[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Ugh what a crappy day at work today. It seemed like everything that could go wrong managed to go wrong. Every little task that should have been quick and easy ended up taking forever. I only managed to finish 3 of the 5 tasks I had planned to finish today. Now I have even more work to get done tomorrow and tomorrow was already shaping up to be a busy day without today's leftover work.

Conversation with coworker:

Me: I'm a vegetarian.
Him: Do you eat fish?
Me: *blank stare*. Um...no.
Him: Well, it's just that I don't really consider a fish an animal.
Me: *blanker stare, couples with complete inability to even respond to such a statement*

So yeah...that just happened.

It's not that fish aren't animals; I believe the no-meat-on-Fridays stems from the idea that meat (beef, pork, etc) was a luxury, so it was/is a way of abstaining or fasting and having something simpler.

My Aunt is Vegetarian but she still eats fish. Actually...most vegetarians I know are like that.

If they go beyond that I call them vegans.

fade

Staff member
See this is one of those cases where I need a "I know, I know, I don't really believe X, I'm just making a joke" smileys, apparently.

Cajungal

Staff member
Goddamnit! I just received a behavior plan from the school therapist... and it's bullshit. I mean, bullshit. It gives us all the damn work and puts nothing on him. It's going to condition him to only behave in very specific situations. He's so literal that he's going to find loopholes in it and feign ignorance when he steps over the line. I know how to handle that behavior, but this plan just sets that up for him. Jesus, this is a terrible idea, and I WARNED her. She didn't observe enough before writing this up. Just you wait... this will be a lot of work (by ME, not him) all for freaking nothing. Goddamnit.

I feel like I'm slowly getting worn down, mentally. Between stupid shit at work, stupid internet arguments, and even stupider work hours, I haven't had much time to just do things that are fun. To make matters worse, it contributes to me being set off at the most minor of things my son does at home, which I instantly feel terrible about.

Sometimes I just feel the need to vent, and need cheering up. I want to be the rock for everyone else, but damn it, sometimes I need to be entertained and comforted too!

Goddamnit! I just received a behavior plan from the school therapist... and it's bullshit. I mean, bullshit. It gives us all the damn work and puts nothing on him. It's going to condition him to only behave in very specific situations. He's so literal that he's going to find loopholes in it and feign ignorance when he steps over the line. I know how to handle that behavior, but this plan just sets that up for him. Jesus, this is a terrible idea, and I WARNED her. She didn't observe enough before writing this up. Just you wait... this will be a lot of work (by ME, not him) all for freaking nothing. Goddamnit.
Show that you don't respect him by pronouncing "therapist" as "the rapist" whenever you talk to or about him :zoid:

fade

Staff member
So I've been promoted to Chief Developer/Product Manager of one of the core in-house codes we use at work. I am coming from a user position to the dev position. This code is hated amongst the users. When it works, it works well, but you have to babysit everything. All us users have our own versions of the code, because we've had to fix or change something. I personally don't think the science behind the code is the best either. It's a mess of F77, F90, F95, F2003, Python, and C. Why? That seems so overly complicated. The Fortran 2003 stuff seems to serve no purpose other than to make the code uncompilable with gfortran.

So, since the guy I'm replacing went to a competitor, he was kicked out of the building when he quit (to his great surprise). I've been named the new guy, but ... they really haven't told me what to do. They brought back in the old guy for a one-day sit down, but I really don't know what to ask at this point. I saw his timeline for completion, and it is odd. He had 45 days slated for something that I think could be done in 2 at most, and I showed him how on the whiteboard. They want to spend forever parallelizing, which, let's be honest, ain't that hard for a sequential process like this one.

I feel like I'm slowly getting worn down, mentally. Between stupid shit at work, stupid internet arguments, and even stupider work hours, I haven't had much time to just do things that are fun. To make matters worse, it contributes to me being set off at the most minor of things my son does at home, which I instantly feel terrible about.

Sometimes I just feel the need to vent, and need cheering up. I want to be the rock for everyone else, but damn it, sometimes I need to be entertained and comforted too!
You can cut out that middle problem very easily.

M

makare

Ok so I was stopped behind this jackass at a red light then the light turns green and while every person, and a portion of the canine population, know that is when you are supposed to go this guy apparently didn't. He just sat there. I was like wtf GOO. So finally he does and he speeds way up so he makes it through the next light before it turns red, but all the rest of us who had to wait for this guy at the green light get stuck at the red light.

There is no traffic light justice.

Ok second rant-

I went to the grocery store to see if they sell turkey necks separate from whole turkeys and they don't :( A store in my home town does and it is awesome. I am going to be alone for thanksgiving and I wanted to make myself some turkey. Even if I weren't by myself the only part of the turkey I really like is the neck so I wouldn't make a whole one.

Sigh.

GasBandit

Staff member
There's a "make grilled cheese in your toaster" fad sweeping the internet these days. I took one look at it and said, "that's a great way to start a fire."

Mmm, steak and cheese. (Not a philly steak and cheese, but still tasty). Yeah, I like doing that when I've got some leftover strips of london broil.

M

makare

what the I am at a loss here. For my trial tech final we are having an actual mock trial. Our opposing counsel told us they are not calling one of their two major witnesses. wtf why would they do that? what kind of strategy is that?! Part of me is thinking these two are idiots but the other part of me knows they are not and I have to wonder am I being an idiot? what IS there strategy?

gah!

It could be that in reviewing statements, they found inconsistencies in the witness' story; having that on the stand and having it brought out during cross-examination could torpedo their case.

Well, that's what TV lawyer dramas say, anyway.

M

makare

All I know is when I was preparing defense, their side, the witness they are cutting out was the linchpin in my case. That is why I can't figure out what they are thinking.

M

makare

No she doesn't help me she helps them. In fact I am pretty damn happy that they aren't calling that witness.

All I know is when I was preparing defense, their side, the witness they are cutting out was the linchpin in my case. That is why I can't figure out what they are thinking.
No she doesn't help me she helps them. In fact I am pretty damn happy that they aren't calling that witness.
I think Steinman was confused because a linchpin holds things together, so your first statement would be interpreted as this witness was holding your case together.

Yeah, but she meant "when I was preparing this case from the defense perspective - which is what they are doing now - the witness was the linchpin in the defense's case."