[Music] Metal Thread

A whole existence spent praising your God, but always with one wing dipped in blood. Would you ever really want to see an angel? And in the end, I think it must be about faith, and if faith is a choice, then it can be lost - for a man, an angel, or the devil himself.

Been on a real Royal Hunt kick lately. They're a Danish band, a keyboard-heavy, really melodic, proggy power metal act. Check it out:

Discovered them in University nearly 20 years ago now with the above album, then another one, Moving Target, and then never explored further. NO idea why. I loved them both. Started remedying that. :)

The song is called "Sick Like Me," by In This Moment.

The dancer, however, is Diana Bastet. She is a heavy metal belly dancer. Now there's four words you might not have thought you'd find hanging out together in public. If the thumbnail isn't enough of a clue, it's the sort of video you might not want to watch while at work, though it's debatable whether it's riskier than the band's official video for the song.

Here is a link to an (unfortunately very ad-heavy) interview with her.

--Patrick

Last edited:
One of Sam Dunn's documentaries (I think it was Global Metal) featured a heavy metal belly dancer, I think in one of the bonus features. Might have been her.

Out of curiosity, Simfers, IF they're circling your cup of tea, have you been watching Machine Head's Facebook . . . podcasts?

Well, I'm not on Facebook, so no. ;) Have I been missing something?

Machine Head's a band I've heard OF but not actually HEARD. I know their latest album got SAVAGED on Encyclopedia Metallum, though.

From my understanding of their sound, I don't think they'd be in my preferred zone (really more of a trad/power metal kinda guy, with small bits of folk, thrash and melodeath thrown in), but I'll likely give 'em a chance at some point, if only to see what all the fuss is about.

Well, I'm not on Facebook, so no. ;) Have I been missing something?

Machine Head's a band I've heard OF but not actually HEARD. I know their latest album got SAVAGED on Encyclopedia Metallum, though.

From my understanding of their sound, I don't think they'd be in my preferred zone (really more of a trad/power metal kinda guy, with small bits of folk, thrash and melodeath thrown in), but I'll likely give 'em a chance at some point, if only to see what all the fuss is about.
Well any form of a Wikipedia can be it's own poison, but the lead singer/a guitar player and the bass/other vocals lived close enough that they've effectively been quarantining in each others homes, and have been putting on weekly/hour long shows from the leads basement. If you were a fan of their sound, it's been fun. A fan of the band, they've been fun.

*edit* But at the end of the day . . . . 2 guys promoting their band, and apparently beers, for the last year from his basement, to be able to hit the studios/road when the plague is over . . . Metal?/NotMetal?
And he has a decent basement studio setup.

Last edited:
Those guys still have it, I just wish that they would have had a song or two with John Bush. Sound of White Noise had some killer tracks.

*Doesn't hurt for the Twin Peaks reference*

Was kinda hoping there'd be an isolated track of just the bells, but you can hear the guitar pretty clearly outside, too.

To be that closely in sync at that distance, the speakers for the guitar have to have been up there with the bells.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Twelve Foot NInja? Never heard of them. But god DAMN do I like this song! I love actually singing in my metal. One of the reasons I really like Avenged Sevenfold, even though they aren't considered that metal any more.

Time to go down that YouTube rabbit hole listening to a new band.