[Announcement] Mathias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picard would never have made such an elementary grammatical error :p
I don't think he'd use smilies either, but that counters nothing.

Oh wait, he did in that one episode when he was getting time space madness. So, Picard would only use smilies if he was mentally ill.

I've got a friend who spent the past few months living in Peru and immersing herself in Spanish. She's been back for a couple of weeks now and is still having trouble getting back into English mode. It's pretty funny.

the last time I tried to ask my wife to pass me a tissue, I gave up and asked for it in Chinese instead. I just couldn't remember tissue.

I imagine teaching english all day is a good thing for you keeping up your language skills. I speak mandarin at work, I speak mandarin at home and for the most part my friends are chinese. Recently, my wife has been pushing me to learn more mandarin so the only times I speak English are here, when I see my ex-pat friends and play games, or when I call my mother.
Well if its any consolation, my co-worker speaks only passable english, the classroom a yi speaks none, my bosses speaks none, the children don't speak it well at all. Most other Chinese teachers save for one are terrible at it or don't speak it at all. None of the drivers or security speaks it and the girl I've been seeing recently speaks only Chinese.

If I were teaching Secondary/University, it might be a different story.

I keep up my language skills through constant reading. Once every month or so I'll hit the foreign book store and drop 500-700RMB on several books to keep up my language ability.

Ha! I'm trained as a translator and interpreter! Switching between languages is my professional skill!

Anyway, tree sex is gross, especially the splinters.

And Picard could pull off the no-hair look, could Kirk do that? Huh? Huh???

God, THIS is why I love Amazon kindle. I've read almost everything I can in the foreign language book store. I sank far enough to read twilight and came to the realization that it wasn't in English.

I think I've expanded my horizons of what I consider acceptable reading material since coming here.
Is the selection so bad? I know it's been a while since I've been to the Wangfujing Foreign book store. There's a foreign book store down here in Shanghai on Fuzhou lu that has a good selection. I haven't been left wanting quite yet. I mean, it's no selection like you would get back home but it's not bad all things considered.

Ha! I'm trained as a translator and interpreter! Switching between languages is my professional skill!

Anyway, tree sex is gross, especially the splinters.

And Picard could pull off the no-hair look, could Kirk do that? Huh? Huh???

But...can you speak the language of love?

North_Ranger

Staff member
I've got a friend who spent the past few months living in Peru and immersing herself in Spanish. She's been back for a couple of weeks now and is still having trouble getting back into English mode. It's pretty funny.
Heh, been there myself. It took me a few months to stop instinctively speaking with an Irish accent after I got back from my exchange year in Limerick. But because I still use English on a daily basis, there are still moments when I have to stop and think what some word or expression is in Finnish when I know completely well what it is in English.

S

SeraRelm

Oh, you use a Harry Potter reference when doing that? And you're the only one who hands them out?

Status
Not open for further replies.