[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

My wife and son moved to Kentucky (I'm following next weekend) and our friend down there does maintenance for our landlord - our friend went into a place today that the former tenants left to check on what was going to need to be fixed before it could be rented again and found a white cat that they had left behind with no food, water, and it's been in the 90's there ("realfeel")... Apparently she's very friendly - came right up to my wife and has been scarfing down food and water like nobody's business. Just pisses me off that people just abandon an animal like that - she even still has a collar on and everything.
Did they report the former tenants to the police? Because those fuckers need some animal cruelty charges. And a public flogging. :mad:

WTF is wrong with people. These are same morons that want to declaw their cats and let them outside and wonder why I refused to adopt to them when I was volunteering at the Humane Society. We used to do this really cute Christmas Window display at a mall and hold our adoptions there temporarily. This one woman got denied for adoption for that very reason and caused a massive scene and flipped out at me and called me all kinds of names while screaming at the top of her lungs all while her young kids were watching. She finally left and then came right back a few minutes later. I guess she was a bit stunned and needed to think up some more insults. If she thought that a tantrum like that was going to persuade me, she was mistaken.

fade

Staff member
Well, you guys would have to flog me for letting my cat outside, then. And, yes, I've read plenty from both sides. I've got a pee-covered, chewed up couch and a scratched up door that says our male rescue needed to go outside, or he was going to get out there himself somehow. He does have a cat door into the garage, plenty of food and water, and a yard fenced against dogs. He was just conditioned to the outside, and I couldn't break him of it, and he sure let me know.

Well, you guys would have to flog me for letting my cat outside, then. And, yes, I've read plenty from both sides. I've got a pee-covered, chewed up couch and a scratched up door that says our male rescue needed to go outside, or he was going to get out there himself somehow. He does have a cat door into the garage, plenty of food and water, and a yard fenced against dogs. He was just conditioned to the outside, and I couldn't break him of it, and he sure let me know.

He has his claws though right?

Yep. Is that what you meant? I thought they were two separate things. In that case, I retract my panty-bunching. Oops.
She wanted to adopt this cat from the shelter and declaw it and then let it outside.

I'm not a huge fan of outdoor cats but I understand that it's a personal decision. I am however, completely opposed to declawing cats and I feel that it's barbaric and cruel.

fade

Staff member
She wanted to adopt this cat from the shelter and declaw it and then let it outside.

I'm not a huge fan of outdoor cats but I understand that it's a personal decision. I am however, completely opposed to declawing cats and I feel that it's barbaric and cruel.
I get the concern about outside cats (even if I don't entirely agree with it), but at the same time, my only choice with this guy was to put him outside or take him to a shelter, where it's likely he would've either been returned, been put down, or ended up outside anyway. It was clear he did not want to be inside. He's a great cat, but he responds to being trapped inside by marking and nervously shredding everything. He's fixed, on flea meds, fed twice a day, and has shelter. Even outside, he tends to attack our legs. I did not want to put him outside, but a friend who works at a shelter relieved my mind by pointing out I basically neutered and released a feral cat, which is not a bad thing.

GasBandit

Staff member
I get the concern about outside cats (even if I don't entirely agree with it), but at the same time, my only choice with this guy was to put him outside or take him to a shelter, where it's likely he would've either been returned, been put down, or ended up outside anyway. It was clear he did not want to be inside. He's a great cat, but he responds to being trapped inside by marking and nervously shredding everything. He's fixed, on flea meds, fed twice a day, and has shelter. Even outside, he tends to attack our legs. I did not want to put him outside, but a friend who works at a shelter relieved my mind by pointing out I basically neutered and released a feral cat, which is not a bad thing.
The issue is mainly with the declawing, not the outsiding. The whole thing is that cats need their claws, and outdoor cats REALLY need their claws.

I mean, I've had to have outdoor cats before too. When I was a kid, my parents were allergic but I wanted cats. By and large things went fine. Granted, they weren't declawed, and we lived out in the burbs - and heavily wooded burbs at that.

fade

Staff member
Sorry if I seem defensive. I've had to plea my case to a neighbor who gave me a hard time already.[DOUBLEPOST=1496874769,1496874728][/DOUBLEPOST]Mine isn't declawed to be clear.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've noticed lately that Bryan is awash in feral cats, too. I am pretty sure I broke up an all-feline gang fight one night by driving thru the Jack-in-the-Box at Texas and Villa Maria, and one night a juvenile red tabby came up to me at Chicken Express and demanded one of my tenders. Which, softy that I am, I gave him. He was a loud little bastard.

fade

Staff member
Whoa whoa whoa buddy. You can't end a post with mild sexual overtones with "Are y'all in?"

The number of possible jokes is too overwhelming... Robot brain overheating...

Last cat we had no matter what I did he was getting outside. We were in a basement suite that had sliding windows and when we put a piece of wood in the run of it, he grabbed the window with his front paws and pushed on the sill with his back so hard that he left cm deep gouges in it. Had all his claws though. Pretty sure it's actually illegal to declaw them here.

When I hear these stories I laugh, because my old cat Sid never tried to get outside, she used to claw me when I tried to take her on the porch or something to meet someone. Cupcake and Pud never try either. They have no interest in going out. Now if I close the door to the dining room to take pictures....oh my lord! The crying and the scratching at the door to get to me.

My mother-in-law had a cat that seemed to believe that outside the house was uninhabitable. Always looked at someone that was going outside as if that was the last she would see them because they were going to suffocate. She had a very high aversion to going out, vet trips were accomplished by putting the carrier on end, getting her in and putting a blanket over it to keep her calm.

Oliver was found outside on a playground living off the scraps of kids lunches and when I got him at the pound he was besting cats 3 times his size. We always joked despite picking him and adopting him we really saved the others there.

fade

Staff member
Now funny enough the cat in question's sister and littermate hates the outdoors. She is a fat softie who is perfectly happy indoors.

Pud is totally a softie as well. He grooms one of my stuffed bears and then sleeps on it. If the other cats at the shelter knew, he would get beaten up a recess for sure.

I'm not going to make the mistake I made yesterday. Went out early to pick up applications, and all I got as a result were stress-induced chest pains and three near collisions thanks to elderly drivers trying to pull out in front of me thanks to their not looking both ways. By the time normal person lunch rolled around, I was in no mood to go out and just went to bed and didn't get up until the hockey game was over. :(

Today anything I do beyond groceries is going to be for FUN and fun alone.

GasBandit

Staff member
Friday, 2:30 pm-

They: "Wait, hold up, we gotta get this contract on to start Monday."

We: "But we've got monday done, we were about to finalize everything... this will be a pain in the ass... oh fine."

Friday, 3:30 pm-

We: "Ok, we managed to move stuff around and finally get it taken care of to start Monday. Now, just send me the audio so I can put it in the system."

They: "Oh, it's not finished yet. In fact, it probably won't be today. You can just go ahead and push it all back to start Wednesday instead."

We: