[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
So yesterday the company accountant (who is kinda-sorta-but-not-really my dotted line boss) starts badgering me about a spreadsheet for the company owner... in THE MIDDLE of a PC install. I mean, here I am, in a salesman's office, installing their new computer and making it so they can't do ANY work until I get done... and he expects me to recall numbers I haven't looked at in months, and had to look them up even then? Can I HAVE 10 minutes to finish this up first please? "But (the owner) is waitin'!" Dude, I saw, he sent an e-mail asking for it. That is not the same as standing around in the hallway tapping his foot. Christ.

So yesterday the company accountant (who is kinda-sorta-but-not-really my dotted line boss) starts badgering me about a spreadsheet for the company owner... in THE MIDDLE of a PC install. I mean, here I am, in a salesman's office, installing their new computer and making it so they can't do ANY work until I get done... and he expects me to recall numbers I haven't looked at in months, and had to look them up even then? Can I HAVE 10 minutes to finish this up first please? "But (the owner) is waitin'!" Dude, I saw, he sent an e-mail asking for it. That is not the same as standing around in the hallway tapping his foot. Christ.
But he's the owner! Any communication from him must be the highest priority thing in the world! If you don't get that out to him immediately, the sun will burn out and we'll all be doomed! Sorry GB, I've been in that position far too many times. It sucks.

And now, on to another money rant. This time it has nothing to do with my wife inexplicably blowing money on useless crap and everything to do with the fact that her employer, a global conglomerate that runs pretty much everything everywhere in one way or another, cannot fucking pay people what they're supposed to be paid when they're supposed to be paid because rather than going to ADP or some other major payroll company, they handle it in-house and the people they get to do it are fucking morons. You know, I have a big long explanation of how Siemens screwed up this time... but this is the minor rant thread and I'll just leave it at "this is the third pay period in a row that they've screwed up my wife's pay."

GasBandit

Staff member
But he's the owner! Any communication from him must be the highest priority thing in the world! If you don't get that out to him immediately, the sun will burn out and we'll all be doomed! Sorry GB, I've been in that position far too many times. It sucks.

And now, on to another money rant. This time it has nothing to do with my wife inexplicably blowing money on useless crap and everything to do with the fact that her employer, a global conglomerate that runs pretty much everything everywhere in one way or another, cannot fucking pay people what they're supposed to be paid when they're supposed to be paid because rather than going to ADP or some other major payroll company, they handle it in-house and the people they get to do it are fucking morons. You know, I have a big long explanation of how Siemens screwed up this time... but this is the minor rant thread and I'll just leave it at "this is the third pay period in a row that they've screwed up my wife's pay."
And given that you're upset about it, it's safe to say it's not an error in your favor.

Precisely. Though, even if it were an error in our favor, I'd still prefer no errors at all so I could write up a month-to-month budget without having things constantly thrown off balance because her company can't figure out how payroll works than an error in our favor. After all, the biggest problem with errors in your favor is that they're corrected, and they're corrected much more quickly than errors not in your favor are corrected.

When I tell you there's something wrong with the computer and I want you to bring it to me, don't ignore me because you think you know whats wrong and bring me the monitor. You have no idea what you're talking about. And when you bring it down to me, please don't put it on the screen of the 52" TV I have sitting here waiting for a mounting bracket to be up in the lobby. It's generally not good to do things like that.

Dear users, if you want an email account for your business, please use a business email account. We offer them. They're still free. You still don't have to pay anything more than you would pay for a personal account, which is free, so you would pay nothing. Do not set up a personal email account for your business. They are not the same thing. They may look the same, they may feel the same, hell as far as I know they may even taste the same, but they are not the same. You will not see a difference until something horrible happens and when it does it will be far too late for us to help you. You will be angry with us, and we will be sorry that we can't help you, but it will be your own damn fault and nothing you can say will make us suddenly be able to help you.

I got to spend 8 hours in a "workshop" today that covered material that would have been better presented had it been given out on paper (maybe 20 pages worth of reading), and then discussed individually as needed. AND as an extra bonus, most of the material was presented the same way it would have been to a group of high-school students. Such a waste of resources. If I was going to waste a normally productive day sitting on my ass, I would have much rather been at home.

On the plus side, I do have wine.

*mumble, grumble* I planned on going to bed early tonight, but no...no. That just can't happen, can it?

No, because Quotemander Prime sent back a red-penned copy of my novel. This is after already having fellow writer/editor friends go through it. But geez, you wouldn't know it with all the marks and notes he's made.

And I flipping love it. Seriously, I pretty much agree with everything he's noted or commented on. He's pointed out little plot things that never crossed my mind and pointed out really, really stupid grammar or punctuation errors that I can't believe I missed.

That said, I'm hooked on going through all his edits and fixing them in my own copy of the manuscript.

Damn you, you reptilian editor!

WELP

i don't think my AC is working. I've had the whole thing off recently because..well..I haven't needed anything from it. But it's actually gotten kinda warm and humid so I wanted to turn it on for a bit, mostly just to get some circulation going...but so far nothing.

Might want to check to be sure that the filter hasn't frozen over. I've had to use a blowdryer just to melt the ice so that air could pass through again.

Also check for clearance around the intake - make sure it's not clogged by dust, debris, weeds etc.

If it sounds like I'm insulting your intelligence, I'm sorry - I went through the same thing last summer, several times. Most of them were stupid shit I could have solved myself. One time it was low freon though.

Ugh. Posting on my old, back up lap top.

I got my 'new' lap top just last year. Sine then it has been in for service twice, tomorrow will be the third as it's screen has given out. This laptop ain't great, it over heat easily and can hardly play youtube videos but it never gave me trouble until WELL after my three year warranty expired.

So irked.

Also, a lot of the ey on this laptop don't work well anymore so excuse my typos. :)

M

makare

This isnt really a rant, im actually pretty amused.

My mom and I are shopping online. She is going to buy me stuff. So she says "im going to send you the shopping cart so you can see if this is what you want" so she links it to me on facebook. I was like whaa... I clicked it. I said "I cant see your cart mom". she said, "i linked it on facebook" i said "i know but i cant see it because it is your basket. it's tied to your computer" "but i can see it!" "yes because it is on your computer" "why?"

I laughed so hard.

fade

Staff member
My wife's department was told they could not accept free food. The city enforced it strictly, too. One of her friends was severely reprimanded over a Coke.

Was there a policy against discounts? I always liked the idea of a PD/FD/Senior/Military discount of 10% or so. Of course, I never wound up opening a cafe and now I hate the idea of running a restaurant.

In all my years of banking I've been accustomed to gifts. We're not allowed to accept anything over $100 but I've gotten alot more than that over the course of a few months.

Gifts cards, free breakfasts, free lunches, discounted dinners, presents on major holidays etc.

Of course I also have never requested those favors/gifts but took them with a smile none the less.

ElJuski

Staff member
As a teacher, the only gift I get is parents shitting down my throat. Also discounts at all sorts of fuckin places.

GasBandit

Staff member
I used to know a guy in the Dallas PD who would not-so-subtly happen to leave his wallet out on the table as he prepared to pay for dinner. With his badge pinned to it. Seems he got a lot of discounts.

Me, I get perks sometimes I guess. The occasional free food that an advertiser brings to the station to get us to talk more about their restaurant, etc. Sometimes when I conspicuously kick ass, the boss lets me get something on trade from one of our clients... for instance, last time I hauled their asses out of the fire in a "we'd have been dead if you weren't here" kinda way, I got my eyes lasik'd at no cost to me. Damn I'm glad I don't need glasses anymore.

Heh. I get all the free coffee, soda, milk, and fruit juice I can drink while at work, and a fairly nice little discount at AT&T on my wireless bill which is currently being applied to the service plan on my iPhone. I could have gotten an even bigger discount, but I would have had to have bought a Windows Phone 7 device; and a discounted gym membership through the consulting firm because one of the former partners owns the gym (but he's my brother in law so he's actually covering it himself and I get it for free, plus he's paying for a personal trainer, hour long sessions twice a week). I guess I can't really complain to much about not getting free stuff, what with all the lunches/dinners the consulting firm picks up and all the social events where they offer to pay for the first round of appetizers and drinks, or they bring in pizza and multiple cases of free beer. Of course, I have some pretty significant social anxiety so I don't attend most of the social events, but at least they offer them.

fade

Staff member
I've gotten a couple of gifts from students. Never Americans, though, you cheap bastards. Always international students.

fade

Staff member
So, the geeky brainy webcomics went from making fun of popular events (like Valentine's day or the Super Bowl), to making fun of people making fun of popular events (because making fun of popular events is too mainstream now). Next year, they'll make fun of the people making fun of people making fun of the popular events.

I have been trying to get in touch with a "professional" on the East Coast for... over two weeks now. No phone calls or e-mails have been returned. Why am I trying to talk to this person? Because I want to work out there. The region is desperate for personel, and this guy is the gatekeeper. And I cannot, for the life of me, get in touch with him. You would think when you are begging for people to come and work that you would be a bit more willing to talk to a lowly peon. Apparently not so much. Sheesh.