[Music] Metal Thread

Oh dear, I phrased that quite badly, didn't I? Sorry for the confusion. I am NOT in a band.

I meant that I had purchased 19 of the 800,000 items that had been sold. I contributed, man!

One of my fondest discoveries of this year:

Acquired the rest of their discography on Friday, and I'm just enamored with the band. Top flight stuff.

What a helluva show this was in Frankfurt, Iron Maiden AND Anthrax. I still have what's left of the shirt. 30th anniversary remaster of Persistence of Time.

I’m always surprised when I hear these “older” bands are still touring. But I suppose if the Temptations are still going, well...

—Patrick

Yeah, older bands have been relatively raking it in, too. Nostalgia is big, and, of course, it helps that some of those bands, like Satan, Cloven Hoof and Cirith Ungol, have put out KILLER material recently.

Older bands that enjoy making music, if they can monetarily wise, keep making music. American Media just sucks at distributing it. Other than authoritarian dictators, I'd love to have an apt or small place in Brazil where I could enjoy there metal scene.

Yeah, that would be sweet, although I'd go to Germany instead, a good bit of my faves are from there.

I was starting to get really acquainted with the local (Ottawa) scene last year, but now, of course, there IS no scene...

Yesterday, Gamma Ray, my favourite active band, held a virtual show out of Düsseldorf for their 30th anniversary. It was broadcast on World Wide Live. It lasted nearly two hours and spanned their entire career, they even had their original vocalist, Ralph Scheepers, now of Primal Fear, for a few songs. It was a fantastic show, the band is as tight as ever and the light show was on point, but the lack of an audience, both here and at the venue, made for some weirdness (as well as a funny moment when Kai Hansen threw his guitar pick in the pit, as is tradition, only to see it fall to the floor with an "oh, right" expression on his face).

What kinda perplexed me was that, despite this being a career-wide retrospective, four of their eleven albums were completely unrepresented. I mean, I get that choices must be made and I didn't expect all my favourites to be played (the show would've lasted three or four hours then), but it felt strange to have nearly half their output completely ignored.

Still, awesome show, would watch again, and World Wide Live seems to work very well as a platform. Would recommend.

Yeah, that would be sweet, although I'd go to Germany instead, a good bit of my faves are from there.

I was starting to get really acquainted with the local (Ottawa) scene last year, but now, of course, there IS no scene...
Heh, Germany would be nice too. I remember taking the train up to . . I'll have to look for the ticket .. . to see Metallica/DIO. Stretch *best mate I had in the army* was 6'4 or taller, the further north went, the more normal height he was :D

Attachments

See, this is where I get very old school. I love old metal like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, etc. For the MOST part I can't get into screaming/cookie monster vocals. It's why I like some of the "middle" bands that people tend to shit on like Avenged Sevenfold. Their vocals and guitar licks hearken back to the Iron Maiden days.

I liked Jinjer when she was singing but when she went ful shouting I disliked it - even though I DO appreciate the ability to sing like that.

Having said all that, I do love me some Nekrogoblikon.

Oh, and don't call Ghost metal. They are pop with a metal persona.
Cookie monster is the perfect description!

Is Metallica metal? It's in their name, and I listened to them all thru the 90s

Most people would say so, yes.

--Patrick
They're trying to get it back, maybe? I can't remember where I saw it, but when 'Sandman' premiered and was playing on MTV *they used to play videos kids!!* the chyron was pretty much "this rocks but it isn't metal"

GasBandit

Staff member
Most people I know would classify Metallica as metal, but light, beginner metal.

Yesterday though on the radio, they played Floyd's "Wish you were here" back to back with "Enter Sandman," so I guess now Metallica is classic rock.

I guess now Metallica is classic rock.
Dude, I’m already hearing “Black and Yellow” done as elevator music. The release cycle for music is collapsing and approaching that of movies. You’re probably going to start seeing K-Tel commercials for “Old Town Road” and “Bad Guy” soon with a reminder to order early so the 4-6 weeks for delivery will still arrive in time for the holidays.

—Patrick

Most people I know would classify Metallica as metal, but light, beginner metal.

Yesterday though on the radio, they played Floyd's "Wish you were here" back to back with "Enter Sandman," so I guess now Metallica is classic rock.
The black album was the beginning of it all. They started chasing $$$ and shorter radio friendly stuff. The black album was good stuff, HELL I saw them at the beginning and ending of that massive tour. All of the stuff before that was definitely speed/thrash. RIP Cliff Burton, you were the farkin' heart and soul of that band.

As a Veteran of the Psychic Wars, I approve this message.
p.s Also as a survivor of the last Godzilla attack.
p.p.s. I wish the Ebony butchers knife would quit whispering to me.

I've been curious about that new BÖC album (I'm passingly familiar with the band), I take it it's a good one?

As a Veteran of the Psychic Wars, I approve this message.
p.s Also as a survivor of the last Godzilla attack.
p.p.s. I wish the Ebony butchers knife would quit whispering to me.

Okay, yeah, this is amazing. Took the plunge on the album, I absolutely love it. Now to explore their discography in greater depth (this is my first proper album by them, I only had a Greatest Hits before).

I've had Static-X Project Regeneration on almost constant rotation in my car. I solidly put it up there with Wisconsin Death Trip. Doesn't hurt that that I donated and my name *along with a bajillion others* is in the credits, heh, booklet.