[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

BananaHands

Staff member
My friend is constantly asking for advice while giving me vague/incomplete/exaggerated information and never follows my advice anyway. I feel like she's just playing with me with hypothetical scenarios poised as real-life and I'm finding myself caring less and less and increasingly half-assing the thought I put into my responses.

My friend is constantly asking for advice while giving me vague/incomplete/exaggerated information and never follows my advice anyway. I feel like she's just playing with me with hypothetical scenarios poised as real-life and I'm finding myself caring less and less and increasingly half-assing the thought I put into my responses.
Turn it around on her.

"So, I have this friend who will not stop asking for asking while refusing to divulge the real nature of the problem, and then ignores my counsel anyway!"

Of course, if she's really oblivious she'll say, hilariously, "Ughhh isn't that so annoying? Like, I have this one friend who... <new advice scenario for you>"

I really hate it, when waiting for a package, that it spends a day travelling around a city that it isn't intended for delivery in. Package arrived in one sorting facility Saturday, traveled across town to a second facility, only to be sent from the second facility back to the first one today.... I'm thinking Fedex isn't quite on the ball today.

Cajungal

Staff member
I should have posted here instead of taking it out of Dave. There are a lot of people in my life that I see from time to time--friends of friends mostly--who are driving me crazy. I'm tired of hearing "I'm not racist/sexist but..." I can't wait til Jake graduates so we can move.

I should have posted here instead of taking it out of Dave. There are a lot of people in my life that I see from time to time--friends of friends mostly--who are driving me crazy. I'm tired of hearing "I'm not racist/sexist but..." I can't wait til Jake graduates so we can move.
I try not to judge those people, because I'm sure in their heart they really don't understand why what they're saying is sexist/racist, but it can be challenge. Educating them out of it is a challenge, especially depending on their age and the context of where they live and how they grew up, but that's also a reason to try to be patient. These people can even be generally perfectly pleasant, and enjoyable and then they drop a gem like, (actual quote, sadly) "They say Islam means peace but Muslims sure don't seem to be peaceful."

I use the term "small dose people." I can handle them in small doses.

Cajungal

Staff member
I use the term "small dose people." I can handle them in small doses.
That's pretty much it. And luckily I don't have to see them much--one of the benefits of friends-of-friends. :) They're just one part of why I'm sick of this place. But I am sick of this place. At least this week. I don't know what I think I'll escape to; there are idiots everywhere. Maybe I just need a change of scenery.

That's pretty much it. And luckily I don't have to see them much--one of the benefits of friends-of-friends. :) They're just one part of why I'm sick of this place. But I am sick of this place. At least this week. I don't know what I think I'll escape to; there are idiots everywhere. Maybe I just need a change of scenery.
I'm going to buy a tropical island, you and yours can come stay there. I may slowly descend into madness and become a supervillain, and turn the island into a lair, but you'd get free rent.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm going to buy a tropical island, you and yours can come stay there. I may slowly descend into madness and become a supervillain, and turn the island into a lair, but you'd get free rent.
Throw in a pool, and I'll be your assistant. I have a prosthetic hump lying around.

Dave

Staff member

Had you not said anything, I'd not have thought anything about it. No harm, no foul.

She does not want advice. People never do. They just want you to listen.

GasBandit

Staff member
I would agree with you if she did not explicitly say that she wants advice.
Maybe she's known people who would only bother to listen to her if she made them think they would have an opportunity to talk/tell her what to do afterwards.
I really hate it, when waiting for a package, that it spends a day travelling around a city that it isn't intended for delivery in. Package arrived in one sorting facility Saturday, traveled across town to a second facility, only to be sent from the second facility back to the first one today.... I'm thinking Fedex isn't quite on the ball today.

Could have been worse....

I used to have one that showed a domestic package going back and forth between (I think) NY and Paris multiple times before being forwarded on correctly, but I can't find it now.

If it's a customer or credit card database I know some Russian hackers who'd be happy to help you understand it if you send them a complete copy.

You can also ask generic questions on dba.stackexchange.com, as long as you have a thick skin and are willing to work for it.

If I weren't so swamped with work I'd be willing to look at the schema and commiserate with you.
Oh I figured it out. I'm just appalled that the "database genius" we hired (my boss' words) doesn't understand the database he made.

To add insult to injury, he made it quite poorly in the first place.

Now a coworker of mine, who is doing basically grunt work, has demonstrated he knows more about DBs than our 'genius' but... he's stuck doing grunt work, not getting benefits, and being underpaid. :\

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Going from ecstatic to completely empty in a day is exhausting. I look back on my life and realize how few decisions were truly mine. Things that once mattered mean nothing now, and goals that once meant everything to me seem out of reach and not worth chasing. How can I tell my family how I feel? They're a "stick it out, suck it up" kind of people. We deal with things; it's what we do. My SO listens, but everyone I love is so damn independent that I'm not sure how necessary I actually am sometimes. Nothing I do seems to really make a dent, ever. Am I focusing too much on myself or too little? When I try to give, it often ends up being way too much. If I don't, I feel selfish and worthless. I just want to go back to being even, at least a little more. Doctor referred me to a therapist. Still have the number, thinking on it.

A few months ago I was contacted by my doctor (who I already dislike) about coming in to meet with a nutritionist, because I made an offhand comment about wanting to improve my diet. Because I don't have any insurance, they informed me that there would be no charge for the first meeting. I figured I had nothing to lose so I went.

The "nutritionist," as it turns out, was not actually a nutritionist. She was a sales rep for a protein shake company that also had a website for counting calories and logging your food intake. Of course there was a subscription cost for the website and the shake mix was ~$100 per can, all for something I could do with an internet connection and some protein shakes from my local grocery store. I politely declined and walked out, thinking that was the end.

Today I get a call from the doctor's office. They want $92.00 for that little adventure, which is about $25 more than the usual fee they charge for a visit.

That's the last straw for me. Time to look for a new doctor (assuming I get some insurance at some point in my life).

A few months ago I was contacted by my doctor (who I already dislike) about coming in to meet with a nutritionist, because I made an offhand comment about wanting to improve my diet.
My doctor keeps wanting me to go to a nutritionist due to my most recent test results, which were eyebrow-raisingly high. I had the same tests done through work (but this time didn't cheat on my eating the night before) and they came out fine. So no, I haven't scheduled that meeting.

In your case, barring previous history, I would contact your doctor to let him/her know what happened when you went to that meeting. Your doctor might not actually know they are being used as a shill, and this could be something he/she wants to know.

--Patrick

I bought some good tickets to a Giants game. "Good" as in "damn near on the field" good. I told my dad, who is also a huge Giants fan. His immediate response is to go to his computer and search Google until he finds similar tickets for a bit less than I paid through the official website, and then tell me all about how I should have gotten the tickets someplace else.

Thanks, Dad. Good to know your first reaction to anything I do is still to tell me what I did wrong.

I bought some good tickets to a Giants game. "Good" as in "damn near on the field" good. I told my dad, who is also a huge Giants fan. His immediate response is to go to his computer and search Google until he finds similar tickets for a bit less than I paid through the official website, and then tell me all about how I should have gotten the tickets someplace else.

Thanks, dad. Good to know your first reaction to anything I do is to tell me what I did wrong.
Reply with "Oh, maybe I'll see you there!"

I have what looks like a bite from a tick with a small bullseye rash forming around it. FUN STUFF!!! Went to the doctor to get antibiotics to treat a possible lyme disease infection. So much fun.

I'm by myself at work today and I'm bored! Bored, bored, bored!!!
Ima takin' a nap.
I could entertain you with...

uhm...

jokes... about

Hm.

Guy goes to the doctor for his routine physical exam. He gets into the room and the doctor has him undress, and starts to look him over.
"Well. I can tell you you're gonna have to stop masturbating."
And the guy says, "Why, doc?"
"Because I'm trying to give you a goddamn physical!"

GasBandit

Staff member
Guy wearing nothing but saran wrap boxers goes into the therapist. Therapist says, "Well, I can clearly see yer nuts."

Dave

Staff member
How can you tell there's a Steam sale and Dave has all next week off from work? Easy!

'File record segment ### is unreadable.'

GasBandit

Staff member
Dear Firefox (left): Fuck you and your shitty font rendering bullshit that sucks a big fat penis. Sincerely, Chrome (right).

fonts.PNG