[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I've been enjoying the last season of Star Trek DS9, especially episodes featuring Vic Fontaine. So I thought, I wonder the actor/singer (James Darren) ever made an album. Turns out he made several, including one featuring all the songs he sang in DS9.

So I thought, well let's see if I can obtain them legally first. Amazon.com has the album in mp3s. Awesome!

Oh. I can't buy them through Amazon.com because I MUST use Amazon.ca.

...oh, Amazon.ca only has the CD, not the Mp3s.

See, it's because of shit like this that I pirate. (And of course, I can't find the album THAT way, either. Or if I can, the download isn't seeding.)

Last edited:
I always disliked the Vic episodes. They always felt like supreme low budget filler to me. This mostly came down to when I watched it week to week as it aired when I was a kid. Between Billy Graham preempting DS9 at least once a month and Vic episodes it always felt like the story was ground to a halt.

Rewatching them on Netflix a couple of years ago I realized that the Vic episodes were really few and far between and I softened on them a bit.

I always disliked the Vic episodes. They always felt like supreme low budget filler to me. This mostly came down to when I watched it week to week as it aired when I was a kid. Between Billy Graham preempting DS9 at least once a month and Vic episodes it always felt like the story was ground to a halt.

Rewatching them on Netflix a couple of years ago I realized that the Vic episodes were really few and far between and I softened on them a bit.
Reading up on the episodes on the Star Trek wiki, it appears those episodes were actually more expensive. But yeah, they were always my favourites. Really, any episodes that set in the 40s to 60s are my favourite.

And the fallout from this continues. My EA account used the same insecure password, and now I find that's been compromised too. The hackers changed the security question, so while I can access the account, I can't change the password or the security question, which means I might lose access to it any time again. And contacting EA support via their Contact Us form results in them insisting that they need to call me on the phone to resolve this issue. Problem is, they only allow phone numbers from the US and Canada.

Grrr....
Happy update to this. I managed to use email to communicate with a rep (had to set my region to Taiwan, and type in Chinese), but I've reset my security question and changed my password. As far as I can tell, there have been no unauthorized purchases or activity in my EA account, so it looks like everything's fine now.

I'm still not a fan of EA as a company, but on this occasion, their customer service worked very well.

The worst part about subbing in a school district is doing all the fucking work to get a place ready for something only to have another person with zero experience hired. Then you're expected to help train them and show what you've worked on while there. I couldn't apply for the job because the fucking union doesn't allow it to go outside the district for hiring/transfer for almost a month.

Goddamn why even bother going to school when I can just fuck around in unionized part-time jobs and then snag a cushy 7-8 hour position when I'm 40 out from under someone younger with more experience because they're not allowed to be in the union as a sub

Fuck I hate fucking unions

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm getting e-mailed a request for affidavits dating back to April for something I've never heard of before.

Looking into it, I'm guessing somebody signed up for a service to be paid on barter and just didn't bother telling anybody (probably assuming that the service would contact whoever was supposed to take care of that end separately).

This is going to be a pain in the ass to work out, I can tell. I'm trying to make sure I get the whole story from the people on our end before I reply with "So, listen, this is the first I've heard about this so obviously we haven't been running any of your barter inventory. Have a good one!"

WHY'S EVERY PROGRAM GOTTA BE A SPECIAL FUCKING SNOWFLAKE WITH ITS OWN WINDOW THEME NOW?

I miss WinXP.
I'm curious. Does each program actually have its own theme, or is a theme randomly applied to it when launched? Or is the OS even more dastardly and randomly assigns a theme to the program when it's installed?

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm curious. Does each program actually have its own theme, or is a theme randomly applied to it when launched? Or is the OS even more dastardly and randomly assigns a theme to the program when it's installed?
The truth is that programs these days seem to rarely rely on the windows theme for their UI components, they've mostly just started hard-coding what they want their stuff to look like. So you get the mess above instead of nice, uniform elements. I blame windows 7, personally. This nonsense started when some applications changed so that even when running on XP they would have windows 7 theme UI elements... and it just got retarded from there.

The truth is that programs these days seem to rarely rely on the windows theme for their UI components, they've mostly just started hard-coding what they want their stuff to look like. So you get the mess above instead of nice, uniform elements. I blame windows 7, personally. This nonsense started when some applications changed so that even when running on XP they would have windows 7 theme UI elements... and it just got retarded from there.
From what I've seen, the actual reason is how many applications now rely on cross-OS compatible resources like Adobe Air (so their program looks the same on Windows/MacOS/Linux) or directly code their UIs as embedded web apps (so it's js and such filth all the way down).

I wonder if you could code a joke plug-in or something that would do that on purpose, making each UI element in its own style. Joke plug-ins used to be quite the thing, maybe it's time they make a comeback.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Well if you watched the news this morning, you've seen that Delta Airlines' computer system is down. Guess where I am? In an airport waiting for a Delta flight. Oo oo guess what else? The system is back up except Atlanta which is on full ground stop. Guess what city I'm flying to?

I had a 7 am flight and the 5:45 am hasn't left yet. I feel bad for them because they boarded the 5:45 a while ago and those people have been sitting in the plane for an hour. An RJ, too so there isn't even really room to stand up.

The forests are so dry in Nova Scotia, the government has stepped up from its total burn ban to a total ban on using the forests. Until we get rain it is now illegal to step foot in the woods.

Never seen this before.

We get a big translation case. The client sends us a previously-done translation for a similar document, for reference. The previous translation includes the official English names for a bunch of organizations, treaties, standards, etc, which our translator could just use directly in this new translation.

So, of course, the translator decides to invent entirely new English names for everything.

I hope he doesn't think we're going to pay him extra for pointless busywork.

The forests are so dry in Nova Scotia, the government has stepped up from its total burn ban to a total ban on using the forests. Until we get rain it is now illegal to step foot in the woods.

Never seen this before.
Now where are the bears going to poop?

Dave

Staff member
So here I am, sitting at home having taken the day off. Not playing No Man's Sky because I don't have a PS4. Friday on release day? I'll be working and then playing softball. So I really won't be able to play it until Saturday.

This IS minor rant, you know.

My car's in for maintenance. Dropped it off at 11AM, was going to be ready by 3PM. Got a call at 3:30PM saying it "wouldn't be finished today". Well, joy.
So of course my girlfriend calls me, crying, because she gets off work at 6PM, and her 6:18 train's been cancelled, the 6:48 train's been cancelled, the 7:18 train has a delay reported as "66 minutes, expect more" (aka, it's not coming), and the 7:48 train has a delay of 22 minutes posted.
Did I mention this is the only night this week she gets off work before 10PM? And pretty much the first evening we could spend together without other people in two weeks?
Yeah, I'm slightly miffed at the train company right now. And at my garage.

Thanks to a reconstruction investigation and hazmat cleanup, a 4am truck accident is still causing backups and secondary accidents all over town.

So here I am, sitting at home having taken the day off. Not playing No Man's Sky because I don't have a PS4. Friday on release day? I'll be working and then playing softball. So I really won't be able to play it until Saturday.

This IS minor rant, you know.

I have mentioned before how bad it is to plan a day off on a game's release day. This is what typically happens.

I should know, I've been burnt plenty of times before.

I have mentioned before how bad it is to plan a day off on a game's release day. This is what typically happens.

I should know, I've been burnt plenty of times before.
Plus, in the modern era of gaming, chances are you'll run into server issues on release day.

Even if it's a single player game.

Cajungal

Staff member
The flooding is pretty bad around here. They had to use an auditorium and an elementary school as shelters this afternoon. Glad I'm on the second floor.

Okay, that thing that I posted over on the Random Thread, Ceej? It's now scaring me.

Most of NW Wisconsin is underwater at the moment after the rain we had the last few days...

I don't know what I need, but I know I need it soon... I've been irritable as hell, my poor kids and wife set me off over the smallest things, and I let a disorderly subject wind me up in a way that I wouldn't, normally. Had to step away from the situation before _I_ escalated it.

Didn't help that I read a news article today that named me as racist (or "possibly racially-oriented profiling") after I asked the occupant of a building for ID after checking an open door.

The assholes are starting to wear me down again....