would be an understatement. A LOT of customers are talking about canceling or switching providers. The queue for customer service has blown up. The average wait times to reach a lowly agent like me is over an hour. People are PISSED and I don't blame them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first nail in the coffin for the company.

I firmly believe this is a result of Rogers buying Shaw. Shaw owns Corus, who own these channels being removed.

FB_IMG_1685067306041.jpg

GasBandit

Staff member
It would not surprise me that the fuss is over the various CN/Disney flavors.

"What am I supposed to do with my kids?! TALK to them??!"

figmentPez

Staff member
To say this is causing an absolute shit show at work would be an understatement. A LOT of customers are talking about canceling or switching providers. The queue for customer service has blown up. The average wait times to reach a lowly agent like me is over an hour. People are PISSED and I don't blame them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first nail in the coffin for the company.

I firmly believe this is a result of Rogers buying Shaw. Shaw owns Corus, who own these channels being removed.

View attachment 45203
Rated TPRun because that is a lot of shit hitting the fan.

It would not surprise me that the fuss is over the various CN/Disney flavors.

"What am I supposed to do with my kids?! TALK to them??!"

So far, it's more people upset about losing History, HGTV, etc. Lot of seniors upset they can't watch Days of Our Lives on whichever channel.

Of course, we've been told to pivot the conversation to streaming, but good fucking luck getting the average senior to understand streaming, let alone want to try new technology.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more concerned I'm getting about my job security. This is going to hit the company HARD. And if I get laid off, I have literally no other prospects out there for me. I don't have any valuable skills for anything better than minimum wage crap jobs or another call center. I've felt stuck here for years and pretty much accepted that this is just my pathetic life now, but if I suddenly get laid off? I have nothing.

View attachment 45203
If you took YTV away from 10 year old me, there would have been fucking war.

So my company has an English website. I've mentioned before that my company has a Taipei branch and a Shanghai branch. A few years ago, I was given the task of translating/writing an updated English version of our website based on our latest Chinese version. The English site basically said something like "The Shanghai branch was founded in 2002 to facilitate communications for clients throughout the Greater China region" on the "About Us" page.

Well apparently saying "Greater China region" triggered someone over on the other side of the Taiwan Strait, because despite this text having been on our website for several years already, recently our Shanghai branch was visited by some police officers who said they have some concerns about some of the things written on our website, so they're gonna be watching the company carefully now, and it would be prudent to maybe rephrase some of the more controversial stuff we put out there in the world, it would be a darn shame if the authorities have to come back again, if y'know what I mean...

So they asked me to replace "Greater China region" with "China" and hopefully that'll be the end of it.

For literally all first time in my several years as a gig worker, I saw a chef snap at a driver for basically nothing. "I'm so sick of you drivers asking every day where your order is!" One, it's been 20 plus minutes,two if you don't want us in your kitchen...why does the restaurant tell us to pick up orders here.

Didn't get a chance to say that to him as he was going "Full Ramsey" but still(and yes I know angry Ramsey is a persona, wish this chef's anger was.

Today is Gaby's birthday. She is now 13 years old, and for the first time, I forgot to take the picture of our hands.
Man we’ve been here a long time. You’ve got a teenager now and @Dave is just older. Heck, we’re all getting up there compared to where we started.

TIL Patrick graduated high school in his early 20s.

NOT THAT THERE'S ANY SHAME IN THAT, to be clear.
I actually debated adding a line saying, "BTW I am not saying I graduated in my 20's" but figured I didn't need to.
I pledge to be more accommodating in the future.

--Patrick