[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

fade

Staff member
Left front headlight goes out on the car.

Looks at Chilton manual for procedure to replace bulb.

"1. Raise vehicle on jack and remove front wheel.
2. Remove front fender liner..."

:cry:
It was revised in later versions, thankfully, but the left headlight in the original (1998) New Beetle required dismantling part of the engine to replace. The joke was the procedure was

1. Remove Engine
2. Replace bulb

Chevrolet HHR. Look it up.

The only access point to the front headlight assembly to get to the bulb is from behind the front fender. And to get to it, you have to remove the "skirt" inside the fender. To do that, you have to remove the front wheel.

My car is the same. A few weeks ago my light went out. The repair shop was clearly confused when I brought my car in to have a headlight replaced. When I picked it up the guy said it was the biggest pain in the ass to change a headlight he's seen.

I think Audi is the poster child for headlamp silliness. Don't you have to remove the entire front end or something to change the headlamp?

--Patrick

Left front headlight goes out on the car.

Looks at Chilton manual for procedure to replace bulb.

"1. Raise vehicle on jack and remove front wheel.
2. Remove front fender liner..."

:cry:
My Dodge Stratus was like that for changing the battery. Apparently its designers thought that it would be better to put in the bumper directly in front of the driver's side wheel. Hated that so much! :mad:

Chevrolet HHR. Look it up.

The only access point to the front headlight assembly to get to the bulb is from behind the front fender. And to get to it, you have to remove the "skirt" inside the fender. To do that, you have to remove the front wheel.
I turn the tire to the outside and remove the fasteners, and reach in and change the bulb by feel. HHR driver for 8 years.

hhr.net has some good how to's.

GasBandit

Staff member
Underling 1, who has recently been leaving early quite often to go translate for her uncle at the hospital, found out this afternoon another of her uncles was just murdered in Mexico (apparently he was involved in the drug trade). Her mother is already out of the country for a week.

I have the feeling I'm in for a very busy week.

I'm a little concerned about my lack of empathy, though. Underling 1 is one of the nicest people I've ever met, and has never been anything but pleasant and forthright with me. This is clearly going to be a time of great stress for her, and here I am griping about how this affects my own workload.

I'm a little concerned about my lack of empathy, though. Underling 1 is one of the nicest people I've ever met, and has never been anything but pleasant and forthright with me. This is clearly going to be a time of great stress for her, and here I am griping about how this affects my own workload.
Being self-aware about it puts you a cut above a lot of people.

My mom has yelled at me for being "emotionless" before. It's something I find endlessly frustrating. It can be hard to feel empathy towards a situation that doesn't affect you, and people tend to fake empathy because they feel the same way about not wanting to be a "monster."

Underling 1, who has recently been leaving early quite often to go translate for her uncle at the hospital, found out this afternoon another of her uncles was just murdered in Mexico (apparently he was involved in the drug trade). Her mother is already out of the country for a week.

I have the feeling I'm in for a very busy week.

You don't know the deceased, and in fact, didn't know of his existence until now, after it has ended. So it's a bit hard to expect you to feel sorrow for that. And when you've already been having to pick up someone's slack on a regular basis, it's kind of normal to see something that's going to pass even more of their workload onto to you as an unneeded burden.

Fact is, in a similar situation, most of us would make the appropriate sympathetic noises and purely courtesy offers of help, etc, and once the bereaved was out of our immediate vicinity, put it in the back of our minds.

If Underling 1 was someone you'd know a long time, that you spent time socially with - that you were, in short, anything more than a colleague with her - then yes, the lack of feeling would be perhaps concerning. But you don't really have any more than a workplace relationship with her, so it's not unreasonable that your empathy for her would be shallow or limited.

You're better than you think you are.

As often as underlings have issues at your place, I'd be surprised if you did have more empathy.
Otherwise it's probably that Monkeysphere thing at work again. You didn't know the uncle, therefore he's not in your Monkeysphere, therefore no empathy.

--Patrick

My mom has yelled at me for being "emotionless" before. It's something I find endlessly frustrating. It can be hard to feel empathy towards a situation that doesn't affect you, and people tend to fake empathy because they feel the same way about not wanting to be a "monster."
I've occasionally wondered how many people are faking the sympathy and whatever because they think they should be feeling the emotion, and are pressured by wanting to fit in, or "look respectable" or whatever. And then I wonder if people like your mother are also faking it, and just doubling down on "looking respectable" by pressuring us to do the same.

Sigh.

I get spoken to for being too emotional/caring too much :(

I can't help it! And then I get upset when members of my family are way on the other end of the spectrum. I'm not even sure what to call it. Oblivious? I don't know, but it upsets me.

fade

Staff member
I turn the tire to the outside and remove the fasteners, and reach in and change the bulb by feel. HHR driver for 8 years.

hhr.net has some good how to's.
MINI solved this problem by fitting screw out ports in the skirts, like the kind you find on a boat. It's actually pretty easy to change the bulbs on it, though it is all by feel.

I'll take honest lack of empathy instead of cloying, fake sympathy, any day. I can't stand that sort of saccharine bullshit, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna fake it to make you feel better.

If I invest the spoons for an emotional response, I'm gonna make sure it's worth it for me to do it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Google has decided to discontinue the use of annotations in youtube videos.

https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2017/03/keep-fans-engaged-with-cards-end.html

Annotations are still required to correct errors and make alterations to videos when information presented in them changes over time.

Another capricious removal of a useful feature "just because" it isn't used as much as it used to be. Google thoughtlessly throwing out babies with bathwater, as they have so many times before.

Can you tell I'm still angry about the discontinuation of Google Reader?

They serve a purpose, but too many people layer annotations on top of annotations "4 der Lulz" and I won't be sorry to see them go, just like I won't be sorry to see random rectangles pop up where people tried to put annotations but never finished.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Thing is, for people who don't want em, there's already an on/off switch. In fact, you can set it to default to off. I hate annotation abuse as much as the next guy.

But, for example, it's kind of important when I have a video that is the number one search result for a given term (Space Engineers Tutorial), which incorporates information 3 years out of date, for me to be able to go in and put in corrections in the video later.

Thing is, for people who don't want em, there's already an on/off switch. In fact, you can set it to default to off. I hate annotation abuse as much as the next guy.
But, for example, it's kind of important when I have a video that is the number one search result for a given term (Space Engineers Tutorial), which incorporates information 3 years out of date, for me to be able to go in and put in corrections in the video later.
They specifically called that out, saying that's what Cards are supposed to be for now.
I agree that their Cards implementation won't be a drop-in replacement, though.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
They specifically called that out, saying that's what Cards are supposed to be for now.
I agree that their Cards implementation won't be a drop-in replacement, though.

--Patrick
Cards are shit and are utterly unable to perform as I would require. They just put a little widget in the corner, as opposed to covering an author-designated portion of the screen. They only function as links with minimal descriptions, unable to convey any real meaningful information without being clicked on, which takes the viewer away from the video.

FURTHERMORE their "annotation use has decreased 70% since the introduction of cards and end screens" thing is kinda bullshit, given that authors have an either-or decision to make with every new video - you can't have both annotations AND cards/end screens on a video. Because reasons.

So, it's not exactly an organic "we're going to do Y because people seem not to prefer X," it's "We made it less convenient to do X, so less people are doing X, but we're going to use that as justification to turn off X in favor of Y."