[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Dave

Staff member
My wife found a piece of paper with a woman's name and a phone number in my medicine bag that I kept in my briefcase when we went on our vacation to Colorado. I had to get on a flight a few days earlier from the rest of my family due to work. So now she's jumping to conclusions.
I don't expect any of you folks to know me well enough to believe that while I can't provide an explanation (I honestly have no idea how it got there other than something so trivial I don't remember any more) it could still easily be an innocent one. But I do expect my wife of all people to know me well enough.
The other day I came in and there was a note on my desk that said nothing but "xxxW1feyxxx". It was on my keyboard. I had no idea where it came from. I called my wife and asked if she left a note in my lunch and she said no. Came to find out that a lady I work with thought I left it on HER desk for some reason, so she put it back on my desk. She has no idea how it got on her desk.

I thought one of the maintenance men had a crush on me or something.

The other day I came in and there was a note on my desk that said nothing but "xxxW1feyxxx". It was on my keyboard. I had no idea where it came from. I called my wife and asked if she left a note in my lunch and she said no. Came to find out that a lady I work with thought I left it on HER desk for some reason, so she put it back on my desk. She has no idea how it got on her desk.

I thought one of the maintenance men had a crush on me or something.
That's just someone that can't remember their password.

Dave

Staff member
So the last few days have been interesting. Some are rants, some are not.

First, Sammi looks like she's going to have to have gallbladder surgery. Which means her diet is going to change radically. Which means MY diet is going to change radically. Low fat, high fiber, no caffeine, no pork, no fried foods. I'm going to get healthy whether I like it or not.

Second, I've been sort-of promoted at work. And by sort of I mean that it's a lateral move, but to an area where I will actually have a chance to advance. In fact, advancement is pretty much guaranteed. Why is this a rant? Because while nothing is really changing I still have to move my office and everything in it and I can't tell ANYONE so it's driving me nuts!

Sounds almost like you're being tested. And pushed.
Also, if my buddy's experience is to be believed, you might have to change how you look at nuts/seeds, too.
Not having a gallbladder just means you can't eat a bunch of fat/protein in one sitting, I believe.

--Patrick

Wait what?? I had to have mine out years ago... no one told me about dietary changes! (That said, I've had no complications from not changing anything, but still.)

Dave

Staff member
Wait what?? I had to have mine out years ago... no one told me about dietary changes! (That said, I've had no complications from not changing anything, but still.)
Interesting. The doctor is telling us she'll have a lot of changes or she'll have stomach pains or diarrhea.

And I actually spelled that right!

This ass-hat on Twitter and other social media sites is blasting our hotel with insults because we made a mistake and charged his credit card rather than the Expedia card. We made a mistake. We openly admitted it. And we refunded his card. He continues to insist that we did not, and is calling us thiefs and liars. Honestly I just want to find the guy and beat the shit out of him.

The Internet says that you can eat normally after you're healed, you just have to be careful that you don't overindulge in fatty foods, because your body will no longer have that reserve buildup of bile to give you that emergency boost when it is needed, so some fat will just slide on through untouched, Olestra-style, and give you that diarrhoea* you were talking about.

--Patrick
*Totally correct alternate spelling.

Interesting. The doctor is telling us she'll have a lot of changes or she'll have stomach pains or diarrhea.

And I actually spelled that right!
Americans. It's 'diarrhoea' or if you really want to go for broke, keep the diphthong: 'diarrhœa'.

(I kid of course)

Sorry to hear the news, Dave. Invasive surgery's never a fun go. I knew a fellow whose gall bladder had (I'm not clear on the details) become inflamed and clogged, and also grown attached to his liver, so not only did they have to take the gall bladder out, they had to scrape sticky bits of it off of his liver.

YAY INTERNAL ORGANS

I knew a fellow whose gall bladder had (I'm not clear on the details) become inflamed and clogged
If your gall bladder doesn't get the chance to empty itself occasionally, the bile gets stagnant and stones can form. No gall bladder = no stones, but also no ability to handle sudden spikes of fat in the diet.

--Patrick

The feels are hitting me pretty hard today.I got my passport a few days ago and am worried I'll never be able to look at it without thinking about the reason I got it, and that it was too late.
You opened a deluge of joy into his life, support for him - and then his family. And you brought us all tightly together to commemorate him.

You didn't -none of us- got to Finland, but man, you were so far from being too late. You couldn't have known, none of us knew it would be as sudden as it was. "Vex not thyself at the course of things, they heed not thy vexation."

You had better look at that passport and think about all the forumites it does enable you to visit, and the forumite who inspired you to galvanise this whole community.[DOUBLEPOST=1386697448,1386697400][/DOUBLEPOST]
If your gall bladder doesn't get the chance to empty itself occasionally, the bile gets stagnant and stones can form. No gall bladder = no stones, but also no ability to handle sudden spikes of fat in the diet.

--Patrick
I suppose that was poorly placed: I'm not clear on why it grew onto the liver.

Perforation was a funny injury to describe/handle when I did medic scenarios because I always got this mental image of body parts that were perfectly perforated like some paper doll sheet; just perfectly so for easy, shaped removal.

My mother-in-law had her gallbladder out almost 10 years ago. She still gets pain and vomiting despite (supposed) dietary changes. According to her she eats a very bland diet, but something tells me that isn't quite the case.

Her GI doctor says there is no logical explanation except she is probably not following the diet he prescribed after surgery. Honestly, I have wondered if she has an unaddressed mental health issue that is affecting her physical health. She is never well or at least she is never well for long. And this isn't a rant about her. I like her a lot actually. I've just noticed these things over the years.

14 hour work day on 6 hours of sleep, busiest day of the week with statistically the most irritable guests of the week, by myself. Let's do this

Well, to be fair, since I have a couple hours between the conference call I had to to do and when we have to open, this is definitely happening.
1386712600426.jpg

And some of my childish staff decided that having an icing sugar fight in the kitchen was the best way help me relax during this hellishly long shift. Now I gotta put on my cranky pants...

So I posted a reply on facebook today to the original post. Yet it was interpreted as being directed at the poster just above mine. Understandable I guess, kinda funny I suppose, but didn't need all the drama associated with it. I mean c'mon all I said was "Shut the fuck up." Silly overreacting mother in law.

Today I am officially proposing Bhamv's Rule for Translation Feedback.

If I do a translation for you, and you feel there were some areas I could've done better, I am happy to hear your feedback. Being able to accept valid and constructive criticism is part of being a professional. I would thank you for pointing out where I was deficient, and helping me improve.

However, if it turns out in the end that you were talking out of your ass and my translation was fine to begin with, then I get to kick you in the face.

My wife wants me sleeping out on the couch tonight. We got into a fight because I missed an opportunity to go enjoy a manager/supervisor outing with my coworkers (which we'd been planning for a week) because she decided it wasn't priority and planned a bunch of other things around it that would keep me from making it.

Did you provide her a head's up a week in advance? I've gotten my 6 outings with buds booked until the end of the month all in advance.

Did you provide her a head's up a week in advance? I've gotten my 6 outings with buds booked until the end of the month all in advance.
Yup. I did. Which she acknowledged with a very passive aggressive "oh.... ok."

And 6 outings in a month? Fuck. You live the good life.

My wife is well trained.

If you honestly provided her a week's head's up and she is making an issue about it, find proactive and constructive ways of reminding her and if it still continues....

- Jot them on a calender.
- Plan a week in advance if you can. 3 days at the worst.
- Remind her every 2nd day. Do this proactively with comments like, "What day is it again? Thursday? Well shit. Can't wait for the weekend. I'd like to spend time with the family. Oh, don't forget, I got BLA BLA planned on X time. Do you want to do something special on OTHER DATE?"

Honestly, I do whatever the fuck I want. That's why I got married to the woman but I always try make it up to her. Love is selfless but a bro needs to enjoy life.

My wife is well trained.

If you honestly provided her a week's head's up and she is making an issue about it, find proactive and constructive ways of reminding her and if it still continues....

- Jot them on a calender.
- Plan a week in advance if you can. 3 days at the worst.
- Remind her every 2nd day. Do this proactively with comments like, "What day is it again? Thursday? Well shit. Can't wait for the weekend. I'd like to spend time with the family. Oh, don't forget, I got BLA BLA planned on X time. Do you want to do something special on OTHER DATE?"

Honestly, I do whatever the fuck I want. That's why I got married to the woman but I always try make it up to her. Love is selfless but a bro needs to enjoy life.
Tried to remind her. She snapped at me every time I brought it up. "I KNOW about your THING!"

Well, that's the problem. There's obviously an issue there. While deserved or not merit it's own rant thread.

Tip of the day. Your work computer is not your personal computer. Don't use your company email like it is, and don't store personal files on it.