[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
Meanwhile, in New York.

"I powdered my cockatiel for the ribcage slaughter!"

"Oh god, what is he saying now? Just give the round-eye whatever he points at and hope he goes away instead of killing us all."

"I'm the conductor of the poop train!"

fade

Staff member
Okay. Yet another deadbeat bidder on my laptop. This one also has feedback. These people don't write me back or anything. I have never had this kind of bad luck with ebay before.

Meanwhile, in New York.

"I powdered my cockatiel for the ribcage slaughter!"

"Oh god, what is he saying now? Just give the round-eye whatever he points at and hope he goes away instead of killing us all."

"I'm the conductor of the poop train!"
Some places they already know what you're there for.

*Enters shop, door hasn't finished closing*

Counter guy, who has never seen me before: "You'll have a number 6."

Me: "Yep"

Okay. Yet another deadbeat bidder on my laptop. This one also has feedback. These people don't write me back or anything. I have never had this kind of bad luck with ebay before.
You never included anything about the GPU test, dunno if that mattered.
Also I wonder if someone wants it but doesn't want to pay more than $X for it, so when someone else does push the bid >$X, they shill bid and then drop out so they can get another chance when you relist it.

--Patrick

I had my performance discussion with the new boss that I hate. She rated me very well on technical aspects and well on leadership. So overall good but not the excellent review I got last year. I don't think she's being fair because:

1 she's a hateful bitch
2 she is so used to me doing both my job and my retired boss' that she's docking me for leadership skills that aren't really fair given what my substantive position is
3 what she's docking me for wasn't set out in my goals
4 hateful know it all bitch

Overall, it's a good review, but I deserve better considering everything I've done for her. She'd have been fired without me stepping up to do extra.

My retired boss told me to walk out on stress leave before he left and another of her direct reports left on stress leave today which puts her total to three. My staff asked me seriously after today's meeting when my leave started. This was after they thanked me sincerely for not treating them the way I'm being treated.

It says a lot that taking a day off to have a foot long needle inserted in the base of my spine will be less stressful and painful than listening to her crap.

Even worse? She wrote down all the ratings I planned to give my staff!! I now have to present really bland performance ratings because she lowered them. I'm sure that I'm not allowed to tell my team that she did that either. Wtf do I do with that?

I'm sure that I'm not allowed to tell my team that she did that either.
Why wouldn't you? "I wanted to give you a score of 82/100, but management made me turn it into a 72. No reason was given, take it up with management/your union representative/HR if you want more info" would be exactly how that would be given here. Was given, in fact. Which got my manager replaced after it turned out she was deliberately forcing coordinators to give "tweaked" performance reviews to make sure he got the targets and his own bonus for "good staff" without hitting the targets to have to give incentives/bonuses to any of his personnel.

I was told (in writing as well) that I was not allowed to share my ratings with my staff until she and senior management reviewed them. Now that happened last year too, but her predecessor never changed them. An occasional question? For sure, but he would have never changed them.

So, based on that instruction, I am clearly meant to present the rating as mine. I will be sure to get her trapped in writing telling me I have to lie.

That's ridiculous.

"It appears I am no longer in charge of reviewing my subordinates. If the policy has changed I need to understand how I fit into this new review process, and why I am being asked to present my superior's reviews as though they were my own. Please advise."

Sent to HR, your boss, and your boss's boss.

I was told (in writing as well) that I was not allowed to share my ratings with my staff until she and senior management reviewed them. Now that happened last year too, but her predecessor never changed them. An occasional question? For sure, but he would have never changed them.

So, based on that instruction, I am clearly meant to present the rating as mine. I will be sure to get her trapped in writing telling me I have to lie.
Do it. DO IT DO IT DO EEEET.[DOUBLEPOST=1459392192,1459392159][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's ridiculous.

"It appears I am no longer in charge of reviewing my subordinates. If the policy has changed I need to understand how I fit into this new review process, and why I am being asked to present my superior's reviews as though they were my own. Please advise."

^^^ Even better.

That's ridiculous.

Also, ask your Union rep if this is legal. Listen to them, not your boss.

I had a Famicom and I liked it.

True story, they made a version of Street Fighter for it, and it had a weird bug where if you paused the game then unpaused it, Player 2's health would drop to zero, and you could then KO them with one hit. I beat the game so many times that way, because I was bad at it and this was the only way I could win.

Three months later, another rat euthanasia for another tumor situation.

I feel I should've seen this coming. This rat was the least trusting when we got them and showed the most signs of abuse from the home the four girls came from, and even after we won her over, she had the feistiest personality. That really withered away in the last month and I thought she was just getting old, but we could still tell she was going down.

I'm really tired.

Can we have a "quietly dies inside" rating button?

In my own Minor Rant news, there are two rooms downstairs with TVs in them. My folks had started using the secondary room because the couch is easier on my dad's bad back, which also happened to be the room with the game systems. So, being a thoughtful person I moved the games to the other room nobody was using anymore so I wouldn't have to bother people that wanted to use the (now) main TV room.

So, of course, within a month they're back in the room I just moved all the games to.

So, last Monday I had to babysit a rookie for another officer who called in sick. it took most of the day before we clicked enough to unwind and start filling each other in on our respective geeky sides (I don't care if other officers know I'm a geek, but some boots act weirded out by it, and I hate that awkward feeling in the air if I have to ride for long with it).

Me: "Oh hey! Gog.com is having a sale. *joking tone* A few games that I played when you were a toddler or something. *pause for a moment* Hang about... when did you graduate high school?"
Babyfaced-rookie: "2011."
Me: *sobs brokenly into arm*

Reactions: Dei
So, last Monday I had to babysit a rookie for another officer who called in sick. it took most of the day before we clicked enough to unwind and start filling each other in on our respective geeky sides (I don't care if other officers know I'm a geek, but some boots act weirded out by it, and I hate that awkward feeling in the air if I have to ride for long with it).

Me: "Oh hey! Gog.com is having a sale. *joking tone* A few games that I played when you were a toddler or something. *pause for a moment* Hang about... when did you graduate high school?"
Babyfaced-rookie: "2011."
Me: *sobs brokenly into arm*
I mean, you can partly solve this problem by not talking to shoes.

OC - I'm already lost with most of my co-workers. I'm up to 10th in seniority, and even those who have been around longer than me I have no idea who they are, because I've only been at my current workplace for five years.

Why the heck do so many apps in android insist on being installed on the internal storage? Worse, why do they all seem to insist on saving all data to internal storage, too?! I know most of them work perfectly well from an SD card on a rooted phone, but I don't feel like rooting my girlfriend's phone just for WhatsApp. It's ridiculous. Worse with some older phones, like my mother's - it has 800MB of "phone memory" and another 2 GB of "internal" memory - but things liek WA still insist on placing everything on that teeny tiny 800MB partition. Makes no sense. Guys, "saving to a different hard drive than C:\" is a solved problem. It's not hard, FFS.

Yeah, I think it's one of the areas where android fails really, really hard. It's not a trivial problem, since you can't assume the SD card is always there, but it is solvable. As much as I dislike the fact that Apple charges a premium for memory, I think they chose a better path overall. Flash is cheap, Google should simply start expecting phones to include 32GB as a minimum for onboard storage, and encouraging manufacturers to provide beyond 128GB commonly.

Punting the storage ball into the court of the users may be cheaper and easier for the manufacturer and google, but it's clearly been a bad decision overall.

With marshmallow you can lump your internal and external memory together, which should solve the problem. The trouble comes in if you buy a crap card and it fails. Or if you try to pull it out and plug it into your pc to load or take off files. Which is why some phone manufacturers are actually disabling it.

I order something on Thursday, says it will get here between Monday and Wednesday. It is shipping from DENVER. I figure surely it will be here on Monday or Tuesday if it's already that close. Tracking says it has been sitting at a carrier facility (???) in town since Saturday. My town doesn't have a public post office but the neighboring town does, is that what they mean? The fuck if I know. But the better question is how it has not been delivered yet. Good thing I'm leaving for the airport at 6am tomorrow....

I mean seriously. How is this a thing.

Dear translator,

CAPITAL LETTERS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!!! :mad:

Honestly, what do you think you're doing, translating for us? You don't even know how to capitalize right. Camel case does not belong in a formal report. You don't get to use capital letters just because you feel like it. And using lower-case letters for the names of people you apparently don't like? Yeah, no.

I want to sit this guy down and go through his translation word by word. "Why did you capitalize this word? Uh huh. And this one? What about this one?"