[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

That's perfectly fine, this is a rantable thing. I don't see many movies in theaters, this year may be one of my heaviest in years, 4. I saw GOTG2, will probably see SMH, will see Thor, and will see Last Jedi. I usually go see the Pixar offering as one of a couple of movies, but I'll just wait for the bluray for Cars 3. I just can't justify spending more on a trip to the theater than I would spend on the disc itself.
I used to look at it like that, but for whatever reason, my behavior these past few years has been that if I don't see the movie opening weekend, it's years before I see it. A lot of them aren't worth owning and even movies I have fun at, like Doctor Strange, lose a lot on the small screen.

Even then though, this has been a heavier year than normal for me too, enough that getting the theater membership card made economic sense for once. Between what we've seen and what we will see, probably 11 movies (though a couple will just be me). That's more than I've seen in theaters in two other years combined.

Honestly, even if you avoid trailers, it's near impossible to avoid their spoilers.

I would've preferred he be left as a surprise in the movie, but the trailers spoiled Spider-Man in Civil War. Same for Hulk in Thor: Ragnarok. Which is typical for trailers, of course. But then it's unavoidable because of social media and basically any news site who will put giant headlines and pictures "SPIDER-MAN IN CIVIL WAR, YOU GUYS!" (I think that was CNN's actual headline)

I used to look at it like that, but for whatever reason, my behavior these past few years has been that if I don't see the movie opening weekend, it's years before I see it. A lot of them aren't worth owning and even movies I have fun at, like Doctor Strange, lose a lot on the small screen.

Even then though, this has been a heavier year than normal for me too, enough that getting the theater membership card made economic sense for once. Between what we've seen and what we will see, probably 11 movies (though a couple will just be me). That's more than I've seen in theaters in two other years combined.
That's close to twice as many as I've seen in the past 3 years. It might just be the area I'm in, but I tend to get really irritated at other movie patrons. Shut up, sit down, watch the movie. Get off your damned phone, SHUT UP, and watch the movie you just paid 10 bucks to see and let me watch it without having to hear you or your child that can't sit still for 2 hours. No, I'm not moving just before the movie starts so that your entire 8 person group and sit on one row together, I came early enough to get the seat I wanted, and this is where I'll stay to watch the movie I just paid 10 bucks to watch and drink my 12 dollar watered down coke. This is basically the last three movies that I went to watch, the first group was for Rogue One and Civil War, second and third groups were for all the others.

As soon as an interesting movie is announced, I swim in an isolation tank for the months leading up to the premiere.

Once you get used to the hallucinations, it's not so bad.

That's close to twice as many as I've seen in the past 3 years. It might just be the area I'm in, but I tend to get really irritated at other movie patrons. Shut up, sit down, watch the movie. Get off your damned phone, SHUT UP, and watch the movie you just paid 10 bucks to see and let me watch it without having to hear you or your child that can't sit still for 2 hours. No, I'm not moving just before the movie starts so that your entire 8 person group and sit on one row together, I came early enough to get the seat I wanted, and this is where I'll stay to watch the movie I just paid 10 bucks to watch and drink my 12 dollar watered down coke. This is basically the last three movies that I went to watch, the first group was for Rogue One and Civil War, second and third groups were for all the others.
Yeah, I'd steer clear if that kept happening to me, too. I think the worst that happened this year was I had to shush two old people who seemed intent to converse through Colossal, and they stopped after I did so.

Also helps that I try to push to see matinees as much as possible, today only being an exception because it's my wife's birthday weekend and she doesn't want to get up before noon. Matinee here is two tickets for $11, so it's not too bad.

Last edited:
Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I rarely run into problems with rude people in theaters. I was about to say a Maritimer thing, but even in Toronto, I can't think of any bad experiences.

And yet, the two I do remember were while I lived in Maine, both with teenagers:
1) A guy shoves past me to join his friends on the other side of my seat. Except he doesn't wait for me to move like I would have, say excuse me or anything. I actually stuck a leg out, blocked him, and asked him what the magic word was, embarrassing him in front of his friends.

2) A girl behind me who did NOT STOP TALKING during John Carter. Early into it, I spun around and politely said something like, "I hope you don't plan on talking through the whole movie." Which startled her. And it worked for a bit, then it started up again. So I tried being a little more passive aggressive, turned my head, and sighed loudly or cleared my throat. Which barely worked. Then she actually leaned forward and started talking to me, going on a long rant and apologizing for talking. Finally, more than halfway through the movie, when she didn't stop, I just climbed over the seats in front of me and sat down in the empty row there. In retrospect, I should've left and got management.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's not enough to just put your fingers in your ears, you gotta swish around so that all you can hear is the swishy swishy swishy noise of your eardrums trying to rupture.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I rarely run into problems with rude people in theaters. I was about to say a Maritimer thing, but even in Toronto, I can't think of any bad experiences.

And yet, the two I do remember were while I lived in Maine, both with teenagers:
1) A guy shoves past me to join his friends on the other side of my seat. Except he doesn't wait for me to move like I would have, say excuse me or anything. I actually stuck a leg out, blocked him, and asked him what the magic word was, embarrassing him in front of his friends.

2) A girl behind me who did NOT STOP TALKING during John Carter. Early into it, I spun around and politely said something like, "I hope you don't plan on talking through the whole movie." Which startled her. And it worked for a bit, then it started up again. So I tried being a little more passive aggressive, turned my head, and sighed loudly or cleared my throat. Which barely worked. Then she actually leaned forward and started talking to me, going on a long rant and apologizing for talking. Finally, more than halfway through the movie, when she didn't stop, I just climbed over the seats in front of me and sat down in the empty row there. In retrospect, I should've left and got management.
Depends on the movie for me.

When I saw It Comes at Night, the gaggle of fucking morons behind me would not stop whisper giggling through the whole fucking movie. So fucking annoying. I'd rather listen to people talking than the wsp wsp wsp wsp tee hee hee hee, wspwspwpsspspsp teeheeheeee. Drives me insane.

I think it depends on how it's happening. There was a group of women next to me at Wonder Woman that weren't talking the whole time, but would occasionally let out audible gasps, soft cheers, or a "Diana, no!" at times. It actually made me enjoy the experience more.

Constant talking, texting, or inappropriate talking make me want to slap someone.

For posterity's sake, I'll note I was wrong, there was no Spidey trailer before Baby Driver.

Just a bunch of shitty comedy trailers. Still added to 20 minutes.

It's not enough to just put your fingers in your ears, you gotta swish around so that all you can hear is the swishy swishy swishy noise of your eardrums trying to rupture.
I usually just rub the backs of my index fingers with the tips of my middle fingers to generate enough squeaky noise to drown out the rest.

--Patrick

It might be from having run a theater but I notice rude, talking, cellphone using people in my theater every time I go, to multiple different theaters all over Van. Went to see Baby Driver today and two people in front of me were on their phone constantly.

figmentPez

Staff member
I think it depends on how it's happening. There was a group of women next to me at Wonder Woman that weren't talking the whole time, but would occasionally let out audible gasps, soft cheers, or a "Diana, no!" at times. It actually made me enjoy the experience more.

Constant talking, texting, or inappropriate talking make me want to slap someone.
That reminds me of the time my friend saw Titanic in the theater. Someone sitting near them had brought their young son with them, and during the "draw me like your French girls" scene he heard the boy say "heh, boobies!".

GasBandit

Staff member

That reminds me of the time my friend saw Titanic in the theater. Someone sitting near them had brought their young son with them, and during the "draw me like your French girls" scene he heard the boy say "heh, boobies!".
My Dad told me a story of how, years and years back, when my grandparents took him and my uncle to a movie whose name escapes me but was a noir detective story... At one point the P.I. Protagonist is stalking the killer through the back alleys of the city, the music is building tension, time is running out, the gumshoe pulls out his snubnosed .38, AAAAAaand my 2 year old uncle says loud enough for the whole theater to hear: "Oooh he gonna pow pow somebody!" (in the same tone of voice one might say "oh, sweet, somebody brought donuts!") and the entire mood was ruined and the whole place broke up laughing.

Someone out there is going to take that review seriously and be outraged, right? Right? There's going to be at least one?

Oh yeah, and thank the gods that Cinemark has assigned seating now. That way you don't have to wait in line for two hours for the good seats.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh yeah, and thank the gods that Cinemark has assigned seating now. That way you don't have to wait in line for two hours for the good seats.
Cinemark definitely won me back from Premiere Cinemas with those assigned-seating recliners. Despite Premiere being practically walking distance from the house and Cinemark being 3 exits down the highway.

I saw Spider-man: Homecoming. It was good. I feel like it was not the earth-shattering, life-altering film it's being made out to be, though. It was... good.

Just got back from it. I liked it. It's clearly made by people who "get" the Spider-Man character and mythos, sort of like how Ryan Reynolds's Deadpool movie was clearly made by someone who got Deadpool. Tom Holland is a great Peter Parker, and the supporting cast were all good. The humor was nice as well, with some genuinely laugh out loud moments, as well as a deliciously meta credits scene. I also liked how there were plenty of references and easter eggs for Spider-Man fans and MCU fans to spot. For example, Phineas Mason and Mac Gargan show up as supporting villains, the bad guys use equipment that's recognizably based on stuff that's appeared in previous films (eg. Crossbones's gear, stuff from Ultron bots, etc), Donald Glover's Aaron Davis mentions he has a nephew, and so on. There's also a silver-haired girl who shows up prominently in the background in a few school scenes, gee I wonder who she could be a reference to?

If I had to pick some deficiencies, the climactic battle was resolved by the Vulture making a mind-bogglingly idiotic decision. Actually, a series of mind-bogglingly idiotic decisions. It's like he decided "No, I've been too competent a villain up to now, it's time to cartoonishly cause my own defeat". I also wasn't a fan of how the climactic battle was shot, in which it was a bit hard to make out what's going on at times. Zendaya also wasn't given much to do in the movie, which I think is a pity given how iconic her character is. They could've cut her character and honestly nothing would've been lost.

On the whole, a solid Spider-Man movie, probably the best one yet. It's probably not the best film in the MCU, but it's definitely good.

Finally, every single female character in this film is hot. Yes, that includes the elderly executive in charge of Damage Control.

If they include Ned in Infinity War, I'll watch that movie five times in theaters. Even the combined Avengers and Guardians will need a guy in the chair.

Does he twirl a previously invisible mustache and say, "MEEEYAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAA" while he does it?

--Patrick
I will agree with @bhamv3 in saying that the villain suddenly acts like an idiot at the end. Maybe not twirling a mustache bad, but it does seem like an odd choice.