[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I'm on day three of having laryngitis, and yet people still can't take the hint that I don't want to have an extended conversation. I even texted my dad when he tried to call me and he insisted on calling me repeatedly until I finally gave up and just answered it.

I'm on day three of having laryngitis, and yet people still can't take the hint that I don't want to have an extended conversation. I even texted my dad when he tried to call me and he insisted on calling me repeatedly until I finally gave up and just answered it.
Next time, do your best Mercedes McCambridge imitation.

Of course, he might not ever call back after that.

Other irritating shit. When an old woman who I know has worked at Target for over a decade doesn't know how her own shit works, but I can remember it from working there 16+ years ago.

GasBandit

Staff member
Other irritating shit. When an old woman who I know has worked at Target for over a decade doesn't know how her own shit works, but I can remember it from working there 16+ years ago.
One of the few people who has worked here longer than me is our Spanish station PD, a hispanic grandma in her late 40s.

Every week I have to show her how to use the fax machine again.

Every week.

For 14 years.

One of these days I'll just refuse.[DOUBLEPOST=1488406101,1488406041][/DOUBLEPOST]
You should have answered it and then just remained silent.

fade

Staff member
One of the few people who has worked here longer than me is our Spanish station PD, a hispanic grandma in her late 40s.

Every week I have to show her how to use the fax machine again.

Every week.

For 14 years.

One of these days I'll just refuse.
Tell her she has to make the handshake noise with her mouth now because the company slashed the fax budget. Then demonstrate, but every time she tries, say "no, like this" and demonstrate again.

fade

Staff member
Well crap on a crap cracker. I totally forgot my friends were having a black belt celebration party tonight, and for some reason my phone was on mute, so I missed all of them texting me asking where I was. Geez they had a cake made and everything. I even reminded myself this afternoon.

Well crap on a crap cracker. I totally forgot my friends were having a black belt celebration party tonight, and for some reason my phone was on mute, so I missed all of them texting me asking where I was. Geez they had a cake made and everything. I even reminded myself this afternoon.
Now you'll have to wait until next year to try again.

--Patrick

THE DC WIKI MODERATORS ARE A BUNCH OF PENDANTIC TWITS! I could understand them when they didn't like my suggestion for Prime-Earth Kite-man's head quote, but their bull-shit picture rules drove me overboard. PSYCHO PIRATE DOESN'T LOOK LIKE THAT ANYMORE-they'd rather enforce their rules than thematic accuracy!

It's my girlfriend's birthday tomorrow. I've had this plan to lay out this wonderful setup after she goes to bed so she can be surprised first thing in the morning. She usually goes to bed around 10, and I'll need 1-2 hours, so I figured I could go to sleep around midnight.

It's 11:04 and she wants to stay up late to hang out. She even took a fucking nap today. Meanwhile, I've got a gnarly cold and 2 hours of work whenever she finally goes to bed... but if I do anything to coax her to bed she'll know something's up.

Bah!

EDIT: Did I mention we have to get up at 6am? Because we have to get up at 6am.

Last edited:
We get a translation case about uninterruptible power supplies. Every time "UPS" appears, the translator translates it as UPS the package delivery service.

Just... how do you even... DID THAT NOT SEEM WEIRD AT ANY POINT IN THIS THOUSAND-PLUS WORD DOCUMENT???

GasBandit

Staff member
I can't believe I'm having to lecture a production guy from a TV station about what audio clipping is and why it is bad.

So, I haven't talked about this much here, but currently I'm on a wound vac. A device that uses negative pressure to help the speedy healing of wounds. It's loud, annoying and I have to keep it on 24/7. I'm only allowed to shower on days I get the vac dressing changed. So, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Hopefully it'll be coming off soon since it has been almost a month since my surgery.

My best friend is bringing someone to meet me that he became really good friends with while he was working in Germany. She seems great. The best I can do for a shower is a whore's bath and sweats. Let alone the loud, blood sucking device I have draped over my shoulder with a tube that leads down my pants to my knee. This is not helping my social anxiety.

So, I haven't talked about this much here, but currently I'm on a wound vac. A device that uses negative pressure to help the speedy healing of wounds. It's loud, annoying and I have to keep it on 24/7. I'm only allowed to shower on days I get the vac dressing changed. So, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Hopefully it'll be coming off soon since it has been almost a month since my surgery.

My best friend is bringing someone to meet me that he became really good friends with while he was working in Germany. She seems great. The best I can do for a shower is a whore's bath and sweats. Let alone the loud, blood sucking device I have draped over my shoulder with a tube that leads down my pants to my knee. This is not helping my social anxiety.
If she asks about it, just tell her it's the male version of the Brava system.

--Patrick

Just play it off like it's everyday life in the trenches. "Unfortunately, the docs say that this is the best that I can do for you at this point, but I'd be happy to host you again after I'm in better form. With that out of the way, which controller would you like?"

EDIT: added geekery.

Last edited:
If it's your knee couldn't you get a shower stool or something to sit on, and then keep your healing leg outside the shower?
The dressing can't get wet at all. Even with precautions there's a chance it could start leaking and ruin the entire vac system so I only shower directly before a dressing change.

Also, she was a lovely girl and we all had a good night.

Here's what it basically looks like:

I went to a home health care store and bought a shower cover for my post op cast. It went from my wrist to my shoulder and had several layers of plastic and two fasteners. I still held my cast out of the shower just in case, but it really helped. I had to shower. They eventually moved me to a brace that I could get wet. It had a cloth lining for my arm that I would replace with a dry one after.

Now I laugh because I can't shower as much as I'd like anyway due to my water issues.

The dressing can't get wet at all. Even with precautions there's a chance it could start leaking and ruin the entire vac system so I only shower directly before a dressing change.

Also, she was a lovely girl and we all had a good night.

Here's what it basically looks like:

Tell her you're getting cyborg enhancements...

For her pleasure. :unibrow:

You wanna know the best part about the device? It has a powder in it that turns the fluid it sucks out into a jelly. It also stinks REALLY bad. So, not only do I not get to shower properly, I get to carry around a purse sized object that's constantly ejecting stinking air.

I'm sick for the third time this month. I wonder which one of my children is carrying home germs without getting sick themselves. :mad:

Looks at schedule. Tuesday morning is a good day to get that tooth pulled.

Weather report says, "I don't think so!" 1-3" of snow tonight before I even get done with work, another 1-3" during the day Tuesday, and another another inch Tuesday night. :cry:

It doesn't hurt, but it's becoming more and more of an annoyance, and as it continues to fall apart, there will be less and less to get a grip on when I finally do make it in to get it out.

Left front headlight goes out on the car.

Looks at Chilton manual for procedure to replace bulb.

"1. Raise vehicle on jack and remove front wheel.
2. Remove front fender liner..."

:cry:

Left front headlight goes out on the car.

Looks at Chilton manual for procedure to replace bulb.

"1. Raise vehicle on jack and remove front wheel.
2. Remove front fender liner..."

:cry:
Something's not quite right. That sounds more like how to replace the entire headlight assembly.