[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

...and 9 times out of 10 the computer has not been turned off in a month.
Running record right now at work is 110 days.
"My computer is behaving slow and wonky"
(type "uptime" command, get above result...which absolutely smashes the previous record of "only" 45 days)
"Uh, I think I know what your problem might be."

--Patrick

Third week of class. Homework due thats worth 5% of my grade. I forget to hand it in. I email my teacher later that day with the answers I have, explaining the situation and he basically says tough luck. I know its my fault but I worked hard on it and think this is gonna be a tough class anyways. I want to drop it and just start over next semester but then I couldn't graduate on time. Fuck this.

Third week of class. Homework due thats worth 5% of my grade. I forget to hand it in. I email my teacher later that day with the answers I have, explaining the situation and he basically says tough luck. I know its my fault but I worked hard on it and think this is gonna be a tough class anyways. I want to drop it and just start over next semester but then I couldn't graduate on time. Fuck this.
I'm in the same boat. Professor doesn't know how to set up an online class and basically hid away the fact that stuff needs to be by Thursday (not Sunday night, like every other class I've had this year) so half of what I've submitted so far is worth Zero. It's only a pittance of points but FUCK!

I am stupid and always end up being in charge of things I had no intention of being in charge of, and now I am running the junior derby league and trying to play catch up from the last committee head who didn't have time to do the stuff she was supposed to do and I kind of want to explode in fiery rage.

A family in our building has a little dog. This can get you evicted if the owners find out. Today I heard a thwap sound in the hall like someone whipping a belt and the dog yelping. Then the family left the building with the dog.

I'm tempted to put a note under their door that says something along the lines of, "I know you have a dog. I haven't told the apartment complex because I'm a good neighbor and you have kids, but if I hear you whipping that dog again, I'll call animal control, the police, the leasing office, and immigration. So be nice to your fucking dog."

What's stopping me is that I don't think anyone in that home could read it and my Spanish capacity is only a hair above Babelfish.

"I know you have a dog. I haven't told the apartment complex because I'm a good neighbor and you have kids, but if I hear you whipping that dog again, I'll call animal control, the police, the leasing office, and immigration. So be nice to your fucking dog."
Sé que tienen un perro. No le he dicho a nadie porque soy un buen vecino y porque ustedes tienen hijos, pero si oigo otra vez que golpean a ese perro, llamaré a control de animales, la policía, a la oficina de arriendos y a inmigración. Así que traten bien a su maldito perro.

I don't know what would be the best translation for "leasing office"

Sé que tienen un perro. No le he dicho a nadie porque soy un buen vecino y porque ustedes tienen hijos, pero si oigo otra vez que golpean a ese perro, llamaré a control de animales, la policía, a la oficina de arriendos y a inmigración. Así que traten bien a su maldito perro.

I don't know what would be the best translation for "leasing office"
You are awesome. Office of apartment/rent like you have works perfect. Thank you.

I don't know if you want to put immigration in there, unless you really want to sound racist.
I had another response up, but it was just excuses. You're right, I made an assumption and it was wrong. Perhaps working in a field involving immigration for the last 5 years has colored my perceptions. We do have a lot of illegal immigrants in my area, but there's no way to know who's who. I do know that most around here are very nice people.

This one isn't and apparently it struck an awful nerve in me. Of the list of people I'd call, probably animal control and the leasing office are the only ones. I didn't intend to offend anyone. I just wanted it to sound severe and I was angry after hearing that little dog's cry. It sounded pretty painful to me. But two wrongs don't make a right.

I've reached my limit on rude assholes this week. I'd really appreciate it if they would stop popping up in my life.

And that goes double for asshole family members.

I would like to continue staying up so I can watch anime, or play a video game for a few minutes, or read a damn book, but I have work tomorrow, the first day in the special kind of work week that involves going in early and staying late each day, so I'm not going to do any of those things.

I had gotten a little over excited about signing up for all the classes I need for my degree and maxed out my load to 16 units this semester, the minimum for full-time student status being 12... and now I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew and produce reasonable-quality work and also have time for out-of-school paid projects. Particularly with my oil painting class, which lasts for 6 hours every Thursday and demands as much time through the week on homework in addition to being a bitch to set up and clean up the supplies before my next class 15 minutes after painting ends. I'm seriously considering dropping the class, but worried what a W would do to my future options or to my financial aid eligibility. But producing high quality work for my portfolio may be more important.

Edit: I double checked the financial aid obligations which mandates I must pass no less than 70% of attempted units per year. For this one semester, so long as I pass the other 13 units, dropping the one class will have me at 81% passed. Now that I understand what the work load looks like for that class, I should be able to plan for it better in a future semester and all my expensive painting supplies should last just fine for up to a year or two. So I should be fine? Still feels worrying.

Last edited:
I'd say to go to the aid office - they should know more details than your advisor or go to the bursar. It didn't matter for my loans, but it did matter for my grants.

I say you can do that load if you make your mind up to do it! How many weeks do you have left? Not too many. YOU CAN DO EEET!

GasBandit

Staff member
Brain dead saleswench tried to e-mail a 1080p tv commercial today (three times, in separate e-mails to different recipients), and 7 hours later is complaining to me about "Why is nobody getting my e-mails? I've hit send and receive like a hundred times!"

Because this morning, princess, you tried to flush an elephant down the toilet, then pooped on top of it, and have been jiggling the handle all day.

fade

Staff member
Talk to your advisor. Seriously. They'll know all about your financial aid.
I was a prof for 8 years, and an advisor to many students. I can't say I knew anything about their financial aid. I could tell them who to talk to, but not about the details.

Ironically, I need to go down to Financial Aid myself. I got a letter from Direct Loans informing me about a student loan I never signed for or even asked for. Haven't done any counseling or signed my master promissory note ether. I also don't have any info on it on the government student loan website.

Do colleges file the paperwork for you automatically if your financial aid is currently insufficient to pay for the entire year?

Not unless they want to get in serious trouble for it. If you can prove you never authorized them to seek said aid, then you may not have to pay it back.

--Patrick

Boy, there sure is nothing I like more than getting ready to crawl into a nice, cozy bed to read a book and having 5 shots ring out right outside my window. Oh wait... actually, there's a whole god-damn lot of things I like more than that. Thank the gods we live on the third floor and not the ground floor.

Oh hey, and here comes the chorus of 3 or more cop cars and at least one ambulance. And yes, I did call it in. From the hold time when I did, I'd say I wasn't the only one.

And the PD couldn't find the shooter, as evidenced by the fact that we're now being buzzed by the sheriff's department's helicopter.

Last edited: