[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
I have been trying to get in touch with a "professional" on the East Coast for... over two weeks now. No phone calls or e-mails have been returned. Why am I trying to talk to this person? Because I want to work out there. The region is desperate for personel, and this guy is the gatekeeper. And I cannot, for the life of me, get in touch with him. You would think when you are begging for people to come and work that you would be a bit more willing to talk to a lowly peon. Apparently not so much. Sheesh.
Never in the history of Halforums has a post sounded more like it was discussing prostitution.

Slickback's busy, yo!

You guys are awesome, seriously. Having my profession likened to prostitution and other unsavoury behaviours is hilarious. Others in my field may disagree, but they'd be wrong.

I was going to go with something along the lines of "Well, if you can't make it as a 'professional', I'm sure there's a fair market for 'amateur' work as well..", but it's far too late now.

ElJuski

Staff member
So, the geeky brainy webcomics went from making fun of popular events (like Valentine's day or the Super Bowl), to making fun of people making fun of popular events (because making fun of popular events is too mainstream now). Next year, they'll make fun of the people making fun of people making fun of the popular events.
I hope it's because those very same people realize how obnoxious they are being snickerfucks at the dead horses known as "Valentines Day SUCKS" jokes.

I am going to go insane if I don't get some more project work to do around here. Today I had 3 spam emails to delete and one email that actually pertained to my job, but I couldn't do anything with it except send out the "initial response" email as the person failed to provide even the most basic of information. That was it. That was the whole of my workload for the day. I've literally spent the rest of my time reading the forum and reddit and trying not to go insane.

ElJuski

Staff member
Once upon a time I was nervous and flinched when my kids bucked and fake-punched me. These days I don't even bat an eye (and can continue on with what I was reading to the class as I'm chastising and/or subduing!)

My left eyelid is twitching like mad. Started a few weeks ago, and has been getting steadily worse since then. Realized today it was because my monitor at work was far, far too bright. Then had to Google the model number to find out how to turn it down because it's a "smart" display. Finally starting to get better, but it has a long way to go.

GasBandit

Staff member
My left eyelid is twitching like mad. Started a few weeks ago, and has been getting steadily worse since then. Realized today it was because my monitor at work was far, far too bright. Then had to Google the model number to find out how to turn it down because it's a "smart" display. Finally starting to get better, but it has a long way to go.
I get that alot when I'm not getting enough sleep.

If you are going to go through the trouble of requiring that any virtual images to run on your product use the same baseline OS at the very least you should MAKE SURE THE VIRTUAL IMAGES YOU HAVE PROVIDED WILL ACTUALLY WORK ON YOUR PLATFORM!!!!

Does the side of the prisoner transport van say "U-Haul" on the side? Then why the FUCK would you assume that I would help this guy move his shit out of the house that he's been evicted from and living illegally in?

M

makare

at work tonight i asked some woman what TYPE of card she was using and she told me it was none of my business.

Well it kind of is lady YOU called ME. criminy.

This is in stark contrast to the people who want to give me their full card nubers and cvv and pin and social etc.. im like people.. come on.

at work tonight i asked some woman what TYPE of card she was using and she told me it was none of my business.

Well it kind of is lady YOU called ME. criminy.

This is in stark contrast to the people who want to give me their full card nubers and cvv and pin and social etc.. im like people.. come on.
Cancel the transaction. Without the card type you can't proceed. (Actually you can, as you can tell the type by the first digit, but you don't have to tell her that. ;))

figmentPez

Staff member
My head is filled with happy thoughts; but my body is filled with pain.

The two together are very effective at keeping me from sleep.

M

makare

Cancel the transaction. Without the card type you can't proceed. (Actually you can, as you can tell the type by the first digit, but you don't have to tell her that. ;))

No see i wasnt putting through the transaction and i didnt need to know if it were a visa or a mastercard i need to know if it were debit, credit or prepaid or what. it was for a transaction that had already happened even. this woman was jut being a pain in the ass! also i only get to see the last four digits of the card anyway so its not like i could steal her information with the type of card...

GasBandit

Staff member
So I found out today that chocolate covered strawberries fill me with a nigh-irresistible urge to vectorspew.

M

makare

My constitutional rights class this semester sucks. I usually love them but this one has degenerated into an hour long conservative rant by our resident dipshit. I can't take it. I honestly wonder what planet this man lives on because it is definitely not Earth. Oh yeah people are to stupid to vote but they are definitely smart enough to own a deadly weapon. Brilliant.

aaaaah!

figmentPez

Staff member
ARGH! This is one of the things I hate about trying to rebuild my life right now. I've got more energy than I have in a while, but most of it goes right back into trying to take care of my health. What little time and energy I've got left often feels like less than I had when I didn't know what to do about being sick. It's not a bad thing, if I can look at it long term, but for right now it means I don't have much interesting going on...

So, when something interesting and exciting happens, it's so damn hard to be patient and wait on the schedules of the other people in the world who have full lives that keep them busy with commitments they've already made. I don't usually notice the glacial pace my life moves at, because there's a lot of routine and I rarely look forward to finding out anything unexpected. When something, or someone, unexpectedly interesting pops into my life, it really highlights just how little else I have going on with which to distract myself.

Being impatient is only going to make things less likely to turn out well, but it's really hard to throw myself into a distraction when what I need to be doing most right now is resting. Kind of hard to rest when you're anxious to see where things are going. I need to grow up and learn patience one of these days, but I feel overwhelmed by the amount of life lessons I've been presented with lately.

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

That is my head against the desk, not a gun. I'm just going through a suckiness today. I'd like to stop sucking.

figmentPez

Staff member
Surprise realization of the day: I fear being rejected as a friend far more than I fear romantic rejection. All my nervousness interacting with a young lady recently hasn't been from worries she won't find me attractive; I'm worried she won't find me interesting. I couldn't figure out why I was stressing so much over a girl I haven't developed any romantic feelings for, but it finally hit me.

I feel so bad for my wife right now, though the situation is pretty funny to both of us. She had a... procedure... done last Friday that required that she be anesthetized, using a general anesthetic to completely put her out while the doctor did her work. The procedure itself was quick, easy, and a lot less involved than anticipated, so the doctor updated her prognosis on the amount of pain/discomfort that my wife would be in from "a moderate amount of pain for the next couple days" to "minor discomfort for a couple hours." Which was true. The actual recovery from the procedure went fine, she didn't have any major pain or discomfort, and everything cleared up within a couple hours. Unfortunately, the next day she woke up and felt like she'd had the most rigorous workout she's ever been through. Her entire upper body hurt like she'd been lifting weights and boxing the day before, and she had no idea why. She was concerned that it might be a reaction to the procedure and that something might be wrong, so we looked it up online. Turns out, it's a fairly common reaction to the general anesthetic that they used, called Post Operative Myalgia. Hurts like a son of a bitch for 2 or 3 days and then goes away. Nothing you can do to reduce the pain aside from taking tylenol/ibuprofen and resting and they aren't sure what causes the condition, but it's nothing to worry about.

Hysteroscopy, D&C scraping, and polypectomy. The polypectomy and scraping wound up being unnecessary, as the previously discovered polyp had gone away on its own and, in the words of her OB/GYN, she was "pristine" internally. She was supposed to be in the OR for 90 minutes, but within 30 minutes of being wheeled in, her doctor was sitting next to me in the waiting area telling me that she was out in recovery and had a clean bill of health, so the Vicodin that she'd been prescribed probably wouldn't be necessary.

GasBandit

Staff member
My allergies are really cranking up. My sinuses are starting to make my brain not good go. I considered taking some allergy meds this morning but I couldn't figure out/remember if they had a side effect of drowsiness, or wakefulness. I didn't take it because of it. Now I'm at work bobbling around in a snotty fog, and when I get home tonight the little woman's going to say, "why didn't you take your allergy meds?" and I'm going to have to give her that dumb excuse, and I probably won't take it tonight for the same reason - I couldn't afford to be sleepy during the day, and I can't be kept up at night or tomorrow will suck even worse.

So yeah, been almost a week since Nurse Cutie and I hooked up. We haven't been able to set up a night out due to her working hours (She works when I'm out and I work while she's out, and when she is home, she is at home alone with her son). It seems the only time she'd really have free is right before work (around 8-9pm) for about an hour or so, which is about the only time I'm free to meet up with her too but that's barely enough time (not trying to brag but I like to enjoy myself). She also has weird days off, which usually ends up with her needing to run family errands.

On the upside though, we pretty much text all night (while she's at work) and she's getting more interesting the more we talk(text).

Dating a nurse is shitty like that. My last ex back in the Level was a nurse. Her hours coupled with my hours meant only coupling once every 2 weeks it seemed.

M

makare

My allergies are really cranking up. My sinuses are starting to make my brain not good go. I considered taking some allergy meds this morning but I couldn't figure out/remember if they had a side effect of drowsiness, or wakefulness. I didn't take it because of it. Now I'm at work bobbling around in a snotty fog, and when I get home tonight the little woman's going to say, "why didn't you take your allergy meds?" and I'm going to have to give her that dumb excuse, and I probably won't take it tonight for the same reason - I couldn't afford to be sleepy during the day, and I can't be kept up at night or tomorrow will suck even worse.
I take zyrtec and I havent had any side effects of either type.