[Announcement] Mathias

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest factor in this is that through it all he still feels he did nothing wrong.
I believe this to be the single most important consideration here. "They did it first," is never sufficient to warrant justification by itself. If he legitimately thinks that what he did was excusable because it was "in response" and therefore he did nothing wrong, then he deserves the ban, as would anyone. If he was merely lashing out because he was in pain and decided to pass it around, well, then his case may need to be reevaluated after the proper interval.

--Patrick

So, I missed all the shit flying around, but I can't help but wonder: is whatever he did worse than all that happened in the final months of Chazwozel?

Any way, I also commend you Dave for sticking to your guns, making the hard choices and spending so much effort trying to keep the forums alive and working.

I'm not going to lie. I liked Mathias, but part of that was that I never got zapped by his sheep.

To the people that he went round after round with, he was a prick.
To the people that were on the sidelines, he could be a prick.

He added flavour and spice, the same way adding gravol to your date's drink makes things less nauseating. Inevitably someone plays the foil, the badguy, we had ours and it sucks to see him go. Will we see him again? no doubt. Will this happen all over again? No doubt.

At the risk of being huggy, we're all strangers in a family of nutbars. I like the family, I don't like some of the second cousins, and I'd probably do some of the first cousins.

This went off the rails quickly, much like the whole Mat incident, and for that I can only say

I still have yet to understand this mentality that this is some sort of personal banning. Mathias wasn't even banned for being the asshole he is, he was banned because he kept breaking the rules.

People keep making it out like it's the great silencing of someone with unpopular opinions, but it's not. Mathias dug his own grave by circumventing forum rules consistently.

S

SeraRelm

I still have yet to understand this mentality that this is some sort of personal banning. Mathias wasn't even banned for being the asshole he is, he was banned because he kept breaking the rules.

People keep making it out like it's the great silencing of someone with unpopular opinions, but it's not. Mathias dug his own grave by circumventing forum rules consistently.
No, the permaban was because his apology wasn't heatfelt.

This, this, this, this, and this.

S

SeraRelm

"Would you download a car?"
Really?
No. it was stated in the first post what the major contributing factor of this was. I don't need to repost it again.

I think Dave's position was less about the apology today and more about how Chaz-Mat kept breaking the rules and getting 2nd chances only to do the same crap over again. Chaz-Mat reminds me of the kid in school who would fail a test and blame everything from his parents and teachers to his textbook and alarm clock rather than to see his own actions did him in.

S

SeraRelm

*reading*
Huh, so 10 points, which is a week, and a 24 hour ban? Wouldn't the 10 points be a week ban, as listed?
*continues*

Man, I'm gonna say this, one day I hope I'm cool enough to have a lesbian defense squad...because that's fucking awesome.

S

SeraRelm

If you were banned for reasons with which I disagreed, I would defend you in a similar manner from what I believed to be inaccuracies.

Whelp, you guys can keep suffering under this delusion that Mathias didn't consistently break the rules of the board and that's what led to his ban.

Have fun with that.

So, what's the point of having rules if they aren't going to be enforced?
Hey man, if you want rules go to china or something. I don't need people telling me how to act on a forum that I don't pay anything to post on. If I go to your house and shit on your floor I'm just adding flavor is all. FLAVOR.

Don't you see that this is the most oppressive thing to happen in the history of ever? First they came for the mathiases but I did not speak up for I was not a mathias. somethingsomething THEN THEY CAME FOR ME and shit, ya know?

fuckin' IRC Illuminati pulling the puppet strings of the mods, amirite? WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

No but seriously, I wanna say this is the first non spam-bot ban...ever? And let's face facts here. This is in no way actually going to be a permaban. He'll apologize and say he was going through some shit, resolve to be a better poster, and things will be exactly as they've always been. World will keep on turnin' and the sky won't fall just quite yet.

I think the most upsetting thing from all this is that Chippy has become the voice of reason. Chippy.

I think the most upsetting thing from all this is that Chippy has become the voice of reason. Chippy.
I know, man. I think I agreed with Chippy for the first time ever, a record which goes all the way back to a spirited debate we had regarding the definition of prostitution.

Hey man, if you want rules go to china or something. I don't need people telling me how to act on a forum that I don't pay anything to post on. If I go to your house and shit on your floor I'm just adding flavor is all. FLAVOR.

Don't you see that this is the most oppressive thing to happen in the history of ever? First they came for the mathiases but I did not speak up for I was not a mathias. somethingsomething THEN THEY CAME FOR ME and shit, ya know?

fuckin' IRC Illuminati pulling the puppet strings of the mods, amirite? WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

No but seriously, I wanna say this is the first non spam-bot ban...ever? And let's face facts here. This is in no way actually going to be a permaban. He'll apologize and say he was going through some shit, resolve to be a better poster, and things will be exactly as they've always been. World will keep on turnin' and the sky won't fall just quite yet.

Um... that. :)

S

SeraRelm

Man, mr_thehun , look at some of the rules listed and think about all the illegal drug smuggling discussions, Icarus joking, sexist comments, trolling, etc that goes on. There was even a BNTL posted on the PVP thread. How are we even here to post?!

He's banned. We talked about it in the moderator area and while not unanimous, it was decided that it was better for the community in the long run.

I hate that I had to do this. As I said, I like and respect Mathias. I truly don't understand his motivations sometimes. The biggest factor in this is that through it all he still feels he did nothing wrong. I and the other mods do not agree with this.
Oh really Dave, that why you banned him... so this is just a coincidence i guess: I love this song...

I'M ON TO YOU!!!!

Still, I recall the last time he was this on edge and confrontational was when his wife was going through chemo. I think he, like any of us really, just lets his real life emotions effect his online personality.
Not like North Ranger who Chaz kept trolling until he reacted more harshly than needed because of real life misery!

I like Chaz. As I said in another thread, he even became the personification of the "harsh advice" part of the forums in my mind.

But still, I think he of all people should have understood that he was pushing on somebdy that is having a very very rough time. And that it's not that hard to apologize in such a situation to defuse the tension and try to be civil.

I don't know about the banning, but I do think he was being pretty assholish.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Thanks, Silver Jelly ... But I genuinely try not to come here and post when I'm down in the dumps due to cancer treatments. Or at the very least I try and keep my bitching corralled to that one thread instead. I know the kind of person I can be when I'm in pain and feeling miserable and angry at the world, and I try not to use the forum and its residents as my personal punching bag. The people who know me through-and-through... they take that heat on and I do my best to make amends when that dark cloud passes.

As for my part in this kerfluffle/clusterfuck/train wreck/shebang/whatever... I will acknowledge my share in it. Null and Mat were invited to a conversation with the mods to settle their debate, and once the situation appeared to have been settled, Mathias came in acting like he was picking a fight. So I acted on it. And I remind you, I was ready to let the whole thing slide and go to bed. The only thing Mathias would have needed to do was give it a rest.

Which he didn't.

So I gave him what was essentially a time-out to cool his jets.

It wasn't personal. I didn't act as anyone's pawn. I have no beef, vendetta, chip on my shoulder or deep grudge against Mathias. Did we have that fight - what, two years ago? Yes we did. We talked that over, and for me that was water under the bridge, yesterday's news. He got his week-long ban for breaking the rules, and the mods did everything we could to explain that to him calmly and rationally.

Now can you tell me he extended the same courtesy to us when he came back? Or did he rather try and set the house on fire rather than come back in?

Status
Not open for further replies.