[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I've seen this girl a few times in the past week and while I went into it thinking it could be a relationship, I don't think I really want it. It's become really obvious that she wants to date more and is sending me all these nice messages and making plans for us to do stuff down the road and I just feel like a dick. She's nice and I don't really have a good reason for why I don't want to date other than a general gut sense of feeling like it isn't right. We aren't really officially dating so instead of just saying "I'm breaking up with you" it's essentially saying "I don't want to see you anymore" which seems a lot meaner in my eyes. I know it's just a week, but I've never actually ended any kind of relationship before so I don't even know how to properly do this, and I know I won't feel good afterwards, but I don't really have any choice.

Just sucks is all.
And I did it. She kind of gave me a more concrete reason to do it today, but I still feel shitty. She's really upset and I feel like a jerk. I know it was the right thing to do, but that doesn't make me feel better.

I've seen this girl a few times in the past week and while I went into it thinking it could be a relationship, I don't think I really want it. It's become really obvious that she wants to date more and is sending me all these nice messages and making plans for us to do stuff down the road and I just feel like a dick. She's nice and I don't really have a good reason for why I don't want to date other than a general gut sense of feeling like it isn't right. We aren't really officially dating so instead of just saying "I'm breaking up with you" it's essentially saying "I don't want to see you anymore" which seems a lot meaner in my eyes. I know it's just a week, but I've never actually ended any kind of relationship before so I don't even know how to properly do this, and I know I won't feel good afterwards, but I don't really have any choice.

Just sucks is all.

I'm not doubting you made the correct decision, since I trust you to know you better than I do, but I couldn't stop thinking about this.

Well it wouldn't have gotten that far if I wasn't thinking with my dick.

I just hurt a nice person who deserves better. I'd tell her all this, but that'd be selfish and only serve to help me, not her. I just get to feel shitty about it. Goodnight.

I hate when updated versions of software make UI changes for no discernible reason whatsoever. For example, the latest version of our translation software has swapped the locations of the "Create New Project" and "Load Old Project" buttons. So now when I want to create a new one, I'm constantly getting the window to open an old project, and when I want to load a previous project I end up starting up the project creation wizard.

Ugh, seriously, such a pointless change.

Well it wouldn't have gotten that far if I wasn't thinking with my dick.

I just hurt a nice person who deserves better. I'd tell her all this, but that'd be selfish and only serve to help me, not her. I just get to feel shitty about it. Goodnight.
Even though she's hurting now, you did the best thing for both of you. Leading her on when your heart (or gut) wasn't into it would be so much worse. I've had someone do that to me in the past, and it hurt more than any immediate break-up or rejection.

I can't even fit a spare in my car. I have a patch kit, but the one time I got a flat it was 100% not patchable and I needed a tow. :/

I just bought a gadget from Newegg, and it came with a $30 rebate, yet I am finding it sooooo haaaaaard to muster up the motivation to go through the process of filling out the form and putting it in an envelope and going to the Post Office and mailing the letter EVEN THOUGH the rebate is for more than half the cost of the product itself.

FWP.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Yeah, my Mini came with runflats and no spare. I went to the nearest junkyard and bought a honda spare (same bolt pattern) for like 20 bucks. It fits in the tiny trunk.[DOUBLEPOST=1496768472,1496768430][/DOUBLEPOST]
I just bought a gadget from Newegg, and it came with a $30 rebate, yet I am finding it sooooo haaaaaard to muster up the motivation to go through the process of filling out the form and putting it in an envelope and going to the Post Office and mailing the letter EVEN THOUGH the rebate is for more than half the cost of the product itself.

FWP.

--Patrick
You know, this is exactly what they rely on, and why they do the discount as a rebate rather than an immediate value.

I mean, I could buy an extra tire, if I never want to use my storage space. It's extra annoying because it's a hatchback.

this is exactly what they rely on
Oh, I know it. I can tell by the way they have absolutely NO way to do this online, make it hard to find the rebate form, insist on the original UPC cut from the actual box rather than a photo, etc. I can't even fax it!

--Patrick

FWP.

--Patrick
Are you @Zero Esc's new employee?

But yeah, I get lazy about those rebates, too.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, it turned out to be three tiny pin-sized pricks in the sidewall. Irreparable. I smell sabotage.

Fortunately, I got the Road Hazard coverage, so they'll replace the tire just for the cost of renewing the road hazard coverage.

As for my spare, gonna have to find a new one. The Discount Tire guy said they don't sell them and recommend full size spares for safety reasons, but a full spare won't fit in the spare-depression under the mat in my trunk.[DOUBLEPOST=1496769280,1496769179][/DOUBLEPOST]Found a replacement microspare on ebay for 50 bucks. Not bad.

FWP.

--Patrick
I bought a pack of envelopes and forever stamps and keep them at my desk (and away from other family members) specifically for rebates. It's now no longer a big deal, though I still don't like them. My biggest offender is Menards, and it's worse - the mail in rebate can only be redeemed in store, so it's really just a coupon, not cash or check. That said, compared to Lowes or Home Depot, the rebates have saved me quite a bit over the last few years, and I keep going back so it's not like they won't get used.

You know what's annoying? Taiwanese companies that get their own English names wrong on their official websites. As in they'll have registered their company with the government using the name Really Awesome Enterprises Co. Ltd., but their English website will have Really Awesome Consulting Inc. or some variant of that. And then we translate their case based on the name they have on their official English website, and they come whining at us because the name's not the same as the one registered with the government, so their application for something or another got denied, blah blah blah...

I swear some of these companies must be run by Trevor Philips.

You know what I hate? Fake News!

No no no no, not that political stuff, the fake Video Game News. Prime example: Bethesda May Announce Galactic RPG Starfield at E3 2017

Now right there, the "May Announce" is in itself showing "we're talking out of our asses" before you even READ it. I clicked just because it was such a ridiculous headline. But then the writers/editors apparently go "Hold my beer" and say this:
Per a posting to 4chan, the latest rumor has Bethesda primed to officially unveil plans for an original galactic RPG in the form of Starfield.
4chan alone should have been enough reason for the editor to kill the whole article, but then they double-down on dumb:
Offering the supporting evidence that the Brotherhood of Steel was previously revealed to have created nirnroot, the 4chan rumor in questions purports that Starfield exists within a narrative timeline that places its events between those depicted in Fallout and The Elder Scrolls — with any and all logical inconsistencies explained by the latter mentioned fantasy series’ introduction of the Time Wound.
Reporting it seems is "investigative" only in theory nowadays I think. Even if you're not familiar with either series, methinks some basic looking for 5 minutes at a few wikis should have cleared this up as "1st grade trolling" on the part of 4chan.

I'd like some REAL gaming news please? Pretty please?

GasBandit

Staff member
You got to be fucking kidding me

0607170910.jpg

I wasn't using power tools or anything. And I was loosening the lug when it happened, not tightening

Knock it out with a hammer, buy a new one and insert from the back, then use the lug bolt to tighten into place. Should be under $25, and your local auto parts store will carry them.

GasBandit

Staff member
Knock it out with a hammer, buy a new one and insert from the back, then use the lug bolt to tighten into place. Should be under $25, and your local auto parts store will carry them.
I've already dropped it off with my local auto guy, drove it there on the other 4.

Blame tire shops for absentmindedly overtorqueing them with impact wrenches. I hate that.
Last 4 times I got Discount Tire to do all the lug work. Then I do it myself ONCE and this happens :p

You know what I hate? Fake News!

No no no no, not that political stuff, the fake Video Game News. Prime example: Bethesda May Announce Galactic RPG Starfield at E3 2017

Now right there, the "May Announce" is in itself showing "we're talking out of our asses" before you even READ it. I clicked just because it was such a ridiculous headline. But then the writers/editors apparently go "Hold my beer" and say this:

4chan alone should have been enough reason for the editor to kill the whole article, but then they double-down on dumb:

Reporting it seems is "investigative" only in theory nowadays I think. Even if you're not familiar with either series, methinks some basic looking for 5 minutes at a few wikis should have cleared this up as "1st grade trolling" on the part of 4chan.

I'd like some REAL gaming news please? Pretty please?
Your rant seems to suggest you think Screen Rant is akin to the Washington Post. Heck, Screen Rant didn't even give you a witty Headline!

My wife and son moved to Kentucky (I'm following next weekend) and our friend down there does maintenance for our landlord - our friend went into a place today that the former tenants left to check on what was going to need to be fixed before it could be rented again and found a white cat that they had left behind with no food, water, and it's been in the 90's there ("realfeel")... Apparently she's very friendly - came right up to my wife and has been scarfing down food and water like nobody's business. Just pisses me off that people just abandon an animal like that - she even still has a collar on and everything.

Last edited:
Your rant seems to suggest you think Screen Rant is akin to the Washington Post. Heck, Screen Rant didn't even give you a witty Headline!
Hey, that just popped up in Google News. I know nothing about the organization other than that they put out clickbait. Hence why it's in the "minor" rant thread. ;)