[Gaming] Mass Effect 3 : It's here and thy ending is queeeeeeer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Jay I can tell by all the image macros that you really dislike the Mass Effect ending and think it's bad, so why did you use the word "queer" to describe it? "queer" doesn't mean bad, it is usually used nowadays to mean homosexual or really any sexuality that isn't hetero. And being not-heterosexual isn't a bad thing, so I'm just kind of confused by the word choice :)

also I looked up the dictionary definitions and I'm pretty sure you aren't a 1950s housewife so they don't really apply either :)

Hey Jay I can tell by all the image macros that you really dislike the Mass Effect ending and think it's bad, so why did you use the word "queer" to describe it? "queer" doesn't mean bad, it is usually used nowadays to mean homosexual or really any sexuality that isn't hetero. And being not-heterosexual isn't a bad thing, so I'm just kind of confused by the word choice :)

also I looked up the dictionary definitions and I'm pretty sure you aren't a 1950s housewife so they don't really apply either :)
I always read the thread title as meaning "peculiar" when I read it. I doubt that's how he meant it but meh. I can interpret it how I see fit.

I use and hear the word queer used in the peculiar/strange/weird sense all the time. That's how I read the title as well.

queer
1. strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint; unusually different; singular: a queer notion of justice.
2. of a questionable nature or character; suspicious; shady: Something queer about the language of the prospectus kept investors away.
3. not feeling physically right or well; giddy, faint, or qualmish: to feel queer.
4. mentally unbalanced or deranged.
5. Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
a. homosexual.
b. effeminate; unmanly.

verb (used with object)

7. to spoil; ruin.
8.to put (a person) in a hopeless or disadvantageous situation as to success, favor, etc.
9. to jeopardize.
10. charlie can't troll

I always read the thread title as meaning "peculiar" when I read it. I doubt that's how he meant it but meh. I can interpret it how I see fit.
No, the thread title is terrible, and anyone who interprets it in any way that isn't terrible is an insulting, mocking douchebag.

This is a pretty awesome review of the game.

I loled pretty hard at his Chobot impression.
1. Thanks for showing me that Angry Joe's videos are on Youtube. Blistered Thumbs runs like rocks in a blender on my computer for some reason.

2. Despite Joe's giving the series his seal of approval, while emphasizing that he does not give it to ME3 as an individual game, the review still turns me off from things, particularly all the DLC bullshit. Do I really want to reward/support that kind of behavior from a company? I don't. I'm curious about the series, but I don't want to be one of these people who just gives Bioware money for past goodness when they keep making bad decisions.

Kinda rad of them, mocking the people that just raised 50 grand for their charity.
Wait, I'm lost. If they took money from bioware, and let them influence how they talk about them, it's terrible. But... if they had fans raise money, and then don't let them influence how that makes them talk about them... that's also terrible?

Aaaand we (sort of) have a response: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/324/index/10089946.

There’s been a lot of discussion and debate about the conclusion of Mass Effect 3, so I thought I’d share my perspective with you here. I’ll avoid outright spoilers, but I’d still recommend finishing the game and experiencing it for yourself before reading this.

For the last eight years, Mass Effect has been a labor of love for our team; love for the characters we’ve created, for the medium of video games, and for the fans that have supported us. For us and for you, Mass Effect 3 had to live up to a lot of expectations, not only for a great gaming experience, but for a resolution to the countless storylines and decisions you’ve made as a player since the journey began in 2007. So we designed Mass Effect 3 to be a series of endings to key plots and storylines, each culminating in scenes that show you the consequences of your actions. You then carry the knowledge of these consequences with you as you complete the final moments of your journey.

We always intended that the scale of the conflict and the underlying theme of sacrifice would lead to a bittersweet ending—to do otherwise would betray the agonizing decisions Shepard had to make along the way. Still, we wanted to give players the chance to experience an inspiring and uplifting ending; in a story where you face a hopeless struggle for basic survival, we see the final moments and imagery as offering victory and hope in the context of sacrifice and reflection.

We've had some incredibly positive reactions to Mass Effect 3, from the New York Times declaring it “a gripping, coherent triumph”, to Penny Arcade calling it “an amazing accomplishment”, to emails and tweets from players who have given us the most profound words of appreciation we've ever received.

But we also recognize that some of our most passionate fans needed more closure, more answers, and more time to say goodbye to their stories—and these comments are equally valid. Player feedback such as this has always been an essential ingredient in the development of the series.

I am extremely proud of what this team has accomplished, from the first art concepts for the Mass Effect universe to the final moments of Mass Effect 3. But we didn't do it on our own. Over the course of the series, Mass Effect has been a shared experience between the development team and our fans—not just a shared experience in playing the games, but in designing and developing them. An outpouring of love for Garrus and Tali led to their inclusion as love interests in Mass Effect 2. A request for deeper RPG systems led to key design changes in Mass Effect 3. Your feedback has always mattered. Mass Effect is a collaboration between developers and players, and we continue to listen.

So where do we go from here? Throughout the next year, we will support Mass Effect 3 by working on new content. And we’ll keep listening, because your insights and constructive feedback will help determine what that content should be. This is not the last you’ll hear of Commander Shepard.

We look forward to your continued support and involvement as we work together to shape the remaining experiences in the story of the Mass Effect trilogy.

Thanks for taking this journey with us.

Casey Hudson

I'm not sure how it's even possible to say so little in so few words. Ah, well. I'd really held out hope that they had free ending DLC up their sleeve ready to be released at any time, but it seems my optimism might have been misplaced. This is probably every bit as much a greedy clusterfuck as I feared.

Just finished the game...

What a bullshit ending.

Super unsatisfying... All that time spent galavanting around the galaxy only for it to end like that? When the stupid catalyst was explaining the choices to me all I could see was red. I opted to destroy all synthetic life. God damn reapers and stupid effing catalyst... burn in hell. I felt bad about losing the geth, and I probably killed EDI in the process... but there's no way I'm going to take the risk of controlling the reapers... and I also didn't feel like changing everyone into some weird ass techno-organic synthesis life form doohickey.

And then there's the whole random Normandy flying around and crashing on some planet somewhere... and I only saw two crew members on board. Which begs the question... how the hell did Ashley end up on the Normandy when she was ground pounding in the trenches with me? I'll never figure it out. Apparently Shepard's "not quite dead yet" either as shown with that little scene with the N7 dogtag and the body taking a breath. Of course it was like 5 seconds so not a lot to absorb there.

Honestly I just feel the ending was a let down. I want to see what happened to my squad mates. What happened to the council? What about the fleet? What's going on on earth now? Will I ever see Ashley again or am I going to die an ignominious death alone in some pile of rubble? Too many questions... not enough answers. Even the little bit with the catalyst was unsatisfying. Why were the reapers the only way to continue the cycle? Why will synthetic life always take over the galaxy? What's all this ascension crap about? Blah blah blah? Too much unresolved stuff. I'm just bummed.

The game was really enjoyable until that last push up into the citadel... I guess we will see what Bioware's next move is (if any).

Really upset though. This plus the Dragon Age 2 debacle... I think I'm probably done supporting Bioware in the future.

Wait, I'm lost. If they took money from bioware, and let them influence how they talk about them, it's terrible. But... if they had fans raise money, and then don't let them influence how that makes them talk about them... that's also terrible?
I don't believe Penny Arcade gives two shits what their advertisers think personally. If they did Gabe wouldn't have ripped into SWTOR a few weeks ago. I just don't think it's cool to mock people who raised a bunch of money for their charity with the same ridiculous strawman that's been used by everyone who's detracted the fan movement. It's fucking annoying to see even if I don't particularly support that movement. Really kind of a classless move, but well, after the kind of shit they stirred after the dickwolves thing, not unexpected.

I will not pay for new endings and I'm going to move on with my life knowing that I won't trust Bioware with my money ever again. They've lost me as a customer.

As an aside, here's what former Bioware designer and lead designer of Dragon Age: Origins (as well as working on NWN and Baldur's Gate) before he quit the company because Bioware was no longer the same company he remembered thinks of the whole debacle:

I read one recent blog post where the writer basically said "the ending was awesome because it was just like a movie" and I think she was missing the point.
It is a game. Not a movie.
And more specifically, its a role-playing game. The players are *part* of the game. Part of the process of building and experiencing the game, much more so than with most other forms of entertainment.
Entitlement is really a right, for the gamer, because they have participated, actively, in the game itself.
Again, I can't speak to the actual ending myself, because I have not played it but in generally I'd say a Role-Playing Video Game Trilogy Ending should (try to) do the following:
1. Reward the player's choices throughout the series. The big stuff they did should be noted. They should *feel* like they had a unique impact on the world.
2. End on a positive note. This is really important for video games... life in general is full of shitty stuff happening all the time. When I invest a hundred hours into a game I need to walk away feeling like a hero.
When you waste a couple hours of a person's life with an artsy/depressing movie or short story or even a novel, it is more forgivable because the time spent is less. And presumably the consumer knew what they were going into when they started. Certain directors create certain styles of movie. Certain writers write specific types of fiction.
On the other hand somebody playing an epic role-playing video-game trilogy is going to *expect* to be the hero and save the universe. That's why they are playing the game. When expectations don't match reality, disappointment is created.
It might be an artistic/creative move to go with a different style of ending but I feel its the wrong choice, especially for a videogame *trilogy*. Make your middle game bleak if you want to, but end the series on a high note.

You know, depending on your choices in ME2 (from what I've read and understand), for some people it was already the one that ended on a bleak note. So then they expected to get to right things and instead, it's still all bad.

And I'm totally on board with what he says despite the fact that I'm someone who really gets into a downbeat book or a movie where things go very badly for the characters, even in the end. If I played Dragon Age: Origins and it pulled the kind of shit people are talking about with ME3, I'd have been really put off, because that's not what the game was building toward.

A note on the rumors of DLC for the real ending: Fallout 3 kind of did that, didn't they? Things just end if you don't have the Broken Steel DLC.

I think the main difference is people were not nearly as invested in Fallout 3's story or characters since they were honestly window dressing to the rest of the game.

Also Fallout 3 was a huge sandbox world... so people had a lot more liberty. The finale in ME is pretty much... the finale.

Fallout 3 as a game is not about the ending, at all. The open nature of games like Fallout, Skyrim, etc... this is why most of them never have much in the way of a true ending, they kind of treat the ending more as just another quest you can do.

Even then. some people didn't think the ending Fallout 3 did have was very satisfying, which is why they changed it. It was more pressure from the fans then something they were planning. What is insulting to me about ME3 is that as more information comes out, it seems like whatever is going to happen was planned, not done due to fan pressure. I almost dare say they made the ending suck just so fans WOULD be pissed, because then when the inevitable "real ending" DLC comes out they can play it off as listening to the fans, and all it will cost us is another $10-20.

GAH!

And tunes like this are what the second and third game lacked.

I think the only one from ME3 that even comes close is Mars. Uh, man, I love the synth from the first game.

The main thing Broken Steel changed was giving you free play after the main quest ended. It didn't really change Fallout 3's ending, it sort of made the game never end, instead.

And Fallout 3's ending was underwhelming, you basically just got a slideshow, but the slideshow acknowledges a lot of the choices you made during the game. Contrast that to Mass Effect 3's ending, which does not.

I dunno, these tracks were pretty damned good.

I can't complain about the music in any Mass Effect game, they were all good, just different.

Generally for Bioware games, music has never, ever, been close to an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.