[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

What I'm really looking for is a Nova movie. Maybe he'll be introduced in Infinity War after Thanos destroys Xandar in order to get the Orb.

And I definitely want Richard Rider, not Simon Alexander.

What I'm really looking for is a Nova movie. Maybe he'll be introduced in Infinity War after Thanos destroys Xandar in order to get the Orb.

And I definitely want Richard Rider, not Simon Alexander.
I'd expect to see Nova show up with the Guardians of the Galaxy at some point. They already have the Nova Corp.

GasBandit

Staff member
At first I was all like, "Marvel movies ugly? WTF are you talking about? They look great!"

And then I watched the video, and I was like, "Well... okay, I guess I see your point there."
It was something I often thought, but never really articulated myself.

It's hard to notice when it all looks like that, but Mad Max Fury Road does stand out.

But I guess it doesn't matter now since they're changing cameras anyway? This seems like laziness, which is sad because they can certainly afford to not be lazy.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's hard to notice when it all looks like that, but Mad Max Fury Road does stand out.

But I guess it doesn't matter now since they're changing cameras anyway? This seems like laziness, which is sad because they can certainly afford to not be lazy.
Well, and I think he touches on this, too: they wanted a build a cinematic uniformity across all the movies in the MCU. They wanted a visual cohesiveness, and in doing so, created a one-size-fits-all bland drabness.

For Civil War in particular, they did wash out the colors during the fights between the heroes. And to me, that makes a lot of sense: instead of the strong contrast between good and evil (bright and bold colors), the conflict was between two sets of heroes, both with good points about freedom vs oversight, responsibility, extraterritoriality, collateral damage, etc. The entire crux was about shades of grey between the heroes, so visually greying out the color slightly gives it that emotional tinge.

For all that it's muted, you still have a lot of primary colors sticking out and plenty of contrast.

Then there's this:

fade

Staff member
For Civil War in particular, they did wash out the colors during the fights between the heroes. And to me, that makes a lot of sense: instead of the strong contrast between good and evil (bright and bold colors), the conflict was between two sets of heroes, both with good points about freedom vs oversight, responsibility, extraterritoriality, collateral damage, etc. The entire crux was about shades of grey between the heroes, so visually greying out the color slightly gives it that emotional tinge.

For all that it's muted, you still have a lot of primary colors sticking out and plenty of contrast.

Then there's this:
Hmm, to me, that's not making your point. Your examples (excepting GotG) look pretty desaturated and washed out to me. Look at the grass and the golden buildings. Sure, I get the impression of the color, but it's a very drab version of the color. Like a grass colored t-shirt that has been washed too many times.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hmm, to me, that's not making your point. Your examples (excepting GotG) look pretty desaturated and washed out to me. Look at the grass and the golden buildings. Sure, I get the impression of the color, but it's a very drab version of the color. Like a grass colored t-shirt that has been washed too many times.
Even the GOTG one looks like it's being viewed through a dirty window, and the Thor one looks like it's been run through a sepia filter.

In answer to why not both, clearly Marvel is taking steps to unify the look of their films, whatever the reason for it , for me, it does not distract from the overall quality of Marvel films. I don't think that over saturating the color in these movies is necessary or would add anything to change what are already extremely enjoyable films.

In short the video was a neat little opinion piece, but I happen to disagree.

My only issue is the GoPro camera work. Really hope there isn't a lot of that in the movie.

Also, Spider-Man's underarm wings are back!

Is it just me or does it not really feel all that different from the other Spidey films? Yeah, Tony/Iron Man is there, but aside from that, it doesn't feel as wildly different as I'd expected. Style and tone wise, it feels a lot like the other films.

Okay, I'm not even a huge Spider-Man fan, but

HOLY
SHIT

Finally, a Spider-Man movie that well and truly gets it. Tom Holland looks like he was born to play Spider-Man.

Hmm...

Ok, yes, it's good, but for some reason I'm feeling a bit reserved. Sort of like what Nick mentioned... there doesn't feel like much to distinguish this movie from previous Spider-Man movies, or even from other MCU films. Maybe I've been spoiled by how new and refreshing Dr. Strange was, and how entertaining the new GotG trailer was, but this one just doesn't quite hit those highs for me.

I'll almost certainly still watch it and enjoy it though.

This Spidey cracks wise when he's fighting. Tobey Maguire didn't. He's sufficiently nerdy and awkward out of costume. Andrew Garfield wasn't. I look forward to this.

Is it just me or does it not really feel all that different from the other Spidey films? Yeah, Tony/Iron Man is there, but aside from that, it doesn't feel as wildly different as I'd expected. Style and tone wise, it feels a lot like the other films.
They largely showed the superhero stuff; I don't think they're going to do a lot of the more high school-y Peter Parker stuff that makes it more a teen movie in the trailers because that's not what people expect to see. Reminds me of after Spider-man 2 came out.

Sister: I liked it, but there wasn't a lot of action.
Me: Okay?
Sister: It's supposed to be an action movie.
Me: No, it's a Spider-man movie.

But that wasn't how it was advertised. That also said, previous Spider-man movies had Spider-man existing in a bubble, whereas here he's almost in Miles Morales's position of trying to prove himself in a world of older, more-established heroes. I really enjoyed the trailer and I'm hoping to really enjoy the movie.

At the least, for the sake of the MCU, this is a shot at having some more interesting villains besides Loki, because beyond music and color grading, I'm getting tired of the bland villains who might as well just be forces of nature as opposed to characters with actors playing them. Reading Ronan in the comics makes me see what a miss opportunity it was to make him so one-dimensional and then kill him in GotG, even if his one-dimensionality made him kind of funny in that movie.

Spider-man has a great rogues gallery full of interesting characters, and being able to bring that into the MCU should liven things up a bit, as well as make that world a little more dangerous.[DOUBLEPOST=1481283178,1481283116][/DOUBLEPOST]
This Spidey cracks wise when he's fighting. Tobey Maguire didn't. He's sufficiently nerdy and awkward out of costume. Andrew Garfield wasn't. I look forward to this.
Yeah, it's kind of picking what worked from both previous series and discarding what didn't. And I'm fine with that; it's not like there was zero merit in either other Spider-man franchise.