[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

As a vacation day, today gets a 2/10 seeing as it's 1:30 am and I have several more hours of work to do to catch up from taking the day off.

Four people in my department called off today.
Four. Out of the ten or so that were supposed to be here.
So disappointed with what (little) we got done today.

--Patrick

I'm the only person in my department for the second day in a row - everyone else is out sick. I can also only work 5 hours today, because anything more than that will put me above 40 for the week. The biggest problem with this is that there will be some checks required for various vendors today, and I know the bosses are going to wait until the very last minute, which means they'll just have to pay me some overtime this week.

Someone complained on Tumblr that the article for Little Rock, Arkansas didn't mention the Little Rock Nine, and how this means the town has no history and racism and blah blah.

So I added the LR9 to the notable people section, pointed out that the town's article has no history in it because that's its own article (Timeline of Little Rock, Arkansas), and next time they see something wrong with Wikipedia could they kindly FIX IT INSTEAD JUST OF WHINING ABOUT IT PLEASE.

Or at least complain about the issue BEFORE using it as ammunition for your wider point, fuck.

I don't know why this upset me so much.

That it started with tumblr should have been your first clue to run away, run far, far away.
They seem to be a member of a community I'm part of that, while having a Tumblr presence, is decidedly not Tumblr-y. Their wider point had some merit, but pointing at a fire to complain about arsonists instead of putting it out or calling the fire department first is a special kind of ugh.

GasBandit

Staff member
Unplug old G700 mouse with the broken M4.
Plug in new replacement G700 mouse.
Only M1-M3 work.
Go to check settings.
MFW new, identical mouse detected as "HID-compliant mouse" despite G700 drivers already being installed on system.

I am, apparently, an idiot. For the last week or so my mouth has been hurting like hell. I attributed this to my back teeth (which, admittedly, really need to be pulled), until yesterday when I realized that my gums were hurting around all of my teeth, not just my two remaining wisdom teeth, and that the pain was actually worse around the non-wisdom teeth. Now, my gums had been getting sensitive for a while, so I've recently been flossing a lot more frequently, and paying more attention to my gums when I brush, and using a fluoride mouthwash. Last night, however, the pain was so bad that I was curled up in the fetal position, alternately hoping that the pain would go away, or that it would get so bad that I just passed out. This is when I started examining the choices I make in my life. Like the fact that my mouth has done this every year for a few years now, always at this time of year. You know... citrus season, when most of what I eat throughout the day is satsumas. While I drink copious amounts of coffee. Sucking on an antacid took care of the pain almost immediately, and this morning, since I haven't had any oranges today, my mouth is fine.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, I sympathize. I have a high pain tolerance, but an abscessed wisdom tooth had me rolling on the floor once. It's right in your head, and there's no shaking it off.

And now I can expect to be on a soft-food diet for at least the next 4 days, as I will have the two abscessed wisdom teeth (and potentially an abscessed, failed, uncrowned root canal) removed tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully they'll write me a prescription for some good pain killers.

And now I can expect to be on a soft-food diet for at least the next 4 days, as I will have the two abscessed wisdom teeth (and potentially an abscessed, failed, uncrowned root canal) removed tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully they'll write me a prescription for some good pain killers.

Or at least, that's what I was prescribed when I had a broken wisdom tooth removed. It wasn't too bad though so I never filled the prescription.

GasBandit

Staff member
I was given Hydrocodone (generic Vicodin) that time I got my big toenail ripped out. That was like 10 years ago. I still have pills left. Sometimes I have taken one (or even half of one) when I had really bad back pain or something similar, but I'm always super cautious with it... it knocks me right the hell out. As in, the first time I took it... I barely made it from the bathroom to my bed before I pretty much lost consciousness.

Man, Americans and their pain killers. I got Ibuprofen for getting my wisdom teeth pulled, and...ibuprofen when I broke my shoulder....and ibuprofen for a herniated disc. For some reason Belgian doctors really like them their ibuprofen :p

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, Americans and their pain killers. I got Ibuprofen for getting my wisdom teeth pulled, and...ibuprofen when I broke my shoulder....and ibuprofen for a herniated disc. For some reason Belgian doctors really like them their ibuprofen :p
It varies from doctor to doctor. When I bashed my knee to uselessness on a brick stair and needed an MRI, they told me just to take OTC ibuprofen. And right now for this painful infection I'm fighting off right now, they prescribed Keflex (antibiotic)... and told me to take OTC tylenol for the pain.

Both of the above hurt worse than the toenail removal.

I'm on some super strong ones and they aren't enough hence the direct injections :(

I'm hoping that the pain clinic can go in and fry my nerves.[DOUBLEPOST=1449710291,1449710252][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is it really strong ibuprofen? I think it's kind of cruel to keep people in pain when there is a prescription to help them.

Is it really strong ibuprofen? I think it's kind of cruel to keep people in pain when there is a prescription to help them.
Don't really remember how much I was supposed to take. Shoulder didn't really hurt that much so I do know I kept'm, because it's hard to get 600mg tablets around here. Any other time, I've only ever been given 400mgs :(

On the other side, the docs here still throw antibiotics around like candy.
My doctors are careful about prescribing those to me as I have allergies to Penicillin.

I want to be clear, it isn't easy to be prescribed pain meds in the quantities that I am. I had to suffer for years and try one thing before being moved on to the next level. I have my diagnosis for a decade before a biologic was tried. It's taken years to get the direct injections and I could wait months or years for RFA.

My doctors are careful about prescribing those to me as I have allergies to Penicillin.

I want to be clear, it isn't easy to be prescribed pain meds in the quantities that I am. I had to suffer for years and try one thing before being moved on to the next level. I have my diagnosis for a decade before a biologic was tried. It's taken years to get the direct injections and I could wait months or years for RFA.
I'l gladly keep my amount of painkillers and my amount of pain, thanks. My chronic headaches are mostly manageable with the medicinal use of things we're not allowed to use medicinally over here *cough*

They tend to not pass them out like candy anymore, in my experience. The surgeon gave me a total of 4 oxycodone pills to take home after having my fallopian tubes removed, just in case I needed it. I was given a huge bottle of 400 mg ibuprofen to manage the pain after the first day.

really that isn't legal medically for you?
Nope. Three different parties have legalisation in their program, but the biggest party in our current government very literally said "never, not ever, with us in government". Au contraire, they stopped the long-standing "acceptance" policy where everything under 3grams was ignored, and went for a zero tolerance War on Drugs style thing. They may be 20 years behind the times, but what do you expect from conservatives :p