Export thread

Legend of Korra

Limit: 500

R

Raemon777

Huzzah. Looks about as awesome as we figured it would. The storyline has something to do with people who don't like benders, who use chi-blocking.

Best new info is that there'll be two seasons, not one. (Of 12 and 14 episodes, respectively)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeesssss....

Piotyr

Piotyr

I kind of wish it were branded as "Avatar: Legend of Korra" than "The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra", but that's a minor nitpick.

Still, awesome.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The next time someone asks me "Why don't they make good cartoon shows anymore?", I'm going to feel all the more like smacking them upside the head.

R

Raemon777

How often do people ask you that?

figmentPez

figmentPez

How often do people ask you that?
I've seen a couple threads on it in other forums. Every time it makes me want to *facepalm*

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I kind of wish it were branded as "Avatar: Legend of Korra" than "The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra", but that's a minor nitpick.
I have a feeling James Cameron's to blame.

Gusto

Gusto

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

phil

phil

Only two seasons? That's kind of disappointing. Still though *squeee* and so forth.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

DO WANT.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Still, awesome.
The thing above it said www.thelastairbender.com, so I don't know if that'd actually be the title of the show.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Please be awesome, please be awesome, please be awesome...

Hylian

Hylian

I want this so badly

Piotyr

Piotyr

JK Simmons is doing the voice of Korra's airbending teacher Tenzin, who is also Aang and Katara's son.

Gusto

Gusto

JK Simmons is doing the voice of Korra's airbending teacher Tenzin, who is also Aang and Katara's son.
Aw hellz yes.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Vagabond

Vagabond

So they won't even call this Avatar? Haha, that movie ruined everything.

Last airbender doesn't even make sense. There's more then one in this series from what I've read.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Really? Cause from what I've heard, there is only one airbender; Aang and Katara's kid, and the entire show will be about Korra trying to get to the last airbender to learn, as she'll already have mastered water, fire and earth at the start of the show.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well only having one kid is very irresponsible of them...

And i never got how they managed to wipe out people that could fly, and where supposed to be nomadic... you'd think at least a few would get away.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

And i never got how they managed to wipe out people that could fly, and where supposed to be nomadic... you'd think at least a few would get away.
I got the impression that the air benders are always few, and destroying them wasn't that much of a big deal.

I guess FIREbending helps with killing too xP

phil

phil

I always wondered about non bending air nomads. What were they like? Did they all live in the temples too?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's never explicitly said why some people can bend and others can't except that it's not biological, so it's highly unlikely the Air Nomads just abandoned the ones who couldn't bend. Besides, they still need people to farm and craft... they ones who couldn't bend were probably just taught trades instead of spending time training.

R

Raemon777

It's actually been stated "explicitly" that bending is "some combination of genetics, spiritual development, and other random factors that basically amount to authorial fudge factor"

Air Nomads were the most spiritual of the four nations, so they had the highest proportion of benders to non-benders. I remember the lowest proportion was the Earth Kingdom. Can't recall offhand if Water Tribe or Fire Nation had higher bending-density.
Added at: 20:56
Interview that goes into it:

http://www.avatarspiritmedia.net/interviews.php?id=19

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's actually been stated "explicitly" that bending is "some combination of genetics, spiritual development, and other random factors that basically amount to authorial fudge factor"
See, I was thinking back to those twin kids at the Fortune Teller's town. One could bend and one couldn't, so it was clear that genetics wasn't the primary thing that determined it. There's also Sokka and Katara, who both come from the same family but one can and other can't. Hell, Katara's mom, dad, and grandmother couldn't bend ether, so Katara is the only one in her family that can do it.

From the interview it sounds like everyone could possibly do it, but most people don't develop it enough to become usable, ether because they didn't have the opportunity and upbringing or because they simply didn't know they could.

R

Raemon777

One could bend and one couldn't, so it was clear that genetics wasn't the primary thing that determined it.
Something can be genetic and still not automatically turn up for every descendant. Katara and Sokka had a bending mother and a non-bending father, so it's not too suprising that only one of the kids can bend. The interview mostly confirms that it's mysterious and they can do whatever serves the plot. But if I were to apply fake science to this...

I don't think genetics are actually involved (this is a world where it is possible to kill the moon. I assume inheritance happens in approximately the same "observable" way it does in our world, but that the answer is closer to "it's magic" than "there are little material objects in your body that determine your characteristics.")

Actually, cool thought just occurred to me: I'm not sure if everyone in the world is supposed to reincarnate or just the avatar. But let's assume for a moment that everyone reincarnates somehow. So you may inherit traits from three people instead of two: your mother, your father, and the person you're being reincarnated from. So you get a Punett Cubes instead of Squares. Your mother and father could contribute to your overall bending potential, but the TYPE of bending you could do might be determined by your spiritual ancestor, which explains why everyone can only bend one element, even if they had a Water Tribe mother and an Air Nomad father. People tend to be reincarnated into their own tribe, which is why Water Benders normally give birth to other Water Benders, etc.

The inheritable traits determine your potential, but your actual bending skill depends on your spiritual training.

In real life, for example, I have a naturally ability to *quickly improve* at art, but I do NOT have the ability to quickly improve at Basketball. I improve somewhat medium-ly at Tennis. So for every hour I spend practicing art, I improve 1 arbitrary unit. I improve .5 AU at Tennis, and .05 at Bastketball. They're like coefficients. Judging from the show, Aang improved very quickly when he put his mind to it (so, say, Bending coefficient of 10) and Katara only had a coefficient of 3, but Katara put in much more work than Aang did so she was better than him for a while.

I'm also betting, for narrative reasons, that Aang and Katara had one Airbender, one waterbender, and one non-bender.

Jay

Jay

Piotyr

Piotyr

Something can be genetic and still not automatically turn up for every descendant. Katara and Sokka had a bending mother and a non-bending father, so it's not too suprising that only one of the kids can bend..
Neither of Katara's parents could bend. Her mother took the fall for her.

R

Raemon777

Oh, right. Well still, she and the father can both have the recessive gene(s), and one of the children got lucky.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm also betting, for narrative reasons, that Aang and Katara had one Airbender, one waterbender, and one non-bender.
I'm kind of partial to the notion that Aang and Katara had like 7 or 8 kids, only stopping when one of them showed airbending affinity. Tenzin is the youngest. Other kids might even show earth or firebending prowess, after all, Aang was born with affinity for ALL of them.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm kind of partial to the notion that Aang and Katara had like 7 or 8 kids, only stopping when one of them showed airbending affinity. Tenzin is the youngest. Other kids might even show earth or firebending prowess, after all, Aang was born with affinity for ALL of them.
I doubt it works that way considering Avatar Roku's descendents are only firebenders.

Gusto

Gusto

I doubt it works that way considering Avatar Roku's descendents are only firebenders.
He had a fire nation wife, and probably only a couple kids. He wasn't trying to rebuild a civilization.

I know my theory is kinda outlandish but it's a fun thought.

Jay

Jay

rule 34... wow...

R

Raemon777

Um, yes?

@Li3n

@Li3n

I got the impression that the air benders are always few, and destroying them wasn't that much of a big deal.

I guess FIREbending helps with killing too xP
Unless they could fire bend some surface to air smart missiles someone with the ability to fly could easily just go high enough so you can't even see them... the laser guy was the only one who might be able to take out high flyers, and his talents was rare and didn't seem easy to aim...

And you'd expect nomads to actually be nomadic to at least some degree, even if they have 2 temples to meet up in... having all of them be at the temples when they where attacked is a bit too convenient.

Gusto

Gusto

having all of them be at the temples when they where attacked is a bit too convenient.
I imagine if you were to ask the Fire Nation during the run of TLA they would agree that it was decidedly inconvenient.

@Li3n

@Li3n

@Gusto
Weird, because one airbending child, avatar or not, was able to evade them by flying for a very long time, while destroying the temples might have lost them men and resources, but they got it done pretty fast considering...

@mr_thehun

Would it? Or would someone manage to make even the fight scenes boring?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

And you'd expect nomads to actually be nomadic to at least some degree, even if they have 2 temples to meet up in... having all of them be at the temples when they where attacked is a bit too convenient.
They actually went into this a bit with the comics. Not all of the Air Nomads were at the temples at the time of attack. They still managed to get them all over the next 100 years, mainly through trickery.

Apparently the Fire Nation set up small little "safe houses" with Air Nomad decor in various parts of the world, then hid people in the populace who would tell wild stories about how they met an Air Nomad one night in a nearby location. They'd hide some troops nearby and they'd keep a watch on them, then when an Air Nomad showed up they'd just kill them. This only worked because Air Nomads are loathed to kill anyone, but Fire Nations soldiers have no such problem.

Aang actually gets caught up in one of these by Admiral Zhao in the comics, but managed to escape.

@Li3n

@Li3n

You'd still think some of them would have taken refuge at Ba Sing Se or with the northern Water Tribe... especially those that couldn't bend, as they could hide in plain sight very easily.

Would have been nice if some showed up after the Fire Lord got defeated... because otherwise the Avatar cycle will end the next time Air is next.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You'd still think some of them would have taken refuge at Ba Sing Se or with the northern Water Tribe... especially those that couldn't bend, as they could hide in plain sight very easily.

Would have been nice if some showed up after the Fire Lord got defeated... because otherwise the Avatar cycle will end the next time Air is next.
Your assuming Tenzin doesn't have a kid or has one between now and then.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

They actually went into this a bit with the comics. Not all of the Air Nomads were at the temples at the time of attack. They still managed to get them all over the next 100 years, mainly through trickery.

Apparently the Fire Nation set up small little "safe houses" with Air Nomad decor in various parts of the world, then hid people in the populace who would tell wild stories about how they met an Air Nomad one night in a nearby location. They'd hide some troops nearby and they'd keep a watch on them, then when an Air Nomad showed up they'd just kill them. This only worked because Air Nomads are loathed to kill anyone, but Fire Nations soldiers have no such problem.

Aang actually gets caught up in one of these by Admiral Zhao in the comics, but managed to escape.
Free Comic Book Day! I was going to mention that comic too.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It sure would be awesome if they made an avatar movie (or HBO miniseries)
I feel the same way about a Transformers live action movie. Man, how awesome would that be? Giant robots blowing each other up? There's no WAY someone could screw that up.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I feel the same way about a Transformers live action movie. Man, how awesome would that be? Giant robots blowing each other up? There's no WAY someone could screw that up.
I'm still waiting fore Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3. Man, those movies are going to be amazing!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Pfft, not as cool as Indiana Jones 4 is gonna be, amirite?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I actually liked Indiana Jones 4. :(
Added at: 21:57
But oh man, you know what would be awesome? Now, sit down when you read this....A Green Lantern live-action movie. OH FUCK, would that not be off-the-hook awesome?!

@Li3n

@Li3n

Your assuming Tenzin doesn't have a kid or has one between now and then.
If he did he'd be easier to find i'd wager... especially since to have an airbending heir who would only be 1/4th air nomad he'd pretty much have to go through a few tries at it...

But i guess a small air bending dynasty always getting the avatar when it's Air's turn would work...

Jay

Jay

Can't wait... I fell in love with this show. Any recent news?

Meanwhile, this will tide me over.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Can't wait... I fell in love with this show. Any recent news?

Meanwhile, this will tide me over.

It's supposed to be out sometime in 2012, but other than a few plot details that's all we know. They did reveal Korra's two companions, who are apparently brothers: Ones a Firebender and the Other is an Earthbender. Also, Tenzin apparently has kids, so it's pretty much assured that one will join up.

Wahad

Wahad

That's doubtful, since Korra, Mako and Bolin are all in the 16-18 range and Tenzin's kids are anywhere from 8-12.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

That's doubtful, since Korra, Mako and Bolin are all in the 16-18 range and Tenzin's kids are anywhere from 8-12.
I don't see an issue there. The characters in the original series ranged from 12-16. Whats a few more years of age difference?

Jay

Jay

I'm just happy I read possibly 26 episodes. Originally I read 12.

Hylian

Hylian

I can't wait until they announce an actual date for when it is going to be aired.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't see an issue there. The characters in the original series ranged from 12-16. Whats a few more years of age difference?
Basically this. They need an Airbender in the group and Toph bucked the age thing last time, so it's probably going to be the oldest child (whom I'm guessing will be a girl, just to keep the same vibe as last time).

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I think Toph was meant to be the same age as Aang, actually. Unless you count Aang's cryogenic years towards his age, obviously.

Wahad

Wahad

Since we know that Tenzin will be teaching Korra, I just have my doubts that he will let his kids go off on a dangerous journey with a bunch of cocky teenagers.

Hylian

Hylian

I thought that she was seeking him out so he could teach her but I didn't think it was official that Tenzin was going to be the one teaching airbending to the new Avatar.

Wahad

Wahad

Wise fwom yo gwave!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Excuse me.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Jay

Jay

Fucken A, can't wait.

Still an expected date of mid-2012?

Wahad

Wahad

God, I hope so. If there's gonna be any more delay I think I'll have a stroke.

Hylian

Hylian

I cannot fucking wait for this show!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Ahem...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Fucken A, can't wait.

Still an expected date of mid-2012?
Last I heard was Feb 2012, but I could see them waiting till May or June to make it start in the Summer.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Need. Not want. Need.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Occupy Nickelodeon!

Jay

Jay

Feb? confirm Feb!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Feb? confirm Feb!
I can't give confirmation. Feb was the stated time back before they gave it more episodes. It might be different now.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I hope the show has the good balance of Serious storytelling and fun playfulness the original had, cause from what I've seen so far its leaning towards the "gritty" drama side. Avatar worked on both levels and that's what made it so great.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They could make it gritty and dramatic...just like the highly successful, blockbuster motion picture!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I really want to see that movie, just to see how bad it really is. I don't want to watch it on my own though. I think the appropriate way to watch it would be with friends so we can MST3K our way through it.

Gusto

Gusto

Man I had forgotten about that movie.

And now you've reminded me.

Why do you HATE me.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

This was by far my fav. panel I got to go to at SDCC. =^^= I cannot wait for this!! HHHHHNNNNNNnnn!!!

And I am beyond happy that Dee Bradley Baker is doing voices for this show as well!

Jay

Jay

Nick made me LOL.

Wahad

Wahad

Alright. So. There has been a new clip leaked from an actual episode - and it was taken down in 22 minutes. However, there's a transcript floating around. It's amazing.

(Korra, in red training gear, races across a floor with an elaborate dragon painted onto it. She fights a man in similar gear and KOs him with a couple of firebending blasts.)

Korra: [punches air] "WOO-HOO!"

(We cut to a group of elderly people watching. One is dressed in Fire Nation clothes, there are dressed in White Lotus outfits [one's even a woman], and one wrinkly old woman is in Water Tribe clothes... that old woman is an elderly Katara.)

(Korra races up to the sidelines where the old people are watching. She pulls off her helmet gear. Interestingly, the background behind her seems to consist of an elaborate physical training course. Like basic training in the army.)

Korra: (cheerfully) "Hey, why all the doom and gloom, people? We should be celebrating. Three elements down, one to go."

Unnamed Fire Nation elder: "You're getting ahead of yourself as usual, Korra. We haven't decided if you passed your firebending test yet."

Unnamed White Lotus elder: "Ever since you were a little girl you've excelled at the physical side of bending but completely ignored the spiritual side. The Avatar must master both."

(Korra makes a face. She seems like she's heard this lecture before a lot.)

Korra: (normally) "I haven't ignored it, it just doesn't come as easily to me. But that's why I should start training with Tenzin immediately. He's Mister Spiritual."

(Overhead shot of everyone.)

Unnamed White Lotus elder: "Do you believe she's ready, Master Katara?"

Katara: "Yes." (All the others bow they're heads, as if disappointed, or perhaps out of respect.) "If anyone can teach her what she needs to learn, it's Tenzin."

Unnamed White Lotus elder: "Very well, Korra. It's time for you to begin your airbending training."

(Korra grins and starts spinning around.)

Korra: "YESSS! Finally!"

(The elders stare at her.)

Korra: "I mean, *ahem*, thank you all for believing in me."

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

............ Must. Find. Leak.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Squeal!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Piotyr

Piotyr

Jay

Jay

I WANT

abd-184.gif

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Anyone have an alternate link? The io9 link keeps crashing Chrome on me.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Must... not... look... Must... preserve... spoiler-free... experience... when... comes... out...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Resistance is futile!

evilmike

evilmike

Anyone have an alternate link? The io9 link keeps crashing Chrome on me.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I want this so hard, it's like the power of a million exploding stars.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I want this so hard, it's like the power of a million exploding stars.
My want for this is inversely proportional to the amount of action that was had the evening of Nick's senior class dance.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

OY!

So...a lot, huh?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

OY!

So...a lot, huh?
A hell of a lot.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Try and get io9 link though, it has more scenes than just that one.

evilmike

evilmike

Another scene from the new series which shows metalbenders (via io9):
http://www.viddler.com/v/717a7cf5

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

was that... big band jazz i could hear in the music?

I WANT THIS.

Jay

Jay

When.... WHEN

KCWM

KCWM

First I was :eek:
Then I was :aaah:
And now I'm all :( because I don't know when it's coming out.

figmentPez

figmentPez

So, the Legend of Korra now has this Facebook - Korra Nation thing.

figmentPez

figmentPez

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Am I the only one who thinks that looks like something out of Sim City?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Nope. Looks like a Pokemon city.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I was thinking Black and White.

Regardless, I love it!! Hnnn, so excited for this!!!

evilmike

evilmike

New Trailer

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wow... electricity? Things seem a lot more advanced than we previously thought. Makes me wonder what they'll do if they do a sequel to this series too...

chris

chris

Wow... electricity? Things seem a lot more advanced than we previously thought. Makes me wonder what they'll do if they do a sequel to this series too...
Me too. The world of Korra have the technology of the 1920. Maybe 70 years later they will have the same or similar technology like we have right now.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That trailer was cheeeeeeeesy. I'm sure the show will be a good balance of emotions and moods like the first one was, but that trailer reminded me of the "kids version" of the Phantom Menace trailer.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Can't argue with that, Prime. Though I'd say that's more Nickelodeon's fault than the people behind the show. Everything has to be hip and witty with Nickelodeon.

Jay

Jay

That trailer left me feeling wanting.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Maybe the Republic is like modern China, 1/3 Medieval, 1/3 19th Century, 1/3 21st Century.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The basic vibe I get from Republic City is that it's Hong Kong meets New York.

Wahad

Wahad

Partial soundtrack released!

Jay

Jay

FFS give me a release date already

stop being a diablo

Wahad

Wahad

New clip released via Korra Nation:

So adorable :3

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Aaaand that's all Korra needed to do to win me over... :D

BRING THIS SHOW OUT ALREADY!!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That was great.

Hylian

Hylian

I can't wait for this freaking show to come out.!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Aw, it's gone.

Wahad

Wahad

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

... Oh Gawd, so adorable!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

What a great line. Had me laughing.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

New trailer on that vimeo site.

MASTER KATARA!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Videos are gone on Vimeo site.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Of course they are. :(

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They are running adverts for this show on Nick now... they can't be too far off from announcing an air date. I highly suspect it's going to start sometime in June or July.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The teaser videos can be found from an official source here: http://korranation.tumblr.com/

Wahad

Wahad

Except those are landlocked, so they're only accessible for people in North America. Which sucks. For me. 'cause I'm not in North America.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I don't understand lock-outs on marketing like this. Why block your fans from being able to see promotional material? It makes no damn sense to me.

Jay

Jay

I don't understand ANY reason why that concept is even logical in general.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't understand ANY reason why that concept is even logical in general.
It has to do with who owns the license in some regions, I believe. Nick doesn't have a channel in every country, so it often sells the rights to the series to 3rd parties (who then get it on TV) because it nets them money with basically zero effort. It's probably already sold the rights to Korra based simply on the strength of the previous show.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Distribution contracts aren't just for distribution, they also include costs for things like promotion, DVD rights, specials, additional content, etc. Part of Nick's deal with Sky (or whomever, this is just an example as I dunno who has the EU rights) to distribute might include Sky picking up the cost of advertising the show in Europe in exchange for a relatively low price on the actual distro rights. So if Nick allows people in Europe to see marketing for the show, they're "giving away" revenue they might have otherwise demanded in the deal.

Sky has every reason to like this kind of deal, because it means that instead of a guaranteed high pay-out for rights, they pay only a medium bit, and gamble that their media buyers can out-perform the market.

And so EU viewers get (relatively) shafted.

It's for similar reasons why BBC America's Doctor Who behind-the-scenes-documentaries all star a bunch of American celebs who have nothing to do with the show talking about it. The British ones can't be shown here.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's one of the bigger reasons why Anime and Manga take so very long to come to the US. In japan it costs more for a DVD or DVD set than american buyers are willing to pay. If they sold it in english in the US simultaneously it would simply be re-imported to japan and still be cheaper than the market rate in japan for native materials.
This was a legitimate problem for many years in Japan, though I'd say the real problem is that they over-charge for their product, not that people won't pay it.

Wahad

Wahad

:aaah: I bring important news.:aaah:

April 14th. Be there, bitches.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Hylian

Hylian

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wahad

Wahad

Piotyr

Piotyr

figmentPez

figmentPez

Watch it while you can:

linglingface

linglingface

If they get 100,000 new likes and shares, they're going to premiere on the 24th!! http://www.korranation.com/

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The 24th. YES! BRING IT ON! Come on Avatards, let's friggin do this!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've done my part.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So in this show, they found like a pack of sky-bisons and thats why we see em there. Feel's too convenient. Like...RPG fodder convenient.

Wahad

Wahad

Aang found some dragons too, in season 3, when everyone said they were extinct. Heck, even he's a case of the same. Just because nobody's seen one in a hundred years doesn't mean none of them are around anymore - just not around where anyone would've easily come across them. The Avatar world is not ours, with satellites and UAV's and whatever else we use to monitor even the most inhospitable reaches of the land.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

This is true. It wasn't until Ozi's reign that any real technological advancement took place.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The Sky Bison thing makes some sense: They probably hide somewhere you can only get to by air and no one found them until ether Aang found them or someone took a balloon out to find them.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That's a lot of flying then. Speaking of which, how much does bending take stamina wise do you guys think?

Wahad

Wahad

Depends on your aptitude, physical condition, the feat being performed, and probably the bending style itself - earth and firebending might take more than water and air. In general, though, given that bending training is also physical training to some extent (given the movements that are involved) it doesn't seem to take stamina so much as affinity to perform actual bending. That, and there's some spirituality involved, so...who knows?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Don't choo be messin' with the sky bison. Mike and Bryan can do no wrong.

Also, Naga, quadsuit. It's gonna happen.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Skybending takes 3 parsecs while Waterbending and Firebending take 4; Earthbending takes 7.

All bullshit aside I was really surprised by the writing and grace the first Airbender series had. I hope this time around will be just as good.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I can't wait to see who Rob Paulsen plays, I always love his characters.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Skybending takes 3 parsecs while Waterbending and Firebending take 4; Earthbending takes 7.

All bullshit aside I was really surprised by the writing and grace the first Airbender series had. I hope this time around will be just as good.
I just hope they don't pull their punches at the end like they did last time. There was no reason for Aang to be at all at odds with his no-killing rule, when said rule wasn't in effect for the previous three seasons. He actively tried to send soldiers off the side of a mountain when he defended the Northern Air Temple and he killed LOTS of people when he channeled the Ocean Spirit at the North Pole. There really was no reason for him not to do it, except that it was a kid's show.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I just hope they don't pull their punches at the end like they did last time. There was no reason for Aang to be at all at odds with his no-killing rule, when said rule wasn't in effect for the previous three seasons. He actively tried to send soldiers off the side of a mountain when he defended the Northern Air Temple and he killed LOTS of people when he channeled the Ocean Spirit at the North Pole. There really was no reason for him not to do it, except that it was a kid's show.
Maybe because he wasn't in the north when confronting Ozi?

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm glad other people thought that was fishy, too. I mean, I can see why they would lead the story up to that moment, and there's enough there to suggest Aang would have that problem, but you're also right in that it would have been nice to see this crisis be fleshed out earlier, and maybe have him all guilt-struck from previous times he's put people on the brink of death or actually killed them.

It's kind of like how in the Nolan Batman movies Batman's killed plenty of randos, too.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's funny that people complain about that, but no one says a word about him trying to convince Katara not to kill the man who killed her mother. I'd argue a couple things in favor of him acting the way he did.

1. It's entirely different to end up killing in the heat of battle vs. making a choice preemptively to kill them.
2. Aang's previous Avatar incarnations believe he needs to kill the Firelord. They're the ones influencing that within. Look at the time he's killed or been willing to kill--he's either been in Avatar state (where all the incarnations smack together to be very powerful) or had access to it. For pretty much all of season 3 though, he was cut off from that. And it wasn't until he got it back that he nearly was ready to kill Ozi (which led to a totally badass moment from Aang).

It's interesting to note that considering that each Avatar in Avatar state would be more powerful than the last, and seeing Avatar Roku in one of the spirit world journeys, that had Aang been an adult there wouldn't have been much of a fight at the end. He would've beaten Ozi easily.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Like I said, it's there. But I also see where that sticking point kind of made the end hobble a bit. Either way, it's a damn good show, and I'm happy I took the time to see it after so many years of writing it off as some kid's show pseudo anime that internet nerds love so much.

Wahad

Wahad

I'm on Quotemander's side here - everyone was pressuring him to kill Ozai because it was the only way, but Aang was hoping it could be done differently. Whether or not the Lion-turtle is a lame cop-out has been an argument in the community since it started, but I think he can be excused to some extent - killing someone after you have subdued him in one-on-one combat is different than fighting for your life while you may or may not be in control of your actions (in case of the Avatar spirit). When he had the time, or they were fighting a smaller group, he's always spared them one way or another. Also, he's a kid of twelve, and thrown in a war where you don't have time to stand still with each enemy and consider what you're doing in the middle of a big-ass fight where it's do or die. Could they have thrown in some self-reflection? Probably. But the fact that they didn't doesn't mean they ''pulled their punches''.

Also, it's Ozai, not Ozi.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Bolin, if I remember the panel correctly, is going to be the new humor-ish type character (and was the original design for Toph.) They did talk about a couple of other characters, besides Korra and Mako and Bolin. There's Tenzin, Aang's youngest child and his family. There is also police chief Bei Fong. As for Naga (the polar bear dog, which was close to the original design for Appa), I think her personality is going to be similar to Appa's. Super loyal to Korra, but more agressive than Appa was for sure. She is the first Polar Bear Dog to be tamed after all. I think she looks adorable! And is partially inspired by Bryan's (or Mike's - I forget specifially which one..) Yellow Lab, which I think is fun.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I just want to see who's going to be the comedic character. So far all the trailers have focused on Korra, but I would be surprised if they could pull off a full season without other main characters that appear in nearly every episode. We haven't seen any of the personality of the dog bear thing (which, by the way, looks utterly ridiculous - what a freak of evolution to have all the power well ahead of the center of mass - it'd just as soon spin in place as sprint).
More ridiculous than a six-legged bison with a beaver tail and that can fly?

While Korra is an interesting character, I hope there are several other regulars to bounce her personality off of.
While Korra has dominated the promo material, there's been a couple of character around her age that look like they'll be members of her party. A couple of brothers, one a firebender, the other an earthbender. And Aang's son, Tenzin, as well as his kids, will be around to some extent, not sure how much though.

Piotyr

Piotyr

From promotional material:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

From promotional material:

And not a single fuck was given that day.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think the brothers look a bit too alike, mainly because of their clothes. The Earthbending one needs something dynamic to set him a part like his brother's scarf.

Wahad

Wahad

Does the ferret count? But also, it may be the angle in this picture but Bolin (the earthbender) is actually about a head shorter and quite a bit stockier than his brother Mako.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Does the ferret count? But also, it may be the angle in this picture but Bolin (the earthbender) is actually about a head shorter and quite a bit stockier than his brother Mako.
Not just the angle:

mako-and-bolin--large-msg-13114696763.jpg

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I love how they named the kid Mako, it's a good reference to a classic voice-actor.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I love how they named the kid Mako, it's a good reference to a classic voice-actor.
Who did the voice of Iroh in seasons 1 and 2 of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Who did the voice of Iroh in seasons 1 and 2 of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Also Aku on Samurai Jack. AW MAN! Now I miss that show! Anyone else feel it needed a conclusion?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Also Aku on Samurai Jack. AW MAN! Now I miss that show! Anyone else feel it needed a conclusion?

This needs to be made canon, if only because it EXPLAINS EVERYTHING WRONG with the Kingdom of Ooo.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Yo.

Also, in regards to Aang's inner struggle about killing Ozai... TvTropes and Fridge Brilliance offered an interesting point of view to it: the previous Avatar incarnations are not telling Aang to stop bitching and kill the fuckin' Fire Lord already. They are telling him to be decisive, to stand strong, to understand that as the Avatar the Air Nomads' tradition of seeking enlightenment is not completely his: as the Avatar, he cannot reach nirvana, but is bound to the cycle of rebirth and therefore his insistence on not killing the Fire Lord is invalid. He can be enlightened and spiritual, but he cannot tie his own hand in the hopes that doing so will grant him the ultimate goal of an Air Nomad's existence.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yo.

Also, in regards to Aang's inner struggle about killing Ozai... TvTropes and Fridge Brilliance offered an interesting point of view to it: the previous Avatar incarnations are not telling Aang to stop bitching and kill the fuckin' Fire Lord already. They are telling him to be decisive, to stand strong, to understand that as the Avatar the Air Nomads' tradition of seeking enlightenment is not completely his: as the Avatar, he cannot reach nirvana, but is bound to the cycle of rebirth and therefore his insistence on not killing the Fire Lord is invalid. He can be enlightened and spiritual, but he cannot tie his own hand in the hopes that doing so will grant him the ultimate goal of an Air Nomad's existence.
It takes me back to the days of DBZ when Gohan was feeling conflicted about killing Cell for fear that it would make him just as evil as he was.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

It takes me back to the days of DBZ when Gohan was feeling conflicted about killing Cell for fear that it would make him just as evil as he was.
You did not just compare The Last Airbender to DBZ.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You did not just compare The Last Airbender to DBZ.
Just the conflict that they both shared.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Still I find the comparison jarring.

One show had interesting characters, an engaging story line, a memorable and different world with its own idiosyncracies and a metric crapton of charm.

The other had nonsensical stories, completely irrational and inconsistent characters and a main character who would lose to a stale waffle in a wig when personalities are compared.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Still I find the comparison jarring.

One show had interesting characters, an engaging story line, a memorable and different world with its own idiosyncracies and a metric crapton of charm.

The other had nonsensical stories, completely irrational and inconsistent characters and a main character who would lose to a stale waffle in a wig when personalities are compared.
Nonsensical story-line? IT'S SHOUNEN! Ever hear of the Bizarre Adventures of Jojo? Cyborg Nazis , and time-stopping vampires. And what's wrong with Goku? He's always there for his friends, he's silly, and he kicks ass!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I still just couldn't enjoy the stories because I felt they made no fucking sense. It didn't help that they spent a dozen episodes just powering up and shit...

As for Goku as a character? Either he's got the personality of wet cardboard, or he's taken a couple too many punches to the face, if you know what I'm sayin'.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

As for Goku as a character? Either he's got the personality of wet cardboard, or he's taken a couple too many punches to the face, if you know what I'm sayin'.
He fell off a mountain as a child. Yes, his good natured personality, can do spirit, and total loss of intelligence and common sense are the result of brain damage. This is an actual plot point.

ElJuski

ElJuski

awesome.

Although, I just realized...Aang totally had to do it with Katarra. Gross.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

OSHITSON.... DAMN YOU VERIZON AIRCARD, Stream faster!!!!!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GREAT! "I'm the avatar, deal with it!" This was literally her first line in the series! I feel confident about this.

I also liked when Tenzin's daughter asked Katara what happened with Zuko's mom and then she was cut-off. Total cock-tease.

ElJuski

ElJuski

It would totally ruin the childlike fun of the series, but I thought it would be interesting if, in this 20's-style-mob-land-New-York scene, the anti-benders would have things like guns. Because I know if I were a disgruntled non-bender who had access to technology and needed an edge over those elemental d-bags, a piece would come in handy.

I mean, I get why they don't, and why they wouldn't, so we don't have to go there. But it would be an interesting idea, nonetheless.

Also, the metal benders? Pretty neat.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It would totally ruin the childlike fun of the series, but I thought it would be interesting if, in this 20's-style-mob-land-New-York scene, the anti-benders would have things like guns. Because I know if I were a disgruntled non-bender who had access to technology and needed an edge over those elemental d-bags, a piece would come in handy.

I mean, I get why they don't, and why they wouldn't, so we don't have to go there. But it would be an interesting idea, nonetheless.

Huh. Not sure if guns would be cool or not. Kinda conflicted there. Ah well, whatever Dimartino decides I'm okay with! He hasn't let us down before(except for signing the rights to you know what).

ElJuski

ElJuski

It won't happen. But in my mind I'm imagining it would cause a lot more dramatic conflict between benders and non-benders if some punk gangster could just up and off a bender. Give the city a bit more bite. It's a kid's show, though, and I'm sure whatever the Avatar guys have planned, it's going to be entertaining. They've earned my trust.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I realy like Tenzin and Toph as characters, I feel that they just have to prove so much that they're just as capable as their parents. Kinda hard when one was the avatar and the other was the one who LITERALLY INVENTED a style of bending. Man do I love me some inferiority complex!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Think you mean Bei Fong, there...

but yeah, and the chemistry between her, Korra and Tenzin was great! Nice to see that Bei Fong isn't all unbending and starchy. I laughed so freaking hard with her "I'm watching you," bit.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Think you mean Bei Fong, there...

but yeah, and the chemistry between her, Korra and Tenzin was great! Nice to see that Bei Fong isn't all unbending and starchy. I laughed so freaking hard with her "I'm watching you," bit.
Ah crap, I did call her Toph didn't I? Ah well, too late now. And yeah, her bit with Korra was funny as hell.

Wahad

Wahad

They won't have guns, but some trailer or other showed one of the anti-benders with electrically-charged batons.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Ugh, I may have to wait 3-4 years to watch this show and watch it all when it's done, like I did for the original series.

I don't wanna, but I also don't want to wait weeks between episodes.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Can't see the pilot :( Direct link, please?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I feel the same way Frankie!

Wahad

Wahad

Ugh, I may have to wait 3-4 years to watch this show and watch it all when it's done, like I did for the original series.

Possibly good news for you, then! Here's a post made by Bryan Konietzko about why Korra has been so long in the making:

You will see Korra as soon as it is ready to be aired, which is soon! I know it is easy to be mad at a big faceless corporation, but the truth of the matter is that now the only thing keeping you from seeing the show is the reality of how long it takes us to make this many episodes of animation at this level of quality. We need to have enough episodes finished to air them regularly, or else you guys would probably get mad again!
(emphasis mine)

It seems that they, too, were displeased with the hiatuses between episodes in the first series, so they've been trying to get out as many episodes before actually starting to air it to remedy this. Which is excellent. Barring any executive decisions by Nickelodeon (which are unlikely, given that Korra will air in the Saturday 10am (11 maybe? I forget) slot, so there won't be any events like the KCA hindering the airing schedule), Korra is seemingly good to go for at least the entire first season, which has at least 13 episodes. And given that the expected total number of episodes for now is 26, rather than 60 for the first series, you won't have to wait 4 years, at least, to catch up on the second season.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If they show this season like Nic showed the last season... You will end up watching it all in one sitting.

I am still mad about not getting that last season as a season. It was their most popular show and it seemed they killed their ratings on purpose.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I had to wait 2 YEARS for this just to come out! I'm okay with waiting for just a few weeks.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I had to wait 2 YEARS for this just to come out! I'm okay with waiting for just a few weeks.
Unlike the rest of us?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Unlike the rest of us?
Point taken.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Unlike the rest of us?
Pfft, silly, non time traveling commoners.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Can't see the pilot :( Direct link, please?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4n7QuWCDsQ - my spoiler link just appears to launch it on Youtube's site.

KCWM

KCWM

That was awesome!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That was awesome!
Ya damn straight it was! CARS ARE IN AVATAR NOW! IT IS NOW CANNON! And the metal-benders kick SO MUCH ass!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I've only watched five minutes of this, and I'm in love.

She called Katara gran-gran! And Aang named one of his kids Boomi.

Wahad

Wahad

I've only watched five minutes of this, and I'm in love.

She called Katara gran-gran! And Aang named one of his kids Boomi.
And the other was named Kya, aka Katara's mom

Ya damn straight it was! CARS ARE IN AVATAR NOW! IT IS NOW CANNON! And the metal-benders kick SO MUCH ass!
Unfortunately, they're called "Sato-mobiles" instead of cars. They're named after their inventor, Hiroshi Sato, who will at some point have a speaking part. Not sure how big of one, but we'll see him, at least.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Don't get me started on the animation, it is superb! You know how much good animation we have T-V right now? Not that much. Most of it just feels lazy to me nowadays.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Don't get me started on the animation, it is superb! You know how much good animation we have T-V right now? Not that much. Most of it just feels lazy to me nowadays.
Really? Because we have a crap load in my opinion.

- Adventure Time
- Regular Show
- Phineas and Ferb
- Young Justice
- Generator Rex
- Ben 10, in all of it's various incarnations
- MLP: Friendship is Magic
- Transformers Prime

Do you have any IDEA what my Saturday mornings are like? I have to be up at like 6 am.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Out of that group, I only got into Young Justice. But then again I am pretty much a DC fanboi.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

- Adventure Time
- Regular Show
- Phineas and Ferb
- Young Justice
- Generator Rex
- Transformers Prime

Do you have any IDEA what my Saturday mornings are like? I have to be up at like 6 am.
I agree their good shows, I just feel a lot of animation itself feels a tad slow these days. I don't know, maybe it's just from being raised in the 90s which was an animation renaiisance. Either that or being from Jersey makes me want everything to be super-fast. Probly that one.

Gusto

Gusto

Hmm. I loved it of course but it seems like the one person we haven't really got a good enough glimpse of their personality yet was... Korra. We were kind of TOLD what she was like but it's kinda hard to get a grasp on her just yet.

The music was incredible and by far my favourite part of the pilot.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Goddammit, I still can't see it! The viewing space is simply black, no tabs, no nothing.

Now I has sad.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well they got enough likes... presumably you can just watch it from the Korra Nation site on the 24th.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I love how serious Tenzin is, like a not evil bizarro Aang.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I love how serious Tenzin is, like a not evil bizarro Aang.
He's probably the serious one because he was the oldest. We'll eventually met his siblings, who will probably be a bit more crazy.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

He's probably the serious one because he was the oldest. We'll eventually met his siblings, who will probably be a bit more crazy.
YEAH! Crazy water-bending uncles! Or wait, was one of them a girl? It was Bumi and... who else?

Gusto

Gusto

I picture Tenzin as the youngest of three siblings, and the only with airbending ability, and has been placing the burden on himself to keep the legacy alive since a fairly young age. SRS BSNSS.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

One thing I've thought was weird about the avatar state. Since there are only four air-benders out there right now, that means that the next air-bender avatar will most likely be one of Aang's descendants. Anyone else find this weird?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

One thing I've thought was weird about the avatar state. Since there are only four air-benders out there right now, that means that the next air-bender avatar will most likely be one of Aang's descendants. Anyone else find this weird?
Not really. It was basically guaranteed to happen, unless there are people out there with Air Nomad blood who don't know about it.

That would make an interesting series: The New Air Bender Avatar is born, but it's not in Aang's line, which has become a powerful political family. This causes a power struggle, as Aang's family was looking to use the Avatar status to cement their power base among the ruling elite of the world. Now the new Avatar has to navigate a world where every Nation wants to use their power to control the world, while gaining friends and allies to stop the Nations from destroying everything that the Avatar and Benders stand for.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Not really. It was basically guaranteed to happen, unless there are people out there with Air Nomad blood who don't know about it.

That would make an interesting series: The New Air Bender Avatar is born, but it's not in Aang's line, which has become a powerful political family. This causes a power struggle, as Aang's family was looking to use the Avatar status to cement their power base among the ruling elite of the world. Now the new Avatar has to navigate a world where every Nation wants to use their power to control the world, while gaining friends and allies to stop the Nations from destroying everything that the Avatar and Benders stand for.
Making the family of one of the greatest heroes ever...power mad? BRILLIANT! Like the Tenryubuuto from One Piece! Only without the slavery.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm hoping so. Like the bending of Paku with the silly-ness of Aang.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Per the Facebook posting:
Avatar: The Last Airbender said:
Congrats Korra Nation! We're unlocking not just one, but TWO full episodes from The Legend of Korra on March 24. You'll be able to watch them at http://korranation.com/

Dei

Dei

What happened with Zukko's Mom? *leans forward* INTERRUPTED NOOOOOO

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

What happened with Zukko's Mom? *leans forward* INTERRUPTED NOOOOOO
Dimartino is a master troll idn't he?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Meh... it'll be a plot point this season. Or at least mentioned.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Meh... it'll be a plot point this season. Or at least mentioned.
Pretty sure they revealed it in the comic though.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Hnnn, episodes 1 and 2 being released on Korranation.com tomorrow!! (Or a twitter conversation with Nickeloden would suggest tonight at midnight!! EEEE!!)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Hnnn, episodes 1 and 2 being released on Korranation.com tomorrow!! (Or a twitter conversation with Nickeloden would suggest tonight at midnight!! EEEE!!)
This is all the fun of waiting for a mid-night release without the horror of being outside! Mid-night release people can be weird sometimes.

Hylian

Hylian

I am going crazy waiting for the release. :aaah:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I am going crazy waiting for the release. :aaah:
We all are pointy-eared human who is not an elf. We all are.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I sincerely predict that the site will crash at midnight and not be brought up until noon.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I sincerely predict that the site will crash at midnight and not be brought up until noon.
I give 70-30 this happening. TAKING ALL BETS!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

- Adventure Time
- Regular Show
- Phineas and Ferb
- Young Justice
- Generator Rex
- Transformers Prime

So, I originally couldn't stand the look of Transformers Prime so I never gave the show a shot but now, having just done so....I kind of dig it. Jeffrey Combs as a cranky, mad scientisty Ratchet is definitely the highlight for me.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's up. Go and watch.

Dei

Dei

I was reminded of Katara and Aang bitching at Toph.

Wahad

Wahad

That was amazing! The animation quality, Bolin (which is apparently pronounced Bolin rather than Bolin. Color me surprised), Tenzin trying to maintain his cool, his kids (I will make no such promises :ninja:). Avatar is back in full force. I am stoked.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I R teh sad that I'll probably have to wait until the season's over before I'll even have time to watch it.

Gusto

Gusto

Loved the second episode and once again, love the characters and music. Still waiting for a good reason to like Korra at all.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Hnnn, Naga naga naga naga!!!!! I also can't wait to see Pabu either. I loved seeing the new fighting animations, it was all so beautiful. The new music was a definate surprise, but a very good one - can for sure see the 20's influence in this series.

I absolutely hate following TV shows, I almost always wait until a DVD comes out...but..I might have to make an exception for this.

Hylian

Hylian

Well I just finished watching the first two episodes and I must say that I really enjoyed them. The music and the animation was done magnificently. I was a bit concerned how my mind would handle all of the technological upgrades that have arisen but for the most part it all fit nicely into my mindset given the amount of years that have passed.

The battle scenes were also nicely done. And that is something I am very grateful for since the fight scenes in the original have always stood out in my mind as some of the better fight scenes I have seen in an American made cartoon show.

Although I must admit I am a bit disappointed in one aspect. I don't usually watch cable television since most of it is garbage. If there is a show I want to watch I will buy the DVD set when it comes out but this show will be the second show that I am actually making time to watch as it comes out and so I will not have the luxury of watching it at my own pace. I am now forced to wait for each new episode to come out so slowly.

But in all honestly isn't the complaint of having to wait patiently (or in my case not so patiently) the highest praise someone can give a show?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Loved the second episode and once again, love the characters and music. Still waiting for a good reason to like Korra at all.
Korra reminds me of Toph. Maybe that's why Lin isn't a fan.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Lin Bei Fong is the best.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

awesome awesome awesome. the animation is so damn good! I love Tenzins eye-twitch angry face :D

also... rewatching the opening...I don't know if its deliberate, but anyone else notice that in the 'epic old cast pose' Toph is facing the wrong way?

Wahad

Wahad

Agreed, though this little scamp is giving her a run for the money.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

No he is not. Nobody gives Lin Bei Fong a run for any money, be it hers or anyone else's.

Gusto

Gusto

I like Bolin. :)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Love the new episode, though now I fear that fan-girls will split into teams of "Team Bolin" and "Team Mako". Don't lie, we all fear this to happen.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Love the new episode, though now I fear that fan-girls will split into teams of "Team Bolin" and "Team Mako". Don't lie, we all fear this to happen.
That do it with everything, even Last Airbender (Kataang/Zutara...). So, I'm not to concerned about it, besides all the tweens are going to be hopped up on Hunger Games to care much, I think the ship war will happen somewhat after the fact.

ElJuski

ElJuski

well, the kids have to learn about shipwar sooner or later.

Wait, what the hell is ship war?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That do it with everything, even Last Airbender (Kataang/Zutara...). So, I'm not to concerned about it, besides all the tweens are going to be hopped up on Hunger Games to care much, I think the ship war will happen somewhat after the fact.
Wow, never thought I'd say this but thank Satan for Hunger Games!

P.S. No I have not read it, just a joke.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

When fandoms fight over who so-and-so should end up with. So now in Korra, I'm only assuming here since there are only two episodes out, the war: Bolin&Korra vs. Mako&Korra. Oh, but wait, they need couple names. Borra vs. Kako.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You're just now worrying about what has already begun? The Borra vs Makorra fight has been building on Tumblr for a while now (that's not even counting the Korra/Bolin/Mako OT3 'shippers *shudder*) Some of the cosplayers I follow are more than a little 'ship-crazy, and I hope it doesn't get much worse.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Some of the cosplayers I follow are more than a little 'ship-crazy, and I hope it doesn't get much worse.
Oh, you know it's going to get worse, MUCH worse. I mean, with those cosplayers in particular. =^^=

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh, you know it's going to get worse, MUCH worse. I mean, with those cosplayers in particular. =^^=
Kags, why you gotta crush my hopes and dreams? :confused:

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Kags, why you gotta crush my hopes and dreams? :confused:
You know I only speak truth. =^^=

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well, I know what night-mare I'LL be talking about in the dreams thread.

But enough about that, who else think that guy with the shock-sticks looks BAD-ASS! I know he's a villain, but sweet-strawberry-jesus does he look cool.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

A show is only as good as it's villian - I think he's great!! And I love his design. Azula was one of my favorite characters from Last Airbender, such a good villian.

Still though, Naga's got my heart and will forever be my favorite character, much like Appa.

Rovewin

Rovewin

When fandoms fight over who so-and-so should end up with. So now in Korra, I'm only assuming here since there are only two episodes out, the war: Bolin&Korra vs. Mako&Korra. Oh, but wait, they need couple names. Borra vs. Kako.
Kako. Everytime I hear that I am going to get hungry. Hmmm cake.

Anyway so what do you think of all the disciples Tenzin has on that island. Are they all just there for the spiritual training or do you think some have distant airbender blood in them that they are trying to cultivate into being able to bend air?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Anyway so what do you think of all the disciples Tenzin has on that island. Are they all just there for the spiritual training or do you think some have distant airbender blood in them that they are trying to cultivate into being able to bend air?
Haha, would give us all excuses to have cake parties or something!

Hmm, thats totally an interesting thought! It hadn't crossed my mind at all, I was to busy being giddy to think rationally. That will, possibly, be an interesting fold in the story.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

What if Aang used his energy bending...TO GIVE people bending!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

we talking shippers?

they're hilarious. my favorites are the crack shippers. naga/gangsters that korra beat up ot4

Piotyr

Piotyr

Everything that anyone could possibly want to know about pro bending, from Bryan Konietzko, one of the creators of Legend of Korra:

http://korranation.tumblr.com/post/19586633139/bryan-konietzko-creator-of-a-tla-and-the-legend

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Or Momo/the pirates weird parrot monkey. It does get hilarious at time I agree.

Edit: After seeing that video, I want to play a pro-bending video game sooooooooooooo bad.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Everything that anyone could possibly want to know about pro bending, from Bryan Konietzko, one of the creators of Legend of Korra:

http://korranation.tumblr.com/post/19586633139/bryan-konietzko-creator-of-a-tla-and-the-legend
I found that just brought up more questions. How am I supposed to start my own pro-bending league with just that info?

Actually watching a match on the show did answer some questions, but I'm still wondering about some stuff:
- When a team is advancing, do they all move to the front-most part of their current territory, or do they only move up one zone from where they currently are? Do those who have been knocked back behind their teammates get to move forward at all?
- Are earthbenders allowed to deform the stone discs or do they have to keep them as is?
- Are waterbenders allowed to ruin player's traction, or are the restricted to using the water to push people around?
- How are these people not covered in bruises and barely walking after a match?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I found that just brought up more questions. How am I supposed to start my own pro-bending league with just that info?

Actually watching a match on the show did answer some questions, but I'm still wondering about some stuff:
- When a team is advancing, do they all move to the front-most part of their current territory, or do they only move up one zone from where they currently are? Do those who have been knocked back behind their teammates get to move forward at all?
- Are earthbenders allowed to deform the stone discs or do they have to keep them as is?
- Are waterbenders allowed to ruin player's traction, or are the restricted to using the water to push people around?
Not sure about the advancing that is a good question, but the earth deforming and water-tractions attacks are probably legal seeing how Bryan said nothing against it. And the reason behind not being covered in bruises is because they were the right safety equipment! Always remember to wear a cup kids, it apparently deflects fire-blasts!

Rovewin

Rovewin

I was wondering the same things. I bet that those who were pushed back only get to move up the same number of areas as their front most teammates because that would seem like quite a loss to work on one opponent and get him all the way back and then have him move up all the way if you lost one zone.
I think they probably have to keep the discs as is because they weren't transforming them to make shields or anything. (at least what I remember seeing in the episode)
Well the floor is going to get wet no matter what but the floor isnt linoleum or a substance like that. I'm guessing its a type of earth that can somewhat soak up water but would still get a little slippery or muddy after awhile. One thing to think about though is if you try to make it impossible for the other team to be able to keep a foothold then you will have to deal with that as well if you move up to their zone. As for slippery ice; no. In that video, he said it has to be kept in liquid form so I am going to guess that that is a hard rule. No ice whatsoever in the match.
I dont know. Those must be some awesome pads they have. To be fireproof and dissipate the clay circle's impact.
Anyway that seems like it would be a cool video game to have made.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Man, with Tenzin's training and the pro-bending fights Korra is gon' kick all KINDS of ass. Hey...if there would be another book a.k.a. season...what would it be about? New elements? I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand it would bring interesting visuals for animation as well as interesting fights. On the other hand, adding too many elements might make this into kung-fu Pokemon. WHAT A DILEMMA!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well the floor is going to get wet no matter what but the floor isnt linoleum or a substance like that. I'm guessing its a type of earth that can somewhat soak up water but would still get a little slippery or muddy after awhile. One thing to think about though is if you try to make it impossible for the other team to be able to keep a foothold then you will have to deal with that as well if you move up to their zone. As for slippery ice; no. In that video, he said it has to be kept in liquid form so I am going to guess that that is a hard rule. No ice whatsoever in the match.
I realized that the floor is going to get wet with all that water flying around, so just making puddles won't work, and that ice isn't allowed, but what about actively controlling a film of water? Are they allowed to make a slick behind someone while their teammate tries to force their opponent to step back onto the slick? (i.e. are you allowed to force your opponents feet to hydroplane by controlling the water underneath their foot.) Is that too difficult to pull off while having to defend, is it being saved as a tactic to show off in the championship, or is it illegal to use water in that manner?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Man, with Tenzin's training and the pro-bending fights Korra is gon' kick all KINDS of ass. Hey...if there would be another book a.k.a. season...what would it be about? New elements? I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand it would bring interesting visuals for animation as well as interesting fights. On the other hand, adding too many elements might make this into kung-fu Pokemon. WHAT A DILEMMA!
Well, there are going to be two seasons. Book 1 is planned to be 12 episodes and Book 2 is planned for 14, so, we'll see. =^^=

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

A better question is if it's allowed for water benders to make ice-armor. Cos if it's not Korra should totes magotes be doing that.

Edit: Oh, so the first season is just 12. OKEY MASKOKEY! Then what will book 2 be? LET'S GO LIGHTNING!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well, there are going to be two seasons. Book 1 is planned to be 12 episodes and Book 2 is planned for 14, so, we'll see. =^^=
And that's just for right now. We could get an additional season or plans for another story involving the next Avatar, like we did last time.

Personally, I'd like some OVAs to cover the lives of the casts after their victory.

Wahad

Wahad

And that's just for right now. We could get an additional season or plans for another story involving the next Avatar, like we did last time.

Personally, I'd like some OVAs to cover the lives of the casts after their victory.
There's a comic book out there that deals with that. Or at least, partially. It's called The Promise, and it's published by Dark Horse.

Norris

Norris

I realized that the floor is going to get wet with all that water flying around, so just making puddles won't work, and that ice isn't allowed, but what about actively controlling a film of water? Are they allowed to make a slick behind someone while their teammate tries to force their opponent to step back onto the slick? (i.e. are you allowed to force your opponents feet to hydroplane by controlling the water underneath their foot.) Is that too difficult to pull off while having to defend, is it being saved as a tactic to show off in the championship, or is it illegal to use water in that manner?
It's probably considered a legal move but I'd imagine your guess about it being too difficult to pull off during a competition is accurate. Judging by the pace of the matches we've seen, a waterbender would have the breathing room for fine control like that when there was only one opponent left standing or the whole of the other team was tired out.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Who else thinks Amon may be a bender and that he's just using the non-bending populus for his own nefarious plans?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There's a comic book out there that deals with that. Or at least, partially. It's called The Promise, and it's published by Dark Horse.
Looks like only Part 1 is out so far. Part 2 is scheduled for June.

It's probably considered a legal move but I'd imagine your guess about it being too difficult to pull off during a competition is accurate. Judging by the pace of the matches we've seen, a waterbender would have the breathing room for fine control like that when there was only one opponent left standing or the whole of the other team was tired out.
I'd imagine it would just be simpler to make a water tentacle and toss them back instead, though it makes me wonder why they don't just make a wave with the water from platform.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I've got an answer guys: because it's a cartoon, and sometimes it doesn't matter if Itchy hits the same ribcage twice and makes two different notes.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Enough about the awesome pro-bending that is going to be a video game(which we will ALL buy).

Who else is looking forward to seeing how bad-ass the Triad is. What kind of rackets do you think are in the bending world?

Wahad

Wahad

Looks like only Part 1 is out so far. Part 2 is scheduled for June.

I'd imagine it would just be simpler to make a water tentacle and toss them back instead, though it makes me wonder why they don't just make a wave with the water from platform.
Same reason Korra was having trouble earlier on - you need to be light on your feet. Quick, rapid-fire strikes seem to be the best strategy, you can't pause to perform a big move or you're off the platform.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Legend of Korra _ Mako and Korra staring out the window.jpg

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Same reason Korra was having trouble earlier on - you need to be light on your feet. Quick, rapid-fire strikes seem to be the best strategy, you can't pause to perform a big move or you're off the platform.
It's like playing a fighting game on versus mode. Try to hard to do some complicated combo and your stupid friend will end up owning your ass.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Must... remain... patient... Must... remain... patient.

Gah, I just hope I don't miss the eventuality when this series finally gets here and is slapped in the 7am weekdays slot for kiddies...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You know, I'll be honest. When it was first announced that they would be returning to the world of bending and such, I didn't like the idea. I thought the Avatar series wrapped out succinctly with nothing (aside from Zuko's mother, which didn't bother me) needed to be wrapped up. I felt that the creators - rather than going back to that world - could use that creative energy to create something entirely new, with a new mythos, setting, etc. Of course, I was still going to love this series, but it was with some remorse that we couldn't get something entirely new instead.

Having watched the first two episodes, I have to say that - in a lot of ways - they have created an entirely different world. This isn't the same world we watched in the The Last Airbender series. It's the same world in the literal sense, but it's evolved into something very different. The pro-bending, for example, takes the competitions that introduced Toph and makes an entire sport around it. Metal benders are now a regular thing. Air benders are back, with a populated temple and everything. It's very different from the last series.

In the words of Egoraptor: "See, this is a sequel. This is a fucking sequel!" The creators aren't resting on the laurels of what they created - which was my original concern. They're expanding upon their universe and remodelling previously created models to tell new stories. And I can't flipping wait to see what they have in store for us.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd love to watch this, but Korra Nation is eternally buffering.

ElJuski

ElJuski

You know, I'll be honest. When it was first announced that they would be returning to the world of bending and such, I didn't like the idea. I thought the Avatar series wrapped out succinctly with nothing (aside from Zuko's mother, which didn't bother me) needed to be wrapped up. I felt that the creators - rather than going back to that world - could use that creative energy to create something entirely new, with a new mythos, setting, etc. Of course, I was still going to love this series, but it was with some remorse that we couldn't get something entirely new instead.

Having watched the first two episodes, I have to say that - in a lot of ways - they have created an entirely different world. This isn't the same world we watched in the The Last Airbender series. It's the same world in the literal sense, but it's evolved into something very different. The pro-bending, for example, takes the competitions that introduced Toph and makes an entire sport around it. Metal benders are now a regular thing. Air benders are back, with a populated temple and everything. It's very different from the last series.

In the words of Egoraptor: "See, this is a sequel. This is a fucking sequel!" The creators aren't resting on the laurels of what they created - which was my original concern. They're expanding upon their universe and remodelling previously created models to tell new stories. And I can't flipping wait to see what they have in store for us.
I think that's why I'm actually kind of excited to see this. If they keep going, it'll be really interesting to see the universe expanded. And hopefully they're smart enough not to shoehorn every single fucking thing from the first series, ala Star Wars.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I think that's why I'm actually kind of excited to see this. If they keep going, it'll be really interesting to see the universe expanded. And hopefully they're smart enough not to shoehorn every single fucking thing from the first series, ala Star Wars.
So far they've been pretty subtle in call-backs to the old series. For instance: Korra shares some of Sokka's mannerisms (either it's a water-tribe thing, or Sokka shared in raising her.) Sure, some things have more obvious connections, but I think they at least know how to tie things in without making it the exact same thing all over again.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I had this problem. I'd reload the page anytime it got stuck like that and move the time up to where I was. I'd watch the show in short 2-3 minute bursts.

Gusto

Gusto

I just found it streaming elsewhere, since I think Korra Nation is US only anyway.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Any links to episode 2? With out me telling all my friends that I like this show?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It's what you get with these TV sites. EVer go watch NBC video? Same damn thing but with adds. It's all a clever psychological ploy developed by those sites where they make you pay to watch to watch videos. THE ADVERTISMENTS PAY ENOUGH FOR THE VIDEO YOU JERKS!

Either that or the Korranation site people just chose a bad file type. I hope this one, cos I like to think the Avatar crew is nice to us.

Gusto

Gusto

Any links to episode 2? With out me telling all my friends that I like this show?
http://www.animeflavor.com/index.php?q=node/34351

figmentPez

figmentPez

Legend of Korra _ Portal _ Mashup.gif

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I really hope for more trippy spirit quests this season. Those were some of my favorite episodes.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Personally, I hope we get more spirit bending, like we saw in the finale of Last Airbender.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Personally, I hope we get more spirit bending, like we saw in the finale of Last Airbender.
HELL YES! And maybe we would see them fighting on spirit-scapes like in Psychonauts!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Huh. I was just re-watching the scene with Aang spirit bending and I thought of something. He said "I took away your fire bending. You can't use it to threaten or hurt anyone ever again."

What if that's the theme of this series? Maybe the end of the bending world will be the end of bending? Suppose the villain has the ability to spirit bend? Or perhaps, for whatever reason, Korra realizes the dangers of bending and decides to spirit bend the world, preventing anyone from bending ever again? I highly, highly, highly doubt it'll go in that direction, but suppose that's how the series ends? It'd be a hell of a way to end it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Huh. I was just re-watching the scene with Aang spirit bending and I thought of something. He said "I took away your fire bending. You can't use it to threaten or hurt anyone ever again."

What if that's the theme of this series? Maybe the end of the bending world will be the end of bending? Suppose the villain has the ability to spirit bend? Or perhaps, for whatever reason, Korra realizes the dangers of bending and decides to spirit bend the world, preventing anyone from bending ever again? I highly, highly, highly doubt it'll go in that direction, but suppose that's how the series ends? It'd be a hell of a way to end it.
If that happened...every message-board in the world would crash from over flamage.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Fantastic.... and is it just me, or is her face sort of Cromartie High School in that last frame?

Nonetheless:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Sounds like Mass Effect 3.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's much more likely this is the villain's goal: To ride the world of bending, to create a world where everyone can be equal. We already know he has people who can do Tai-Lee's chakra blocking.

Personally, I doubt we're going to see bending go away completely. It's too iconic to the setting, so even as it goes forward into the future, it's entirely likely we'll still see benders of some sort.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It's much more likely this is the villain's goal: To ride the world of bending, to create a world where everyone can be equal. We already know he has people who can do Tai-Lee's chakra blocking.

Personally, I doubt we're going to see bending go away completely. It's too iconic to the setting, so even as it goes forward into the future, it's entirely likely we'll still see benders of some sort.
Plus it would ruin any chance for a sequel. And once geeks get the bug-THEY AIN'T NOTHIN' STOPPIN EM!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It'd be funny if she lost her current three bending powers, and had to really work hard to get air bending.
...how would that work? Would every single water,fire, and earth avatar leave her body? But the air-avataras knew how to other-bend as well so probably not. It's an interesting concept mind you, I just don't know how it would be executed.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Moon spirit actually. The Ocean spirit was the one that possessed Aang and proceeded to murder the fuck out of every Fire Nation soldier in the area.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Moon spirit actually. The Ocean spirit was the one that possessed Aang and proceeded to murder the fuck out of every Fire Nation soldier in the area.
Aw man that was epic. And for some reason M. Knight edited it out. I hate Hollywood sometimes.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Reading the new Avatar : The Promise comic...

Yay! Smellerbee and Longshot survived the showdown at Lake Laogai!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Reading the new Avatar : The Promise comic...

Yay! Smellerbee and Longshot survived the showdown at Lake Laogai!
YAY! Really need to buy this now.

Wahad

Wahad

People who are interested in probending rules should read this, this and this.

(From here)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

People who are interested in probending rules should read this, this and this.

(From here)
Okay, who else is hoping for an awesome tie-breaker episode! BENDING DEATH-MATCH!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Okay, who else is hoping for an awesome tie-breaker episode! BENDING DEATH-MATCH!
They had better drop a cage down when that happens.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

They had better drop a cage down when that happens.
Two benders enter- ONE BENDER LEAVES! FIGHT! Do-do,do-do,do-do-do-do-do-do,do-do,do-do,do-do,do-do-do-do-do! That is Guess what this is from and I'll give a cookie.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Bitch, please... gonna have to do better than Mad Max around here...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Bitch, please... gonna have to do better than Mad Max around here...
I was talking about the song, so NO COOKIE FOR YOU!

Wahad

Wahad

Also, found this:

MY PHONOGRAPHS!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Also, found this:

MY PHONOGRAPHS!
...YES! THANK YOU DIMARTINO!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Because LittleKagsin will like this.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

*SNIFF* It's beautiful! As well as adorable.

Jay

Jay

When's the first episode?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

When's the first episode?
April 14th! Discounting the internet release date of course, which all-ready happened.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

April 14th! Discounting the internet release date of course, which all-ready happened.
So this weekend. Should be around 10am-ish. Honestly, as long as I don't need to pick between it and Young Justice...

Wahad

Wahad

Also, one more clip before the premiere! Naga is great, and the Equalists look pretty brutal compared to Ty Lee's light-hearted jumping around.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Hnnnn, one of the best things EVAR!!!! Thank you figmentPez. =^^=

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I asked a class-mate, "You know what's weird about the new series?"

"That Korra is riding a polar bear dog when logically it should be overheating."

I thought he was right at the time...but it's half dog which are able to deal with warm temperatures. Logically it's adaptable. Should've said that to em. Ah well.

I love that clip, kinda scary seeing a pro-bender like Korra(as well as her being the Avatar) just getting OWNED.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Jay

Jay

I downloaded the first two episodes and watched it with the lady, we loved it.

Can't wait for the 3rd episode.

Don't have Niko, so that's my only option.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This guy is my hero.

fade

fade

- Adventure Time
- Regular Show
- Phineas and Ferb
- Young Justice
- Generator Rex
- Transformers Prime

Huh. This is pretty much my list of WORST cartoons on tv. Except Ben 10.

On topic, I loved the original show. I haven't watched anything yet. I hope it stands up to the hype. The best thing about the original show was that it actually had character development, which seems to be such a rarity these days. Especially among cartoons. I hope they keep that.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Except Ben 10? So the "Magic isn't real, your gramma is an alien" line didn't bother you? This is what happens when you continue a series after the main director leaves. Gargoyles stunk after Greg Weisman left, Spongebob sucked after Derek Drymon left, and Ben 10 ALMOST stunk after Man of Action left. An okay show, but it ain' the same. Also I felt the Ultimatrix was the most pointless thing to add to the series. Ben has over a MILLION aliens, why does he need super forms?

Piotyr

Piotyr

This guy is my hero.
That guy is Bryan Konietzko, creator of the show.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That guy is Brian Konietzko, creator of the show.
What if this is where they based the animation on? That'd be cray-cray.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Don't have Niko, so that's my only option.
It'll be on Nick Canada and YTV eventually, but not until the first season is underway. But if you don't have cable, your basically going to be forced to download them. Welcome to our world... Americans had to download the last half of Season 3 of Avatar because it was airing overseas first because Nick was dragging it's feet.

Except Ben 10? So the "Magic isn't real, your gramma is an alien" line didn't bother you?
They've addressed that in the show: Magic IS real and Charm Caster/Hex Master DO use it, as does Gwen. Mana (the energy Annodites use) is the raw energy form of magic and Annodites are just naturally able to use it without much training. It's only other species that need incantations and focuses to make it work for them. Check the wikia for more info.

Whoever made the original comment in the show is basically just plain wrong at this point, or rather didn't understand the difference.

Wahad

Wahad

What if this is where they based the animation on? That'd be cray-cray.
It's the acting reference for the animators, yes. See here.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Yep, and actually Brian does that with A LOT of scenes for the animators - not just that one.

fade

fade

Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. This is mine. My son loves AT and Reg. Show, so I've seen plenty of episodes. I don't like the humor style. I group them because they feel almost like clones of one another. I liked AT at the very beginning, but the show went through the world's fastest Flanderization ever. Both shows feel like they were written by 35 year old parents trying to speak the cool kids' lingo. AT especially relies on tired old sight gags that have already been done to death in Ren & Stimpy, SpongeBob, and even Loony Toons before that. Young Justice feels like the Jersey Shore of the DCAU, and Generator Rex is just plain boring. But these are my opinions. Feel free to have your own.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

They've addressed that in the show: Magic IS real and Charm Caster/Hex Master DO use it, as does Gwen. Mana (the energy Annodites use) is the raw energy form of magic and Annodites are just naturally able to use it without much training. It's only other species that need incantations and focuses to make it work for them. Check the wikia for more info.

Whoever made the original comment in the show is basically just plain wrong at this point, or rather didn't understand the difference.
It was her dad who said it, but the way he said it is sounded like the writers wanted to make it hard sci-fi or something. Baaaaaaaaaaad idea. But whatevs. Still wish there were more things based on mythology in the show, magical and alien. Like, how come reptiloids or grays are never mentioned, at all?! Yes I am being nitpicky, but I'm a bit of xeno-nerd.
It's the acting reference for the animators, yes. See here.
...that is awesome. Nothing more to say than that. Now, season one is probably gonna be Korra fighting Amon and the triad on the side. Does anyone still hope for some trippy spirit world stories? I do.

Norris

Norris

Young Justice feels like the Jersey Shore of the DCAU,
So you haven't watched it at all is what you're saying? Because I dare that comparison to make less sense.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Dude doesn't like the show.

It's not an indictment of your tastes so there's no need to get defensive.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Not liking the show and completely mischaracterizing the show are two different things.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The Jersey shore of...I don't get that comparison at all good sir! I can understand why someone wouldn't like it but...Jersey shore is something that has almost nothing in common with this show.

Piotyr

Piotyr

TO EVERYONE NOT TALKING ABOUT KORRA:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

If a thread don't go off-topic on a Halforums thread, your on a different forum.

But yeah BOT, does anyone else hope for lightning bending? I always felt that was underused in the series.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I don't know if they'll tackle spirit world stuff in the first season. Unless they changed it, but season 1 is/was only supposed to be 12 episodees - which doesn't leave a lot of dilly-dally time. Then season 2 would be 14 episodes, making this show a mini-series.

Norris

Norris

When the comparison is to Jersey Shore...yes it is. Jersey Shore is a bunch of barely literate, over tanned muscleheads and wannabe divas drinking (frequently in hot tubs), screwing (again, in hot tubs), and generally being everything that is potentially wrong with twenty somethings. The purpose is so that people can watch the trainwreck that is these people's futureless lives. It is pure lowest-common-denominator. Comparing any halfway decent scripted series to it is a grave insult.

I can get disliking Young Justice. Its storylines are heavily serialized, the villains almost always win (even though they lose on one objective, they achieve two more the heroes didn't know about), etc. What I don't get is calling it Jersey Shore.

fade

fade

I didn't say it was Jersey Shore, I said it was the Jersey Shore of the DCAU. That doesn't require a 1-to-1 comparison. I just find it rather shallow and whiny compared to the gold of the DCAU that has come before. You guys read way to much into a minor dismissal.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

TO EVERYONE NOT TALKING ABOUT KORRA:

TO YOU:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't know if they'll tackle spirit world stuff in the first season. Unless they changed it, but season 1 is/was only supposed to be 12 episodees - which doesn't leave a lot of dilly-dally time. Then season 2 would be 14 episodes, making this show a mini-series.
That's all subject to change, depending on how well the series is received. We COULD get a 3rd or 4th season if the ratings are high enough.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Oh, I'm well aware of that. But all that's planned for now is two season, 26 episodes. I know I read somewhere that Bryan and Mike were more interested in keeping this series a lot tighter than Airbender.

But really, I'm all for whatever they come out with. The more the merrier when it comes to those two.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I honestly suspect that if they get more episodes, they'll use them to ether set up the next series or possibly resolve story stuff from this one. They left too many threads hanging in the first series and it bit them in the ass later.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Yeah. I do know that the whole "What happened to Zuko's Mom??!" thing is going to be resolved in this series, they promised as such. That will be interesting to see if they wrap this one up nicely, or set it up for another series.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Decided to watch it. Enjoyed it.

fade

fade

Huh. I didn't know the Zuko's mom thing was a mystery. I just figured they were implying she was whacked, but couldn't directly say it since it was a kid's show.

Wahad

Wahad

Huh. I didn't know the Zuko's mom thing was a mystery. I just figured they were implying she was whacked, but couldn't directly say it since it was a kid's show.
She was exiled, actually.

Ozai says so in the Day of the Black Sun, part II, when Zuko faces him in the bunker. The biggest mystery is why she was exiled and what happened afterwards.

The general theory is that she was involved with the assassination of Azulon and the changing of his will, so that Ozai, not Iroh, would gain the throne. Back then, Ozai actually asked for the throne, because he didn't believe Iroh, the eldest son, would be fit. Azulon, in a fit of rage, demanded Zuko to be put to death. Presumably, to save her son, Ursa did something bad and that's how Azulon died and Ozai became Fire Lord.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Yeah, I always assumed she had some involvement with the assassination as well, but they couldn't state that in a NickToon.

Gusto

Gusto

Grampacide.

Wahad

Wahad

Grampacide.
Technically it would be patricide. Azulon was Ozai's dad.

Gusto

Gusto

Patricide-in-law.

None of these terms are as fun as grampacide. :(

Wahad

Wahad

Patricide-in-law.

None of these terms are as fun as grampacide. :(
True. Lexpatricide do it for you?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I didn't say it was Jersey Shore, I said it was the Jersey Shore of the DCAU. That doesn't require a 1-to-1 comparison. I just find it rather shallow and whiny compared to the gold of the DCAU that has come before. You guys read way to much into a minor dismissal.
...shallow and whiny? THEIR TEENAGERS! That's what teenagers ARE! In that respect they got it right.

Meh, whatevs.And....I don't really get how you can call something the Jersey Shore of something. The way your saying it is like the Jersey Shore is the black sheep in it's family. Considering that is the first sheep made to be watched, it doesn't really work. A better metaphor would be calling it the "Star Wars Christmas Special" of the DCAU, the "Dragon Ball GT" of the DCAU, or the "last season of Scrubs" of the DCAU. Not saying I can't see why you don't like it, just your metaphor could have used fine tuning is all.

BOT: So Zuko's mom is going to be explained THIS season?! SQUEE!

fade

fade

Jersey shore is a show I have a low opinion of, and so is Young Justice. You guys were the ones trying to force it into some kind of direct comparison. I frankly don't care if it's supposed to be whiny and shallow. So is Jersey Shore for that matter. Whether it's supposed to be is completely beside the point. The point is that that's why I don't like it. Metaphors are meant to evoke a feeling. "Jersey Shore" evokes something much closer to my opinion than "Star Wars Christmas Special" or "Dragon Ball GT", which just invokes cheesy and badly written. Those are totally wrong metaphors for what I was putting across. Again, you guys are free to disagree, but my metaphor wasn't at all wrong for what I personally was expressing. Frankly, if the metaphor was a direct comparison, well, it wouldn't be a metaphor anymore.

Also, the Jersey Shore thing was meant tongue firmly in cheek anyway. I didn't know it would end up being equivalent to raping your faces, or I would've phrased it another way, for crying out loud.

Also, sure Ozai says Zuko's mom was exiled, but he and Azula said a lot of things.

Jay

Jay

Yawn.

This guy....

So when do they air Episode 3?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Hmmmmmmmm, I can sort-of see that now. Sort-of.

I still really hope for more lightning bending, that shit was cool. Maybe some lightning benders could manipulate radio waves or what not?

fade

fade

32302.gif.jpeg

Sorry master. Please forgive my non-conforming opinion. I shall go beat myself now.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

.... I don't get it but okay.

Would a polar bear dog be able to deal with heat? I mean, it's half dog so would it be able to adapt so easily?

figmentPez

figmentPez

So when do they air Episode 3?
I think it's going to be April 21st.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I feel so nostalgic about this, starting with two eps just like the original series! Though in the original series, the first two eps were one story but who gives a flying ferret. There are flying ferrets in Avatar right?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

BOT: So Zuko's mom is going to be explained THIS season?! SQUEE!
For real.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Okay, what other questions about the series. Is Jet really DEAD? ....yeah he probably is. It's more of a slight curiosity from fans rather than a straight-up question ain't it?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I suppose. The only question I really had was what happened to Zuko's mum, so....As long as they clear that up, I'm good.

It's all gravy baby.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Jet's dead. They had to not make it graphic due to executive meddling, which ended up making it appear kind of ambiguous.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Jet's dead. They had to not make it graphic due to executive meddling, which ended up making it appear kind of ambiguous.
That does make more sense. MYSTERY OVER!

Lin is a bender right? Have we seen art of her bending? I hope she's a bender, she's tough but you know she cares.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

If Katara had bothered to teach korra the art of waterbending people/blood she wouldn't have gotten in such a tight spot where her beardogthing had to save her.
Oooooooh, blood-bending. I wonder if that'll come into the series. Hopefully as a last resort.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If Katara had bothered to teach korra the art of waterbending people/blood she wouldn't have gotten in such a tight spot where her beardogthing had to save her.
Blood Bending only works on Full moons... unless someone in the Avatar State could do it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Blood Bending only works on Full moons... unless someone in the Avatar State could do it.
Katarra also found blood bending to be ultimately unsettling, and likely never used it again. It wouldn't surprise me if she never taught anyone that ability.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

But that's the thing... she never really "learned" how to do it herself. It's really just the fusion of a simple technique (bending water you can't see) with the power of the moon. The reason it likely didn't occur to her is because water is abundant as it is... why would you NEED to bend someone's blood when you could just freeze them with ice instead?

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Avatars learned this technique long ago and just never really felt the need to use it.

Gusto

Gusto

IIRC, Katara used bloodbending in The Southern Raiders without the aid of the full moon, implying she had surpassed Hama.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

IIRC, Katara used bloodbending in The Southern Raiders without the aid of the full moon, implying she had surpassed Hama.
I'm pretty sure that was an interior shot, on a ship. It's entirely possible that it happened at night.

Regardless, it was mentioned that the first woman could only do it during a full moon and that people had been disappearing during full moons as well. Katara may be powerful, but stronger than someone who's spent their entire life doing said technique? Even Toph was weaker than King Bumi (who, while not able to bend metal, could bend with just his FACE).

fade

fade

I kept waiting to see what the second stage of airbending was. Water->Ice(->Blood), Fire->Lightning, Earth->Metal, Air->? Or was that supposed to be the spirit bending?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Doubt it's spirit bending. That seems like the sort of thing only the avatar should be able to pull off since he's supposed to be the link between the phyiscal world and the spiritual one.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Does Sand-bending count as a stage of earth-bending? Or is more of sub-section?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I think it's a sub-section. Just like 'swamp benders' are still water-benders, they're just a different type - can bend different things.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Indeed. Air-benders don't really seem to have sub-sections do they? I assume that that is due to them mostly being in monasteries and worked more on spirituality than straight up attacking.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I think that has more to do with them all being dead.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

HA! Yeah that too.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm actually working on a homebrewed Avatar campaign similar to DnD 4e right now, wherein our Airbender player is dabbling with the idea of eventually branching into sonics.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Creating a sudden "bubble" of vacuum around someone would fuck them up pretty badly

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I'm actually working on a homebrewed Avatar campaign similar to DnD 4e right now, wherein our Airbender player is dabbling with the idea of eventually branching into sonics.
We played a homebrewed 3.5 Avatar campaign. I was a healer and it went pretty well.

Fell apart because the GM wasn't that interested and some of the players hated each other.

Gusto

Gusto

Yea well that'll happen. :( I too will be playing the healer!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Quit being the exact same person as me, Gusto.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Quit being the exact same person as me, Gusto.

Allen who is Gusto?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I always imagined the more advanced form of Air-Bending would be using air bending to manipulate sound as it travels from your mouth to the target, if anything. Aang already did something similar when he used the Bison Whistle to round up all the animals lose in Ba Sing Sa. But really, I highly doubt that a society based on transcendence and peace would develop a method of bending for fighting.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Sound is a pretty nonlethal way to incapacitate a dude.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Sound is a pretty nonlethal way to incapacitate a dude.
It's also a really easy way to burst their ear drums or make them deaf. I doubt it's the kind of thing they'd use lightly.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I always imagined the more advanced form of Air-Bending would be using air bending to manipulate sound as it travels from your mouth to the target, if anything. Aang already did something similar when he used the Bison Whistle to round up all the animals lose in Ba Sing Sa. But really, I highly doubt that a society based on transcendence and peace would develop a method of bending for fighting.
Once the Air Benders can form a tribe again, I bet they will spend more time on developing Martial Skillz...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Once the Air Benders can form a tribe again, I bet they will spend more time on developing Martial Skillz...
Doubtful. Aang was only a kid when his society was utterly wiped out... and now think just how much was hidden from you until YOU became an adult. Basically, Aang was only given the party line about the Air Nomads. It's entirely likely that's all he passed down to his children and followers. I doubt they'll become more militarized.

Also, it's going to take them hundreds of years before they have close to enough numbers for a civilization again. Aang's descendants number 5 + however many brothers Tenzin had (even if they can't Airbend, they can probably pass down the potential).

Gusto

Gusto

Tenzin has two siblings, Kaya and Bumi, whose bending ability has not been disclosed. The fanboy in me assumes waterbender and earthbender respectively.

And yeah, given how Aang acted in the series finale, it's unlikely he taught the new airbenders (ie Tenzin) anything super violent. But Tenzin is not is not his father, and it might be interesting to see how he develops as the situation in Republic City unfolds.

Wahad

Wahad

Actually, it has been disclosed (though I don't remember where). Kya (named after Katara's mum, for those interested) is a waterbender, Bumi is a nonbender.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I would doubt that the child of an airbender and a waterbender could be an earthbender, so I assume Bumi is a non-bender.

Proof!

Gusto

Gusto

You forget that Aang was an earthbender.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I suspect Bumi's probably involved with ether politics in the city or possibly technological advances in the world. They'll show up eventually.

Gusto

Gusto

But I guess if it's been disclosed then that's that.

Piotyr

Piotyr

You forget that Aang was an earthbender.
Aang was the Avatar, but he was an airbender by heritage.

Norris

Norris

...why is Tenzin the only light skinned kid of Aang and Katara? I mean, how does that work that two of Aang's children look full on water tribe while the third looks pure air nomad? I question Bumi's parentage!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

What if it's Korra who comes up with a new style of air-bending? That would be awesome.

Edit: I just looked up Aang's kids and and it's...odd. One's an air-bender, one's a non-bender, an the other is a water-bender. Like a...value scale man.

evilmike

evilmike

In the US, new episode tomorrow at 11am; first two episodes rerun at 8pm tonight and 8am tomorrow.

David

David

...why is Tenzin the only light skinned kid of Aang and Katara? I mean, how does that work that two of Aang's children look full on water tribe while the third looks pure air nomad? I question Bumi's parentage!
Kya and Bumi happened to inherit Katara's gene for melanin production levels, while Tenzin inhereted Aang's. I don't see how that's that much of a stretch.

Wahad

Wahad

Guys. Guys.

Korra has officially ascended the label "children's television" with the third episode. Without spoiling anything, this was some pretty heavy stuff.

The worst part about Amon's speech is that he's totally right! Benders get all the jobs, they have all the power (both political and physical) so what can a non-bender really do to get ahead in life? Of course, his methods make him the worst hypocrite to ever hypocriticize, but hey, I guess that's why he's a villain.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Benders get the blue collar jobs, and I guess that's fair for the lower class to be upset by, but I don't really see how non-benders can't keep up at white-collar jobs. The inventor of the Satomobile is a non-bender, and a very rich man.

Wahad

Wahad

Benders get the blue collar jobs, and I guess that's fair for the lower class to be upset by, but I don't really see how non-benders can't keep up at white-collar jobs. The inventor of the Satomobile is a non-bender, and a very rich man.
He's also a genius. You know, what with inventing the car and all. What about the less business-savvy non-benders?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

He's also a genius. You know, what with inventing the car and all. What about the less business-savvy non-benders?
There is always hoeing...

a field of corn.

Wahad

Wahad

Earthbenders take that job because they do it in a fraction of the time for the same money. Sorry, try again.

David

David

Or be a cabbage grower.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You mean the accountants, engineers, writers, painters, file clerks, waiters, mechanics and other professions that won't significantly benefit from bending, if at all? With the time and effort it takes to master bending, it's not something that can easily be applied to each and every field.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Pez and I actually talked about this on twitter. When you get down to it, Bending only gives you an advantage if it's for a line of work that involves a technology that hasn't been perfected yet. Firebenders do things like help keep the power on via lightning bending and welding together stuff. Earthbenders keep the roads level and build foundations for buildings, when they aren't working the mines. Waterbenders are out flushing the sewers and fighting fires... but in the end, none of the Benders have jobs that pull in any kind of good money unless they are using violence (ether to protect, like the Metalbenders, or to extort, like the Triads).

I personally believe the whole Anti-bender movement is a smokescreen to distract the working poor from unionizing or voting out the current government, who really don't seem to be proactive in advancing the conditions of the poor.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Wait, so let me get this straight.

1. Amon has dead parents
  2. Amon has no superpowers
  3. Despite Amon's lack of superpowers, he can stand up to superpowered folk.
Amon is Batman.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Mako's parents were killed in front of him by a mugger.

Legend of Korra _ Mako and Bolin _ Batman and Nightwing.png

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Oh my gosh, that was my first thought when he told that story!!

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm actually really, really impressed with this show, and particularly with the third episode. A lot of that has to do with this delicious grey area stuff.

And, it takes really excellent writing to make me fear that Amon would actually take the brother's bending power. They're not pulling any punches here, and they could have easily gone that route, with the brother being ultimately pulled away from the others because he got sapped. Which, either way, is going to happen between those two, obviously. Still, the fact that scene could have gone either way was really, really impressive.

R

Raemon777

Yeah, episode three was a pretty hardcore second installment. Apparently when you remove all the funny filler episodes and a slightly older target audience, you're left with some scary stuff.

My favorite theories for Amon's identity:

1) Either Firelord Ozai, or a direct descendant (only person I can think of who we'd have a narrative reason to hide the face of, and who comes with knowledge that bending can be taken away, and a motive to do so to return to power)
2) Grandson of the cabbage merchant
3) Some other random guy, whose identity isn't important... except that he went to the spirit world at some point and got his face stolen by Ko. (Who may also have taught him to energy bend)

figmentPez

figmentPez

This is very interesting, a comparison of the spirit bending done by the Lionturtle and Aang with whatever was done by Amon. It's got some very interesting speculation. I don't think what's being done is the same as what Aang did, and I don't think it's truly permanent.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

My favorite theories for Amon's identity:

1) Either Firelord Ozai, or a direct descendant (only person I can think of who we'd have a narrative reason to hide the face of, and who comes with knowledge that bending can be taken away, and a motive to do so to return to power)
2) Grandson of the cabbage merchant
3) Some other random guy, whose identity isn't important... except that he went to the spirit world at some point and got his face stolen by Ko. (Who may also have taught him to energy bend)
I'm almost certain it's going to be someone in the government or ruling elite of the city, who has something to gain from the mob mentality Amon's been fostering (though the thing with Ko would be awesome). Whoever is behind this has to have a few things...

Wealth: The Antibenders have high tech weapons, gadgets, vehicles, and the resources to keep all of these things running. This is all very high tech stuff and requires lots of money. This indicates a large supply of wealth.

Connections: There is no way that such a violent and anarchist group would be allowed to operate in a city full of benders unless they had some way to make the cops look the other way (notice how the cop went after Korra, instead of the member of the known terrorist group?). This indicates that Amon has at least some influence over the cops.

This makes me think he's ether a friend, ally, or member of the Bai Fong Family.

Wahad

Wahad

This is very interesting, a comparison of the spirit bending done by the Lionturtle and Aang with whatever was done by Amon. It's got some very interesting speculation. I don't think what's being done is the same as what Aang did, and I don't think it's truly permanent.
In theory, if the chi-points can be blocked, they can be opened up again. But given that Tenzin seems to assume Amon does what Aang once did, I wonder if there's even anybody in Republic city that knows how to unlock this specific type of blocking. So I think it could very well be a permanent effect.

Gusto

Gusto

ElJuski

ElJuski

which, as the AVC article pointed out, pretty much has to, as we're already a quarter of the way through the season.

KCWM

KCWM

It's a cliche response, but I'm really excited for this season. I mean, everyone says they are excited about something, but there's been nothing weak, IMHO, in the first three episodes. It pains me that it's only a half hour long, especially with the projected short lifespan. It's a more mature version of AtLAB, but maintains the spirit of its predecessor.

This is the show I look forward to more than any other during the week.

Frank

Frank

It's a fine show and all that jazz but I just want to say just how God damned gorgeous the look of the entire thing is. The third episode made it clear just how much like shit Korra makes Avatar look in the presentation department.

Wahad

Wahad

KCWM

KCWM

It's a fine show and all that jazz but I just want to say just how God damned gorgeous the look of the entire thing is. The third episode made it clear just how much like shit Korra makes Avatar look in the presentation department.
Agreed with the presentation. The animation looks great on my 60" TV.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'm just glad nick is showing the full episodes on their site. I don't have to pirate them, and they do show in hd streaming from there.
"Sorry, this video is unavailable at your location."

GAWDDAMMIT!

Gusto

Gusto

For once I'm actually able to watch those kind of episodes in Canada.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So this episode again raises the question of why the fuck the cops didn't do anything. It's an ISLAND. They'd have been watching it all day... so how did Amon and his gang get on it? I doubt they swam up with all their gear on. Or why the Metalbender police weren't helping with the assault of the hideout.

Seriously... Bei Fong knows what is going on, but she's doing her best not to get involved.

Hylian

Hylian

Warning crazy and unfounded theory coming up

Now this is going to sound a bit crazy and it is probably wrong but I think that Bumi (Aang's non-bending son) is Amon. Now there is no evidence to support my theory but I think it could still be true. Katara said that Bumi was always serious growing up and if you think about it being the only non-bender (at least supposedly non-bending) in a family full of benders of course he would feel left out and possibly isolated due to his lack of bending abilities. Now I think that he probably grew up secretly (maybe not so secretly) despising benders and that despise made him decide that benders are the cause of all the worlds problems. Now being Aang's son he would have definitely heard of Spirit Bending which Aang used to remove Fire Lord Ozai's fire bending abilities. Now based off of what we know of Spirit bending so far we do not know if it is hereditary like most forms of bending or if it is strictly a spiritual thing. Now if it is hereditary Bumi could have inherited the ability from his father Aang and if it is strictly a spiritual thing than he could have purposefully/accidentally discovered how to spirit bend.

And that is the end of my crazy theory for now.

Norris

Norris

Huh. Amon being Bumi wouldn't be a bad idea.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think the biggest hurdle this series is going to have to deal with is that it really doesn't have the number of episodes to let things stew and build up. Avatar had something like 50-60 episodes to work with and it used virtually all of them for development post Season 1. Right now, Korra has less than half of that. It's clear that they are probably going to reveal Amon's identity by the end of the season, but it's not going to have the same impact it could have had if it had more time to build up to it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I like the fast pace so far, and holy shit the animation is gorgeous.

Korra's fire bending being the only light in the ep4 ambush was really cinematic

I'm also deeply in love with the setting.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I think the biggest hurdle this series is going to have to deal with is that it really doesn't have the number of episodes to let things stew and build up. Avatar had something like 50-60 episodes to work with and it used virtually all of them for development post Season 1. Right now, Korra has less than half of that. It's clear that they are probably going to reveal Amon's identity by the end of the season, but it's not going to have the same impact it could have had if it had more time to build up to it.
I totally agree. I'm remembering in Airbender, you don't even see Fire Lord Ozai for the longest time and it was so intense, in Korra we've already met Amon and can see at least some of what he can do.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I totally agree. I'm remembering in Airbender, you don't even see Fire Lord Ozai for the longest time and it was so intense, in Korra we've already met Amon and can see at least some of what he can do.
I think it works for this story though. Ozai had an entire nation at his command, so he really didn't need to take an active hand in the plot until the Gaang started heading for the Fire Nation. His threat was that he controlled a nigh unstoppable army that obeyed his every command and which had more than enough power to wipe the Earth Nation off the map once the comet came. The fact that he was also a very skilled firebender really wasn't that important.

On the other hand, Amon is essentially leading a revolution in a single city. His forces (while very skilled) are small in number compared to the police and bending population of the city. More to the point, his greatest threat is something that only he can do to people. He needs to take a more active role in the plot because if he didn't, we wouldn't know why he was so dangerous.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I think I still need to get used to the faster story pace. I adore the series, don't get me wrong, it's just much faster.

I'm also still dealing with what I thought was a sloppy reveal about Mako and Bolin's parents.

Also, also, I haven't seen the new episode yet, so...there's that.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, the warp speed story pace isn't sitting to well with me, but it's too early to tell.

David

David

New episode not up on the site yet :(

fade

fade

It's okay so far. I've watched the first two episodes. I like that the writers seem to know what so many shows don't: a strong female character doesn't have to be completely unlikeable. I'm waiting for the spectrum of personalities the original showed. I do like the leveled-up animation, and that's saying something, considering the original was nicely drawn. I was really hesitant in a Star Wars Prequels kind of way, but it looks like it might do all right.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Episode 4 spoilers (I mean it, watch the episode first):

From that quick flash at the end of the episode...IT'S THE GAANG!

Gusto

Gusto

Everyone looks so serious. :(

Hylian

Hylian

Episode 4 spoilers (I mean it, watch the episode first):

From that quick flash at the end of the episode...IT'S THE GAANG!

I was sad when Katara said that Sokka was dead cause I was really looking forward to seeing him all grown up but if they keep us supplied with flashbacks like this I think I can forgive them

Gusto

Gusto

I was sad when Katara said that Sokka was dead cause I was really looking forward to seeing him all grown up but if they keep us supplied with flashbacks like this I think I can forgive them
They kind of implied in this episode that Aang faced similar problems 42 years ago in Republic City - seems likely to me we'll get some Spirit Aang-related flashback as he advises Korra, similar to The Avatar and the Fire Lord.

Hylian

Hylian

They kind of implied in this episode that Aang faced similar problems 42 years ago in Republic City - seems likely to me we'll get some Spirit Aang-related flashback as he advises Korra, similar to The Avatar and the Fire Lord.

I am definitely looking forward to Spirit world Aang scenes. A few other things I hope we see in the spirit realm as well is Kol the face stealer and possibly Iroh. They mentioned that he had been to the spirit realm before so while unlikely I don't think it would be completely out of the question for us to see him at some point.

David

David

Still not online. The heck, nickelodeon?

Hylian

Hylian

While the legality of it is questionable there are quite a few places online that have the newest episodes for streaming

Piotyr

Piotyr

This earlier problem is what I think will eventually tie into Amon. Either the guy was a firebender and was energy-bended into submission by Aang and somehow picked up the technique, or something else related to the issue that we barely got a glimpse at so far.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Legend of Korra _ Mulan mash-up.jpg

fade

fade

Adult Toph looks a little more mannish than I would've thought. Maybe it's just a weird angle.

Gusto

Gusto

Adult Toph looks a little more mannish than I would've thought. Maybe it's just a weird angle.
Adult Toph looks like an adult with Baby Toph's head.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Toph hated everything lady-like. Not surprising.

Jay

Jay

Watched Ep 4 tonight, Miss Ford was lookin' good yo! heh, the animation of korra is very good.

Thought this episode started to finally slow down a bit. I much preferred the way Aang's story played out (I feel it was a bit too fast paced IMO for the first 3 episodes) but now that the narrative is set, we'll see how things pan out. Ep 4 was definitely a story builder episode.

Frank

Frank

I dunno, it still seemed VERY quick to me.

fade

fade

I have this feeling that Amon is a level 1 bad guy, and not the Big Bad.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I dreamed last night that the big reveal is that Amon is actually a woman. Seems a little far fetched.

ElJuski

ElJuski

As far as pretty much everything I know about pacing and direction goes, this was the episode that we met Amon's alter-ego. I seriously doubt the true identity is anyone that wasn't introduced or prominently featured in this episode.

KCWM

KCWM

As far as pretty much everything I know about pacing and direction goes, this was the episode that we met Amon's alter-ego. I seriously doubt the true identity is anyone that wasn't introduced or prominently featured in this episode.
For some reason, I thought it'd be Sato. Following your theory, he was an already established major character, especially one that's a non-bender, that was introduced in this last episode. If it were a woman, I'd suspect the daughter as well. It's far too convenient that she ran into Mako.

The pacing is fast, but I can overlook that. I definitely miss the small, character developing points from the first series, but this is obvious a very different creature. I can deal with that.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah the Asami-running-into-Mako thing seems a little too good to not be premeditated.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yeah the Asami-running-into-Mako thing seems a little too good to not be premeditated.
And she's pretty quick to already be "You make me feel so safe." Wut? It takes some pretty big daddy-issues to be snuggling up to a guy for safety that fast.

fade

fade

Yeah, she's really suspicious, but she's also a little obvious, which means she could be a red herring. Then again, it is a kid's show. I'm liking Sokka 2 Bolin.

ElJuski

ElJuski

The big three are the sheisty councilman, Asami, or Sato in my mind, with the former beating the latter. It's not going to be something insanely convoluted, and it has to be spelled out somewhat for the wee kids, and yeah, by the basic tenants of storytelling, that is exactly what that episode was tailored to do: show both human sides of The Avatar and The Villain.

fade

fade

My first thought was the councilman as well (can't recall his name). Hmm, a councilman making a power grab by faking some sort of menace that is a phantom. There's even a mutilated face involved.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I know, the similarities to Indiana Jones are uncanny.

Gusto

Gusto

I have a crazy theory based on not much information too.

...In fact, now that I'm trying to put it into words, it seems impossible.

Jay

Jay

Hylian

Hylian

I saw one theory that suggested Amon is the Cabbage Merchants son. Now while I highly doubt the possibility of it I must admit that the thought amuses me to no end.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Who says only one of them is involved? They could all be facets of the organization.

Hiroshi Sato's the financier and inventor for the organization. He designed all the vehicles and tools they use, built them in a secret area of his factory, and is backing all of it with the profits from his various enterprises. He's definitely involved, but I seriously doubt he's Amon. His involvement with the Fire Ferrets suggests that the leaders of the Antibenders really don't buy the propaganda or that they are going to serve some larger part of the plan, possibly to help sway the bending community late ron.

If Asami is involved, it's probably at her father's bequest. She will invariably REALLY fall for Mako and switch sides, but right now it's all part of the plan.

Tarrlok is the political guy and his motivations are likewise political: He wants complete control of Republic City. He's probably Amon, but he is WAY too obvious about it. I wouldn't be surprised if he's just a red herring to draw us away from who's really behind it.

I still say that Bei Fong is involved, but it's increasingly looking like she's doing it reluctantly. She really can't do anything to help Korra overtly or she'd be punished by whoever has the goods on her, so she's been having the Metal Benders come down hard on Korra so she can remove Korra from the city and thus protect her.

ElJuski

ElJuski

well...you know, that's convoluted, but we're only so far in, so who knows.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

well...you know, that's convoluted, but we're only so far in, so who knows.
Not really. Is it any more convoluted than Aang's attempts to find Bending masters? He'd always pick the wrong one the first time, then spend a long time searching for another. Honestly, this season has a definite conspiracy angle. Makes it feel a bit more mature as a show, since the plot isn't the default "Hero must save world" one that most series use.

I also like how Korra is having the opposite problem Aang had: He had a problem he could only confront head-on, but his religious views held him back from tackling the problem. It was only through outside intervention that he was even able to succeed at all. On the other hand, Korra is trying to confront this problem head-on, but the situation is really too delicate for her to be doing that and her foe basically has her at his mercy. She can't beat Amon and he only needs to touch her to make her helpless.

Wahad

Wahad

I don't get why people are all "Hiroshi and Asami are obviously evil!!!" Why do they have to be evil? Why can't they just be...rich people who help the protagonists? Not all rich people are evil, you know.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm not saying they're evil, just that it seems kinda convenient that she would run into him, start dating him, and introduce him to her father who immediately sponsors the team.

And I guarantee that 90% of the internet people who think Asami's evil only think so because she's getting in the way of their Makorra shipping.

fade

fade

It's also kind of a trope that people generously helping/loving the good guys early on turn out to be bad.

Jay

Jay

I did a quick google search for Asami Korra and.... Wow..... Rule 34 is strong with this one.

Wahad

Wahad

It's also kind of a trope that people generously helping/loving the good guys early on turn out to be bad.
Mostly I just want Hiroshi to be a jolly good chap sponsoring the Fire Ferrets. He seems like such a nice guy, I want him to stay that way. :(

Piotyr

Piotyr

I don't see that there has to be a motive anywhere beyond "I bet sponsoring the Avatar's pro bending team would be good publicity" for Sato.

I'm going to stick with Occam's razor until presented with a simpler explanation otherwise.

Gusto

Gusto

Hylian

Hylian

While I don't trust Asami or Hiroshi yet I have a hard time imagining Hiroshi outright working for Amon. I could easily see Hiroshi unknowingly working for Amon but I really am hoping he is not outright working for him. Maybe it is cause I enjoy the thought of him being a good guy cause he seems so nice and jolly (I know big red flag). Now Asami on the other hand as much as I would like her to be one of the good guys I get the feeling that her meeting with Mako seemed rather contrived. She just seems like a "to good to be true" setup.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Considering Amon has his own specialized motorcycles and bikes, unique to anything we've seen so far, it's a good bet that Sato is at least tangentially involved with the Antibenders. It's entirely possible that he was blackmailed into helping them or didn't know he was helping them, but it's almost a sure bet that he's involved on the technology side.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Considering Amon has his own specialized motorcycles and bikes, unique to anything we've seen so far, it's a good bet that Sato is at least tangentially involved with the Antibenders. It's entirely possible that he was blackmailed into helping them or didn't know he was helping them, but it's almost a sure bet that he's involved on the technology side.
That's kind of akin to saying that since Capone did a bunch of crimes using Ford vehicles that Ford was involved with Capone's crime.

Hylian

Hylian

I saw this GIF on Reddit and I thought you all would enjoy it

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That's kind of akin to saying that since Capone did a bunch of crimes using Ford vehicles that Ford was involved with Capone's crime.
No, it's more like if Capone committed a bunch of crimes using specially modified and unique versions of Ford's cars and Ford is the only guy in THE WORLD that knows how to make them. He may not be involved, but he sure as fuck knew what happened once people started talking about their vehicles.

I also just realized something: What's the point of armoring the car if your not going to be shot at? Water and Earth Benders can just flip the car over and the Fire benders can just force you out by heating the entire thing up once they've melted the tires, sort of like the Russians did to German tanks. Also, it would do jack crap to stop Metalbenders. It seems pointless.

Wahad

Wahad

No, it's more like if Capone committed a bunch of crimes using specially modified and unique versions of Ford's cars and Ford is the only guy in THE WORLD that knows how to make them. He may not be involved, but he sure as fuck knew what happened once people started talking about their vehicles.

I also just realized something: What's the point of armoring the car if your not going to be shot at? Water and Earth Benders can just flip the car over and the Fire benders can just force you out by heating the entire thing up once they've melted the tires, sort of like the Russians did to German tanks. Also, it would do jack crap to stop Metalbenders. It seems pointless.
It'll stop bolts of ice and rocks from puncturing the car and killing you while you're inside. Flipping the car won't necessarily kill you, and when you get out you still have your chi-blocking ninja skills to defend yourself.

Also Sato's not the only guy in the world to make cars. There's a rival company called Cabbage Corp which makes a compact, cost-efficient alternative to the Satomobile.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It'll stop bolts of ice and rocks from puncturing the car and killing you while you're inside. Flipping the car won't necessarily kill you, and when you get out you still have your chi-blocking ninja skills to defend yourself.

Also Sato's not the only guy in the world to make cars. There's a rival company called Cabbage Corp which makes a compact, cost-efficient alternative to the Satomobile.

Cabbage corp!?

No... It can't be

Wahad

Wahad

It's true. There's a thing on nick.com called "Welcome to Republic City'' or something along those lines that gives a bunch of background information.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Cabbage corp!?

No... It can't be
yesitis2.gif

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I don't get why people are all "Hiroshi and Asami are obviously evil!!!" Why do they have to be evil? Why can't they just be...rich people who help the protagonists? Not all rich people are evil, you know.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThereAreNoGoodExecutives

Wahad

Wahad

the very same article you just quoted said:
This trope can be Truth in Television, but just as likely not. While some businessmen are evil, deceptive, and depraved, it is extreme hyperbole to consider all of them to be so.
:thumbsup:

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

You seriously think I was unaware of that paragraph?

I just wanted to link to tv tropes.

Wahad

Wahad

You seriously think I was unaware of that paragraph?

I just wanted to link to tv tropes.
Yes, I was thanking you for providing support for my claim! (For what it's worth, given the informality of the site) Thumbs-up are a good thing! :p

Vagabond

Vagabond

Just caught up on all four episodes, geeze this series is moving fast. Amon isn't really coming off as a big bad, it seems to me like there will be an actual main antagonist further down the road.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I'm getting the same sort of feeling... like he's only mid-boss material, but he doesn't know that he's been manipulated.

I dunno tho... the strands are still too loose to be woven together at this point.
Also getting a feeling that this is going to be related to that incident from 42 years ago

figmentPez

figmentPez

Legend of Korra _ Cooking Mako.jpg

Hylian

Hylian

The greatest gif ever has been improved

figmentPez

figmentPez

I had a crazy idea, and I simply had to:

Manic Amon Day 2012_05_06.png

Hylian

Hylian

Granted this is dealing with the gang from TLA but I found it rather amusing.

http://booter-freak.deviantart.com/art/Avatar-Discovers-Shipping-97993291

And here is something to keep this post Korra related

http://terridelgado.tumblr.com/post/22715673543/quick-doodle-in-between-page-sets-for-work-and

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There was rule 34 of her out before her show even began. Avatar fans are sick.

Jay

Jay

Shipping?

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shipping

A term used to describe fan fictions that take previously created characters and put them as a pair. It usually refers to romantic relationships, but it can refer platonic ones as well. (Just think of "shipping" as short for "relationSHIP".)

Jay

Jay

arion.gif

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I remember when I learned what shipping was.

Time to repress that memory again.

Jay

Jay

Just watched the 5th episode. It's really well drawn and it's good but it constantly feels.... rushed. I guess I'll never get used to the pacing.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah fifth epsidoe was the best example of rushing so far?

"Want to see some relationships in Avatar!? HERE'S ALL OF 'EM!"

figmentPez

figmentPez

Nick is really pushing the 'shipping angle for the show, too:
tumblr_m3qot8t54Y1r8gdi4o1_1280.jpg

For those blissfully unaware of 'ship wars, Makorra = Mako + Korra and Borra = Bolin + Korra. Fans tend to fight pretty intensely over which characters should be together. Basically, Nickelodeon is poking at the more rabid portion of the fanbase, because the various 'ship wars for A:tLA fueled the fandom a lot. Once Bolin is fully out of the picture I imagine Makorra vs. Masami will be next for Nick to promote. (and cue all the Makorralin shippers who can't figure out why Nick won't publicly acknowledge them.)

Frank

Frank

Ship has now replaced butthurt and entitled as words that infuriate me and make me think less of the people that use them.

Jay

Jay

... yeah anyways.

Thus far, I like the characters overall, I like Korra, I love the drawing style, storyline is suspect and the timing of it feels off. I don't understand why they didn't book more episodes to start with. This is a cash cow for them.

And it would have prevented the rushy feel I get from the show.

It feels far less than Avatar than it should. It's like.... a bender with dating issues.

Gusto

Gusto

... yeah anyways.

Thus far, I like the characters overall, I like Korra, I love the drawing style, storyline is suspect and the timing of it feels off. I don't understand why they didn't book more episodes to start with. This is a cash cow for them.

And it would have prevented the rushy feel I get from the show.

It feels far less than Avatar than it should. It's like.... a bender with dating issues.
At best, it feels like an Avatar-themed DnD campaign, which I can definitely get behind.

At worst, it feels like Avatar fanfiction, with all the shipping and fanservice so far.

It feels the most like it's own show when it's somewhere in between, which for me, was the second and fourth episodes so far.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The problem with the pacing is that the show doesn't have a lot of time for breather episodes so everyone can catch their breath. Next season is getting more eps, so it should be a bit calmer.

BananaHands

BananaHands