[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

AH-missed that. EITHER WAY-it's still LEAGUES above THIS monstrosity they made him wore-

-THIS monstrosity. Like...who the fuck thought this costume was good? Batroc the LEAPER looked better than Tasky in this series, WHAT GOES ON HERE?!
Yeah, that design is rough. Honestly, I think the MCU Taskmaster looks fine, except for the mask. I was hoping it would at least look more skull-like. Hell, they actually make paintball masks that look like skulls.

YES, the mask is the main problem, it looked too PLAIN for Taskmaster. My friend told me he was "The guy with the skull mask" but I could barely register it as a skull.

I for one always prefered the UDON design:

And there's always the MW Ghost balaclava skull design that would have also worked better imo...

fade

Staff member
Taskmaster has long been one of my favorite characters in Marvel. I like his not-totally-a-bad-guy gray morality, and I think his powerset is one of the coolest out there. Glad to see him get an MCU treatment.

figmentPez

Staff member
Saw this fanart:

And now I want an MCU holiday episode. "How the Guardians of the Galaxy Saved Christmas <Alien holiday Quill can't pronounce>", or something like that.

"I am Groot."

"Whaddya mean it's humiliating? You look great!"

"I am Groot."

"Quit your whining, just hold still while I get the camera."

"I am Groooooot."

"I don't know, how long does it take to grab a camera? I mean, I'm pretty sure I know where I left it..."

"I am GROOT."

"Well suck it up kiddo, you're the designated tree for The Xandarian Gathering Holiday this year."

"I... AM... GROOOOOOOOT!!"

"Fine, fine, you big baby. We'll put the decorations on someone else who can stand still and just let us drape lights and trinkets on 'em. Hey Drax, c'mere!"

Saw this fanart:

And now I want an MCU holiday episode. "How the Guardians of the Galaxy Saved Christmas <Alien holiday Quill can't pronounce>", or something like that.
There are 2, or at least they used to be on Netflix. One was with the Avengers, and the other one was just Rocket and Groot. Li'l Z used to like watching them.

figmentPez

Staff member
More holiday shennanigans: Agent Ross (Martin Freeman), working very hard on setting up Kwanzaa decorations, only to be told, very politely, by T'challa that they don't celebrate Kwanzaa in Wakanda, and then Shuri busting in and taking a bunch of selfies with the decorations, talking about "White boy bullshit", "He's a little confused but he's got the spirit", and smiling the whole time because it's a nice gesture but laughing because it's so wrong.

figmentPez

Staff member
Please tell me that another member of Monty Python has already roasted Terry Gilliam for his shit take on Black Panther.

Terry Gilliam on 'Black Panther': 'I Think the People Who Made It Have Never Been to Africa'

""I hated Black Panther. It makes me crazy. It gives young black kids the idea that this is something to believe in. Bullshit. It’s utter bullshit."... “They went and got some stylist for some African pattern fabrics and things. But I just I hated that movie, partly because the media were going on about the importance of bullshit."

Please tell me that another member of Monty Python has already roasted Terry Gilliam for his shit take on Black Panther.

Terry Gilliam on 'Black Panther': 'I Think the People Who Made It Have Never Been to Africa'

""I hated Black Panther. It makes me crazy. It gives young black kids the idea that this is something to believe in. Bullshit. It’s utter bullshit."... “They went and got some stylist for some African pattern fabrics and things. But I just I hated that movie, partly because the media were going on about the importance of bullshit."
So... he can’t have a differing opinion about a movie?

I'm bothered by the racist overtones he used to condemn the movie, and it's creators.
That was my reaction as well. It appears that his biggest criticism of Black Panther is the idea of an advanced African nation, and that it’s a fantasy that could never happen in the real world. I’m sure he meant well, but he came off as a complete racist to me.

That was my reaction as well. It appears that his biggest criticism of Black Panther is the idea of an advanced African nation, and that it’s a fantasy that could never happen in the real world. I’m sure he meant well, but he came off as a complete racist to me.
Meanwhile his depiction of a dystopian nation in which an HVAC repairman who fixes the crumbling machinery of the city and disappears like Spider-man, and is the leader of resistance against a tyrannical regime, is totally fine.

Ruth E. Carter, the costume designer for Black Panther, did a lot of research into different cultural motifs from the numerous cultures in Africa, to represent the ancient culture of Wakanda as unspoiled by Colonialism. She explains her research process here: https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-02-21/looking-marvel-ous-designing-costumes-black-panther

Terry Gilliam is piece of shit. He's repeatedly said stupid shit about #MeToo, and whined that "You can't have a comedy troupe of six white Oxbridge lads anymore, you need one of this and one of that to be acceptable. I'm supposed to be ashamed of being a white male, so I tell people I'm a black lesbian now."

He's not quite Morrissey or Eric Clapton racist, but he's up there.

This somehow doesn't look terrible? Huh.

EDIT: And the lines between the official MCU and Sony's Spider-man adjacent stuff like Venom is getting veeeeery blurry. So it definitely belongs here, even though it technically isn't MCU. But it is. Sorta.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
This actually looks really decent. A whole movie about the origin story of a villain and a deep tease into the Sinister Six.

Members of the Sinister Six (in whatever form it has taken as there were several):

• Vulture - MCU
  • Doc Oc - Sam Raimi
  • Mysterio - MCU
  • Electro - Garfield
  • Sandman - Raimi
  • Shocker - MCU
  • Venom - Raimi
There have been others teased like Rhino, Kraven the Hunter, and the Tinkerer - whom I despise as a villain.

In the MCU they already have Vulture, Shocker, and *sigh* the Tinkerer for sure. They have hinted at Prowler and Scorpion. Morbius could be a villain, though I suspect he will be played much more as an anti-hero and wouldn't fit the Sinister Six very well. Same goes for Venom. And the tease for Carnage at the end of Venom doesn't matter, since he would NOT work with others and would never join the SS. They just need those and some combination of Electro, Rhino, Kraven, Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Sandman, and/or Lizard. That's not counting the c-list villains they could use.

Mysterio could have worked if he weren't dead.