[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Dave

Staff member
So I finally joined the land of the 21st century and got a phone, right? Well, after it fell out of my coat pocket today after work, I think I've gone back a few years. Smashy, smash. The screen is completely fucked.

So I finally joined the land of the 21st century and got a phone, right? Well, after it fell out of my coat pocket today after work, I think I've gone back a few years. Smashy, smash. The screen is completely fucked.
While thats not good, you can almost definitely find a screen repair store in your local mall or something. It'd be like $70 to fix instead of the $800 to buy a new one.

What the...Dave, did you piss off a fortune teller recently or something?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Wow. Facebook is shit. Terrible UI, unintuitive as hell, black-box options with vague descriptions, redundant features, just all around annoying. And I've only got 19 of you lot as friends. I can't imagine how people with "hundreds" of friends sift through what must be deafening amounts of noise.

I mean, say I want to see things my friends POST on my newsfeed, but not what they LIKE. There's no way to accomplish that. I can only specify that I want to see "less" of a certain person, but that's not what I want. Also, can anyone explain the functional difference between a "like" and a "share," since they both have the same practical outcome of showing up on all your friends' newsfeed. Why even have both options? Supposedly there's some workaround using lists, but I created a custom list and it doesn't give me any control over what shows up in it - and not everything shows up in it by default, apparently.

It's garbage. It even makes Google+ look good by comparison, and that's frickin SAD.

My husband being out of town also means I can't sit at the library for hours to make my son do his work without having to listen to my daughter bitch about being bored. So yay, my son is biting himself, slamming his head on the kitchen table, and doing math problems intentionally wrong all over again. FFS.

We did have an hour at the library, but my son got nothing done because he "got distracted" while hiding his iPad from view and looking busy.

*sigh*

fade

Staff member
I never have understood where the "genius" in Facebook was. Maybe in marketing, but in tech it's just another Friendster or MySpace.

For all your mild obfuscation needs -- http://www.rot13.com/

--Patrick
Our translator's glorious output, mildly encrypted with rot13:

Gur cerivbhf vaqhfgel vf na vaqhfgevrf bs bar cebqhpg, naq gur shgher vaqhfgel vf na vaqhfgel jvgu znal nccyvpngvbaf oybffbzrq yvxr zrephel fcvyyrq nyy bire gur sybbe, naq vf irel qvirefvsvrq, va juvpu gurer jvyy or n ybg bs vaabingvba.

I, um.... what?

So, next time I'm in Taiwan, do you need me to come to the office, maybe sit with certain clients and a water spray bottle? *fssh, fssh* "No! Bad! Bad English! Don't do that on Google translate!"

Our translator's glorious output, mildly encrypted with rot13:

Gur cerivbhf vaqhfgel vf na vaqhfgevrf bs bar cebqhpg, naq gur shgher vaqhfgel vf na vaqhfgel jvgu znal nccyvpngvbaf oybffbzrq yvxr zrephel fcvyyrq nyy bire gur sybbe, naq vf irel qvirefvsvrq, va juvpu gurer jvyy or n ybg bs vaabingvba.
And your translator is DEFENDING this shit? Christ on a pogo stick... Brother, you have my deepest sympathies.

The previous translation is a translations of one work order, and the future translation is a translation with many machine learnings blossomed like google spilled all over the floor, and is very stroke-like, in which there will be a lot of questions about your suitability as a translator.

I'm guessing she has some family connections and thinks those are enough to get by.
As far as we know she doesn't have any family connections with us, she's just horribly bad at English and fantastically ignorant about her level of badness. We're supposed to have filtered out people like this during the selection process, but sometimes a few will slip through. Though this is the first time someone's defended their incomprehensible output with such vehemence. Usually they're smart enough to realize they're not good enough.

Also, I swear I am not making this up, this translator's Chinese name, when translated into English, literally means "translates with refinement".

This lady just doesn't know when to quit. She emailed us again, a very lengthy email in fact, basically saying "YOU DIDN'T SPECIFY YOUR REQUIREMENTS BEFORE GIVING ME THE CASE, THAT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, YOU NEED TO SPECIFY WHAT STYLE OF TRANSLATION YOU WANT, IT'S COMPLETELY UNREASONABLE YOU'RE NOW BLAMING ME, THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!"

We're all like, "Grammatically correct English is a special requirement we need to specify in advance now?"

My supervisor is going to send her a before-and-after comparison of the translation, which shows the changes I made after I edited (or, rather, retranslated) her output. Hopefully this'll shut her up.

(And if anyone's wondering why we're being so patient with her right now, it's due to us preferring to keep a low profile due to some drama that's happened to our company recently)

Hey, @bhamv3. Does this come out coherent? 我使用这个应用程序,因为怕错了声调。

It's "I'm using this app because I'm scared of getting the tones wrong." run through iTranslate.