[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Any God who'd admit Hitler to heaven if he was given absolution 2 minutes before death, but wouldn't allow a great, good, loving, caring grandmother in because she happened to live in the wrong part of the world in the wrong era to have any hope of Knowing Christ, is not worth praying to or believing in.

Which I do not mean as an attack on (organized) religion, but on some people's point of view regarding their religion. One would think the whole Jesus-vs-Pharisees thing made it abundantly clear what NT god thinks of people living by the rules rather than their intention.

I don't think it's necessarily a fault with God (or any number of other-named Higher Powers) so much as a problem with our interpretation of what is supposed to be accomplished. An infinity loving God, capable of grace and truth, would not be fooled by a deathbed conversion, yet would see the heart of a non-believer. I'm not particular about the traditional definitions of Heaven and Hell, but the concept of being reunited with family and friends in eternity, which is paid for by my good actions on earth, is a powerful call.

I would rather go to Hell for not praying to a God that was idiotically pedantic and blinded by human deception then go to Heaven for praying to one that did.

Hey, in Catholicism divorce doesn't even count unless you get the marriage annulled. My aunt married a divorced guy but couldn't do it in her church and had to go to a different denomination for the ceremony.

I find irony in that as well, because you aren't supposed to have sex outside of marriage either, but both I and my cousin managed to get married at the Catholic church just fine with a kid in tow. (Though to be fair, I didn't tell the priest that I had a kid [emoji14])

At 7F, no, they don't have a clue. But they'll have lots of fun playing, if by "playing", you mean "shoveling my driveway". ;)

If they want to come visit, send them up in October/November when it's warmer and the snow is sticky so they can build a snowman/woman/doomweasel.
Excuse me, it's call a snowPERSON! Sexist. /charlie

GasBandit

Staff member
Hey, in Catholicism divorce doesn't even count unless you get the marriage annulled. My aunt married a divorced guy but couldn't do it in her church and had to go to a different denomination for the ceremony.

I find irony in that as well, because you aren't supposed to have sex outside of marriage either, but both I and my cousin managed to get married at the Catholic church just fine with a kid in tow. (Though to be fair, I didn't tell the priest that I had a kid [emoji14])
Does that mean, if the priest found out, your marriage might be retroactively invalidated?

If I remember correctly in Catholicism, if you remarry while your 1st spouse is still alive, it's considered adultery. I think this was before the annulment loophole.

We knew a wonderful priest (who sadly passed away at age 48) who ignored my mother's strict old-school Catholic parents and not only baptized me before they got married, but married them later at the church (without my dad completing the full conversion process), but helped changed the documents so it said my parents were married BEFORE I was born so I wouldn't know.

&@$!! Santa tracker channel. I have my kids watching it and barking out orders about when I have to do certain things etc now because this channel says our province is next.

FML.

You guys think Catholicism is bad, you don't know religious crazy until you know Jehova's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society... of which a large portion of my family is a member of.

My aunt was beaten by her husband for 20 years, and the church knew about it and mostly just ignored it. It wasn't until she finally had enough and divorced him that they took notice... by excommunicating her for divorcing her spouse.

Since the church viewed my aunt as being in the wrong (and now a shunned sinner) the dirtbag was allowed to remarry.

You guys think Catholicism is bad, you don't know religious crazy until you know Jehova's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society... of which a large portion of my family is a member of.

My aunt was beaten by her husband for 20 years, and the church knew about it and mostly just ignored it. It wasn't until she finally had enough and divorced him that they took notice... by excommunicating her for divorcing her spouse.

Since the church viewed my aunt as being in the wrong (and now a shunned sinner) the dirtbag was allowed to remarry.
The only reason Catholicism isn't crazy is because most Americans are bad Catholics.

Cajungal

Staff member
Giant family rant that I deleted. Long story short--of my in-laws' two sons, I'm so glad I married the one with a backbone. STAND UP TO YOUR WIFE. Don't put up with this "wives/moms are always right, now shut up, say 'yes dear' and lift this heavy thing" sitcom - woman bullshit. You deserve better.

We were meant to drive to my parent's place today but there is a huge snowstorm and we are staying here today. Both Hugh and I have horrible head colds or something going and we're watching the kids in shifts. If the weather clears tomorrow, my parents are going to start pressuring us to go up but if we are both unwell, we just can't. We have plans for New Year's but my mum is in denial and keeps asking up to change our plans.

I love my parents, but my mum can be intense.

Me getting sick explains why I was so dizzy and feeling rough at the neighbourhood party last night though.

Don't put up with this "wives/moms are always right, now shut up, say 'yes dear' and lift this heavy thing" sitcom - woman bullshit.
That whole "yes dear" thing makes me so angry. When Aussie and I started dating, I once told him that if he ever said that to me I would leave his patronizing ass immediately.

I have D&D in an hour. Last week when I spent hours hunting down neat Christmas themed stuff, my group spent the whole time talking over everyone else at all times and it made me really annoyed. I am going to be bullshitting my way through today because I have been so cranky about it that I haven't planned anything at all. To be fair, I almost always bullshit my way through it, but I usually at least have a start point and an end point in sight, with potential threats/monsters written down in advance.

As for an encounter...

Mister Grinch
HP: 64
Chaotic Evil Male Grinch
Humanoid 2/ rogue 8
Str 15
Dex 15
Con 16
Int 16
Wis 12
Char 10

Appraise: 10 (13)
Balance: 10 (12)
Bluff: 12 (15)
Craft (engineering): 10 (13)
Disguise: 12 (14)
Escape Artist: 8 (10)
Hide: 0 (8)
Knowledge (dungeoneering): 5 (8)
Knowledge local: 10 (13)
Move silently: 12 (16)
Slight of hand: 12 (16)

BAB: +9/+4
AC: 22

Feats:
Deceitful
Mounted Archery
Exotic weapon proficiency: Repeating crossbow, great
Mounted combat

Weapons:
Repeating crossbow, great [2d8 18-20/x2 120ft. Piercing]
Rod of Lordly Might

Armor:
Chain shirt [+4 AC, Max Dex. +4, AC penalty -2]

Troglodyte:
* +4 constitution / -2 dexterity / -2 intelligence (already included)
* Monstrous humanoid type.
* +4 on hide (already included, +8 underground)
* May claw/claw 1d4+ strength bonus x2 (multiattack), plus bite at -5 to hit 1d4+half strength bonus
* Darkvision (see 90 feet in pitch-dark)
* +6 natural armor class
* Stench. Remember this affects friendly non-trogs also.
* Level adjustment +2

Rogue:
* Sneak Attack +4d6
* Trapfinding
* Improved Evasion
* Trap Sense + 3
* Uncanny Dodge
* Improved Uncanny Dodge

Max (Mount)
Deep Hound
Large Magical Beast
HP: 51
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft. (In armor, six squares)
Armor Class: 24 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +6 natural +8 barding), touch 10,
flat-footed 124
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+16
Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d6+9)
Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d6+9)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:—
Special Qualities: Darkvision 120 ft., Light Sensitivity, Low-light vision, scent, trainable
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Jump +18, Listen +3, Spot +3, Survival +2
Feats: Alertness, Tunnel Fighting, Improved Initiative, Track
Tricks Known: All

25 minutes on hold, 15 minutes on a phone which the other side put down and apparently forgot I was on because he continued talking to other clients, and finally a "give us your number, we'll call you back". And I have to have a response TODAY, in less than 2 hours, because I have to call someone else with the info you give me. Garages :mad: