Legend of Korra

The Sky Bison thing makes some sense: They probably hide somewhere you can only get to by air and no one found them until ether Aang found them or someone took a balloon out to find them.

Depends on your aptitude, physical condition, the feat being performed, and probably the bending style itself - earth and firebending might take more than water and air. In general, though, given that bending training is also physical training to some extent (given the movements that are involved) it doesn't seem to take stamina so much as affinity to perform actual bending. That, and there's some spirituality involved, so...who knows?

ElJuski

Staff member
Skybending takes 3 parsecs while Waterbending and Firebending take 4; Earthbending takes 7.

All bullshit aside I was really surprised by the writing and grace the first Airbender series had. I hope this time around will be just as good.

Skybending takes 3 parsecs while Waterbending and Firebending take 4; Earthbending takes 7.

All bullshit aside I was really surprised by the writing and grace the first Airbender series had. I hope this time around will be just as good.
I just hope they don't pull their punches at the end like they did last time. There was no reason for Aang to be at all at odds with his no-killing rule, when said rule wasn't in effect for the previous three seasons. He actively tried to send soldiers off the side of a mountain when he defended the Northern Air Temple and he killed LOTS of people when he channeled the Ocean Spirit at the North Pole. There really was no reason for him not to do it, except that it was a kid's show.

I just hope they don't pull their punches at the end like they did last time. There was no reason for Aang to be at all at odds with his no-killing rule, when said rule wasn't in effect for the previous three seasons. He actively tried to send soldiers off the side of a mountain when he defended the Northern Air Temple and he killed LOTS of people when he channeled the Ocean Spirit at the North Pole. There really was no reason for him not to do it, except that it was a kid's show.
Maybe because he wasn't in the north when confronting Ozi?

ElJuski

Staff member
I'm glad other people thought that was fishy, too. I mean, I can see why they would lead the story up to that moment, and there's enough there to suggest Aang would have that problem, but you're also right in that it would have been nice to see this crisis be fleshed out earlier, and maybe have him all guilt-struck from previous times he's put people on the brink of death or actually killed them.

It's kind of like how in the Nolan Batman movies Batman's killed plenty of randos, too.

It's funny that people complain about that, but no one says a word about him trying to convince Katara not to kill the man who killed her mother. I'd argue a couple things in favor of him acting the way he did.

1. It's entirely different to end up killing in the heat of battle vs. making a choice preemptively to kill them.
2. Aang's previous Avatar incarnations believe he needs to kill the Firelord. They're the ones influencing that within. Look at the time he's killed or been willing to kill--he's either been in Avatar state (where all the incarnations smack together to be very powerful) or had access to it. For pretty much all of season 3 though, he was cut off from that. And it wasn't until he got it back that he nearly was ready to kill Ozi (which led to a totally badass moment from Aang).

It's interesting to note that considering that each Avatar in Avatar state would be more powerful than the last, and seeing Avatar Roku in one of the spirit world journeys, that had Aang been an adult there wouldn't have been much of a fight at the end. He would've beaten Ozi easily.

ElJuski

Staff member
Like I said, it's there. But I also see where that sticking point kind of made the end hobble a bit. Either way, it's a damn good show, and I'm happy I took the time to see it after so many years of writing it off as some kid's show pseudo anime that internet nerds love so much.

I'm on Quotemander's side here - everyone was pressuring him to kill Ozai because it was the only way, but Aang was hoping it could be done differently. Whether or not the Lion-turtle is a lame cop-out has been an argument in the community since it started, but I think he can be excused to some extent - killing someone after you have subdued him in one-on-one combat is different than fighting for your life while you may or may not be in control of your actions (in case of the Avatar spirit). When he had the time, or they were fighting a smaller group, he's always spared them one way or another. Also, he's a kid of twelve, and thrown in a war where you don't have time to stand still with each enemy and consider what you're doing in the middle of a big-ass fight where it's do or die. Could they have thrown in some self-reflection? Probably. But the fact that they didn't doesn't mean they ''pulled their punches''.

Also, it's Ozai, not Ozi.

Bolin, if I remember the panel correctly, is going to be the new humor-ish type character (and was the original design for Toph.) They did talk about a couple of other characters, besides Korra and Mako and Bolin. There's Tenzin, Aang's youngest child and his family. There is also police chief Bei Fong. As for Naga (the polar bear dog, which was close to the original design for Appa), I think her personality is going to be similar to Appa's. Super loyal to Korra, but more agressive than Appa was for sure. She is the first Polar Bear Dog to be tamed after all. I think she looks adorable! And is partially inspired by Bryan's (or Mike's - I forget specifially which one..) Yellow Lab, which I think is fun.

I just want to see who's going to be the comedic character. So far all the trailers have focused on Korra, but I would be surprised if they could pull off a full season without other main characters that appear in nearly every episode. We haven't seen any of the personality of the dog bear thing (which, by the way, looks utterly ridiculous - what a freak of evolution to have all the power well ahead of the center of mass - it'd just as soon spin in place as sprint).
More ridiculous than a six-legged bison with a beaver tail and that can fly?

While Korra is an interesting character, I hope there are several other regulars to bounce her personality off of.
While Korra has dominated the promo material, there's been a couple of character around her age that look like they'll be members of her party. A couple of brothers, one a firebender, the other an earthbender. And Aang's son, Tenzin, as well as his kids, will be around to some extent, not sure how much though.

I think the brothers look a bit too alike, mainly because of their clothes. The Earthbending one needs something dynamic to set him a part like his brother's scarf.

Does the ferret count? But also, it may be the angle in this picture but Bolin (the earthbender) is actually about a head shorter and quite a bit stockier than his brother Mako.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Also Aku on Samurai Jack. AW MAN! Now I miss that show! Anyone else feel it needed a conclusion?
Yo.

Also, in regards to Aang's inner struggle about killing Ozai... TvTropes and Fridge Brilliance offered an interesting point of view to it: the previous Avatar incarnations are not telling Aang to stop bitching and kill the fuckin' Fire Lord already. They are telling him to be decisive, to stand strong, to understand that as the Avatar the Air Nomads' tradition of seeking enlightenment is not completely his: as the Avatar, he cannot reach nirvana, but is bound to the cycle of rebirth and therefore his insistence on not killing the Fire Lord is invalid. He can be enlightened and spiritual, but he cannot tie his own hand in the hopes that doing so will grant him the ultimate goal of an Air Nomad's existence.

Yo.

Also, in regards to Aang's inner struggle about killing Ozai... TvTropes and Fridge Brilliance offered an interesting point of view to it: the previous Avatar incarnations are not telling Aang to stop bitching and kill the fuckin' Fire Lord already. They are telling him to be decisive, to stand strong, to understand that as the Avatar the Air Nomads' tradition of seeking enlightenment is not completely his: as the Avatar, he cannot reach nirvana, but is bound to the cycle of rebirth and therefore his insistence on not killing the Fire Lord is invalid. He can be enlightened and spiritual, but he cannot tie his own hand in the hopes that doing so will grant him the ultimate goal of an Air Nomad's existence.
It takes me back to the days of DBZ when Gohan was feeling conflicted about killing Cell for fear that it would make him just as evil as he was.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Still I find the comparison jarring.

One show had interesting characters, an engaging story line, a memorable and different world with its own idiosyncracies and a metric crapton of charm.

The other had nonsensical stories, completely irrational and inconsistent characters and a main character who would lose to a stale waffle in a wig when personalities are compared.

Still I find the comparison jarring.

One show had interesting characters, an engaging story line, a memorable and different world with its own idiosyncracies and a metric crapton of charm.

The other had nonsensical stories, completely irrational and inconsistent characters and a main character who would lose to a stale waffle in a wig when personalities are compared.
Nonsensical story-line? IT'S SHOUNEN! Ever hear of the Bizarre Adventures of Jojo? Cyborg Nazis , and time-stopping vampires. And what's wrong with Goku? He's always there for his friends, he's silly, and he kicks ass!

North_Ranger

Staff member
I still just couldn't enjoy the stories because I felt they made no fucking sense. It didn't help that they spent a dozen episodes just powering up and shit...

As for Goku as a character? Either he's got the personality of wet cardboard, or he's taken a couple too many punches to the face, if you know what I'm sayin'.

As for Goku as a character? Either he's got the personality of wet cardboard, or he's taken a couple too many punches to the face, if you know what I'm sayin'.
He fell off a mountain as a child. Yes, his good natured personality, can do spirit, and total loss of intelligence and common sense are the result of brain damage. This is an actual plot point.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GREAT! "I'm the avatar, deal with it!" This was literally her first line in the series! I feel confident about this.

I also liked when Tenzin's daughter asked Katara what happened with Zuko's mom and then she was cut-off. Total cock-tease.